Canada says NO to the USA!

Well many here should be happy because they have often said that Canada will always do whatever the US wants us to do. Now we are clearly doing our own thing. The USA wants us to saty in Afganistan, Canada says NO, PArlaiment supported a motion to leave by 2011 and we're sticking to that. USA wants us to include abortion as part of a "Maternal Health" package, Canada again says NO! Our house has voted against this and we're sticking by it.

So I don't think that the left wing of this country can accuse Canada of following the USA's lead any longer. They should be happy.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harper should have said NO to Dick Cheney when it came to pacifying the American bankers and military contractors as far as Afghanistan is concerned...Just think of it--a few hundred soldiers that would be alive today..as if dying for the cause did anything? I don't see sucking American ass ass useful or productive.. I would rather have our men and woman alive than dead and have the AMERICANS pissed off.

Guest American Woman

USA wants us to include abortion as part of a "Maternal Health" package, Canada again says NO! Our house has voted against this and we're sticking by it.

In Absurd Move, Canada Drops Family Planning from Maternal Health Plan

It's not just abortion, it's "family planning."

... the Canadian government has decided to exclude support for contraceptive programs, supplies, and information from its initiative to save the lives and improve the health of mothers in poor countries.

That's something to be proud of.* <_<

*sarcasm

Source for that, please?

Bev Oda said so I believe...Harper also:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/contraception-a-part-of-maternal-health-plan-harper-says/article1505160/

On a side note, I think that Clinton did far too much meddling in her time here. She was less than diplomatic.

Edited by Smallc

Guest American Woman

Bev Oda said so I believe.

I think you're wrong. I can't find anything to back up that claim. The closest I can find is Harper saying he won't rule contraceptives out. That's not saying he's ok with it.

On a side note, I think that Clinton did far too much meddling in her time here. She was less than diplomatic.

Can you elaborate on that?

It was the Liberal Party and Jean Chretien who sent us to Afghanistan not The Conservatives.

If u remember, that did prove to be the right thing to do, the Taliban did leave Afghanistan then. Martin was going to pull them out but an election came and Harper took over the PMO and then he could have pulled them out but decided they should stay until 2011 and until July 2011 comes and goes and our guys and gals are home,you can trust Harper on his word.

If u remember, that did prove to be the right thing to do, the Taliban did leave Afghanistan then. Martin was going to pull them out but an election came and Harper took over the PMO and then he could have pulled them out but decided they should stay until 2011 and until July 2011 comes and goes and our guys and gals are home,you can trust Harper on his word.

Don't buy it for a second.

Not only was the CPC in favour of Afghanistan, they wanted to take us to Iraq as well. Canadian troops were going to Afghanistan either way. At least we didn't get bogged down in the quagmire that is Baghdad.

Not only was the CPC in favour of Afghanistan, they wanted to take us to Iraq as well. Canadian troops were going to Afghanistan either way. At least we didn't get bogged down in the quagmire that is Baghdad.

No way...no how. Canadain Forces would have been a non factor for Iraq....PM Chretien was banking on that.

Well many here should be happy because they have often said that Canada will always do whatever the US wants us to do. Now we are clearly doing our own thing. The USA wants us to saty in Afganistan, Canada says NO, PArlaiment supported a motion to leave by 2011 and we're sticking to that.
Nothing new here. Canada's position has been fixed for several years.

If anything, our "dispute" is not with the US but rather with other NATO members. (Surely even this US administration understands this distinction.)

If you look at a map, Canada's military has taken on the heavy duty of supporting the broad underbelly of the Afghan regime (along with now British forces in Helmand). Kandahar is not an easy place. I am impressed that with so few soldiers, Canada has held this large, exposed area. If casualties are a measure, our soldiers have taken more than their share.

We in the West are in this together. Compared to previous fights to defend and promote Western Civilization, this skirmish is still small. It is time for other NATO members (their soldiers and families) to assume their share of the load.