Mosque going up in NYC building

Guest American Woman

GH...I'd argue the the WTC site is now a 'religious site' to those involved.

In this light, I'd like to erect a huge billboard promoting 50 Cent's latest ode to the gun over Jane Creba's grave. Are you with me?

Not really, because I am not a big fan of his music. Will his new cd be released on Boxing Day as well?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman
AW

I will say it is disrespectful to even consider building on the WTC site, but this it seems to be the old Burlington Coat Factory building two blocks away. Was not the target of 9/11, and in the end I really don't see a problem with it. I can see a petition put in place or some kind of protest to prevent this from being built, I guess if people put up enough of a stink about it, the approved plan can be axed.

To me it is a bad idea simply because of the backlash people attending this mosque would endure from surviving family members who lost a loved one on 9/11. Even if it is attacked after it is built, it won't be by american moderates.

I've been to Ground Zero. Believe me, a Mosque two blocks away will be prominently visible. Not to mention the building was damaged by the actions of 9-11; that's why the property is available. If it was close enough to be part of the damage, it's 'on the site,' as far as many people are concerned. It's most definitely part of the 'site that was damaged.' But for the actions of 9-11, the site would not be available.

Furthermore, as I said earlier, while all Muslims are not terrorists, all Muslims are not moderates; therefore, Muslims other than moderates could very well be attending that Mosque; a Mosque made possible on that site due to the destruction and death caused by extremist Muslims.

The fact that it means Muslim people were responsible is enough; it's why other Muslim people should be sensitive to the feelings of those who lost loved ones on 9-11.

I think you're being sensitive enough for all of them actually. Looking at this objectively, it may not be the best ting to do from the point of view of optics, but there's nothing wrong with it, whether someone feels something or not is rather irrelevant.

Here's another article:

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/05/06/2010-05-06_plan_for_mosque_near_world_trade_center_site_moves_ahead.html

It looks like a beautiful, modern building, fit to the footprint of the existing structure and without the characteristics of mosque architecture. It will be built by built by two non-denominational organizations at a cost of $100 million. It will serve as a place for Jumah for 1000 - 2000 muslims but it is predominantly a cultural centre that includes a swimming pool and a 500 seat performing arts venue. This is clearly meant to be a gift to the people of new york. I think it would do good for the collective healing process if they would accept.

What would be good for the healing process is no more bomb attempts. That ain't gonna happen, and neither is this.

Out of context, I would have no way of knowing what side of the conflict you stand on based on your statement.

Some people on here clearly don't know the difference between the Islam that most Muslims believe in, and the strains of radical Islamic fundamentalism (such as Qutbism) that call for offensive jihad that the extremist terrorists who plotted and/or executed 9/11 follow. Heck, the vast majority of Islamic fundamentalists and Islamists do not involve themselves in violent jihad.

To blame Islam itself is completely ignorant. The blame must be on the actual jihadi extremists who were involved in the crime and follow a twisted version of radical Islamism, and a completely perverted version of Islam that uses "loopholes" in the Qur'an/Hadith to justify killing innocent people. It is the same with equating Christianity and most Christians with the infamous polygamtist Christian freaks that lived in the "Yearning for Zion" ranch ( which was owned/operated by the "Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints") that the Texas authorities raided in 2008. Remember those freaks?

Before casting blame on a religion or passing judgement on it or anyone else for that matter at least pick up a freakin' book people. Or at least do some extensive wiki reading. here's a start: Qutbism. Pick up ANY book about al-Qaeda and/or bin Laden and you will find a significant portion of it referring to Qutbism and its influence on their ideology/actions. It is impossible to understand al-Qaeda and 9/11 without it.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

It is the same with equating Christianity and most Christians with the infamous polygamtist Christian freaks that lived in the "Yearning for Zion" ranch ( which was owned/operated by the "Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints") that the Texas authorities raided in 2008. Remember those freaks?

Or them people at Waco.

It is the same with equating Christianity and most Christians with the infamous polygamtist Christian freaks that lived in the "Yearning for Zion" ranch ( which was owned/operated by the "Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints")

Why would you equate Christians with Mormons? :blink:

Or them people at Waco.

Hmmm, not really. Daivd Koresh believed he was God.

Anyways, a more apt example would be abortion doctor shooters. How can anyone say that religion doesn't at least indirectly play a part? Certainly it does. The significant difference being that there have been more instances of Islamic terrorism today and yesterday, than docters who've been shot EVER. Islam has a big problem with followers. In some Muslim countires, a third of the population have extremist views and violent tendencies.

Edited by Shady

Well then, I guess Jews are also Christians then huh? :rolleyes:

Sorry, I'm wrong. They do believe that he's the Son of God. They don't believe in the trinity (or Jesus as God as the Holy Spirit), and that's something they share with other Christian denominations.

Edited by Smallc

Guest TrueMetis

Why would you equate Christians with Mormons? :blink:

:lol: Their curch is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Really this has to be a joke.

:lol: Their curch is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Really this has to be a joke.

Uh, no, they do not accept christian theology, they believe in several wives and follow the Book of Mormon, written by Joseph Smith. Something about them being the Christ believing Israelites of the Americas. Christian theology differs in all of these and more issues.

Why don't you look up Mormons in wikipedia, Metis? You obviously don't understand the differences.

I'm curious. Who here, including the woman in the quote you are responding to, doesn't recognize that al Qaeda and Islam are not the same??

Well, isn't the whole point of this woman's argument that there shouldn't be a mosque near the former WTC because Islam is the religion that Al-Qaeda professes to?

You even said:

Furthermore, as I said earlier, while all Muslims are not terrorists, all Muslims are not moderates; therefore, Muslims other than moderates could very well be attending that Mosque; a Mosque made possible on that site due to the destruction and death caused by extremist Muslims.

Let's just say there was an incident whereby a black neighbourhood in the south was burned down by a group of whites, Let's keep in mind that there are still many churches that cater either only to blacks and whites in the south to this day . . . What would you think if a black man said: "While all bigots aren't white people, all white people aren't free of bigotry, therefore, white people other than non-racists could very well be attending that church, a church that was made possible by racist white people"

And the man used this as justification for his opposition to any white churches in the area.

How does that make you feel? Kinda makes you feel that you're being punished for the actions of people you yourself despise, and perhaps even that some folks don't see too much of a distinction between you and those people, right?

Here's another article:

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/05/06/2010-05-06_plan_for_mosque_near_world_trade_center_site_moves_ahead.html

It looks like a beautiful, modern building, fit to the footprint of the existing structure and without the characteristics of mosque architecture. It will be built by built by two non-denominational organizations at a cost of $100 million. It will serve as a place for Jumah for 1000 - 2000 muslims but it is predominantly a cultural centre that includes a swimming pool and a 500 seat performing arts venue. This is clearly meant to be a gift to the people of new york. I think it would do good for the collective healing process if they would accept.

To boot, the organization behind it seems all over education, tolerance, respect, and understanding.

People aren't really thinking this one through too much . . .

Al-Qaeda and it's sympathizers love to talk about how the US is against all Muslims. What better concrete example to prove them wrong than to say "If we hate Islam so much, how come there is now a shiny, brand new mosque at the WTC? These Al-Qaeda guys just don't know what they're talking about."

It's a rather brilliant concrete example of religious pluralism.

It's up to New York City and New Yorkers to decide whether a mosque should or shouldn't be allowed near the bombed out Trade Center, but for the record it should be mentioned that there were a small number of Muslims working at the WTC towers, and they apparently even had a prayer room set up in one of the offices, although I don't recall which tower. And it's not as if there were no Muslim casualties of 9/11. There were apparently several 9/11 victims who likely were Muslims based on their names.