Keith Olbermann Suspended

Just when it couldn't get any better.....

(CNN) - Keith Olbermann, MSNBC's primetime firebrand host, has been suspended indefinitely for violating the ethics policies of his employer earlier this year when he donated to three Democrats seeking federal office, MSNBC announced Friday.

"I became aware of Keith's political contributions late last night. Mindful of NBC News policy and standards, I have suspended him indefinitely without pay," MSNBC President Phil Griffin said in a statement.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/11/05/olbermann-donated-to-three-dems-in-apparent-violation-of-nbc-policy/

I was reading something at TV Newser that there's a possibility he might not come back. They might either fire him, or he might decide to go elsewhere. It's rather ironic that just last week he was carrying on about Fox donating to Republican's. Oh Keith, you glittering jewel of hypocrisy.

Guest TrueMetis

I was reading something at TV Newser that there's a possibility he might not come back. They might either fire him, or he might decide to go elsewhere. It's rather ironic that just last week he was carrying on about Fox donating to Republican's. Oh Keith, you glittering jewel of hypocrisy.

Not really there is a difference between Fox news, a corporation, donating to the Republicans (and putting an inherit bias in all their "news") and Keith Olbermann, a private individual, donating to Democrats.

Not really there is a difference between Fox news, a corporation, donating to the Republicans (and putting an inherit bias in all their "news") and Keith Olbermann, a private individual, donating to Democrats.

There isn't that much difference really. The biggest difference is that of scale. Olbermann's is only one show (albeit the most popular i'd imagine), not an entire network of stations. But the conflict of interest is similar.

I liked some of Keith's rants, especially during the Bush era of hell. But i dont really give a woop, wasnt much an MSNBC fan, far too biased like FOX News (though not as bad), so i dont even subscribe to either of those channels anymore. I hated that rachel maddow show, uhhgg.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

Guest TrueMetis

There isn't that much difference really. The biggest difference is that of scale. Olbermann's is only one show (albeit the most popular i'd imagine), not an entire network of stations. But the conflict of interest is similar.

I disagree, Keith Olbermann was donating as a person, not on behalf of his show.

Guest TrueMetis

Well, obviously we have a KO fan here at Maple leaf, but what Olbermann did was pretty unethical and stupid, really.

If You're talking about me my experience with Olbermann is limited to a couple of Youtube clips and what I've seen on the daily show. I just don't see how someone making private donations is a big deal.

Well, obviously we have a KO fan here at Maple leaf, but what Olbermann did was pretty unethical and stupid, really.

unethical? $2400 to each of 3 candidates... "NBC News policy does not prohibit employees from donating to political candidates, it requires them to obtain prior approval from NBC News executives before doing so"... so KO didn't seek the internal approval. Wow! Meanwhile, Faux News Hannity is a known contributor to the GOP, other Faux News hucksters are openly raising money for Republican candidates, offering them explicit endorsements on air, acting as headline event fundraisers for Republican candidates... notwithstanding it's paid commentators like Republicans Palin and Huckabee effectively use Faux News to help with their runs for political office. Compared to all that, if you suggest KO's 'without approval $2400x3' is unethical, what does your assessment say for Faux News and it's host/contributors?

Fox News isn't a corporation, and Fox News isn't donating to Republicans. Fox News' parent company donates. Much in the same way MSNBC's parent company General Electric donates to Democrats.

I don't think Olbermann ever claimed to be anything but a Democrat partisan.

Wrong again my always wrong friend. He's made the claim that he doesn't vote, in order to maintain an appearance of objectivity. :rolleyes:

You need to stop talking about things in which you know nothing about.

Fox News isn't a corporation, and Fox News isn't donating to Republicans. Fox News' parent company donates. Much in the same way He's made the claim that he doesn't vote, in order to maintain an appearance of objectivity. :rolleyes:

I'm clearly not as easily fooled as you. I was on to the fact he was a democrat from the start.

But I like your strategy of careful avoidance of the Hannity question. It buffs your hypocritical glow. :lol:

Edited by BubberMiley

Why wouldn't you say the same thing about Hannity?

Personal contributions I simply don't have a problem with. If they are not doing it on behalf of the news network, then really no problem. More concern should be ho much money those lobby groups give candidates and such.

I'm clearly not as easily fooled as you. I was on to the fact he was a democrat from the start.

It's not about being fooled. Anyone could tell he is a partisan Democrat. But that wasn't your assertion. And I quote.

See. You claimed that Olbermann had never claimed to be anything but a Democrat partisan. I clearly showed you that he hadn't. That he presented himself as an objective journalist. Hence, not even voting to enforce that image. Please admit you were wrong.

Edited by Shady

You, sir...

You... ...sir!

YOU!!! ....SIR!!!

Meh. At the end of the day, all he's guilty of (aside from rank hyperbole and cornball theatrics) is breaking his employer's policy.

Why would a news organization have such a policy in the first place? To maintain an appearance of impartiality. Laudable... but for MSNBC, I think the cat's kind of out of the bag anyway.

Does this show Olbermann's political biases? Yes. I think all of us already knew Olbermann's political biases.

-k

Guest TrueMetis

Fox News isn't a corporation, and Fox News isn't donating to Republicans. Fox News' parent company donates. Much in the same way MSNBC's parent company General Electric donates to Democrats.

That's essentially the same thing. So they're in the same boat but Olbermann's donation isn't because he made it as a private individual.

Edited by TrueMetis

I heard that he donated to the campaign of a candidate he was interviewing. That would be crossing the line if true.

According to the Wrap, Hannity gave 5 grand to Michelle Bachmann.

he is interviewing her.

Would that be "crossing the line" if true, or are you going to courageously refrain from commenting on Hannity? :lol:

Edited by BubberMiley

...Does this show Olbermann's political biases? Yes. I think all of us already knew Olbermann's political biases.

Olbermann's ratings have been tanking for a spell....I wouldn't be surprised if he just got "Juan Williamsed". Violation of the "ethics policy" was just an excuse to move him along.

Wrong again my always wrong friend. He's made the claim that he doesn't vote, in order to maintain an appearance of objectivity. :rolleyes:

LOL wtf??? Why not just vote, then not tell people who you voted for...like many others in the media do.

Man what a moron.

Edited by Moonlight Graham