Plains of Abraham re-enactment cancelled

You are right, for once. Too bad the rest of the posting is your typical non-sense.

Actually who where is wrong on that account as usual.

For much of the eighteenth century, France approached its wars in the same way: it would let its colonies fend for themselves, sending only small numbers of troops—or perhaps inexperienced soldiers—abroad, expecting that battles for the colonies would likely be lost anyway. It would keep most of its army on the European continent, expecting that such a force would be victorious closer to home. The plan was to fight to the end of the war and then, in treaty negotiations, to trade territory in Europe in order to regain overseas possessions lost. This strategy did not serve France well in this war, as the colonies were indeed lost, but France had few counterbalancing European successes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Years'_War

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only was Quebec not abondoned by France, it is on record the "original Canadians" fought with the Americans for four years to secure American Independence. What did your traitor to freedom Ancestors do? Fought against the United States but now like some beaten dog you are eager to kiss the United States Ass at every opportunity - Loser!! Keep projecting what you are on Quebec because the force of history states otherwise.

Perhaps then, you would explain the Treaty of Paris, 1763, in particular Article IV, wherein the King of France ceded Canada and her territories to the King of England.

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/paris763.asp

Actually who where is wrong on that account as usual.

For much of the eighteenth century, France approached its wars in the same way: it would let its colonies fend for themselves, sending only small numbers of troops—or perhaps inexperienced soldiers—abroad, expecting that battles for the colonies would likely be lost anyway. It would keep most of its army on the European continent, expecting that such a force would be victorious closer to home. The plan was to fight to the end of the war and then, in treaty negotiations, to trade territory in Europe in order to regain overseas possessions lost. This strategy did not serve France well in this war, as the colonies were indeed lost, but France had few counterbalancing European successes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Years'_War

Right you are on the fact that France's strategy was centered on the Continent. At the same time, fact is Great Britain's main weapon was its Navy; during that war it effectively dominated the seas.

Whowhere got one sentence right. It's so rare, let's not get that away from him. :P

Right you are on the fact that France's strategy was centered on the Continent. At the same time, fact is Great Britain's main weapon was its Navy; during that war it effectively dominated the seas.

Whowhere got one sentence right. It's so rare, let's not get that away from him. :P

Not really it still amounts to france abandoning its colonies in hopes of negogcaiting them back.

France did not abondon Quebec. Fact France was blocked from Sending its battleships during the Seven Year War to protect Canada. Abodonment?? The Marquies Lafayette of France tried to get the Continental Congress to support a final push to capture Canada in 1778 to 1780. Abondonment Pal??

You mean france was blocked from sending Battleships during the 7 year war to protect "New France", but France had other priorities at home, and New France was not one of them...

The continental Congress didn't have the backbone because they already Got what they wanted - an Independent United States at France's and Quebec's expense

There is a big leap, France and New France may of assisted the Americans in gaining independance, but the majority of that effort came from the americans themselfs. To say that it cost France it's foothold in America is somewhat an exageration. when France was busy with other problems in france itself.

Abondoned buddy?? You are definately a effing lying loser. I would systematically find the supporting documentation to support what I have stated but I will leave that as my future to do list.

Please do, because it sounds like your talking out of that small orface just north of your balls.

If anything I would have to question your Heritage. You are either a Queen Loving Freedom Traitor who ran from the United States fight for Independence or you are just some asshole who came here because your parents decided to settle in Canada from another common wealth Country, or you are just a lifeless loser peroid. If you are a decendent of one of those American Traitor Assholes, I suggest you leave because you are just a dick.

You gave alot of choices here, traitor, asshole, lifeless loser, dick or American traitor assholes,.... i guess the majority of Canadians would fit in with Queen loving freedom traitors or assholes....by the way which group do you belong to, the french from France, or new France, or is it American.

Not only was Quebec not abondoned by France, it is on record the "original Canadians" fought with the Americans for four years to secure American Independence.

I'm curious what is the defination of an "orginal Canadian", there seems to be a pattern growing here, it seems the French just don't seem to like the English much, but history is full of reasons why that is.....they're lovers not fighters....not that, that is a bad thing but it does have it's down fall when when trying to assert itself with the use of force....

What did your traitor to freedom Ancestors do?

Well, lets see, besides kicking Frances ass for a hobby, we also have come to Frances aid, on many occasions, but i guess that don't really count or you've forgotton those times, Vimy ridge has a a massive moument attesting to what we did,along with many other battles on french soil , funney thing that conscription crises really put Quebec in a bad light....Let's not talk about the second world war...which all those sacrafices were undone by de gualle and his famous Canadian tour....

The Problem is, the Real Canadian History is a contrast to the English Canada revisionist agenda.

And while English Canada does have it's draw backs, we do make up the majority,and in a democracy that counts for alot, That being said with out Quebec there would be a void that could not be filled, and it is part of what makes us Canadian.

France did not abondon Quebec. Fact France was blocked from Sending its battleships during the Seven Year War to protect Canada. Abodonment??

Quebecers were abandoned by France.

We are talking after the Treaty of Paris.

At the Treaty of Paris in 1763, France gave up its sole inhabited North American colony. The Quebecois, numbering about 70,000 then, became British subjects.

The Quebecois suffered a feeling of double humiliation. First, they were now a conquered people. Second, it was insulting how easily the motherland had cut them loose.

http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/pros_cons/quebec/quebec.html

At the Treaty of Paris in 1763, France gave up its sole inhabited North American colony. The Quebecois, numbering about 70,000 then, became British subjects.

The Quebecois suffered a feeling of double humiliation. First, they were now a conquered people. Second, it was insulting how easily the motherland had cut them loose.

I will disagree with that assessment. The residents of New France resisted 'Anglicization' mandated by the Royal Proclamation of 1763 and onward. The Treaty of Paris cut them loose from France, but they remained true to their heritage and with the aid of Governor James Murray, and later by his replacement Sir Guy Carlton, the British Parliament passed the Quebec Act in 1774. Residents of what had been New France, or Canada were given the right to maintain their language, religion, culture and system of civil law. This resistance did not come from a 'humiliated' people.

While the Battle of the Plains of Abraham marked a significant change in the course of Canada’s history, it also marked the start of a unique history of our French speaking people. Western Canada is speckled with towns and cities founded by Quebec clerics and initially populated by Quebecois. The unique character and culture of Quebec and in particular Quebec City has survived for two and a half centuries and shows no sign of diminishing. Quebecers have thrived in every field of endeavour.

While the French loss of the Seven Years War may have humbled an empire and a king, the Battle of the Plains of Abraham did not humble the people of New France. Cast adrift from France by the Treaty of Paris, the original French Canadians have built a unique monument to their heritage. With so much to celebrate, and a vibrant, modern French speaking capital to showcase to the world, cancellation of the Plains of Abraham re-enactment is as sad and misguided as the threats that were made by a small group intent on wallowing in unwarranted self-pity.

I will disagree with that assessment. The residents of New France resisted 'Anglicization' mandated by the Royal Proclamation of 1763 and onward. The Treaty of Paris cut them loose from France, but they remained true to their heritage and with the aid of Governor James Murray, and later by his replacement Sir Guy Carlton, the British Parliament passed the Quebec Act in 1774. Residents of what had been New France, or Canada were given the right to maintain their language, religion, culture and system of civil law. This resistance did not come from a 'humiliated' people.

While the Battle of the Plains of Abraham marked a significant change in the course of Canada’s history, it also marked the start of a unique history of our French speaking people. Western Canada is speckled with towns and cities founded by Quebec clerics and initially populated by Quebecois. The unique character and culture of Quebec and in particular Quebec City has survived for two and a half centuries and shows no sign of diminishing. Quebecers have thrived in every field of endeavour.

While the French loss of the Seven Years War may have humbled an empire and a king, the Battle of the Plains of Abraham did not humble the people of New France. Cast adrift from France by the Treaty of Paris, the original French Canadians have built a unique monument to their heritage. With so much to celebrate, and a vibrant, modern French speaking capital to showcase to the world, cancellation of the Plains of Abraham re-enactment is as sad and misguided as the threats that were made by a small group intent on wallowing in unwarranted self-pity.

You should work as the international representative of Montreal - Quebec city and that fantastically gorgeous province of Quebec inhabited by their no nonsense super beauties and those funny little males that all growl when they sing as if they have just swallowed a gravel truck along with the drunken Italian driver. Put my sad humor away for a bit - but your mini-essay should be read by all Canadians - we totally forget the orgins and reasons behind the small irritations that are Quebec and that have lingered....as the French say "To understand is to forgive" - what I just read humanized the detested Quebec.

You gave alot of choices here, traitor, asshole, lifeless loser, dick or American traitor assholes,.... i guess the majority of Canadians would fit in with Queen loving freedom traitors or assholes....by the way which group do you belong to, the french from France, or new France, or is it American.
whowhere belongs to his own one-person group, and language, ethnicity or location have nothing to do with what it is.

Hear Hear

Perhaps then, you would explain the Treaty of Paris, 1763, in particular Article IV, wherein the King of France ceded Canada and her territories to the King of England.

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/paris763.asp

Perhaps you could then explain why the Marquis Lafayette of France spearheaded a final push to capture Canada around 1779. Perhaps you could explain why the United States tried to capture canada for 4 years. This pursuit was kaibashed because of Benedict Arnold's betrayal. Why would the continental congress waste its time and spend so many years trying to gain Canada? Spin your lies because there is ample evidence to show France supported American Independence to regain Canada. No one anticipates failure. This is how it played out. To quebec's dismay the US failed and they have paid the price with treasonous Freedom traitors phsycho abuse ever since.

Interestly Canada was ceded to England and Not Canada. So how is it that Canada is a separate political body from Britain. Like Quebec Canada has been lost in the historical shuffle. If I were Britain I would start to question how it is that Canada is out of its political domain and start doing something about that.

If I were Britain I would use this treaty of Paris, the fact king George Abdicted the throne to Britain during the second world war, and I would repeal the Canada Act and the Statue of Westminister eliminating Canada's indepence. In a further move if I were britain I would bring this before the international court and present the treaty and the abdictation as their entitlement to all the monarch's realms.

It's only a matter of time before Britain starts questioning Canada's legitamacy.

The way this whole issue has been handled by both sides has been disappionting... this whole issue is about Canadian history Canadians, not English Canadians, not French Canadians, not Quebecors, just Canadians, made up of all of the above....it is part of our history, we can not change it, rewrite it as we see fit, nor should we ignore it because it is polictically correct....
Our country, thankfully, has a history. It makes us real.
It is a failure inasmuch as the French require coercive language, education and other laws to maintain the viability of the separate culture.
The US has no coercive laws? More pointedlyl, English Canada has managed to create its own space on this continent.

Since Obama was recently here, I was surprised he made no mention of this. Surely he would understand.

I realize they were both dead, I corrected myself at the bottom of the post. I was thinking of Beauport or Montmorency, not Ste Foy.
Fair enough.
Nothing was settled at the Plains of Abraham. The battle was inconsequential. It only became important in the 19th century. Read French and English history at the time. They don't even mention it. Trade wars, nothing more.
That's absurd.

Read more of your country's history. Wolfe burned and ransacked the French colony. More generally, the Treaty of Paris was a radical change in Canada's history.

At the time of the Conquest, in 1759, the population of northern North America was about 70,000. About 10,000 Europeans had crossed the ocean, or about 6,000 men - 6,000 family names. Today, there are about 7 million people in Quebec but only several thousand family names. Why? (Do the math.)

Canada is two solitudes.

Edited by August1991

And again from 1812 to 1814, certainly not to "liberate" New France.

Modern day US is the benefactor of the immense good will of those who fought for an independent United States and established the constitution. This constitution is what made the US into what it is today. There is no way such a constitution would have been created by the likes of those in the US today. The constitution was established to create a balance of individual liberties and the preservation of Government. The US has the most democratically elected government in the world extending to their judges. That is more that can be said for Canada. But then again Canada was not designed to be independent but beholden to the British Crown. At one point the British will wake up to that fact and do something to correct that.

Perhaps you could then explain why the Marquis Lafayette of France spearheaded a final push to capture Canada around 1779. Perhaps you could explain why the United States tried to capture canada for 4 years. This pursuit was kaibashed because of Benedict Arnold's betrayal. Why would the continental congress waste its time and spend so many years trying to gain Canada? Spin your lies because there is ample evidence to show France supported American Independence to regain Canada. No one anticipates failure. This is how it played out. To quebec's dismay the US failed and they have paid the price with treasonous Freedom traitors phsycho abuse ever since.

Interestly Canada was ceded to England and Not Canada. So how is it that Canada is a separate political body from Britain. Like Quebec Canada has been lost in the historical shuffle. If I were Britain I would start to question how it is that Canada is out of its political domain and start doing something about that.

If I were Britain I would use this treaty of Paris, the fact king George Abdicted the throne to Britain during the second world war, and I would repeal the Canada Act and the Statue of Westminister eliminating Canada's indepence. In a further move if I were britain I would bring this before the international court and present the treaty and the abdictation as their entitlement to all the monarch's realms.

It's only a matter of time before Britain starts questioning Canada's legitamacy.

Lafayette served in the American continental army under Washington. Some officers working without Washington's knowledge proposed an invasion of Canada. Preparations for this 'mission' were undertaken by General Gates who wanted Lafayette to head the mission. Lafayette declined and pleaded with Washington who overrode him and asked that he undertake the mission, but advised that the mission would not succeed. Lafayette took charge of the mission in 1778 but found that preparations were entirely inadequate.

In a letter to Washington under date of February 23, 1778, Lafayette stated he found each day conditions were very serious with no prospects of improvement. He found debt, dissatisfaction, and deceit everywhere. He wrote: "I am sent, with a great noise, at the head of the army to do great things. The whole continent, France, and what is the worst, the British army will be in expectation." Finally, Congress realized the seriousness of the situation and sent dispatches to Lafayette to delay the expedition which meant the wild adventure was ended and it came to such an untimely end as Washington had said it would. Washington knew that the Congress did not have the money to spend on such futile expeditions and there was lacking sufficient man power to invade Canada at this time. Finally, in March 1778, Congress passed the following resolution on behalf of Lafayette's service: "That Congress entertain a high sense of his prudence, activity, and zeal and that they are fully persuaded nothing has or would have been wanting on his part, or on the part of the officers who accompanied him, to give the expedition the utmost possible effect." Lafayette returned to Valley Forge early in April 1778 and was warmly welcomed by Washington. Washington found he could place the utmost responsibility upon Lafayette. Lafayette found that the conspiracy to displace Washington was virtually ended and with defeat for the conspirators. He was involved in action at Barren Hill on May 20th. Lafayette remained at Valley Forge improving his knowledge of military tactics until Washington marched out of Valley Forge to meet the enemy in New Jersey.

http://www.ushistory.org/Valleyforge/served/lafayette.html

Lafayette never spearheaded any mission to 'rescue' New France. The misguided mission by some continental army officers was to add Canada to its territory and failed miserably due to lack of funds and manpower. Lafayette was exonerated from culpability for the failure.

Of course Canada was ceded to England. Canada was a colony of France, not an independent nation, and became a colony of England. The Americans invaded in the War of 1812-14. That invasion was the result of trade disputes between Britain and America in the West Indies. Canada became a nation in 1867 when Quebec joined in confederation to protect herself from another American invasion. The Quebecois knew that they would never get the concessions they enjoyed under the Quebec Act if they were annexed to America, and it was in their interests to build a strong Canada capable of repelling another American invasion.

Your knowledge of history, in particular the history of New France from 1759 onward is abysmal. A proud people have created a unique monument to French culture over a period of two and a half centuries without aid from France or anywhere else except for the other provinces of Canada. You should take pride in the existence of a modern French speaking province unlike any other place outside of France. Other former colonies of France pale in comparison. You are so busy studying your navel that you fail to see the accomplishments of the Quebecois within confederation. I regret that you are intent on rewriting history as some fantastic fantasy. By so doing, you are failing the Quebecois and inviting scorn from those who should be admiring their achievements.

Without British support following the Seven Year's War and the Treaty of Paris, the Quebecois whose ancestors had not starved to death would be speaking English and singing the American anthem today. It is time you grew up and learned to dance with the lady who brought you to the ball.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you: Bagdad Bob

He had to resurface eventually. We should all be honoured that he chose this forum to reveal himself.

Modern day US is the benefactor of the immense good will of those who fought for an independent United States and established the constitution. This constitution is what made the US into what it is today. There is no way such a constitution would have been created by the likes of those in the US today. The constitution was established to create a balance of individual liberties and the preservation of Government. The US has the most democratically elected government in the world extending to their judges. That is more that can be said for Canada. But then again Canada was not designed to be independent but beholden to the British Crown. At one point the British will wake up to that fact and do something to correct that.
It does not occur to you that the British North America Act, which is the basis of the Canadian confederation was written with a copy of the American constitution at hand. The American constitution is not without flaws, amongst which are that federal powers are given by the states and the American system has no independent Head of State with residual powers to take control in a crisis. Many people are confused over the differences between the American republic system and Canada's Westminster Parliament. Canada is heir to one of the oldest democratic systems in existence dating back to the Magna Carta of 1215. If you wish to debate the Canadian Constitution or the Westminster system of Parliament, I am up for it, but be warned to come prepared. There is a rather large body of written and unwritten law that applies in addition to the Constitution Act.

It does not occur to you that the British North America Act, which is the basis of the Canadian confederation was written with a copy of the American constitution at hand. The American constitution is not without flaws, amongst which are that federal powers are given by the states and the American system has no independent Head of State with residual powers to take control in a crisis. Many people are confused over the differences between the American republic system and Canada's Westminster Parliament.
Many people are confused? Including you.

Canada's history predates Confederation. French and British monarchs may have ostensibly enacted our constitutions for the past three centuries, but people organized life here even before the European monarchs got involved.

Compared to Europeans, we Canadians (and North Americans in general) are a civilized lot. We may argue but we don't slaughter each other as uncivilized, violent Europeans often do.

North Dakota doesn't attack Manitoba while Colorado stands aside to watch. (In 1939, Germany attacked Poland and Britain and France watched. Or what of Yugoslavia?)

The US Civil War is the one violent experience in North/South America's history. In comparison, Europeans are uncivilized, violent heathens who wage constant wars.

Edited by August1991

Many people are confused? Including you.

Canada's history predates Confederation. French and British monarchs may have enacted our constitutions, for the past three centuries, but people organized life here even before the European monarchs got involved.

Compared to Europeans, we Canadians (and Americans) are a civilized lot. We may argue but we don't slaughter each other as uncivilized, violent Europeans do.

LOL - Off we go into the wild blue yonder . . . . . .

LOL - Off we go into the wild blue yonder . . . . . .
Have you ever been to Poland?

Or how about the banks of the Marne? Or the Danube?

In comparison, the banks of the Mississippi have known peace.

----

We Americans (North and South) are civilized, peaceful people. Europeans are uncivilized and violent.

Edited by August1991

I will disagree with that assessment. The residents of New France resisted 'Anglicization' mandated by the Royal Proclamation of 1763 and onward. The Treaty of Paris cut them loose from France, but they remained true to their heritage and with the aid of Governor James Murray, and later by his replacement Sir Guy Carlton,

You are praising Guy Carleton for aiding Quebecers to remain true to their heritage.

That is news to me.

The French Canadians pressed Carleton to appoint a replacement for Bishop Henri-Marie Dubreil de Pontbriand, who had died in 1760. Carleton appointed Jean-Olivier Briand to succeed Pontbriand in 1766. However, Carleton, who was appointed governor in 1768, still had the difficult task of attempting to offer the French Canadians conciliation and toleration on one hand, while attempting to assimilate them into British colonial society on the other.

http://ca.encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_461...%A9bec_act.html

the British Parliament passed the Quebec Act in 1774. Residents of what had been New France, or Canada were given the right to maintain their language, religion, culture and system of civil law. This resistance did not come from a 'humiliated' people.

They did not know what else to do with them and used them to Britains advantage. That is why they were given the Quebec Act.

The unique character and culture of Quebec and in particular Quebec City has survived for two and a half centuries and shows no sign of diminishing. Quebecers have thrived in every field of endeavour.

Thanks to the forced participation of Canadian tax payers and federal transfer payments along with a multitude of federal subsidies.

While the French loss of the Seven Years War may have humbled an empire and a king, the Battle of the Plains of Abraham did not humble the people of New France. Cast adrift from France by the Treaty of Paris, the original French Canadians have built a unique monument to their heritage. With so much to celebrate, and a vibrant, modern French speaking capital to showcase to the world,

Thanks to the efforts of communist inspired Quebecer Pierre Trudeau for forcing Quebec ideologies onto the ROC along with his his anti-Canadian actions while acting under the capacity of prime minister of Canada.

Edited by Leafless

But then again Canada was not designed to be independent but beholden to the British Crown. At one point the British will wake up to that fact and do something to correct that.

Yes, the feds do keep forgetting Canada is a Constitutional Monarchy with a Westminster style Parliamentary Democracy.

It will take the Brits to teach them what 'good government' is all about and is not to be abused with republic political aspirations without any sort of safety valve serving the citizens of Canada.