Sun TV sets complaints record

M.Dancer

Sun TV earned a record number of complaints over an interview with modern dancer Margie Gillis over why she has received 1.2 million in public funding over 13 years.

The interview is funny, not always intentionally. I didn't find it offensive....I assume that the complaints are by those who consider an attack of public funding of fringe culture to be an attack on civilization...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/complaints-about-sun-news-interpretive-dance-interview-overwhelm-watchdog/article2078995/

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/search/dance/a-lack-of-compassion/971454253001

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/television/john-doyle/sun-news-network-canadas-new-comedy-central-tv/article2052345/

Personally, I have had modern dance inflicted on me...

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sun TV earned a record number of complaints over an interview with modern dancer Margie Gillis over why she has received 1.2 million in public funding over 13 years.

No amount of quality programming could result in an increase in viewership than having thousands of complaints lodged against them accompanied by widespread media coverage. Sun TV is lapping it up.

Gillis' message is that interpretive dance will save us from something, what, I don't know. But she's been bringing us her message for some 39 years and over 1M dollars later, we still don't get it. :huh:

No amount of quality programming could result in an increase in viewership than having thousands of complaints lodged against them accompanied by widespread media coverage. Sun TV is lapping it up.

Gillis' message is that interpretive dance will save us from something, what, I don't know. But she's been bringing us her message for some 39 years and over 1M dollars later, we still don't get it. :huh:

I had the same impression. This woman (and her dance troupe) have received over $1.2 million from taxpayers during the past 13 years or so and she then claims that Canada is lacking compassion.

When people like Margie Gillis claim that taxpayers should support "the arts", it is hard not to see this as a self-serving argument that amounts to personal greed: she wants us to support her. She of course will deny that vehemently and claim that she is a generous, caring person who is sacrificing for the good of humanity etc, etc.

As to the complaints, I believe that the CBSC has received about 4000 complaints. Wow.

I had the same impression. This woman (and her dance troupe) have received over $1.2 million from taxpayers during the past 13 years or so and she then claims that Canada is lacking compassion.

Did you bother to watch the interview or did you come up with this just like all those movies you like to complain about without watching?

Yes, it is....

I was impressed with how rude the Sun host was, and was also impressed at how the dancer held her cool. If that is what can be expected out of that station, it would seem that I am lucky that I haven't subjected myself to more of it... along with the vast majority of other viewers.

When people like Margie Gillis claim that taxpayers should support "the arts", it is hard not to see this as a self-serving argument that amounts to personal greed: she wants us to support her.

While I know what you're getting at, I think the word 'greed' is misplaced here.

merriam-webster.com says "Definition of GREED

: a selfish and excessive desire for more of something (as money) than is needed"

Keeping in mind that this person wants to work for this money, but wants the government to augment what she would normally earn - the word GREED seems out of bounds. If you called everybody who gets protection or help from the government in this way, you could argue that a lot of people are greedy.

The other problem I have against this kind of story is that it hijacks a portion of the public energy - that COULD be used to consider priorities - and gives them a useless kind of moralistic entertainment. Finger wagging against people who skim off a couple of thousand.

Why don't we have a television show about eHealth ? If we're really so concerned about government waste, why do we only talk about it when it serves a human need ?

Krista Erickson Rawx!!!!

I was clearly a set up interview, so she must have known what she was getting into. The topic was wasting taxpayer money.

I don't understand, arts is important just cuz? This lady is essentially a public servant. Cuz she makes her living off the taxpayers dime.

How is what she does good for the "collective"? Is she a Borg? Has anyone heard of her before this thread?

Isn't 1.2m/13 years pretty small potatoes compared to oil sands subsidies?

It irks me greatly to see a company post 'profits' equal to its subsidies.

It is. And isn't modern interpretive dance nonsense, compared to the oil sands?

You can agree or disagree with the dancer's funding, but that interview was an utter garbage piece of journalism. The host completely ambushed her & very rudely ripped her apart. The dancer kept her composure and completed the interview gracefully.
This dancer takes $1.2 million from taxpayers, has the audacity to claim that we are lacking in compassion while simultaneously arguing that she is contributing to humanity - and then you criticize a journalist for simply raising the question.

There are a long line of moochers in Canada and it is time that somebody started to call them to account.

----

I know that Margie Gillis does not perceive herself as a thief but once you get by all the artsy-fartsy, helping humanity, what's teh difference?

While I know what you're getting at, I think the word 'greed' is misplaced here.

merriam-webster.com says "Definition of GREED

: a selfish and excessive desire for more of something (as money) than is needed"

Keeping in mind that this person wants to work for this money, but wants the government to augment what she would normally earn - the word GREED seems out of bounds. If you called everybody who gets protection or help from the government in this way, you could argue that a lot of people are greedy.

MH, I am tired of people (such as Gillis) who claim to be doing something good for society at great personal sacrifice when in fact they benefit personally.

It's like an artist who decries the "balance sheet mentality" of society while applying for a Canada Council grant. It's self-serving, hypocritical and, yes, greedy.

Signed,

The .0001% of the population that give two shets about modern and interpretive dance.

I watched some of 'So you think you can dance Canada' this week and there's no question contemporary dance is a bit strange looking but it's also amazing to see what these young people can do and how committed they are. Have you never been to a major production like Hair, Cats, etc to see a finished product? The arts are supposed to take us out of ourselves for a while and refresh and challenge our minds. I con't help but notice that the naysayers seem like they could benefit from a bit of that. Of course for some it's fishing or watching sports that does it but for a lot of people it's the arts. Cheap at the price imo.

Erikson looked like moronic idiot!

I watched some of 'So you think you can dance Canada' this week and there's no question contemporary dance is a bit strange looking but it's also amazing to see what these young people can do and how committed they are. Have you never been to a major production like Hair, Cats, etc to see a finished product? The arts are supposed to take us out of ourselves for a while and refresh and challenge our minds. I con't help but notice that the naysayers seem like they could benefit from a bit of that. Of course for some it's fishing or watching sports that does it but for a lot of people it's the arts. Cheap at the price imo.

There's a difference between what this lady does and downtown musicals like say Lion King, Billy Elliot, Phantom, Mamma Mia, etc. Those productions actually make money, people go see them because they are professional and well done.

I doubt the productions this lady puts together actually make a red cent.

BTW this shet is why the Conservatives didn't win a majority in 2008, Quebecers feel entitled to have their arts paid for by the taxpayer.

The dance you see on SYTYCD and a theatrical production and the style of dance you see performed by Gillis is like the difference between Krieghoff and Pollock....

Some prefer pole dancers....and an incredibly small amount pay to see chair dancers

There's a difference between what this lady does and downtown musicals like say Lion King, Billy Elliot, Phantom, Mamma Mia, etc. Those productions actually make money, people go see them because they are professional and well done.

I doubt the productions this lady puts together actually make a red cent.

BTW this shet is why the Conservatives didn't win a majority in 2008, Quebecers feel entitled to have their arts paid for by the taxpayer.

Where do they get the trained dancers to hire for major productions? Used to be only rich kids could dance.

How do you feel about subsidizing Olympic athletes? Used to be only rich kids could be Olympians too.

Where do they get the trained dancers to hire for major productions? Used to be only rich kids could dance.

How do you feel about subsidizing Olympic athletes? Used to be only rich kids could be Olympians too.

Most post-secondary education in Canada is subsidized by the government. So what?

In Mississauga, Ontario there is a high-school devoted to exclusively to children that excel at the arts.

This women is hitting the gumint up for trips to other places to do her irrelevant form of art. If there is a demand for art you shouldn't need government subsidies.

When people like Margie Gillis claim that taxpayers should support "the arts", it is hard not to see this as a self-serving argument that amounts to personal greed: she wants us to support her. She of course will deny that vehemently and claim that she is a generous, caring person who is sacrificing for the good of humanity etc, etc.

What a ridiculous ad hominem.

This dancer takes $1.2 million from taxpayers, has the audacity to claim that we are lacking in compassion while simultaneously arguing that she is contributing to humanity - and then you criticize a journalist for simply raising the question.

No, Erickson (I would refrain from dignifying her with the title of journalist) wasn't raising a questions. She was engaging in the same kind of ad hominem attack you are here. There is an argument to be made against government funding of the arts: you or Erickson aren't making it, though.

There are a long line of moochers in Canada and it is time that somebody started to call them to account.

Like former CBC employee Krista Erickson, who was paid by the taxpayer and at one point, got to travel across the country on the taxpayer's nickel because she was schtupping Calgary MP Lee Richardson?

I know that Margie Gillis does not perceive herself as a thief but once you get by all the artsy-fartsy, helping humanity, what's teh difference?

Are you fucking serious? Or just fucking stupid?

MH, I am tired of people (such as Gillis) who claim to be doing something good for society at great personal sacrifice when in fact they benefit personally.

It's like an artist who decries the "balance sheet mentality" of society while applying for a Canada Council grant. It's self-serving, hypocritical and, yes, greedy.

So nobody should ever advocate for anything from which they may benefit personally?

Also the irony of a Quebecker and sovereignty sympathizer bleating about self-interest and greed is just too rich.

There is an argument to be made against government funding of the arts: you or Erickson aren't making it, though.

For the most part, the interview was meant to raise awareness that some arts funding by taxpayers is questionable. It is then up to taxpayers to decide whether they want their taxes spent on that or some other government initiatives.

For your viewing pleasure, the ultimate in interpretive dance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EojO8HhIdhs

Cooks of the world unite!!!

That was....moving.

I especially liked how the sound of the river mimicked the sound of onions sautéing in a sauce pan while the interpretive dance effected the condition of a poached egg plunged into the simmering soup.

I feel that in a small way, the world is so much better now.

That was....moving.

Did you notice the steady cadence of the dancer's movements? That's intentional so as to draw you into the performance. That's the beauty.

I feel that in a small way, the world is so much better now.

And...it encourages the use of oven mitts resulting in fewer burns to whoever is cooking. Everyone wins.