Sun TV sets complaints record

M.Dancer

I'm free market,

No you're not.

he's just ignorant......he wants to gut the civil service to help out this women making 32k a year......Why would someone like me pay her 32k a year when I could hire a newly unemployed civil servant for 26k.......

The real lady in the story was making 50k. 32k is average salary for most private sector, non unionized Canadians. They get hit the hardest when there's new taxes to fund a new gov't spending (civil servant) project.

We need to stop immigration, and to fuel job growth, civil servants will be available. Good luck to them in the private sector. They don't know what's going to hit them.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm free market, he's just ignorant......he wants to gut the civil service to help out this women making 32k a year......Why would someone like me pay her 32k a year when I could hire a newly unemployed civil servant for 26k.......

Public service aside,nothing like that race to the bottom to see who can undercut the other the most,huh?

$100K per year to a foundation is quite a bit of money.If it worth it? That's debatable. But don't play mathematical games with us to try to pull the wool over our eyes - this is but one of many thousands of examples of taxpayer funds going to niche interests of questionable public utility.

It was less than $100k per year and that money either went to her as a grant or the foundation. How many other dancers and organizations received nothing? It would be very unusual for them to award a grant to everyone that applies.

This just seems like a failed segment from any perspective. Erickson clearly has the view that the government should not fund the arts. That's fine: I don't agree with her but I can see why someone would. Still, the example she provides here doesn't really seem to support her outrage. The woman is a highly accomplished, widely respected, and experienced artist with an admirable attitude. She was humble, polite, and articulate. The clip Erickson played did not seem ridiculous: There was obvious evidence of real technical skill, for one thing. The numbers that rolled down the screen were not egregious. $1M over 13 years for a major foundation isn't really a jaw-dropping figure (at all!), as government funding goes. It's not as though Margie Gillis is living a luxury lifestyle on the taxpayer dime. Gillis' quote about "compassion" was not extreme, terribly offensive, or treasonous. If someone was already reasonably comfortable with public arts funding, it seems unlikely that this example would sway them. If someone agreed with Erickson in the first place, they wouldn't even need the segment.

If Erickson really wanted to make a point, maybe she'd be better off going to the abstract expressionist room of the National Gallery and screeching at Newmans' Voice of Fire: "We paid $1.6M for ONE PAINTING! THREE FREAKING STRIPES THAT MY KID COULD HAVE DONE! No one will ever even get to look at them unless they come to Ottawa!" Or maybe she could find some 25-year-old hipster noise rocker in Montreal with separatist leanings and a drug habit. Then she could get them to say something really obnoxious on air and question why taxpayers should support them.

Man, I should work for Sun.

Edited by Evening Star

The woman is a highly accomplished

Only because Canadians pay her a hundred thousand a year and paper the shows she performs at (the gov't departments buy tickets with tax dollars and give them to themselves for free.. I used to work at the gov't and there was always free tickets going around. I got taken to countless events. I grew up in Ottawa keep in mind.).

If she was accomplished, she wouldn't be relying on tax payer funds. Most people in the arts get nothing. This woman is just a 'lottery winner' chosen elite of the elite class of Canadians.

I've never heard of the lady, neither does anyone I know.

Guest Derek L

Are you kidding?

The problem is we're ALL getting too many taxes taken away from us. I don't believe in giving certain privileged over another. This is why I agree only with a flat tax. It's fair for everyone, and everything.

There's one reality you have to face though. If taxes are cut, the civil service will have to be cut big time. I'm talking big time. Look I'm from Ottawa. I worked for the Department Of National Defense. All my friends were civil servants. I'm from the culture. I know it very well. We can't continue to hire people into these 'play office' make work jobs where they sit around and pat each other on the back for 5 days a week, 4-6 hours a day.

You want to know what my role was at the Department of National Defense? You want to know what they spent HUNDREDS of thousands of dollars on? For some reason I've kept my mouth shut about this all these years but here it goes..

They wanted a guy to go around the building with an expensive, new $2000, 3mp 'digital camera' taking pictures of important people around the building. Mug shots with smiles. They wanted me, to build an automated organizational chart that would show who was in the chain of command (again just to pump their own egos.. I was told it's a military thing and very important to them). You won't believe this next part.

They bought a massive, pro level PLOTTER with insanely expensive, thick, rolls of poster paper (extremely high quality). And get this. They wanted me to print out this MASSIVE colour org chart the size of a 65" Plasma TV (in those days, this was VERY high tech and VERY expensive), and get this..

They were actually going to bring in professionals get CUSTOM GLASS FRAMES AND WOOD BORDER put around them, and then hang them outside of the elevator on each floor!!!!! LOL!!

And get this.. you absolutely won't believe this. This project was going on for TWO YEARS!!!

And the last kicker.. that last thing that makes your jaw drop. It was raised the fact that there's so many people that come and go each week it would be impossible to update it. And the answer was, they were going to hire students TO DO NOTHING BUT LOOK AFTER THE ORG CHART!!

There's was problems printing the org chart through the plotter. They hired a student for 8 MONTHS to get it to print through and she couldn't do it. An Asian immigrant student. On my second day there, I printed through the plotter in 2 days.

The org chart thing continued since after I left.

A couple years passed. I was about to move to Toronto from Ottawa. And as fait had it, I saw a guy that I used to work with. I asked about the org chart project and how it was going.

It was scrapped. 2 years, various employees. Full time staff. All for some 'org chart that might be nice to look at when people are going in and out of elevators'. Near quote of the justification.

I can sit for HOURS telling more stories like this. Especially some of the stuff the other employees were doing.

I worked 5 hours a day. Had 2 hours of break time in between. Shopped during work hours at the Rideau Center all the time... i mean everyone did.. it wasn't just me. I sat at the bench at the Canal smoking cigarettes and talking on the phone.

I once looked up at the DND building and thought.. man.. this is the life. I love this job. I'm so happy to be here. I'm so glad I went to school. I had no idea the office place was this 'easy'. I love this country.

But I was a young ignorant, idiot back then and I didn't realize the people I was hurting by my involvement with the gov't. It wasn't my fault.. I was just doing what I thought was right.

So, why did you leave your cushy civil servant job? Who was your manager/supervisor at the puzzle factory? Did you get fired? Laid off?…….Is someone a disgruntled former civil servant?

Guest Derek L

No you're not.

The real lady in the story was making 50k. 32k is average salary for most private sector, non unionized Canadians. They get hit the hardest when there's new taxes to fund a new gov't spending (civil servant) project.

We need to stop immigration, and to fuel job growth, civil servants will be available. Good luck to them in the private sector. They don't know what's going to hit them.

Ahh, so she’s not making 32k a year, you just used that number for dramatic effect?…..So you want to stop immigration to lessen competion in the job market and drive up wages? Well, since you’re a free marketer, you’d probably realise that if labour costs rise too much, the work will follow those immigrants overseas…

Krista Erickson moves her hands while she speaks a bit too much. Her contentious demeanour is almost an amplified version of certain Fox News and MSNBC personalities. And yes, that was definitely uncomfortable to watch. Erickson could've made her point, which I think is a valid one in a broad sense, in a much more effective way.

As far as whether or not she should be terminated, of course that's in the hands of Sun TV.

She is typical of a certain type of Canadian woman. Kind of mildly trashy - sort of exotic...smart enough to get by if she does her home work. There seems to be a policy at Sun, apparently to be as abrasive as possible - irreverant..and so on....it might be their buisness plan to present as they do. This is the work of the program director along with others...to create a certain type of flavour that pricks like me appreciate - but when they over do it. It appears phoney - They might and should grow into something useful...but dependence on a form of the cult of personality should be avoided - Removing all filters when debating might be a mistake - conservatives are suppose to be clever and clear moderates...these guys are attemping to redesign conservatism _ they should get back to the roots!

Is there such thing as a rational right wing television network?

Is it impossible for them to not bully people and actually discuss facts?

:lol:

I think you've just hit on a serious oxymoron...

Kinda like "military intelligence"...

Sadly,they're bullies by nature...

But we all know what bullies really are...

Edited by Jack Weber

Absolutely...

Bullies are blowhard cowards when they are stood up to...

The Sun Gal was expressing the feelings of those insensitive people who don't enjoy the thot of donating tax money to ladies who sit on a chair & act like someone who has just eaten the wrong type of mushroom or has tasted of the Morning Glory or perhaps funding the of display of rotting meat or feces smeared on a canvas. What type of uncultured boors are these dullards?? we need 2.5 million dollar canvases with colorful horizontal lines across the middle.

For shame Sun Gal.

So, why did you leave your cushy civil servant job? Who was your manager/supervisor at the puzzle factory? Did you get fired? Laid off?…….Is someone a disgruntled former civil servant?

I was student.

If I was in the union and a real civil servant, there's no way I would have left.

I would have turned out a different person though that's for sure.

Capricorn, I like how Black Dog equates objections to funding nice interests such as this interpretive dancing lady with opposing valid public endeavour such as transportation and defense. He basically implied that you were some sort of anarchist due to your questioning the public utility of funding such artistic pursuits from the public purse.

Wow where is Charles Anthony running around banning everyone on this thread?

After all, I got banned twice for making comments similar but in an anti left context.

But everyone is able to persecute someone on the right, and then it's ok to degrade her because she's a woman and not take her seriously and just talk about her private parts.

And this coming from the LEFT? tsk tsk.. shows you how biased and far left this forum is.

Well what do you expect.. mlf are the same as this Maggie Gills on the video where they both collect direct public subsidies to fund their lifestyles.

Our friend Boges is a rightie.

Your point undermined, and failed. By literally 180 degrees. Nice work.

That's a very good question.

See, this is not idealism. This is based on a true story.

An old co-worker has a degree, medium income job, two daughters. Is divorced. Lives in a 1200sq ft shoebox.

Like MANY in the *PRIVATE* sector (the underclass in Canada), she spends 11 HOURS a day commuting and working ALL WEEK. This is not uncommon to anyone in the private sector. With the traffic and commute, this is our full day. Not a 5 hour postal worker day or 3 day nurse work weeks.

Anyhow, what her TOILET breaks as well as the pipe under the bathtub. They are connected. She had to go OUT OF TOWN, STAY AT HER MOTHERS HOUSE WITH HER KIDS BECAUSE SHE COULDN'T AFFORD TO FIX THE LEAK SO ENDED UP TRAVELING EVERY DAY FOR LIKE 14 HOURS FOR 2 WEEKS WHILE SHE SAVED MONEY TO PAY TO FIX THE LEAK. This was a woman in her lat 30's.

You see.. her job is to look after her kids and try to raise them properly. This is why she SACRIFICES to work everyday.

But the Civil Service, thinks that HER JOB IS TO SEND MONEY INTO THEIR POCKETS. That is the ONLY reason for her existence in Canada is to give money to inexperienced pretend professionals 'playing office' on make-work projects. This is how our gov't thinks of the private sector. We are just managed objects that are there to send them money.

WRONG. She exists to look after HER HOME, HER KIDS. As a CITIZEN.

She's not meant to be some money tree for Stephon Dionne's personal agenda and green programs or a pension for some fat civil servant in agriculture Canada at Dow's Lake in Ottawa who 'plays office' for 5 hours a day.

So here is an oppressed woman and children, a VICTIM of our own gov't punishing her for the fact that she's not part of the elite class of civil servants. 1 in 4 workers that report working full time at a 'usual place of work', work for the civil service.

How do you fix the problem with her? Simple. LET HER KEEP HER OWN MONEY. GET THE GOV'T OUT OF HER POCKETS. GIVE HER FREEDOM.

Question: She has a degree.. she must get paid a lot

Reality: Most degree's are only good these days for getting a job in the civil service who take on communistic style credential-ism practices. The private sector values work experience much more over credential-ism. Also, too many people in Canada have degrees so it means nothing. To see more on this subject, click here. Law of supply and demand, if the private sector doesn't demand education (which they often don't), and everyone has a degree, it does not help your salary that often in the real private sector.

Question: Why does she live in a shoe box?

Reality: Gov't has land. Gov't will not sell a plot to YOU anymore. Gov't now takes bribes from 'land developers' who buy large acreage. The land developers buy the land and pay a HUGE amount of taxes on 'fees' on the land. It's pretty much a racket. A shakedown. The land developers now these days cover the cost of the sewage, power lines, etc. Then land owners will sit on the land for years until the market gets hot. The land then gets sold to 'housing builders'. These are companies you are likely familiar with. When this transfer happens, there is more OUTRAGEOUS fees and taxes to the gov't. The land gets plotted up, and homes get built on them in a sub division. They estimate, that $40,000 of the little 1200sq ft row home is now some direct and indirect tax fee. Since the taxes are now so high on each home, the FINAL COST to consumer must be lower so they can actually afford to buy it. So Canada has all this land, yet UK style shoe box homes. NOW YOU KNOW WHY! AND WHO HAS TO PAY THIS INFLATED FEE? THE SINGLE MOM THAT'S WHO! There's $300 a month she has to pay ultimately to the gov't for the next 35 years! WHOOPEE! Since she can't afford a larger home, she has to go in all kinds of dept to provide her kids with some sort of home and life. She's forced to get a longer term mortgage and get gouged with interest just to have her kids have some sort of happy life as a citizen.

Question: I'm not sure that would make a difference

Answer: Well mommy commutes back and forth. I know many would like to see her take a communist subway or some sort of Russia Korea mode of travel, but here we still have cars and they are a necessity with children. Not for the idiot civil servant in Ottawa working at Tunney's Pasture who get their OWN PRIVATE EMPTY BUSES TO DROP THEM OFF AT THEIR DOORSTEP (not making that up) AND PRIVATE BUS ROADS WITH NO TRAFFIC, NO LIGHTS, AND NO CARS ALLOWED.

-When mommy spends $260 each month on gas, surprise surprise, $100 of that goes to the civil servants pockets. Now she's up to $400 a month.

-Her cel phone and TV are much higher than other countries so ad another $20 for those items. -Her car. Yes the car. The car that she is spending $200 a month on. A good $30 is indirectly going to big brother.

-Then there's her mortgage insurance, vehicle licensing, plates, stickers, home owners insurance. Add all those small things up and put another $50 a month.

Now the gov't is stealing $450 a month from her.

-Oh and how can we forget the energy bills, heat, hydro, water, natural gas. Let's ad $50 a month for her civil servant fee.

Now we're up to $500 a month. Wow that's a lot. If it was for the gov't, she'd have lower price houses, lower interest rates, and she would have a bigger home, better life, and her kids would grow up happy Canadians.

And you know what I purposely did? I didn't even touch the banks, credit cards, HST or income tax. I left those out. What I'm talking about is indirect, hidden, gov't backed fees that we all pay that we don't realize. It's hidden in gas, insurnace, credit cards, energy bills.

These are the real reasons she is struggling so bad. She gets HALF of her money taken from her indirectly, in order to put into an elite class of citizens who 'play office' all day. She gets her money stolen from her to give to other peoples pockets of the public service salaries, pension, and benefits.

So when some ARTIST ELITE sits there and says that SHE SACRIFICES, nahnahnah NO. She has NO IDEA what the hell sacrificing is. She should see how it's like to WORK FOR A LIVING. We have a sick, corrupt, 2-tier society of privileged, and non privileged and I shouldn't be having to send money into this lady's pockets so she can travel around the world and enjoy her life to the fullest off my dime. Shame on all the people here who support that way of living when there are REAL PEOPLE SACRIFICING JUST SO THEY CAN PAY HER FANCY LIFESTYLE.

It's a serious problem in Canada.

You got it "Right On"---Now to slice about 1 billion from the CB leech Broadcasting network.

Sure Krista was a little harsh, but Maggie had to know that was coming. The number one unifying theme on Sun TV is government spending. If you can't see up front what their angle is going to be, it's probably going to be "why do tax dollars pay for this?"

Capricorn, I like how Black Dog equates objections to funding nice interests such as this interpretive dancing lady with opposing valid public endeavour such as transportation and defense. He basically implied that you were some sort of anarchist due to your questioning the public utility of funding such artistic pursuits from the public purse.

You might want to take some time to bone up on your reading comprehension skills, as I was certainly not equating arts funding with funding for other areas. Rather, I was illustrating the ludicrousness of capricorn's somewhat gussied up version of the old refrain "I don't want my tax dollars going to *insert objectionable cause here*."

You might want to take some time to bone up on your reading comprehension skills, as I was certainly not equating arts funding with funding for other areas. Rather, I was illustrating the ludicrousness of capricorn's somewhat gussied up version of the old refrain "I don't want my tax dollars going to *insert objectionable cause here*."

Well, it was clear enough. Don't let an extremist minority determine the tenor of discussion.

Sure Krista was a little harsh, but Maggie had to know that was coming. The number one unifying theme on Sun TV is government spending. If you can't see up front what their angle is going to be, it's probably going to be "why do tax dollars pay for this?"

It's possible to have that viewpoint, and even to ask your guest tough questions, without being completely disrespectful and also somewhat incoherent. Erickson didn't even pose an intellectual challenge for Gillis as much as she just acted completely obnoxious. Compare this to e.g. the way Michael Coren treats Sid Ryan on his show. Even Glenn Beck let Frank Llewellyn speak without interrupting him in the way Erickson did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSqy3BmMBGs

Edited by Evening Star