Cutting The Cord -- How to leave cable companies?

August1991

I don't have cable, but I did try out this service (through my PS3). Unbelievable! I can watch unlimited movies on demand at 9$/month.

The downside is that: 1) the movies are old/weird, 2) there are potential bandwidth costs, 3) the Netflix network crashed once, 4) no 5.1 sound, or subtitles, 5) the movies seem older 4:3 versions, 6) few French or foreign films.

In my household, we like subtitles so that everyone can follow along. I like 5.1 sound. (I'm surprised that Netflix doesn't offer this since sound and subtitles take up so little data/bandwidth.)

Old and weird? In some ways, I consider that a plus. I watched the documentary Girl 27 the other night. It was simply a good documentary.

As to bandwidth costs, I reckon that we would have to watch one movie every day to incur data download costs with my ISP. I watch at most a movie or two each week.

The plus side? You get some very good TV programmes. For example, it has all the episodes of Yes, Minister, Yes, Prime Minister and Fawlty Towers. There are BBC's Redgrave's Elizabeth, and The Six Wives of Henry VIII.

But no Filles de Caleb, or Les Rois maudits. IOW, few French movies (although they have one very good Russian movie - in original with English subtitles.)

-----

Because of Netflix, I no longer rent DVDs (except for French movies), and I have now zero interest in paying for cable.

In a matter of months, the movie delivery company Netflix has gone from being the fastest-growing first-class mail customer of the United States Postal Service to the biggest source of streaming Web traffic in North America during peak evening hours.

NYT

If I understand properly, Netflix tried out its Internet streaming software in Canada before rolling it out in the US.

-----

God knows how the federal CRTC will deal with this. How will Quebec's Ministère de la Culture, des Communications et de la Condition féminine respond? (Seriously, that's the name appearing on the minister's title.)

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Netflix is splendid....the closest thing to direct access at anytime for films and television. Sony's netwok content compliments the service well. The only drawback (especially if one appreciates 5.1 audio), is the loud cooling fan noise from the PS3.

Another reason to love America! ;)

Netflix is splendid....the closest thing to direct access at anytime for films and television. Sony's netwok content compliments the service well. The only drawback (especially if one appreciates 5.1 audio), is the loud cooling fan noise from the PS3.

Another reason to love America! ;)

Can't love a person who's ass it three feet wide...sorry.

I am hearing generally good things from movie lovers about this service. For me, though, I don't want to buy a PS3, XBOX, or connect to my computer.
Why is it any different that buying a cable box?

That said, I looked at the selection for new releases. They have next to nothing. The TV shows I want to watch I can see for free on the broadcaster's website or with my PVR and I never watch old movies. So it looks like Netflix won't do me any good.

Edited by TimG

Cost for one....and more titles for old farts like me who do watch old content. Also, access from anywhere in the house with wifi on a big flat panel display, just like DirectTV.
I was responding to Michael who I assume has bought a cable box to watch TV but has a problem buying a different box to watch Netflix. Buying a box is a requirement for access to TV today. If one could eliminate your cable by using Netflix you would be further ahead financially. Edited by TimG

I was responding to Michael who I assume has bought a cable box to watch TV but has a problem buying a different box to watch Netflix. Buying a box is a requirement for access to TV today. If one could eliminate your cable by using Netflix you would be further ahead financially.

Until your ISP, who also likely has its own TV service, decides to start nailing you for bandwidth overages.

Why is it any different that buying a cable box?

That said, I looked at the selection for new releases. They have next to nothing. The TV shows I want to watch I can see for free on the broadcaster's website or with my PVR and I never watch old movies. So it looks like Netflix won't do me any good.

Old movies are great, as are documentaries - as Auguste pointed out.

I have Bell TV, and everything comes with the monthly bundle so no purchases are required. I am not going to pay $100-$200 more for hardware to watch movies I have to pay for. My DVD player cost $50 and I can watch any movie on there that I can find on DVD.

Until your ISP, who also likely has its own TV service, decides to start nailing you for bandwidth overages.
I am sure it would be cheaper than paying for channels I don't watch because they are bundled with channels I do watch. Frankly, I hate the "channel" model for TV. I care about content. I don't care who is broadcasting it. I want to pick the few shows I like and pay for them directly.

The main problem for me is that my internet is too slow to watch streaming video properly and my provider charges a fortune for any bandwidth usage over 5 gigs data transfer per month. My XBOX prefers gaming anyway. Just finishing ghostbusters, just finished Bioshock, and just ordered Fable 3 and COD Black Ops. Tv is boring and if I am going to watch anything other than cpac, or CBC's Power and Politics, it damn well better have 5.1 surround.

I was responding to Michael who I assume has bought a cable box to watch TV but has a problem buying a different box to watch Netflix. Buying a box is a requirement for access to TV today. If one could eliminate your cable by using Netflix you would be further ahead financially.

Maybe....but my high speed broadband is bundled with phone and CATV from the same provider at significant savings already. I never suffered through DSL.

Sony's netwok content compliments the service well.
I don't know what you mean exactly. IMHO, Netflix will not only eliminate DVD rental stores but also iTunes and Sony's (really crappy) movie download service.
I am hearing generally good things from movie lovers about this service. For me, though, I don't want to buy a PS3, XBOX, or connect to my computer.

I at first refused to buy a PS3 too but eventually relented because it will play almost any file. Bluray discs are problematic but the PS3 handles them all - as well as linking to my PC. For $300, it was a good purchase and I'm not even a gamer.
You understand it well. If you want the latest TV show or movie, Netflix is not for you. But my nephew just loved the old re-runs of "Hoarders Season 3".

I suspect that Netflix will soon offer a premium service based on pay-for-play. If so, they are using a smart marketing strategy. In some cases, particularly with new technology or a start up, it's better to go from low-end to high-end. BMW can't now sell a cheap car. But Hyundai could possibly go into the luxury range.

Edited by August1991

I don't know what you mean exactly. IMHO, Netflix will not only eliminate DVD rental stores but also iTunes and Sony's (really crappy) movie download service....

The Sony Playstation Network is a gaming community area, and the PS Store has numerous free and pay media/gaming content not available from Netflix...there may be restrictions in Canada, like access to Hulu. The totality of my PS3 user experience is to have a one device portal to a very diverse media menu, Web, and games all connected to a large display via HDMI.

Why doesn't Netflix have new movies/series?

Cripes even if they doubled the price to get new movies/series it would be worth it.

What's funny is that Apple with its ginormous market cap isn't moving in and squashing Netflix like a cockroach. The Itunes and AppStore are gold. The only reason I carry a blackberry is because of MTS can't carry the Iphone yet.

I think on the Itunes you can rent reasonably new releases comparable to DVD, except that you have to wait for it to download. I don't know if it's changed because I don't have highspeed and 3G hasn't made its way this far out of town.

Why doesn't Netflix have new movies/series?
Because it costs money. Netflix has to buy rights to the shows/movies just like any other TV station. When it comes to new TV shows those rights are locked up the big networks.

Cinplex has a pay per view model that gives access to more recent movies but the selection is still limited:

http://store.cineplex.com/store/department.jsp;jsessionid=3116EF72831D61FF071782327A107089.worker1?deptId=rentDigital&addFacet=1006%3ADigital-Rent

For people looking for new releases the $2/DVD vending machines in places like Safeway are the best way to go.

.. the PS Store has numerous free and pay media/gaming content not available from Netflix...
Have you ever downloaded a movie from Sony? It takes forever - eg. 18 hours before you can watch the movie.

With Netflix, you can watch the movie within minutes.

IMHO, Sony has dropped the ball - unless Sony has decided that, for its shareholders, content matters more than delivery.

Edited by August1991

Have you ever downloaded a movie from Sony? It takes forever - eg. 18 hours.

Yes......6 hrs for Avatar in HD...much faster for SD. PS3 downloads while I sleep and turns itself off. Content is available for two weeks from the hard drive before expiring, but you already knew that.

Because it costs money. Netflix has to buy rights to the shows/movies just like any other TV station. When it comes to new TV shows those rights are locked up the big networks.

Cinplex has a pay per view model that gives access to more recent movies but the selection is still limited:

http://store.cineplex.com/store/department.jsp;jsessionid=3116EF72831D61FF071782327A107089.worker1?deptId=rentDigital&addFacet=1006%3ADigital-Rent

For people looking for new releases the $2/DVD vending machines in places like Safeway are the best way to go.

Looks like Netflix doesn't have enough cash flow to pull off the new movies I guess, I thought netflix did. I thought they would have went for the new movies first, killed Blockbuster, and then went for the TV shows.

I'm still surprised Apple isn't making a play for this. The Itunes Store is a gem, payment is simple and dependable, and they have a huge customer base. After all, Apple did manage to land the Beatles on Itunes after all that legal kerfuffle.

I had a look at this earlier. I was somewhat nonplussed.

First I thought I'd have a look and see if I could find the delightful adventure-comedy "Warehouse 13", from the US "SyFy Network".

"Warehouse 13 is not available", I was informed. But I might like these related titles:

-Golgo 13

-District B13

-Arthur The Aardvark season 13

-The Warriors

-Bride Wars

-Lord Of War

wtf?! None of that crap is remotely similar to Warehouse 13! They gave me results with "13" in them, and results that start with the same letters as "Warehouse". Was their "recommendations" system designed by government bureaucrats???

Let's try Iron Man 2. One of the big blockbusters of the year, available on DVD and BluRay for months. Should be a piece of cake, right?

"Iron Man 2 is not available, but you might enjoy these titles:'

-Spawn (well, at least it's a comic book character.)

-Blade (well, at least it's a comic book character.)

-Iron Man Armored Adventures (it's even the right comic book character, but it's a saturday morning cartoon.)

-Iron Eagle (contains "Iron")

-Gridiron Gang (contains "Iron")

-Family Man (contains "Man")

-Meerkat Manor (contains "Man")

-Man Vs Wild

-Torn Curtain (an Alfred Hitchcock mystery!? I'm still trying to figure how this came up.)

-What Happens in Vegas ( what the ... I give up.)

I entered Twilight just for laughs. They came up with...

-"The Last Picture Show"

-"Thumbsucker"

"The Girl Who Played With Fire" is not available, but I might enjoy

-Hot Fuzz

-Horton Hears a Who!

I mean, I've now entered about 10 different things, and first off none of them has actually been available from Netflix, and secondly all of their "suggestions" are not just off the mark but also comically stupid.

I would not subscribe to this product until their selection improves dramatically.

I would also not subscribe to this product until they hire better programmers. Their suggested viewing alternatives demonstrate that they're grossly incompetent and possibly mentally deficient in some way.

-k

I'm still surprised Apple isn't making a play for this. The Itunes Store is a gem, payment is simple and dependable, and they have a huge customer base. After all, Apple did manage to land the Beatles on Itunes after all that legal kerfuffle.

They are. They haven't yet been that successful. Apple TV is catching on though, and it actually can stream Netflix.