UN wants new global currency to replace dollar

Machjo

It is not asking for a common currency:
In essence, the report calls for a new Bretton Woods-style system of managed international exchange rates, meaning central banks would be forced to intervene and either support or push down their currencies depending on how the rest of the world economy is behaving.
It is asking for fixed exchange rates which would be a disaster since the financial flows are now so large that central banks find it impossible to defend current pegs when the unexpected happens.

If the system has problems it is because there too many countries that artifically manipulate exchange rates in order to protect domestic industries. i.e. We would not be in this mess today if China let its currency float instead of buying trillions in US$ debt.

Was it not formed by First World countries to benefit them?

..by benefiting them to bring to a conclusion the second world war and to ensure another global conflaguration didn't erupt over the ashes of the last, yes.

But certainly not to be come a world government lead by kleptocrats and tin pot dictators.

Was it not formed by First World countries to benefit them?

It was formed to promote the co-operation of nations, that means the co-operation of their governments. Co-operation benefits everyone.

It has become an organization that forwards the causes of government - to govern. It studies all that is happening in the world and makes suggestions regarding what it sees as problems. Rioght now it's concerns are the depletion of non-renewable resources and population growth meaning an increase in the consumption of resources and development. Governments seem to agree and are co-operating in an effort to reduce consumption, curtail population growth, and restrict development.

It is hard for governments and the UN to do this because they cannot resolve these problems by cutting these things. It is necessary for governments to grow economies because no growth means no source of revenues for it to operate.

Environmental policies have been deemed to be the best way to achieve these objectives but they can't stop economic growth without suffering economic losses themselves.

This thread, and references to the UN, ignore the fact that currency/money is ultimately a choice of ordinary people.

The Soviet Union had an official currency of roubles - but ordinary Russians wanted US dollars. Still today, Russians prefer US dollars.

The bureaucrats/diplomats with access to taxpayer guaranteed salaries can say what they want - but on this point, they're dead wrong. Money is democratic.

Ordinary people around the world decide what is money, not bureaucratic organizations such as the UN.

Edited by August1991

This thread, and references to the UN, ignore the fact that currency/money is ultimately a choice of ordinary people.

Ultimately, yes. Do we have a choice? The government would like us to think we don't but ultimately we do. The UN won't decide upon the "Amero", North America will, and a universal fiat currency will prove to be a failure as does any fiat currency over time - even the US dollar.

The Soviet Union had an official currency of roubles - but ordinary Russians wanted US dollars. Still today, Russians prefer US dollars.

The bureaucrats/diplomats with access to taxpayer guaranteed salaries can say what they want - but on this point, they're dead wrong. Money is democratic.

Ordinary people around the world decide what is money, not bureaucratic organizations such as the UN.

"Money" is indeed determined by the people. Money substitutes (Money-backed currencies) merely add convenience and in order to maintain their value must be remain backed by "money". Government fiat currencies, may initially be accepted by the people but eventually become valueless.

We had it just about worked out until government started gradually degrading the currency. THe American dollar today is worth about 5 cents of the 1910 dollar.

Will the UN attempt a global currency? I think probably one will try to be introduced commercially and slowly try to work it's way into national economies. Similar to how Bretton-Woods worked on the gold standard. Under Bretton -Woods the gold standard was observed internationally but not in national economies. Citizens were not allowed to trade their dollars in for gold. Banks would simply not redeem them in gold. Eventually international demands for US gold could not be met and Bretton-Woods was cancelled.

While we, the democratic citizen, have the final say on what we will use as money our confidence in government has a lot to do with what we will accept. If the fiat currency starts dropping in value then a black market will develop with a new form of money - perhaps whisky?

Edited by Pliny

• 3 weeks later...

This is why I am moving much of my fluid assets into gold right now and keep it in a hidden safe in my house.

Just in case anything should happen me and my family can move and start again. Many people are doing this as the price of gold is going up and is expected to hit $1500 an ounce. Silver is doing very good as well not as well as gold but performing well.

If you cannot afford gold get into silver and stock pile it. If the banking system collapses it's going to be good to be prepared.

Why do you think all of those late night advertisers "want you gold". The price is getting ready to sky rocket.

This is why I am moving much of my fluid assets into gold right now and keep it in a hidden safe in my house.

Just in case anything should happen me and my family can move and start again. Many people are doing this as the price of gold is going up and is expected to hit $1500 an ounce. Silver is doing very good as well not as well as gold but performing well.

If you cannot afford gold get into silver and stock pile it. If the banking system collapses it's going to be good to be prepared.

Why do you think all of those late night advertisers "want you gold". The price is getting ready to sky rocket.

Probably good advice. Minimally it is a hedge against inflation.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure. A flawed organization whose general assembly has long since hijacked by third world interests and mentalities.

Third world interests such as:

Extending life expectancy to greater than 40 years?

Reducing maternal mortality and children dying under the age of five?

Ensuring that all people have enough food to survive on, and that everyone has access to education?

Making sure that wealthy nations to not bribe 3rd world governments to extract all the resources for next to nothing?

Are those the sort of things that those evil third world countries are doing?

The UN's primary and original purpose for being was to unite the nations in order to avoid further warfare - kind of like a meeting place where people could talk it out - Today they are in the buisness of social engineering and kind of a club of sorts for acedemics who want to feel like big shots - The UN - does nothing to curb violence - and as for currency - forget it - they have no authority in regards of enforcement of any law that dictates what colour money should be or who's logo should be on it.

Third world interests such as:

Extending life expectancy to greater than 40 years?

Reducing maternal mortality and children dying under the age of five?

Ensuring that all people have enough food to survive on, and that everyone has access to education?

Making sure that wealthy nations to not bribe 3rd world governments to extract all the resources for next to nothing?

Are those the sort of things that those evil third world countries are doing?

Simply said - No.

The UN is ripping them off with scams like Food for Oil. Their own Dictators are spending money on themselves and hording the rest in Swiss bank accounts. The people are held under constraint and their wealth confiscated - it seems senseless to produce unless you are part of the dictatorial machine of their governments.

Chavez will destroy Venezuela in short order. Cuba stands as a relic from the fifties. Mugabe has all but decimated Zimbabwe. Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan are cemented in the 12th century and resist entering the 21 century. How many other examples of governments helping their citizens do you want?

How do you think those third world countries will become wealthy? By government providing everything for them - sounds like cattle to me.

If you think that Corporations or businesses are going to bribe third world governments then maybe third world governments shouldn't be allowed to accept money from wealthy nations at all and the money should go directly to the people and they should be allowed to keep it. It is called private property. This is how it has worked in the past in improving the living standards of people in first world countries.

Pliny,

How do you think those third world countries will become wealthy? By government providing everything for them - sounds like cattle to me.

I don't think you understood KeyStone's post.

Countries that are faced with problems such as starvation and life expectancy of 40 years are not concerned with becoming 'wealthy', they're facing immediate emergencies and in this respect the UN organizations have provided much needed aid in disease prevention and emergency relief.

A drastic reform of the UN would have its advantages (for example, breaking up the veto of the permanent security countries) however I for one would march if they did so without having an emergency agency in place beforehand.

Wouldn't it make more sense to squirrel things away like seeds, fuel, tools and guns & ammo etc? I think its fair to say that if the banking system were to collapse that just about everything else would probably fall over too. I doubt if the state will be there to put Humpty Dumpty together again. At least until we're able to put the state back together.

Never tear down the temple of commerce and attempt to rebuild it in three days. The system might not be perfect but it should never be destroyed - It should be assisted and tuned up if at all possible. Those that want to tear down the sytem have nothing to replace it with. That is a serious defect that seems to infest the young rebel mind - destruction ...is not creation.

Never tear down the temple of commerce and attempt to rebuild it in three days. The system might not be perfect but it should never be destroyed - It should be assisted and tuned up if at all possible. Those that want to tear down the sytem have nothing to replace it with. That is a serious defect that seems to infest the young rebel mind - destruction ...is not creation.

Very important and perhaps the very reason that people will adhere to their beliefs so strongly - no alternative is offered or an unwillingness or refusal to accept any other alternative prevents both creation and destruction and the preservation of the status quo.