Jack Layton pushes a woman in order to get on camera!

Why did anyone who was there go there instead of some other bar? You think they were all there because there was a camera there? :rolleyes:

It's not exactly odd that tons of people went to Gretzky's to watch a major hockey game.

With the thousands of bars in the Toronto area, Jack picked that one because of the camera, and had he been front and center cheering and carrying on in a real candid photo op we got the Jack Layton smile as he looked directly at the camera and even moved a womans arm to make sure that the camera had an unobstructed shot.

If it was genuine it would not be met with the reaction it was. Not to mention the NDP would not have had to "explain" his actions or put them into context.

Edited by Alta4ever

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

With the thousands of bars in the Toronto area.......

I realize that there are thousands of bars in the Toronto area. I also realize Gretzky's would be a really popular choice, if not the most popular, to watch an Olympic hockey game when Canada is going for the Gold. so it's not unusual that Layton would go there.

Again, the people who went there didn't go for the camera. They went for the big game. Hockey. Gretzky.

Or do you think that's why everyone went there, for the camera? Do you think it would have been empty but for the camera? Have you ever been there? Sometimes it's so crowded you can hardly get in, and *shock* there aren't even any tv cameras around or an Olympic Gold Medal hockey game going on. There's nothing unusual about the fact that Layton chose to go there to watch the game.

Perhaps Harper shouldn't have gone to the Olympics to watch the game, either. He was just there for the publicity. Is that it?

....the NDP would not have had to "explain" his actions or put them into context.

The NDP wouldn't have had to explain his actions if it weren't for the moronic accusations. :rolleyes:

Edited by American Woman

I realize that there are thousands of bars in the Toronto area. I also realize Gretzky's would be a really popular choice, if not the most popular, to watch an Olympic hockey game when Canada is going for the Gold. so it's not unusual that Layton would go there.

Again, the people who went there didn't go for the camera. They went for the big game. Hockey. Gretzky.

Or do you think that's why everyone went there, for the camera? Do you think it would have been empty but for the camera? Have you ever been there? Sometimes it's so crowded you can hardly get in, and *shock* there aren't even any tv cameras around or an Olympic Gold Medal hockey game going on. There's nothing unusual about the fact that Layton chose to go there to watch the game.

Perhaps Harper shouldn't have gone to the Olympics to watch the game, either. He was just there for the publicity. Is that it?

The NDP wouldn't have had to explain his actions if it weren't for the moronic accusations. :rolleyes:

How many times do I have to explain this. Jack Layton could have stood at any location within that bar that is probably a few thousand square feet. There were hundreds of people there that didn't get on camera, why did Jack? and why did he "position" himself so conveniently?

I am sure that is what you would say about everyone who went to the bar to enjoy the game then?

No. The difference is WHY a person at that bar would want to get on TV?

An ordinary joe trying to get on national TV is doing it obviously because its exciting and fun, something to laugh and boast about with your friends/family, and maybe a once-in-a-lifetime thing. Jack was simply doing it to score cheap political points & to make himself look good to the electorate. And it makes him look as phony as a 3-dollar bill.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

chances are the camera was there because Layton was there and not the other way around the same reason CTV focused in on Harper throughout the games...

moving someone's arm is not assault that's an asinine accusation, the man was watching the game at a critcal moment of the match I would have done the same if she blocked my view of the TV...

How many times do I have to explain this. Jack Layton could have stood at any location within that bar that is probably a few thousand square feet. There were hundreds of people there that didn't get on camera, why did Jack? and why did he "position" himself so conveniently?

Exactly.

And to make things fair, Harper was also at the game at least partly for political reasons. He got face time, and with the Great One no less. But i'd argue that its partly expected for him, as PM, to be there. There might have been minor criticism on him if he didn't show up to such an important/historical Canadian event.

C'mon man you've got to be kidding me.

Why? I don't know why people find this hard to believe. He's the second most popular federal leader. People really do want to see him, no matter what a bunch of Conservatives think.

Guest American Woman

How many times do I have to explain this. Jack Layton could have stood at any location within that bar that is probably a few thousand square feet.

Yes, he could have, but he chose to be by the bar. For the record, it's where I choose to be when I go to Gretzky's, too.

There were hundreds of people there that didn't get on camera, why did Jack?

Same reason the other people around him did. Oddly enough, I've seen pics of the fans at Gretzky's without Layton in the picture. It makes sense that he would be in some shots, since he is a public personality. It would be odd if CTV didn't include him in any shots.

and why did he "position" himself so conveniently?

You don't know that he did "position" himself any more than the others sitting there, before the cameras arrived, "positioned" themselves.

But here's the thing. Why should the leader of the NDP be expected to purposely try to avoid the camera? Why does not avoiding it make him a publicity hog, any more than Harper attending the actual game makes him a publicity hog? Why does Layton's being there mean he "assulted," "pushed," or did any of the other moronic things people accuse him of doing? Why wouldn't a poltitian want to be where there are a lot of people? Seems to be a pretty common occurance, to me.

Exactly.

And to make things fair, Harper was also at the game at least partly for political reasons. He got face time, and with the Great One no less. But i'd argue that its partly expected for him, as PM, to be there. There might have been minor criticism on him if he didn't show up to such an important/historical Canadian event.

That and a trained camera man was panning to find Harper, or any Liberal PM when big events go down. These people aren't taking anyone's opportunity to be on TV and they aren't chasing the camera which is really cheesy.

Why? I don't know why people find this hard to believe. He's the second most popular federal leader. People really do want to see him, no matter what a bunch of Conservatives think.

If you think people want to see politicians of any stripe weaseling their way in to get camera time, you need to get out more. That camera placement was to get reactions from ordinary people not politicians. Layton can get his face on TV whenever he wants, Joe Canadian cannot.

Yes, he could have, but he chose to be by the bar. For the record, it's where I choose to be when I go to Gretzky's, too.

What about the other patrons, chances are they wanted to be by the bar too. Why should he get prime spot just because he's Jack Layton?

Same reason the other people around him did. Oddly enough, I've seen pics of the fans at Gretzky's without Layton in the picture. It makes sense that he would be in some shots, since he is a public personality. It would be odd if CTV didn't include him in any shots.

see below and above

You don't know that he did "position" himself any more than the others sitting there, before the cameras arrived, "positioned" themselves.

Layton being a celebrity and a politician can get on TV and have camera people follow him around whenever he wants. The other people are ordinary Canadians, they get the free pass to position themselves. Yes its a double standard, but Jack Layton isn't an ordinary Canadian. I bet there are other people in the bar who would have loved to be at that location when the cameras were rolling, but ol' Jackie put the screws to them.

But here's the thing. Why should the leader of the NDP be expected to purposely try to avoid the camera? Why does not avoiding it make him a publicity hog, any more than Harper attending the actual game makes him a publicity hog? Why does Layton's being there mean he "assulted," "pushed," or did any of the other moronic things people accuse him of doing? Why wouldn't a poltitian want to be where there are a lot of people? Seems to be a pretty common occurance, to me.

Layton could have had a photo op done at the bar, showing that he was around with ordinary canadians and had that sent to all the political shows/news/ndp ads in the country. The fact is there was no camera crew to pan the crowd to look for jack layton, he was looking for the camera and by diggies he found it.

What Jack Layton did would be the equivalent of Harper punting somebody out of their seat behind the team Canada bench and would smile and wave like a buffoon whenever he thought the camera was panning to the bench. Instead Harper sat at his spot, and the camera came to him specifically.

It's not about whether or not a politician can be around a lot of people and get on TV, the problem is the method of going about and doing it.

Edited by blueblood

If you think people want to see politicians of any stripe weaseling their way in to get camera time, you need to get out more.

I concur. Put Layton or most any modern politician on a "Favorite 1000 Canadians" list and you'd see most of them far down on the list. If Layton was popular at all among a majority of Canadians he would have been in Vancouver. A lot of Canada's favorite Canadians were at the opening and closing ceremonies. If Jack or Ignatieff or even the PM got in front of a mic to speak you would have heard some boos.

i just can't believe some people don't realize that smilin' Jack was there for his photo op. It wasn't a coincidence. The media didn't follow him into the bar. "Hey look at me Canada i'm Jack Layton and i'm at a bar havin' a beer with my blue-collar joe canadian buddies watchin' the ol' hockey game and supporting the boys for the gold. I'm awesome vote for me!" <_<

As a politician I don't like him but if I was to pick a leader to go have a beer with it would most likely to be Layton in first place. I think he'd have some intersting things to talk about outside of politics. As I have two rules when having a beer, no discussions around politics or relgion. These are pretty much informal rules for any bar or pub afaik.

What about the other patrons, chances are they wanted to be by the bar too. Why should he get prime spot just because he's Jack Layton?

see below and above

Layton being a celebrity and a politician can get on TV and have camera people follow him around whenever he wants. The other people are ordinary Canadians, they get the free pass to position themselves. Yes its a double standard, but Jack Layton isn't an ordinary Canadian. I bet there are other people in the bar who would have loved to be at that location when the cameras were rolling, but ol' Jackie put the screws to them.

I think it's like being able to throw a childs tantrum at an airport and still being allowed to take your flight. Certain things are allowable as an MP or leader.

Good call, you wouldn't want to look unintelligent. I'd be tempted to carry that rule over to other parts of your life as well!

I put a couple things in the last couple posts that I thought could turn into jokes. Hehe I thought someone would do the other one first but this one is good too...hehe.

He said that he'd have more time to watch the Olympics on the couch when talking about his cancer. Clearly, that was a factor in any decision that he made.

I didn't see his couch at the bar....

The press release said they (the NDP) would not buy any of the tickets that were set aside for them because they were at face value and that they did not want prefered access.

I know a fellow right now who is undergoing chemo therapy and he still went away for ski weekends in New York. The point is, if he is seeing is oncologist more than twice a week I would be amazed...

if Layton was really trying to get his mug on camera it was a poor choice, if not for CTV making mention of it I never would have spotted him in the crowd...the media chooses to find faces in the crowd not the politicians and celebrities...