Why I Hate the Olympics

I wish for the failure of those cats in high places who seem to think their success and status comes from a bunch of hungry for fame kids...training to be the best...making those old bastards look good who ignore reality...the reality that Vancouver in time will become like Warez Mexico if those FAT LAZY BILLIONARE BASTARDS don't start earning their keep..and earning their keep is not by facilitationg circus like spectacles - this is not old Rome and we are not stupid!

We went and watched the torch run yesterday afternoon. We weren't at any special location, just along a street where the run was taking place. There were hundreds of people where we were enjoying the occasion, many dressed in red and white and many more just with flags. Didn't hear one person bitching. Probably because they wanted to be there for a once in a lifetime experience no matter how small.

I share some of your feelings about the IOC and I was ambivalent about Vancouver getting the games but once they became a reality, it seemed to me there was no option but to hope they are a great success. I'm wondering how you and others hoping they will be a dismal failure is going to help the situation of anyone who lives here. I'm also wondering how better the world would be without hungry for fame kids striving to be the best and everyone was content to be FAT LAZY POOR BASTARDS.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the organizers felt they had to choose between offending GM and supporting budding athletes from disadvantaged environments. That says a lot about where their heads are at.

I think the nauseating sycophantic obsequiousness of the entire spectacle leading up to and surrounding the games poisons my regard for them even more than the cost does.

IMV, if we must have the Olympics, and we must identify sports people, they should compete by continent. Let everyone from Germany, France and Poland be identified as "European". Let Canadians, Mexicans, Americans be identified as "North American".

You are almost there. Teams need funding, therefore instead of national or continental, lets make them Team Coke, Team Audi, Team Toyota....

Team Toyota should be especially competitive in the downhill events...

I think the nauseating sycophantic obsequiousness of the entire spectacle leading up to and surrounding the games poisons my regard for them even more than the cost does.

Mark the this day on the calendar....

I agree with Eyeball

Canadian patriotism is a joke, it's just trying to act like American patriots but worshiping the maple leaf instead of the stars and stripes. It's not even original. What's even sadder is the media blitz by molson canadian and the cbc trying to ram american style patriotism down our throats. Hearing "it's our game" all day during hockey day in Canada is enough to make me vomit, no wonder the NHL has problems expanding.

No offense to BC2004, but I can't stand some American tourists and their flag waving nonsense. What's worse is we have Canadians trying to copy that. I think it's arrogant, proposterous, and an embarassment.

Only because of attitudes such as yours.

I'm not impressed with torch crowds to be honest, Terry Fox probably drew as many and that run still has a lasting benefit...

an overwhelming majority of Canadians think the games will be of benefit?...they're opinions aren't worth much, what benefit were the Montreal O's, zero...what benefit were the Calgary O's, zero...other than some sports local complexes there is zero benefit to the vast majority of Canadians unless a debt to pay them off is considered a benefit...

What makes your opinion worth anymore than the people who do believe they matter?

Edited by nbguyca

Only because of attitudes such as yours.

Exactly. Thankfully, his opinion seems to be in the minority. I've been watching coverage of the torch today, and it's clear to see that this is an emotional and uplifting event for so many. Prime Minister Harper today, said that he hasn't seen Canadian's so excited since the centennial in 1967. I agree, this is really a big event for so many Canadians. Over the last few years, our pride and patriotism about most aspects of our country has been constantly increasing. As I said before, this is really Canada's year...we have 3 major world summits (we just had a fourth that wasn't reported on much) and we have the visit from the Queen and the Canadian Naval Centennial. So many exciting celebrations.

I agree, this is really a big event for so many Canadians. Over the last few years, our pride and patriotism about most aspects of our country has been constantly increasing. As I said before, this is really Canada's year...we have 3 major world summits (we just had a fourth that wasn't reported on much) and we have the visit from the Queen and the Canadian Naval Centennial. So many exciting celebrations.

Unfortunately, the Vancouver Winter Olympics has started with a heavy burden in today's fatal luge accident. It went from cute stories about those silly-ass unobtainable mittens to this in an instant:

Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili died following a crash at the Whistler Sliding Centre on Friday, the International Olympic Committee announced.

The 21-year-old was rushed to hospital but doctors were unable to revive him.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/luge/news/newsid=39315.html#georgian+luger+life+threatening+crash?cid=rssctv

Debate over the course's design and safety is now full speed ahead.

It's a tragic event to be sure, but I don't see it taking away from any of the feelings that I talked about. I read somewhere that the protection on that corner will be modified in order to prevent such a tragedy from happening again.

It's a tragic event to be sure, but I don't see it taking away from any of the feelings that I talked about. I read somewhere that the protection on that corner will be modified in order to prevent such a tragedy from happening again.

It shouldn't take away anything, but it will, if only because of the bandwidth consumed and second guessing about the design of the course (like that fixed corner hazard), which preceded today's accident.

We went and watched the torch run yesterday afternoon. We weren't at any special location, just along a street where the run was taking place. There were hundreds of people where we were enjoying the occasion, many dressed in red and white and many more just with flags. Didn't hear one person bitching. Probably because they wanted to be there for a once in a lifetime experience no matter how small.

I share some of your feelings about the IOC and I was ambivalent about Vancouver getting the games but once they became a reality, it seemed to me there was no option but to hope they are a great success. I'm wondering how you and others hoping they will be a dismal failure is going to help the situation of anyone who lives here. I'm also wondering how better the world would be without hungry for fame kids striving to be the best and everyone was content to be FAT LAZY POOR BASTARDS.

I hope the best for the Vancouverites. I sincerly hope that the Olypics puts some cash in your pockets and shores up your low self esteem.. BUT _ I lost faith and respect for the Olypics and what they stood for when they were hosted in China - a nation that locks you up in the basement and bashes your head in with a pipe if you get out of line - force abortions - organ trafficing - and the fact that they execute more people per capita than any other nation...puts a bad taste in my mouth.

So enjoy - the games but don't expect me to respect the corporates and the committee that guide the four ringed circus along -- I guess Romans need their distractions.

What was the reason for having Arnold carrying a torch?? Did we run out of Canadians?

There were many other non Canadians that carried that torch today (and probably on other days). There's nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Smallc

The bank boys who invest in the Olympics are not very imaginative..they thought that bringing up what they percieve as a box office head liner would be good for buisness. Who are the proud people who put up the bulk of funds for the games - firstly the tax payer - secondary persons are the investors who like to leverage public money. The Arnold thing is a bit stupid but these guys are dated and think Arnold is still some sort of muscled pop star...It just goes to show you the powers that be are getting old and are behind the times.

There is something sinister and occultive about the word CAULDRON. Games to amuse and confuse...wonder how the huge sweep of force in Afghanistan is doing?

Also some freaks created a death trap on the luge track ...how the hell did some one set up this course designed to kill - I guess the caldron burning occult nuts in high places wanted to get this of to a good start - Human sacrafice anyone? You would think that even an ameteur would realise that putting some poles right in the path of where an object traveling at high speed in a straight line continues to go in a straight line - there should have been a net if someone cared - apparently death is special for those waging war or games...yep I think that these rituals are barbarism in hidding.

The whales were certainly cool beans.

But those darn protesters are getting out of hand...at least the 'professional' ones.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/02/13/bc-vancouver-olympic-protest.html

As soon as you start breaking sh!t and attacking pedestrians...say bye-bye to any public support. There's freedom to protest, but this is way over-the-line. Not that attacking the police last night was a class thing to do, either...

But those darn protesters are getting out of hand...at least the 'professional' ones.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/02/13/bc-vancouver-olympic-protest.html

As soon as you start breaking sh!t and attacking pedestrians...say bye-bye to any public support. There's freedom to protest, but this is way over-the-line. Not that attacking the police last night was a class thing to do, either...

I agree. I wish the Police had shoot to kill orders.