Layton found nude in massage parlour!

Since prostitution is legal in Canada, but bawdy houses are not, that part is not really off base....if the allegations are true, which they most likely aren't.

I know, but you're getting into technicalities here. Please don't tell me we need to get into this. You're going over silly stuff when the point I was making should be easy to understand - that the politically-loaded language used in the title is silly and stupid.

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, but you're getting into technicalities here.

Yes, I am, but you were clearly implying that prostitution is never legal. You're right though, it wasn't important.

Edited by Smallc

The thread title assumes that the allegations of true.

This thread assumes there are allegations to begin with. Layton was never charged with a crime. Moreover, the parlour was a licensed establishment. The fact that Layton was "naked" is absolutely ludicrous. People strip down to a towel for massages most of the time, so that has no bearing whatsoever on anything. I'm sorry, but anyone could have been caught in the same situation. Just the fact that he wasn't charged should be enough to tell you that there wasn't a damn bit of illegal activity going on. If Layton was having sex with a prostitute he would have been charged. The article makes certain not to state definitively that Layton was engaged in illegal behaviours. It does, however, make allusion to it, which is why people are jumping to that conclusion.

Here's what the article actually says: Layton was getting a mssage in a licensed clinic that the cops raided. There was no wrong-doing to be found on his part and he was released.

Anything beyond that is slanderous speculation and assumption.

Edited by cybercoma

Guest American Woman

Moreover, the parlour was a licensed establishment.

This is exactly what I was just going to point out. Since it was "a massage clinic that is registered with the City of Toronto," then the "city of Toronto" is just as guilty of breaking the law as Layton is being accused of.

Ditto. Haven't read anything anywhere about the woman being naked. Seems as if the story grows seedier and seedier regardless of fact ..... as is all too often the case in such situations, and does a lot to diminish politics, imo.

It was in one of the articles, but it was talked about on the news broadcast, they showed the copies of the cops notes, not all of it is being reported by the media, in fact I heard a news report on the radio this morning that simply said, he was caught in a seedy establishment (or something like that) no mention of the rest of the story. Also he was let go with being charged because of who he was.

The larger issue is the hypocrisy. He was a crusading city councillor at a time when bawdy houses run by Asian gangs were being raided and shut down he would have known what they were. He wanted lap dancing banned and crusaded for women's rights - that's the issue, does it show good character and judgment - no, but he's not the first politician to be caught with his pants down. It does speak to his seemingly double standards.

Really, listening to the news and reading some media they are deliberately leaving out the details about the naked woman and buck naked Jack, who was a councillor at the time they were raiding bawdy houses.

Bad bad Toronto Sun for not saying anything about the naked woman. Since they work hand in hand with SunTV (normal, they're the same media outlet), I am sure they would have mentioned the fact she was naked.

And bad bad SunTV for not mentioning on their Website the woman was naked.

IOW, if Sun doesn't say that the police report indicated that the woman was naked, could it be that the report did not indicate the woman was naked?

Edited by CANADIEN

I don't get the threats of libel here, the OP has linked to a an account of an incident in the public, mainstream media.

Happens every day here, many times. Beaking off with outrageous commentary on the article or melodramatic headers is hardly fodder for a lawsuit.

More likely is that the reputation of Saint Jack has been sullied. For shame.

The best part of the article is that he arrived at and departed from his therapeutic session on a bicycle.

If Jack becomes Prime Minister, this scandal will resonate all over the world. Berlusconi debauchery allegations (hving sex with a minor) will compare with this bawdy house that's been allegedly involved in sex trafficking of minor girls!

What a disgustingly inappropriate comparison. You ought to be ashamed of yourself. For someone with supposedly Christian values, this is a disgrace to your faith.

Betsy, why not talk about something relevant?

I find this very much relevant!

After all, weren't the Opposition - and that very much include Jack - talking about TRUST when they brought down the government and thrusted us into another election?

Isn't this election all about TRUST? Who can you trust?

If Layton was stupid enough - and yes we can say it was stupid - to have placed himself in that awkward situation, being a councillor at the time, of course that's a question of his ability to exercise sound judgement especially if you are the leader of a nation....in a time of economic recovery?

If Layton is - at the very least - naive about bawdy houses that pose as massage parlors...how can we trust he knows what he talks about when it comes to crime issues???

Who among the leaders was admonishing you gotta "walk the talk?" (I can't remember who....but that's a pie on Layton's face!)

Why not go after Layton's ridiculous promise to deliver nationwide daycare, which is a service that families should pay for on their own? Why not attack Layton's idiocy to implement some sort of cap-and-trade system and/or comply with the "international community" and damage Canada industry? What about his fantasy promise that he will magically find the doctors we need to address the shortage of their supply in Canada?

What, are you saying there aren't enough threads that address those issues??? :lol:

There's no much REAL stuff that needs to be discussed about idiotic and dangerous leftist ideas that will hurt Canada if implemented, yet there is this stupid focus on these allegations that nobody should give a damn about.

That's what makes it worrisome that nobody gives a damn about the deeper implications of Jack's past reckless decision.

If the cops decided then to go public to hurt Jack....I don't think there would've been a Layton at all on the NDP helm.

Edited by betsy

we all know, had this been Harper or another conservative politician it would be all over the front pages, for days - maybe months.

I highly doubt that. This story, if it isn't outright, skirts the line of libel. The media outlets are rightfully avoiding the story. However, playing it up as a smear campaign still puts the story out there for public consumption. "We're not reporting this story, but we're reporting ABOUT this story." It's a sneaky way of getting it out there anyway, even though it might not be true. They protect themselves from libel by saying, we're reporting that Sun has published a potentially libelous story.

Betsy, Layton's judgment can be easily decimated with his own words. We don't need to use allegations of sexual immorality to illustrate that. Want to criticize his naivety? Examine his absurd promises. Want to criticize his lack of understanding of basic economic? Continue examining his absurd promises. Want to criticize his approach to crime? I'm sure we can find examples of him harping on with rhetoric about "rehabilitation" and "compassion". The point is that Layton provides plenty of fodder against him with his own words.

There are certainly very few threads in here that really scrutinize the stupidity of Layton and his supporters. Rather, there are many more thread discussing superficial soundbytes and premature allegations - this thread being an example of that.

Edited by Bob

Guest American Woman

It was in one of the articles, but it was talked about on the news broadcast, they showed the copies of the cops notes, not all of it is being reported by the media, in fact I heard a news report on the radio this morning that simply said, he was caught in a seedy establishment (or something like that) no mention of the rest of the story. Also he was let go with being charged because of who he was.

He was let go without charges in spite of who he was, from what I've read. Furthermore, ONE article? It was reported in one article vs the countless articles circulating? What was the source of that one article? Can you provide even one link to support it? And what "news broadcast? How was it "talked about?" As for the news article that "simply said" what it did, that's not unusual, but to repeat claims that aren't being reported in the mainstream media is a completely different story. I have to say, but doing so, you have to give the same credence to similar sources regarding the candidates you support, and I doubt you're willing to do that.

The larger issue is the hypocrisy. He was a crusading city councillor at a time when bawdy houses run by Asian gangs were being raided and shut down he would have known what they were.

I'm sure he did know "what they were." That doesn't mean he knew where all of them were. If he did, I'm sure he'd be the most informed person in Toronto; more informed than the police investigating such establishments.

He wanted lap dancing banned and crusaded for women's rights - that's the issue, does it show good character and judgment - no, but he's not the first politician to be caught with his pants down. It does speak to his seemingly double standards.

Are you equating lap dancing with getting a massage? :blink: No, he did not 'get caught with his pants down;' he "got caught" getting a massage.

What a disgustingly inappropriate comparison. You ought to be ashamed of yourself. For someone with supposedly Christian values, this is a disgrace to your faith.

Indeed.

Layton was caught (not accused of any illegal act, not arrested) in a massage parlour which the police suspected of being a bawdy house. The facts at hand indicate that he was, at most, careless in is choice of a place where to get a massage. There are actually judicial inquiries into allegations that Berlusconi has retained the services a prostitutes.

That's about on par with the level of thought among all voting ages. Give it a rest about university students already. They're not a homogenous group for crying out loud.

University are very homogenous politically. Particularly with respect to their opposition to the CPC and what they view as conservatism.

How is it inappropriate? Instead of just giving emotional outburst, you ought to explain!

Never mind my Christian values or my faith....I don't think you're in a position to know much about that. Let me worry about that, after all it's me who'll answer to my God when the time comes, not you. Just stick to the discussion. We're on federal politics.

How is it inappropriate? Instead of just giving emotional outburst, you ought to explain!

Never mind my Christian values or my faith....I don't think you're in a position to know much about that. Let me worry about that, after all it's me who'll answer to my God when the time comes, not you. Just stick to the discussion. We're on federal politics.

You can't be judged on what you say because you answer to God?

Do you really think that if this were Stephen Harper there would not be a full blown smear campaign - really get a grip.

No because there hasn't been a smear campaign the likes of what the political right has pulled out in this election. First the attacks on Ignatieff's wife, now this. What a damn trainwreck.

He was let go without charges in spite of who he was, from what I've read. Furthermore, ONE article? It was reported in one article vs the countless articles circulating? What was the source of that one article? Can you provide even one link to support it? And what "news broadcast? How was it "talked about?" As for the news article that "simply said" what it did, that's not unusual, but to repeat claims that aren't being reported in the mainstream media is a completely different story. I have to say, but doing so, you have to give the same credence to similar sources regarding the candidates you support, and I doubt you're willing to do that.

Good question. I,ve checked the Websites of both SunTV and the Toronto Sun (that's where the story orginated from), and they do not say a thing about the police notes stating the woman was naked. If it was in there, I'd like to see a quote.

I'm sure he did know "what they were." That doesn't mean he knew where all of them were. If he did, I'm sure he'd be the most informed person in Toronto; more informed than the police investigating such establishments.

Knowing what they were, he should have chosen the place where he got that massage more carefully. But that's it. And unless the police met regarly with city council to inform them of where they've found bawdy house, I doubt very much that Layton knew as a fact which massage parlours were bawdy houses.

Edited by CANADIEN