Jack Layton pushes a woman in order to get on camera!

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, what is the big deal?

If it isn't a big deal, why is the NDP and supporters going to such lengths to defend him?

New Democrat Leader Jack Layton was front and centre in the crowd watching the game with his wife and fellow New Democrat MP Olivia Chow at Wayne Gretzky's restaurant in Toronto, where he was captured on camera gently pushing a woman's arm out of the way.

Bloggers blamed the move on eagerness to have his face broadcast to millions as he watched the game at a sports bar like a regular guy, but his press secretary insisted he was just trying to get a better view of the game.

"The TV screen was up there, everybody was looking that way, and he moved her arm to be able to see. She was clearly not upset or anything like that," Karl Bélanger wrote in an email on Monday. "End of the non-story."

http://olympics.thestar.com/2010/article/773630--stephen-harper-won-gold-for-pr-but-shine-likely-won-t-last

Whatever he did, for whatever reason, we are told he did it gently. In his wildest dreams, I doubt Layton thought he would get so much media attention on the final day of the Olympics, much to the chagrin of Ignatieff.

Let's talk of practical matters.

Jack spent at least three hours in the same spot: one hour to bully his way to that coveted camera angle, then two or more hours rooted there so as not to miss a single CTV cutaway to Gretzkys bar.

Either the man has a world class bladder capacity or he is still wearing the catheter from hospital.

Either way, hats off to his true grit.

Let's talk of practical matters.

Jack spent at least three hours in the same spot: one hour to bully his way to that coveted camera angle, then two or more hours rooted there so as not to miss a single CTV cutaway to Gretzkys bar.

Either the man has a world class bladder capacity or he is still wearing the catheter from hospital.

From what i read, he wasn't actually drinking anything. Does anyone know if Layton even drinks alcohol?

From what i read, he wasn't actually drinking anything. Does anyone know if Layton even drinks alcohol?

He used to enjoy a red stripe....when the cameras were off...

But after a few of these....

http://beta.images.theglobeandmail.com/archive/00427/Jack_Layton_drin_427321artw.jpg

He gets silly...

http://ricklargesse.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/jack-layton.jpg

Does anyone know if Layton even drinks alcohol?

according to the NDP press release quoted earlier in this thread, he was there to enjoy a few beers. And grandstand for the camera.

as to Harper, I'd be surprised if he was not at hockey games, he is a serious fan (for the Leafs, poor bastard) and knows lots about the history of the game.

Guest American Woman

I'm not one of those who claimed assault. In fact, if you read what I wrote I did say that the idea of assault was "a bit of a stretch". Don't put other people's words in my mouth and I'll extend you the same courtesy.

I never said you were one of those who claimed assault. In fact, if you read what I wrote you'd see that. So don't accuse me of doing something I didn't and I'll extend you the same courtesy.

And idea of assault and/or pushing her is more than "a bit of a stretch;" it's a complete fabrication.

I'm simply saying that Layton has a long standing rep as a cheesy publicity hog and that this video clip seems consistent with his history.

Again, it's simply some people's opinion that he is a cheesy publicity hog, and if this is the type of evidence that rep is based on, I have to think that it's a rather biased opinion.

Edited by American Woman

I'm sure if the media asked Jack if he hoped he would get some media coverage at Gretsky's that day he'd say, of course. Jack is an honest guy. That doesn't mean that he moved that women's arm, who wanted to sit with Jack, BTW, to be unobscured on camera.

With the delay on the camera he wouldn't have even known he was on camera when he moved her arm.

As to if Jack even drinks alcohol, try searching for jack layton drinking game on youtube. Jack's a good sport, and enjoys tipping a few back as much as the rest of us do.

Moonbox you know that public access to this prime minister is more restricted than at any time in our history so why defend the pretend speeches to the public during campaign that everybody knows are highly controlled advertisements with only the Conservative faithful allowed within 10 blocks?

Well what do you mean by 'the heart of'?

Not knowing exactly what you meant by it....it can mean a lot of things....but the least of them would have to be the edge of a riding with a lower population density than the core..

according to the NDP press release quoted earlier in this thread, he was there to enjoy a few beers. And grandstand for the camera.

as to Harper, I'd be surprised if he was not at hockey games, he is a serious fan (for the Leafs, poor bastard) and knows lots about the history of the game.

Harper was at most of the hockey games. The camera panned and stayed on him for a bit in every game that I watched. But he is the PM so, he should get camera time at the games .... i guess.

Personally, yeah, I'm of the view that Layton wanted to make sure he got on TV.

-k

I agree.

Why it's such a big deal, however, is something I don't get.

Of course Jack should be there trying to get publicity. And, of course, congratulations go out to him for getting a good seat to view the game and get a camera shot of himself on TV.

Just like Harper was at the game with the VIP's and his personal photographer.

That's what politicians are supposed to do.

If not, Michael Iggnatief would be PM by now. :lol:

Pushing the woman out of the way just made him seem really small and desperate.

What was small and desperate was being front row centre for a camera at a crowded bar, when the aim of those camera shots is to show ordinary people celebrating. Jack Layton or any other politician is not an ordinary person.

Had Jack just shown up, and had a photo op interview before/after the game with a TV crew for the nightly news, I can respect that. But taking a spot from an average joe to get your face on TV during the Canadian equivalent to the super bowl, that's just school on saturday.

As for Harper bringing his own photographer, that's a bit strange and wasteful, considering CTV gave him pretty favorable coverage at the games.

And a lot o them probably didn't. I'm sure many hated seeing Harper too.

I didn't like Harper at the women's moguls afterwards, that was cheesy.

But then again Harper wasn't bullying his way to get his face on TV. Layton could have had a photo-op and sent it in to CTV Toronto news, chances are it would have went national, but no he took the gutter.

I didn't like Harper at the women's moguls afterwards, that was cheesy.

But then again Harper wasn't bullying his way to get his face on TV. Layton could have had a photo-op and sent it in to CTV Toronto news, chances are it would have went national, but no he took the gutter.

Yeah well, Harper took the CPC photographer everywhere with him while in Vancouver. He didn't exactly take the high road either.

Not to mention this:

Oh please. He was in front of a camera in a bar. I think some of you are reading way too far into this.

He has his face all over the Canadian media. He does not need to be ruining a moment by taking somebody's place. He's a politician, he can get his face on the media whenever he wants. Canadians want to see a hockey game and the theatrics, not some lame political campaign. Layton had a choice to take the high road, he didn't.

Yeah well, Harper took the CPC photographer everywhere with him while in Vancouver. He didn't exactly take the high road either.

Not to mention this:

Good thing, I didn't agree with taking the photographer as well, because its wasteful. I don't see why you'd want to take one when CTV follows the PM around.

From the C.C.C.

265. (1) A person commits an assault when

(a) without the consent of another person, he applies force intentionally to that other person, directly or indirectly;

However assault also includes the implied threat of use of force - such as chucking your hands up towards someones head and into their personal space. Thus a defence could be that he was merely defending his personal space, and was entrapped with no alternative due to fear of violence by the women who invaded the area of air around his face without his consent blocking his view of any potential threats to his personal safety and security - a fundamental right guarded by the charter.

We all know what happened to Berlusconi

Edited by William Ashley

Guest American Woman

...I didn't agree with taking the photographer as well, because its wasteful. I don't see why you'd want to take one when CTV follows the PM around.

Proabably because Harper has control over the photos that his photographer takes/control over which get published, while CTV will show whatever candid shots it wants, regardless of how Harper looks in them. I can understand his wanting his own photographer.