Trudeau family causes great offense!

kimmy

Guest TrueMetis

I care nothing at all for animal rights but the above statement is not true. Modern artificial materials are superior to fur and leather from the standpoint of protection from weather, breathability, lightness, and durability. I'll take Polartec, Goretex and Softshell over fur and leather any day, for any of my mountain adventures...

Not in my experience, modern techniques for working fur and leather are incredible. Though it does depend on which animal the fur and leather comes from. Though you seem to have more experience so you're probably right.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TrueMetis

Many animals kill to survive, particularly the ones valued for their fur so in that respect we don't do anything that other species don't. If we kill an animal to eat, it seems kind of disrespectful to just throw away the parts we don't, so I don't have a problem with wearing leather or fur under those conditions. On the other hand, other species don't kill for vanity or sport. I do have a problem with that.

See dolphins.

Not in my experience, modern techniques for working fur and leather are incredible. Though it does depend on which animal the fur and leather comes from. Though you seem to have more experience so you're probably right.

Most people don't really look for or buy outdoor gear made from advanced modern materials unless they are specifically interested in outdoor activities like hiking, mountaineering, skiing, etc. If you just go to "normal" clothes stores then yes the top of the line coats/jackets and stuff there will be made from natural materials like fur and leather. If you go to specialized stores, however, you can see outdoor gear designed for performance, low weight, and durability.

Really? You would eat an animal you find dead? Sorry but that is disgusting. Roadkill anyone?

Very often. Still have half a moose in the freezer.

How do you know the animal did not die from some disease?

By tire tracks :)

Also you can't drain the blood from an already dead animal.

What the hell are you talkng about? Are you drainig blood from live animal?

Will the moose let you?

Really? You would eat an animal you find dead? Sorry but that is disgusting.

I've explained this to people again, so sorry if I don't take the 10 minutes to really explain things.

Some dead animals are ok to eat, some dead animals are not. If you read on survivalism you can learn about this a bit. It is somewhat important to either test the meat, or with a high degree of certainty know its cause of death, and determine if it has any transmitable diseases.

Roadkill anyone?

Roadkill is actually one of the safest forms of meat you can find - because you can with a pretty high degree of certainty determine the cause of death (not always though because it couldhave been run over, after it died.

How do you know the animal did not die from some disease?

Animal pathology and inspection plays into this, and you must exercise caution. I have also replied to the fact, that meat that is available on commercial markets gets recalled periodically also, so the food source actually isn't that secure from nature or from the supermarket. People just have more trust in the supermarket because most of it is "artificial", just look at the recalls - that were "voluntary" up until the new consumer law was put in place.

Also you can't drain the blood from an already dead animal.

It depends how old it is.. blood is actually nutritious - you just can't consume a lot of it without getting sick. The disease factor

is there for sure, but blood in itself is nutritious, not something that by default is diseased. Do the research.

It is not something I recommend for people who havn't researched survivalism, veternarian pathology and safe preparation of meat. It takes some research because you have to know things like what parts you can eat, what parts to remove etc..

It is much the same as a slaughter house inspector needs to do also. The standards are much the same, even if they arn't as modern.

Wild meat actually tastes better than commercial meat, it has more flavour, and is often leaner.

It goes back well beyond this... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaughterhouse

So according to this about 20 animals are killed for each canadian every year.

------

The sad part is .. animals that die on the farm before being slaughtered have to be garbaged.. I think... by law...

yet, those are the animals I wouldn't see the same level of moral problem eating.

Dead Animal Disposal Act

The Dead Animal Disposal Act states that all dead animals must be disposed of within 48 hours. A "dead animal" means the carcass, or any part thereof, of a horse, goat, sheep, swine or head of cattle that has died from any cause other than slaughter. The Act pertains to the treatment, collection, handling, sale and disposal of animals that have died from any cause other than slaughter, including fallen animals that were disabled by disease, emaciation, or other condition likely to cause death; and animals not slaughtered for the purposes of obtaining or producing meat products.

now do this for cows.

bernies meets slaughter house

Edited by William Ashley

Most people don't really look for or buy outdoor gear made from advanced modern materials unless they are specifically interested in outdoor activities like hiking, mountaineering, skiing, etc. If you just go to "normal" clothes stores then yes the top of the line coats/jackets and stuff there will be made from natural materials like fur and leather. If you go to specialized stores, however, you can see outdoor gear designed for performance, low weight, and durability.

-k

Really? You would eat an animal you find dead? Sorry but that is disgusting.

Actually, we've done that twice. We took a deer home that we hit once, and another time, we took home a deer hit just in front of us. We only used the side that wasn't damaged.

Wild meat actually tastes better than commercial meat, it has more flavour, and is often leaner.

I actually like the taste of wild meat too, but I sure as hell wouldn't eat roadkill. And for Saipan, yes I would try to bleed the moose before it was completely dead, or at least as soon as possible after killing it. When slaughtering chickens or hogs, the best way is to behead them or cut their throat then hang them upside down while the heart is still beating so it can pump out as much of the blood as possible. When an animal is struck on the road isn't the meat pretty bruised? What about liquids from the stomach and damaged internal organs tainting the meat?

Yes, and I don't see how producing veal doesn't involve torture. But it's a very tasty product of torture.

Why? Because the cows are young?

So then, by your definition, I guess you're both crybabies.

I don't think they're crybabies because they're expressing their views. Or even because they oppose animal products.

I think they're crybabies because they're "shocked and upset" by a Christmas card.

-k

Why? Because the cows are young?

I don't think they're crybabies because they're expressing their views. Or even because they oppose animal products.

I think they're crybabies because they're "shocked and upset" by a Christmas card.

-k

Ot that these twits devoid of a scintilla of a firing synapse think that animals should have the same inalienable rights as a human being...

Again,I'm simply waiting for one of these PETA morons to make a Charter case allowing for humans to marry a Donkey....

Edited by Jack Weber

I actually like the taste of wild meat too, but I sure as hell wouldn't eat roadkill.

I don't care if it's killed by 30-06 or V-6. Moose is a moose.

And for Saipan, yes I would try to bleed the moose before it was completely dead

VERY seldom possible. Even if you don't have to track him down after shot, moose is dead when you get to it. Excellent shots of caribou hunt on "Sarah Palin's Alaska".

What about liquids from the stomach and damaged internal organs tainting the meat?

Never a problem. Most of the time internal organs are discarded from road kills, 'though not always. Depends how it was hit. Snared rabbit may be dead even couple of days. Just as good as fresh.

Edited by Saipan

I don't care if it's killed by 30-06 or V-6. Moose is a moose.

VERY seldom possible. Even if you don't have to track him down after shot, moose is dead when you get to it. Excellent shots of caribou hunt on "Sarah Palin's Alaska".

Never a problem. Most of the time internal organs are discarded from road kills, 'though not always. Depends how it was hit. Snared rabbit may be dead even couple of days. Just as good as fresh.

Shit man you'd never starve round here, lol There are so many deer killed on the highway everyday, just lying on the side of the road waiting for someone to come and chow down, heheh. There is a 20 mile stretch by my place that I see at least 3 dead deer on pretty much every day.

I can't stand Sarah "airhead" Palin, If I had to sit though a whole program about her, I'd have to shoot myself. If you cuffed me to a chair in front of a TV with Palin on it, I'd probably chew off my hand like an animal caught in a leg trap sometimes does, just to escape the torture.

Edited by DrGreenthumb

Excellent shots of caribou hunt on "Sarah Palin's Alaska".

Is that like a nature show narrated by Sarah Palin?

That actually sounds like it would be a lot of fun.

"It's spring, and as mating season approaches this mama lynx is feeling a little mavericky..."

-k

Shit man you'd never starve round here, lol There are so many deer killed on the highway everyday, just lying on the side of the road waiting for someone to come and chow down, heheh. There is a 20 mile stretch by my place that I see at least 3 dead deer on pretty much every day.

Wouldn't be possible here. Getting caught with dead deer or moose and no licence is VERY expensive. We have a list of people interested in roadkill who are then called by OPP or warden in sequence. Provided the one who hit the moose is not interested.

I can't stand Sarah "airhead" Palin

Common for people from cities.

I feel like that about watching golf :)

Wouldn't be possible here. Getting caught with dead deer or moose and no licence is VERY expensive. We have a list of people interested in roadkill who are then called by OPP or warden in sequence. Provided the one who hit the moose is not interested.

Common for people from cities.

I feel like that about watching golf :)

I'm not from a city. I just can't stand Palin and her stupidity. Its like she is proud of her ignorance. Want a really bad show, Golfing, with Sarah Palin. I might just have to blow up my TV if that show ever happens. Fined for "stealing" roadkill? Just another example of an overbearing state. People need to start pushing back whenever our government attacks our freedom. It makes me sick that people continue to vote for governments that are eroding our freedom. The stupidest people are the ones who vote for fear mongering Conservatives who promise to "protect" them from vegetation and "unreported crimes"

Fined for "stealing" roadkill? Just another example of an overbearing state.

We call it a province in Canada.

People need to start pushing back whenever our government attacks our freedom.

A reason for mass resistance to Liberal long firearm registration.

It makes me sick that people continue to vote for governments that are eroding our freedom. The stupidest people are the ones who vote for fear mongering Conservatives

Last time I checked McGuinty was Liberal.

I dunno about fur, I do know that my Arcteryx outer shell or mid layer soft shells don't ice up in any kind of weather, and are warm enough with several layers for me to be comfortable in -40, and are completely water proof.

I'm talking about the edge of the hood that seals around your face in an Arctic parka. They still use real fur for that even though the rest of the coat may be synthetic.