Dick Cheney's new memoir

What are you willing to wager that Cheney’s book sells more than the above (link to the) website has in daily readers? ;)

not to worry... that same article I linked to appears across a broad swath of progressive sites... check it out; you know, extend a bit beyond your earlier posts showcasing of your Livin' la Vida Loca, Faux News talking heads, name dropping!

notwithstanding his attempts to re-write history, Cheney's "I'm not guilty" book tour is simply laying the preemptive ground work, trying to ensure that no one, "will Pinochet him!":

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell's longtime aide and chief of staff, Col. Lawrence Wilkerson: In no uncertain terms. Cheney, Wilkerson told ABC News, "was president for all practical purposes for the first term of the Bush administration" and "fears being tried as a war criminal."

Before serving as Powell's chief of staff while Powell was Secretary of State, Wilkerson worked in the first Bush administration as a special assistant to Powell, who was then Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and Cheney was serving as Secretary of Defense. He's known Cheney for decades, but says now, "I simply don't recognize Mr. Cheney anymore" and calling him a "very vindictive person."

"I think he's just trying to, one, assert himself so he's not in some subsequent time period tried for war crimes and, second, so that he somehow vindicates himself because he feels like he needs vindication. That in itself tells you something about him," Wilkerson told ABC News, explaining that Cheney may have "angst" because of receiving deferments instead of serving in the Vietnam War like Wilkerson and others in the administration.

"He's developed an angst and almost a protective cover, and now he fears being tried as a war criminal so he uses such terminology as 'exploding heads all over Washington' because that's the way someone who's decided he's not going to be prosecuted acts: boldly, let's get out in front of everybody, let's act like we are not concerned and so forth when in fact they are covering up their own fear that somebody will Pinochet him," Wilkerson said alluding to the former Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet, who was arrested for war crimes.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Derek L

not to worry... that same article I linked to appears across a broad swath of progressive sites... check it out; you know, extend a bit beyond your earlier posts showcasing of your Livin' la Vida Loca, Faux News talking heads, name dropping!

notwithstanding his attempts to re-write history, Cheney's "I'm not guilty" book tour is simply laying the preemptive ground work, trying to ensure that no one, "will Pinochet him!":

“Pinochet him”? :lol: The Obama administration halted all investigations into the CIA’s use of “extraordinary rendition” of terror suspects....Cheney has nothing to worry about.

“Pinochet him”? :lol: The Obama administration halted all investigations into the CIA’s use of “extraordinary rendition” of terror suspects....Cheney has nothing to worry about.

He sure doesn't, because ER was developed by the CIA for the Clinton administration! :)

...It's funny, I’m surprised you knew about that....I thought only the Liberal party and the CBC made a big deal over Somalia.....

Knew about it? I have a copy!

As you said, low blow, but just part of my rigorous preparation to do battle with the America haters 'round here.

Guest Derek L

Knew about it? I have a copy!

As you said, low blow, but just part of my rigorous preparation to do battle with the America haters 'round here.

Well the entire thing was a national embarrassment....not the handful of soldiers that committed the crime, but the government’s witch hunt and use of the affair to implement further cuts to DND, and ultimately axing the CAR.

Guest Derek L

Yes....Canada needed a Dick Cheney! ;)

Exactly, and by no means do I think that those involved shouldn’t have had the book thrown at them, but disband the entire regiment and cut the budget by ~20%?……Yeah we could have used a Cheney (Whom was making sensible budget cutting decisions at the time)

Guest American Woman

Regarding Cheney's book - ultimately, all it is is his take on events. I think one has to keep that in mind, especially as he speaks of other people. In other words, it's not based on "facts" so much as it is based on Cheney's memory/take on things.

more updates... they just write themselves!

inundated with updates... keep em coming!!!

rejected Cheney memoir titles:

-

- The Satanic Verses

- Being The Best Dick I Could Be

-
War
5 Deferments is Hell!

- Behind The Frog Walk

- You Don't Know Dick

- Dick (uncut)

- ChickenHawk Yo' Mama

- The Schlock Doctrine

- Don't Plame Me

- What I Thought I Knew

- Cheney 43

- My Inner Santorum

- War & A Piece Of The Action

- From The Hague (An Extraordinary Rendition)

feel free to add your own!

Guest Derek L

Regarding Cheney's book - ultimately, all it is is his take on events. I think one has to keep that in mind, especially as he speaks of other people. In other words, it's not based on "facts" so much as it is based on Cheney's memory/take on things.

For sure, even in his interview with Chris Wallace this morning, he states that his book is his take on his time in public office/service...

The guy is defiantly not running for a popularity contest (I don’t think he care what people think about him)

Dick Cheney's final approval rating before leaving office, according to a CBS News/New York Times poll, was 13%. When virtually nobody in the country thinks you're doing your job well (even many hardcore Republicans/conservatives), the only way to preserve your ego is to "rationalize" this unpopularity by thinking things (ridiculously) the way he does, ie: "well, I made the unpopular decisions and it kept America safe from another terror attack, so in the end i'm awesome".

The other reason why he doesn't care what people think of him, now or while in office, is because he's an asshole.

...and said his deepest regret was accidentally shooting his friend quail hunting,

Well, let's assume that is actually true. Because, of course, anything this man says must be taken with a grain of salt because he is a notorious and masterful liar (even for a politician), one of the most "successful" liars in modern history.

Recent Daily Mail article:

He backed the torture of prisoners, Guantanamo Bay and the invasion of Iraq. But now Dick Cheney has revealed that one of his greatest regrets was not related to the war on terror - it was shooting a friend on a hunting trip. The former vice president said that when he looked back at his career, the incident in 2006 when he blasted Harry Whittington leaving him injured was among 'the saddest of my life'.

If Cheney isn't lying about this, it just shows how disconnected from reality the man is. Shoot a buddy in the face? Sad. Tell Georgie to drop bombs on many thousands of innocent civilians? No problem! I wonder how "sad" Dick would feel if he had to personally shoot all those now-dead Iraqis in the face? I guess Dick find it much easier to fire arms at other human beings from the comfort of his office an ocean away than to actually pull the trigger next the victim.

**To others in the thread who responded to my OP, i may post a reply eventually, though it may be slow since this topic gives me a brain aneurysm.

2 other things of note:

1) If I ever do read Cheney's book of lies, I will borrow it from the library rather than buy it new, because there is no freaking way i'm giving a dime to that crook.

2) I find the timing of the book release quite disgusting. The guy is on death's door, so i speculate he wrote the memoir not too long after office and its been ready to ship for a while now. He & the publisher probably delayed the release so that it wouldn't compete with W. Bush's recent memoir. Whatever the case, it is obvious he and/or the publisher have chosen to release the book close to the 9/11 anniversary in order to cash-in, but smartly chose to release it far enough away not to overtly look like they were doing so (ie: if they had released it this week or next). Seems like Dick is still milking the 9/11 cow for personal gain. :angry:

...If Cheney isn't lying about this, it just shows how disconnected from reality the man is.

Why the hell would Dick Cheney, or any member of any administration feel more sorry about executing national security policies compared to a personal tragedy? What should Ted Kennedy have felt worse about....killing Mary Jo Kopechne or the Hart-Celler Act...or Rwanda...or Kosovo...or Haiti?

Guest Derek L

Dick Cheney's final approval rating before leaving office, according to a CBS News/New York Times poll, was 13%. When virtually nobody in the country thinks you're doing your job well (even many hardcore Republicans/conservatives), the only way to preserve your ego is to "rationalize" this unpopularity by thinking things (ridiculously) the way he does, ie: "well, I made the unpopular decisions and it kept America safe from another terror attack, so in the end i'm awesome".

The other reason why he doesn't care what people think of him, now or while in office, is because he's an asshole.

The guy is damned if does and damned if he doesn’t………..personally, I respect a politician that doesn’t carry out his job based on opinion polls………..ie Dick Cheney & W.

As for being an asshole, doesn’t bug me, he did what he thought was right, made millions, wrote book and is now retired and can spend his remaining days hunting and fishing…………I admire that, and heart attacks aside, would hope to be in his position when I reach 70.

Guest Derek L

9-5-11 Amazon Best Sellers Rank:

#7 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)

#1 in Books > History > Americas > United States

#1 in Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Historical

#2 in Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Leaders & Notable People > Political

Nail...Head...Hammer

I'll probably swing by a store and pick up mine sometime this week........ :D

The guy is damned if does and damned if he doesn’t………..personally, I respect a politician that doesn’t carry out his job based on opinion polls………..ie Dick Cheney & W.

I respect politicians who are effective, and who respect the rule of law, due process rights, y'know crazy things like that.

As for being an asshole, doesn’t bug me, he did what he thought was right,

Everyone does what they think is right. Some people are just wrong on what they think is right.

and heart attacks aside, would hope to be in his position when I reach 70.

One foot in hell?

Guest Derek L

I respect politicians who are effective, and who respect the rule of law, due process rights, y'know crazy things like that.

Effective? The Bush administration, with the hand it was dealt, was rather effective in my view in terms of national defence, homeland security etc......

Due process and the rule of law? How did Cheney not respect it?

Everyone does what they think is right. Some people are just wrong on what they think is right.

That statement is pure conjecture..............Again I'll ask, how many terror attacks have there been on the United States since 9/11? If Homeland defence was the cornerstone focus of the administration, I feel they did more things right than wrong………actions speak louder than words..........

One foot in hell?

Why not, I’m sure the Devil could always use another advocate ;)

What are you willing to wager that Cheney’s book sells more than the above (link to the) website has in daily readers? ;)

But not as much as Danielle Steele novels, which means that the latter are superior, wiser, and that you should choose her over Cheney's memoir.

But at any rate, I have no opinion on the man's book...as I haven't read it. A crazy method of criticism, I know! :)

Edited by bloodyminded