Plains of Abraham re-enactment cancelled

What part of the 1982 Constitution being signed by the Queen did you not get. What part of the Queen being represented by the Governor General do you not understand? What part of the Governor General having to sign legislation to make into Law do you not understand?

I do not understand none of it. What you appear to insist on misunderstanding is that because Elizabeth II serves as Queen of the UK while she also serves as Queen of Canada does nothing to prove your claim that the British monarch is Canada's head of state. You may want to familiarise yourself with the concept of a personal union: "PERSONAL UNION, or dynastic union, is the combination by which two different states are governed by the same prince, while their boundaries, their laws and their interests remain distinct." Queen of Canada, Queen of the UK, Queen of Belize, Queen of Austrlaia; same person, many completely different, and separate, hats.

[ed. to correct punct.]

Edited by g_bambino

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then, why the fuss about this re-enactment being a sign of the federal government's intent to humiliate the inhabitants of Quebec? If the thing was presented as a faithful re-enactment of an historical event, which nobody could doubt was pivotal in the history of North America, all the emotional meaning is simply laden on by those who want to see the results of the battle in some particular way. Yes, your examples of certain policies that followed in the centuries after 1759 are valid, and they were exactly what I was alluding to when I spoke of some steps backwards; but, you agree with me that, in the whole, movement of Quebecois' rights, and consequently their culture, has been mostly on the up. If that is the case, then surely you realise that those who say the Quebecois have continuously been oppressed and denied their right to cultural survival by English-speaking overlords do so only for their own self-interests and are totally in the wrong. Certainly, history is rarely as tidy as black and white, but we are all perfectly capable of looking back and seeing generally the circumstances in which a people existed; is what Marois and all those separatists who shot down this re-enactment are telling the world about what this battle represents even remotely close to the general truth?

[copyedited]

Those who see the history of French-speaking Canadians as one of opression are not wrong, theu think it's still like that. Quite a difference.

Exactly.

Successful cultures don't have time for "resentments" and "insults".

Exactly, because that is 1867 Canada in a nutshell. 1867 Canada is a Nation of losers and cultural rejects. 2009 and Quebec and the rest of Canada are still fighting over what exactly? Good on you people, enjoy your Canada shit heaven, your days are numbered. Day by day you all inch closer to that furnace to be obliterated. When that day happens, know I told you so.

:D

French, English, Immigrant doesn't matter you are all going into the furnace. My motto is throw them all in and let God sort them out from there. ;) If you are to be spared you will be spared. If not oh well, Good ridance to you all.

I suggest you read the King James. God doesn't have time for you and what are you to him? After Noah's ark the people built a tower to heaven, God smashes the tower and scatters the people around the globe. When moses climbs the mountain to get God's commandments the people created a gold calf and worshipped it. God unleashed his wrath and obliterated those who were guilty out of existence. 300 BC the tribes of Isreal provided a translation of the old Testament, the septuagint to the Greeks and the old testament stories became known. Jesus comes along 300 years later and talks alot of shit and subsequently has become man's new whore. You see Jesus is no different than the golden calf the children of Isreal constructed while moses was up at the mount. However, this time I believe god has allowed this shit branch to run its course Why?

Jesus preached heaven but he in fact delivered the mechanism of destruction. Where you people will not be judged but thrown into the furnace of hell and obliterated out of existence. Why would god relinquish this mechanism? Give people enough rope they hang themselves. ;)

Don't believe?? So what, what do I care? I know the King James because I have read and thought on it for more than 15 years. Reading this book and paralleling it with life as we are in is tough. I have already reconciled myself with the God of Jacob a long time ago. Everything is cool and kosher. So where I am at in my life is par for the course in the Grand scheme of things.

So I say to you people you better hope your Queen knows her shit because I am sure when death takes her God will put her through the ringer and test her every which way to determine if she is just a drone or someone who thinks before she acts.

She fails you are all going with her that's the consequences of pledging allegiance and being subjects of a lackadaisacle queen. She is responsible for what has happened to Canada since 1982 whether she acknowledges or not.

Canada had the potential to be a great Country but the politicians and bureacrats chose the path of greed, exploitation, and corruption. This Queen did nothing to stop this immolation and therefore she is complicit to the corruption. Canada has been run in a way to feather their nests at the expense of Canada and Canada's future generations.

Is this Queen any better than Hitler? Hitler gassed and killed six million Jews. Thanks to this Queen Canada's population has increased by 30%, 20 million to 34 million through immigration since 1982. That people is cultural genocide and is unacceptable. She has failed to defend the faith and complicit to allowing Canada into being an idoltrous whore.

So you people better pray she has good answers because you people are going to share her fate. Just love your Queen and thank her for the Canada the politicians and bureacrats have wrecked.

Maybe, just maybe she will wake up and fix what she has done. I will not hold my breath on that.

Sadly, the only way to fix 1867 Canada is to repeal the Statue of Westminister and 1982 Constitution and put Canada under the legislative control of the UK. This will end this cultural squabling between Quebec and Canada once and for all.

:unsure:

Those who see the history of French-speaking Canadians as one of opression are not wrong, theu think it's still like that. Quite a difference.

Aren't they wrong? Because one thinks something doesn't make it right; Whooowheee thinks Canada is still under the control of Britain via our queen, but, does that make him right? As I see it, the facts show that, on the whole (ie minus a few setbacks here and there), Quebecers have been anything but oppressed. What facts are there to prove this view to be misinformed and off the mark?

French, English, Immigrant doesn't matter you are all going into the furnace. My motto is throw them all in and let God sort them out from there. If you are to be spared you will be spared. If not oh well, Good ridance to you all.

I suggest you read the King James. God doesn't have time for you and what are you to him? After Noah's ark the people built a tower to heaven, God smashes the tower and scatters the people around the globe. When moses climbs the mountain to get God's commandments the people created a gold calf and worshipped it. God unleashed his wrath and obliterated those who were guilty out of existence. 300 BC the tribes of Isreal provided a translation of the old Testament, the septuagint to the Greeks and the old testament stories became known. Jesus comes along 300 years later and talks alot of shit and subsequently has become man's new whore. You see Jesus is no different than the golden calf the children of Isreal constructed while moses was up at the mount. However, this time I believe god has allowed this shit branch to run its course Why?

Very interesting take on the Bible. This is another folksy take on the Bible, in the form of a rather good Negro Spiritual (link to lyrics).

Dry Bones

Traditional Spiritual

Ezekiel cried, “Them dry bones!”

Now hear the word of the Lord.

The foot bone connected to the leg bone,

The leg bone connected to the knee bone,

The knee bone connected to the thigh bone.

The thigh bone connected to the hip bone,

The hip bone connected to the back bone,

The back bone connected to the shoulder bone,

The shoulder bone connected to the neck bone,

The neck bone connected to the Jaw bone,

The jaw bone connected to the head bone,

Them bones, them bones gonna walk around,

Them bones, them bones, them dry bones,

Hear the word of the Lord.

Edited by jbg

One thing is sure, YOU are a child. Whining that equality of rights is some sort of special treatment, whining about immigrants.

I am entirely in favour of equality of rights, but you tend to want equality of results, which is quite different. I'm also not against immigrants, just the present immigration system, which has not been acting in the best interests of the country for some decades now.

And you are whining and acting like an immature child at the moment, pouting and sulking because someone challenges the cultural value set of the Quebecois.

Could it be the same reason why Holocaust deniers and white supremacists find themselves at home in some English-speaking Canadian circles

I can't think of anywhere such people would find a home. If you can, please cite it. Btw, why is it that the firebombings of Jewish temples and schools seems to mostly happen in Quebec?

I would be the last person to claim that there no bigoted, intolerant, racist currents in Quebec's society that are given far too wide a berth. But they exist in other provinces too

No, they don't. Not in the same dimensions. Oh, sure, there are people willing to make bigoted, intolerant statements everywhere. But such statements are generally not acceptable coming from public figures. When they do make such statements they're quickly repudiated, and often lose their positions. That has not seemed to be the case in Quebec, where rather well-known members of the media, union, business, cultural and artistic community, and some politicians, have, over the years, made the kinds of breathtakingly bigoted remarks which are virtually unknown in public circles outside Quebec - with no real challenges or recriminations from the rest of Quebec society.

That has not seemed to be the case in Quebec, where rather well-known members of the media, union, business, cultural and artistic community, and some politicians, have, over the years, made the kinds of breathtakingly bigoted remarks which are virtually unknown in public circles outside Quebec - with no real challenges or recriminations from the rest of Quebec society.

Such as? The first thing that came to mind as I read your words was Jacques Parizeau and his "money and the ethnic vote" comments, which essentially saw his banishment from the Quebec seccessionist spotlight.

Such as? The first thing that came to mind as I read your words was Jacques Parizeau and his "money and the ethnic vote" comments, which essentially saw his banishment from the Quebec seccessionist spotlight.
Was that quite accurate remark so toxic as to kill this thread?

I might venture to say that the Post's headline is what should attract criticism, as it did imply that the entire province needed to be told to quit its whining, and thus did not reflect the actual content of the article, which, by my memory (feeble as it may be), focused more on the sovereigntists who were banging their drums again. So, the Post gets a (typically Canadian) median thumbs up and thumbs down from me; the authors' points were, I think right, but they were not careful enough to avoid slipping into the territory of stereotypes.

Given the entire province gets to vote, and huge numbers of them repeatedly vote for separatists I don't think blaming Quebecers as a group is much of a stretch.

Those who see the history of French-speaking Canadians as one of opression are not wrong,

Oppresion? Yeah, right. You sound like a monty python skit. "Help! Help! I'm being oppressed!"

Can you give us a brief rundown on how many Quebecers were killed and tortured by the evil Anglos prior to the arrival of the Sovereigntists to save the day?

Given the entire province gets to vote, and huge numbers of them repeatedly vote for separatists I don't think blaming Quebecers as a group is much of a stretch.
In the October 2008 election the Bloc Quebecois received 38.1% of the valid votes cast which is only 23.1% of the eligible votes and represents 18.3% of the population. Voter turnout was 61%; 2,283,035 people stayed home and did not vote, 50,043 spoiled their ballots. Support for the BQ is not nearly as strong as it appears from election results. Edited by WestViking

In the October 2008 election the Bloc Quebecois received 38.1% of the valid votes cast which is only 23.1% of the eligible votes and represents 18.3% of the population. Voter turnout was 61%; 2,283,035 people stayed home and did not vote, 50,043 spoiled their ballots. Support for the BQ is not nearly as strong as it appears from election results.

And if you take out the Anglos and immigrants?