Judge declares Obamacare unconstitutional

Great. By the time we see this again, it will be fully covered national healthcare as it should be.

It sounds to me like this is about the mandate, which was something Obama actually campaigned against, and it definately the worst part of the legislation, and it was thrown in there simply as a bone to the medical industry.

Its a terrible idea and it SHOULD be struck down. The question is what to replace it with.

I tend to see this ruling as inevitable. The federal government should not have the power to compel citizens to purchase a commercial product (medical insurance) simply as a consequence of being alive (unlike car insurance which it is frequently compared to).

I tend to see this ruling as inevitable. The federal government should not have the power to compel citizens to purchase a commercial product (medical insurance) simply as a consequence of being alive (unlike car insurance which it is frequently compared to).

Right, so this will force another proposal for Medicare expansion and showdown with the insurance companies all over again.

Right, so this will force another proposal for Medicare expansion and showdown with the insurance companies all over again.

Works for me. Knowing how long it takes things to get through the government I'll probably be old and needing expanded coverage by the time a new version passes :D

Oh, I seriously doubt that. That's why Obama bailed on the public option. The 2012 election cycle has already started.

And a big win by both houses will leave Obama free to create a real legacy for the future. The wealthiest nation in the world can afford to provide healthcare for all its citizens, and I would be happy for them if they did it.

And a big win by both houses will leave Obama free to create a real legacy for the future. The wealthiest nation in the world can afford to provide healthcare for all its citizens, and I would be happy for them if they did it.

The US is not the "wealthiest nation in the world" in any meaningful sense (that is, normalized by population). It's in 6th-8th place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28PPP%29_per_capita

Also, it's not a matter of being able to afford something. Maybe a country could afford to put everyone on welfare and thus free them of work. Does it mean it should do so? I'd say no.

Edited by Bonam

The US is not the "wealthiest nation in the world" in any meaningful sense (that is, normalized by population). It's in 6th-8th place.

Also, it's not a matter of being able to afford something. Maybe a country could afford to put everyone on welfare and thus free them of work. Does it mean it should do so? I'd say no.

Richer than Canada, at 11th - 17th place, that manages to do it all right, by some measures.

But that doesn't mean it wants to. Clearly it is a matter of much contention. Health care is not a right.

Fair point, but look at the countries ranked above it. Do countries like Qatar, Luxembourg, Brunei, Liechtenstein, & Bermuda really count? I can fit their total populations in my car. Because of their incredibly small population, their GDP per capita is more of a statistical anomaly. At least Singapore and Norway have a few million people.

How about this: among countries with more than 5 million people, the US is the richest.

BTW, i public healthcare is truly unconstitutional, that sucks for Americans. I guess they will continue to lag in OECD/UN health stats for a while more despite their great wealth.

The whole US healthcare debate is why i hate ideology. Some people would rather keep to a rigid ideal than live longer and lower the child mortality rate.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

BTW, i public healthcare is truly unconstitutional, that sucks for Americans. I guess they will continue to lag in OECD/UN health stats for a while more despite their great wealth.

The "Obamacare" law has nothing to do with "public healthcare", in case you didn't know.

BTW, i public healthcare is truly unconstitutional, that sucks for Americans.

America was founded long before any ideas about public healthcare.

I guess they will continue to lag in OECD/UN health stats for a while more despite their great wealth.

..and lead in others.

The whole US healthcare debate is why i hate ideology. Some people would rather keep to a rigid ideal than live longer and lower the child mortality rate.

There's more to life than just living longer.

One of the parties will have to seek leave to appeal. The USSC will take this up but the current makeup of the court does not insure the result you imply.

As much as I utterly despise this statute, I'm not sure that ruling it unconstitutional is the way to go. I haven't read the ruling yet but I strongly suspect it reflects the judge's political and policy beliefs rather than a reading of the Constitution.

I'd much rather simply see Congress refuse to fund it. A constitutional challenge, especially one where the justification is weak, is undemocratic.

The "Obamacare" law has nothing to do with "public healthcare", in case you didn't know.

... in the context of Medicaid eligibility expansion

... in the context of Medicare reforms

... in the context of bettering the "public" in terms of existing pre-condition coverage

but, of course, it's not the single-payer public option... and it's but one of 4 judges rulings, to-date. I'm also quite impressed with the countering Tea-Party mentality that (now) wants to push for a law to force Americans to own guns. If you're "forced" to buy health insurance... surely... you can be forced to purchase a gun! Only in America! :lol: