President Obama visits Afghanistan

President Obama borrowed yet another move out of the George W. Bush playbook with a "suprise" visit to US troops in Afghanistan.

(CNN) -- President Obama rallied U.S. troops and pledged continued partnership with Afghanistan during a previously unannounced trip to the country Sunday.

Speaking to about 2,000 U.S. and allied troops at the major U.S. base in Afghanistan, Obama said, "Those folks back home are relying on you."

"I know it's not easy," he said. "You're far away from home. You miss your kids, you miss your spouses, your family, your friends." But he added, "If I thought for a minute that America's vital interests were not served, were not at stake here in Afghanistan, I would order all of you home right away."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/03/28/obama.afghanistan/index.html?hpt=T1

Looks like he is wearing the same Bush jacket during his speech. Hail to the Chief! :)

Edited by bush_cheney2004

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

President Obama borrowed yet another move out of the George W. Bush playbook with a "suprise" visit to US troops in Afghanistan.

Looks like he is wearing the same Bush jacket during his speech. Hail to the Chief! :)

ya, ya, ... any angle to keep your hero and namesake relevant (on whatever trivial level you can muster). But here's an interesting question to pose to diehards like yourself (ala last weeks Bill Maher show)... is Obama your president, BC?

ya, ya, ... any angle to keep your hero and namesake relevant (on whatever trivial level you can muster). But here's an interesting question to pose to diehards like yourself (ala last weeks Bill Maher show)... is Obama your president, BC?

Of course he is my president....he sure as hell isn't yours...despite observed America gazing and longing! ;)

My heart grows fonder with each new UAV attack and continuation of George W. Bush policies:

• 'Gitmo
    Iraq
    PATRIOT Act
    Extraordinary rendition (kiss kiss Maher!)
    Detentions
    etc.

Gonna have to tell Obama to take his or Bush's war and shove it on this one.

Although those UAV attacks aren't a Bush thing you might remember a month or so ago Cheney was saying they were doing killing TO MANY TERRORIST with those attacks and Bush would never do that.

Edited by punked

Speaking to about 2,000 U.S. and allied troops at the major U.S. base in Afghanistan, Obama said, "Those folks back home are relying on you."

"I know it's not easy," he said. "You're far away from home. You miss your kids, you miss your spouses, your family, your friends." But he added, "If I thought for a minute that America's vital interests were not served, were not at stake here in Afghanistan, I would order all of you home right away."[/i][/indent]

Maybe this is more honest:

"I know it's not easy, but if I make it easy for you, it will not easy for me.....You are far away from home. You miss your kids.......If I thought for a minute that my second term of presidency were not at stake, I would order all of you home right away....."

:lol::unsure:

Edited by xul

My heart grows fonder with each new UAV attack and continuation of George W. Bush policies:

then why the push-back... why do you continue to bring your Obama tea-party sentiments to MLW... if Obama=Bush (=Harper /snarc), why your hesitation, why your reluctance, in flat out endorsing Obama? Or is there something about Obama that doesn't quite fit to your Bush mold? I wonder what it could be... hopefully not too many will come forward to burst your bubble over that list, hey? Hey by the way, how are some of those Obama executive orders working out for you... the ones slowly (but surely) working to undue 8 years of your hero's best efforts? It's only been a year - I understand there's big plans afoot! (in spite of the GOP party of "hell no") :lol:

Gonna have to tell Obama to take his or Bush's war and shove it on this one.

Sorry, but you are still confusing the campaign with actual governance. Suckers !!!!

Although those UAV attacks aren't a Bush thing you might remember a month or so ago Cheney was saying they were doing killing TO MANY TERRORIST with those attacks and Bush would never do that.

Spin it anyway you want....but the progressives who help get Obama elected are shocked and awed at his hawkish actions.

BOOOOOOM!

Wouldn't really be smart to let the insurgents know in advance that the the Prez is coming would it? I'm sure Bush thought that brilliant strategy up all by his lonesome.

Actually...he did....wanted to serve turkey and stuffing to the troops in Iraq. Obama knows a good photo-op when he sees one.

lol exactly! :lol:

I don't think Bush (or Obama) did it so he could surprise the troops. Tadaah!! But rather for security reasons. That usually isn't a decision a President makes, especially one of Bush's strategic brilliance.

Separate issue entirely....Prsident Bush wanted to go to Iraq for quite some time. It was his idea. You can't prove he didn't.

I mean....Christ...next you'll tell me he didn't decide to invade Iraq in the first place. LOL!

I mean....Christ...next you'll tell me he didn't decide to invade Iraq in the first place. LOL!

sorry to burst your bubble, but the 'Decider', wasn't... it was actually his pa and Darth Cheney! Invasion? I thought it was a regime change liberation - go figure!

sorry to burst your bubble, but the 'Decider', wasn't... it was actually his pa and Darth Cheney! Invasion? I thought it was a regime change liberation - go figure!

Doesn't matter either way to me....just git'er done....ding dong Saddam is dead.

Nobody cared what you thought.

seems you cared enough to reply... ding dong the fabrication of the Bush legacy will not go uncontested!

Of course he is my president....he sure as hell isn't yours...despite observed America gazing and longing! ;)

• 'Gitmo
    Iraq
    PATRIOT Act
    Extraordinary rendition (kiss kiss Maher!)
    Detentions
    etc.

Good thread, what really proves this thing was nothing but a photo op was the fact that only 2000 troops were present. Isn't there over 50000 there now? Anyway, what do you think is next in the 'copy Bush' playbook?

Good thread, what really proves this thing was nothing but a photo op was the fact that only 2000 troops were present. Isn't there over 50000 there now?

I'm pretty sure a lot of the other troops were in different areas of the country and actually doing their jobs. Pretty hard to imagine tens of thousands of soldiers dropping their guns and running halfway across the country to see the Prez, who they didn't even know was coming.

Pretty hard to imagine tens of thousands of soldiers dropping their guns and running halfway across the country to see the Prez, who they didn't even know was coming.

Especially since most of them didn't vote for him either.

So you think they aren't excited when they have a visit from their commander in chief?

They're probably excited. Just not quite as excited as they would be for a President they voted for. They're probably excited in the same way people get excited when one of those comedians does a USO tour.

They're probably excited in the same way people get excited when one of those comedians does a USO tour.

I doubt it. I've always observed that the troops have a huge respect for the office of the president, even if not the person. It would be different.