Trudeau family causes great offense!

kimmy

Justin Trudeau has gotten himself into hot water this holiday season.

Did he commit some religious faux-pas against Christians? Did he commit some religious faux-pas against non-Christians? Did he eschew Christmas turkey in favor of a "festive halal chicken"? Did he send out cards that say "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Winter Break"? Did he send out cards that say "Happy Winter Break" instead of "Merry Christmas"?

No, none of these things. He sent out Christmas cards that show him and his family wearing fur.

WEARING FUR! :ph34r::o

Lucas Soloway, a member of PETA and co-president of the Concordia University Animal Rights Association, said Trudeau's card was inappropriate.

"I was shocked and upset to see it. I think it was disturbing, especially at this time of year in a greeting card. Where is the cheer in wearing the skins of animals?" he told CBC.

Wearing the skins of animals? I would wager that the large majority of Canadians have clothing and accessories made out of the skins of animals. Leather remains the favorite material for winter footwear and gloves, as well as belts, purses, and other accessories. And, fur is of vast importance in the history of our country, and continues to employ many Canadians.

I would like to wish Mr Trudeau and his family a Merry Christmas. Don't let PETA ruin your holidays.

-k

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Justin Trudeau has gotten himself into hot water this holiday season.

Did he commit some religious faux-pas against Christians? Did he commit some religious faux-pas against non-Christians? Did he eschew Christmas turkey in favor of a "festive halal chicken"? Did he send out cards that say "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Winter Break"? Did he send out cards that say "Happy Winter Break" instead of "Merry Christmas"?

No, none of these things. He sent out Christmas cards that show him and his family wearing fur.

WEARING FUR! :ph34r::o

Wearing the skins of animals? I would wager that the large majority of Canadians have clothing and accessories made out of the skins of animals. Leather remains the favorite material for winter footwear and gloves, as well as belts, purses, and other accessories. And, fur is of vast importance in the history of our country, and continues to employ many Canadians.

I would like to wish Mr Trudeau and his family a Merry Christmas. Don't let PETA ruin your holidays.

-k

Too funny when lefties attack lefties.

That's why they protest it here. I like a real fur lining on my hood because nothing keeps my face warm better, but I'm not so delicate to complain just because people disagree with me. Why are conservatives (and those who overuse the term PC) so sensitive to criticism?

Guest TrueMetis

These idiot can have fun freezing in their crappy oil based faux fur or whatever artificial fibre they are using. Nothing will keep you warm of the water out like a good fur or leather garment.

PETA idiots are PETA idiots...

I saw some PETA buffoon on Power and Politics yesterday make the incredible leap equating the teatment of animals to the African Slave Trade...

These people are simply deluded and insulting ideologues that equate animals with humans....

Morons!!!

A while back they compared the treatment of chickens to the holocaust, they juxtaposed pictures of chickens in their cages with this. PETA is anti-human.

Edited by TrueMetis

That's why they protest it here. I like a real fur lining on my hood because nothing keeps my face warm better, but I'm not so delicate to complain just because people disagree with me. Why are conservatives (and those who overuse the term PC) so sensitive to criticism?

PETA can use their freedom of speech to criticize people who wear fur.

I'm using my freedom of speech to criticize them, and to express my support for a politician who (like the majority of Canadians) is happily wearing dead animal skin.

-k

These people are simply deluded and insulting ideologues that equate animals with humans....

Why is that deluded? I eat meat have shot my share of deer, but I can understand their position. I don't agree with it, but given that animals usually have two eyes, a nose, and mouth, it's not much of a jump to extend your human compassion to them as well.

Why is that deluded? I eat meat have shot my share of deer, but I can understand their position. I don't agree with it, but given that animals usually have two eyes, a nose, and mouth, it's not much of a jump to extend your human compassion to them as well.

Sure...

I have owned dogs and cats...Rabbits...

I have'nt mistreated any of them...Shed a tear,or two,when they went "bye-bye"....

That's as far as my compassion goes,as it relates to me eating pressed piggy parts and ground up cow...

I will say this...PETA makes me want to hug a dog and punch a PETA member...

How's that for compassion? :lol:

Edited by Jack Weber

Guest TrueMetis

You don't understand, PETA by equating them with humans isn't talking about compassion they are talking extending them human rights, actual human rights. It's the difference between animal welfare (the position that we have the responsibility to steward animals and limit there suffering as much as possible) and animal rights (PETA's position that animals have rights like humans do).

You don't understand, PETA by equating them with humans isn't talking about compassion they are talking extending them human rights, actual human rights. It's the difference between animal welfare (the position that we have the responsibility to steward animals and limit there suffering as much as possible) and animal rights (PETA's position that animals have rights like humans do).

I can't wait for a PETA member to bring a Charter case,claiming PETA members should have the "right" to marry a Carp!!!

PETA can use their freedom of speech to criticize people who wear fur.

I'm using my freedom of speech to criticize them, and to express my support for a politician who (like the majority of Canadians) is happily wearing dead animal skin.

The whole issue of fur/hide depends on how the fur/hide was obtained. You equate cowhide with coyote fur? Cowhide is, i'd imagine, mostly obtained after a cow is killed for its meat. I don't see a problem with that.

With Trudeau's coyote hide, the question is still: how was it obtained? If the animal was killed exclusively for its hide, in my opinion that's barbaric & sick. If it was obtained somehow naturally, then fine.

I wouldn't kill an animal just to wear it as an ornament. My non-fur coat is plenty warm.

You don't understand, PETA by equating them with humans isn't talking about compassion they are talking extending them human rights, actual human rights.

I don't see why humans are, by their nature, any more deserving of rights than animals. And I had ground beef for supper.

Guest TrueMetis

I don't see why humans are, by their nature, any more deserving of rights than animals. And I had ground beef for supper.

If animals had rights it would be illegal to kill them at all, no ground beef, no bacon, no anything made of meat. And Humans are more deserving of rights because we have the mental capacity to live up to the responsibilities that come with those rights.

The whole issue of fur/hide depends on how the fur/hide was obtained. You equate cowhide with coyote fur? Cowhide is, i'd imagine, mostly obtained after a cow is killed for its meat. I don't see a problem with that.

With Trudeau's coyote hide, the question is still: how was it obtained? If the animal was killed exclusively for its hide, in my opinion that's barbaric & sick. If it was obtained somehow naturally, then fine.

I wouldn't kill an animal just to wear it as an ornament. My non-fur coat is plenty warm.

Coyotes aren't killed *just* for their fur. Coyotes are usually killed for no reason other than that they're pests.

FUR POLICY: What is your Fur Policy?

Canada Goose Policy on the Humane Treatment of Animals

Canada Goose is deeply committed to the preservation of our global environment and the humane treatment of animals. As an authentically Canadian company, the environment and ethical treatment of animals are central to our values. We consistently make commitments based on these values that guide the ways in which we do business. We recognize that because we use animal products in our garments, questions may arise regarding these commitments and our practices. It is important to us that our position on these matters, as well as the reasons for and nature of our company’s use of animal

products are made widely available.

Since we have been producing Canada Goose products, we have used both Coyote fur in the manufacture of our parkas and jackets. From the beginning we have closely examined and considered the use of these products from both an ethical and conservationist perspective. We are firm in our belief that these ethics are sound.

We use Coyote fur only as absolutely necessary, and exclusively for functional purposes. Our jackets are–and always have been–used in the coldest places on earth. In such climates, where skin can freeze in an instant, the coyote fur creates a warm environment in the most critical area–around the face. The warm pocket of air keeps exposed skin warm and ensures that exhaled air does not freeze. It is for precisely this reason that the technologies of centuries past used fur for protection against the extreme cold. Today we are able to use as little fur as possible, while maintaining the critical functionality of this sort of product.

The fur that we do use is acquired in the most humane ways and we adhere to the guidelines of the Fur Council of Canada that governs fur use in our country.

The fur industry is an excellent example of an industry based on sustainable use. All the furs used by the trade are abundant. Absolutely no endangered species are used. In the Canadian fur trade, government wildlife officials and biologists ensure responsible use by establishing controlled hunting and trapping, harvest quotas, licensing, and training courses. Strict government regulations ensure that

these quotas and seasons are respected.

Canada Goose strictly adheres to all such industry and government guidelines. More importantly, we take pride in the fact that by supporting this sustainable industry we are also supporting the native Canadian communities of the North and their centuries-old ways of life that are now being threatened. These communities are ethical in their fundamental approach to hunting: We strongly identify with the value systems of these communities, and make a commitment that carries over to the way we do business: Canada Goose does not buy fur from farms of any sort – ever.

The environmental benefits to using a natural product are clear when compared with the use of synthetics that are sometimes described as an “ethical” alternative to real fur. Many anti-fur advocacy groups fail to take into account the environmental impact of the production of synthetic fur. The chemical by-products of this production process have the potential to do more harm to the environment than the use of the fur from animals that are hunted as part of an ancient way of life that balances the needs of people and wildlife.

There are never simplistic solutions for complex problems. We are proud of the principled, responsible and humane approach that we consistently take in making our products. Nonetheless we recognize that there are some who oppose the use of animal fur under any circumstances. In stating our views and practices, we hope to promote the kind of transparency and context that will inform a reasoned discussion, one that moves beyond the shrill finger-pointing that often characterizes both sides of the debate. Good corporate citizenship requires openness and a willingness to listen to all sides on the

issues that affect us all.

It's especially gratifying to hear that these coyote hides are obtained from aboriginal hunters and trappers, since (as Charter.Rights will tell you) not a scrap of these departed animals will be wasted. Even their tendons will be used in the fabrication of traditional native tennis rackets. And you can rest assured that these slain coyotes will live on as Spirit Guides for troubled aboriginal youth. So clearly, concerns about the coyotes are completely unwarranted.

-k

I'm actually pretty big on animal rights - getting the best conditions for animal and supporting :natural death use: over a murdering animal industry (I may be a member of PETA actually - not that active)

The only problem is that I think everyone deserves to make their own choices - I will eat an animal I find dead, or an animal someone offers to me (because it is better me who eats it than someone supporting its murder) --- I don't buy meat -- except for fish - and that is a long story. - and I went from strict vegan to someone who buys non fertalized eggs, and actually ain't against dairy use - but once again bad conditions or chemically altered states and unnatural states arn't "ideal" especially if they create health risks and states of pain for the animal.

It is all about doing respect to the animal. I would probably also kill an animal in self defence.

As far as this issue is concerned it is pretty much a non issue. It appears maybe as a little bit of a whiping - or has overtones to the "seal hunt" natives etc.. but it is a weird flip because I thought natives wern't happy about commercial fur trapping as atleast in the area I'm in they were blamed in part for depleting the native stocks (that and the trains)

I could be wrong.

I would wear animal product without a second thought - but I wouldn't kill the animal myself, nor would I support someone else killing it.. but I would put the animal to use once it was dead already, much like I'd eat a cow that died of a heart attack without malicious grounds. I'm not trying to escape samsara - I'm not trying to liberate my karma, I'm living my life and I'm not against accumulating good karma at the cost of moksha.

I do support animal rights though. I know people who trap also though - all in all - I don't doubt their right to and based upon traditions of me living in a place that is a north west company trapping post and hudsons bay trapping post, it is hard to offend the occupations of the people that built the community I live in, or the traditions of the two native communities that surround me - none the less I don't myself see a need for it, and opt to live in harmony with nature - although I almost fought a bear/moose once.. and was willing to do so - even to the death. But it didn't attack me, so no need to defend. They have a lot of character and you can bring out a lot of your own emotions that you associate with them and you can gain a greater respect for them.

To many it is a way of life.. and actually may be means of survival -- and potentially more environmentally friendly than a synthetic factory. Of course there are materials like wool and cotton, hemp and others...

do honour to the animal is where I am at... much like make use of the plant but don't abuse it or overuse it.

Edited by William Ashley

And Humans are more deserving of rights because we have the mental capacity to live up to the responsibilities that come with those rights.

If that were true, brain-damaged people wouldn't be deserving of equal rights. Human beings get "rights" only because human beings are the ones doling them out.

Guest TrueMetis

If that were true, brain-damaged people wouldn't be deserving of equal rights. Human beings get "rights" only because human beings are the ones doling them out.

Many mentally handicapped people don't have equal rights. In much the same way children don't get equal rights.

"Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?"

And the angel said unto me,

"These are the cries of the carrots,

the cries of the carrots.

You see, reverend Maynard, tomorrow is harvest day

and to them it is the holocaust."

And I sprang from my slumber drenched in sweat

like the tears of one millions terrified brothers

and roared,

"Hear me now,

I have seen the light,

they have a consciousness,

they have a life,

they have a soul.

damn you!

let the rabbits wear glasses,

save our brothers...can I get an amen?

http://videosift.com/video/TOOL-undertow-secret-track-69-DISGUSTIPATED

Tool Secret track Undertow album

Edited by Alta4ever

Ultimately, it seems that those "deserving" of rights are those who can get an adequate consensus of people to fight for them. I don't care if animals are tortured, and most people seem to agree with me. But I don't quite get the contempt for the idea that they shouldn't be tortured. That seems pretty rational, but just too restrictive to my entertainment and eating pleasure.