What is your take on Sarah Palin?

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not about more Americans supporting Palin's values. There are those who are on her bandwagon just because she's a woman. That should be obvious from how much support McCain has managed to get since picking Palin. Obviously everyone wasn't thinking before he picked her that 'gee, Palin would be a good choice' because no one had heard of her. Her views aren't different from McCain's, they aren't any more appealing to women than McCain's, so it's not about "values." In fact, I've read where a lot of women aren't even aware of some of their stands regarding restricting choices. A case in point is Palin's speech writer for the RNC downplayed Palin's ideologies. He kept them more 'middle of the road moderate' than what they really are.

And for the record, Americans haven't "made up their minds" until the election is over. And since people didn't "shut up about Obama and his values" when he was leading in the polls, and I didn't see you suggesting that they should, your suggestion that 'we shut up about Palin's values' is even more moronic than it would otherwise be.

Your assuming that everyone voting her is doing so because she is a women. My point is that if she is the catalyst that wins the election for a moderate republican with her far right views (on certain issues) is that not an indication on what the American people actually want?

Guest American Woman
Your assuming that everyone voting her is doing so because she is a women. My point is that if she is the catalyst that wins the election for a moderate republican with her far right views (on certain issues) is that not an indication on what the American people actually want?

Of course I'm not assuming that everyone supporting her is doing so because she is a woman. What would make you think that? I realize there are Republicans who share her views; other Conservative Christians, Conservative Social Republicans, who think her extreme right views are 'right on.'

But since there are a lot of women who are supporting her just because she's a woman, no, it isn't an indication of what the American people actually want. If it were 'Sam' Palin instead of Sarah Palin, identical in every other way, I don't see the same enthusiasm, the same support, the same excitement from the female population. If Sarah's support were "an indication of what the American people actually want," 'Sam' would enjoy the same support, and I think we both know that wouldn't have happened.

I'm going out on a limb here. I realize my views are sexist, and I don't care. If I were an American voter, I would support John McCain because I think Sarah Palin is the most attractive woman on the planet. I am completely in love with her and I want to worship at her feet!

I could care less if she screws things up, which I don't think she would. She's not part of the Washington establishment.

Whoever moves into the Whitehouse next year could theoretically do everything right and there are still enough screwballs in Washington (senators, congressmen, administators, bureaucrats) to mess things up royally.

Much has been made of her supposed lack of experience, but can anyone ever really claim to be qualified for the job of leader of the free world? Hardly.

Historically, all previously elected presidents (including the current one) -- prior to becoming president -- have either distinguished themselves in wartime or have had previous executive experience (as a state governor, vice-president or U.S. secretary of state). No one has gained the presidency only on the merits of being a U.S. senator alone. Accordingly, Palin and McCain are qualified for the office, Obama and Biden are not.

Perhaps I'm being a bit simplistic, but so what. I'm a janitor and it's expected of me. I assume most people would like to think they cast a reasonable vote when they enter the voting booth, but to look at the presidential election through the American news and entertainment media, it becomes obvious Americans prefer the junk food aspect of politics as opposed to the meat and potatoes of the real issues.

Besides, moose meat is the best in the world. Sarah could drop a moose with an AR-16 without breaking a sweat and probably have that thing cut and wrapped in an hour flat, leaving some self-styled feminists eating her dust.

Have you seen the YouTube video of her firing off some rounds at a shooting range in Kuwait. Powerful stuff...USA! USA! USA!

ALL HAIL SARAH -- FUTURE QUEEN OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF AMERICA!

Edited by the janitor

I'm going out on a limb here. I realize my views are sexist, and I don't care. If I were an American voter, I would support John McCain because I think Sarah Palin is the most attractive woman on the planet. I am completely in love with her and I want to worship at her feet!

I could care less if she screws things up, which I don't think she would. She's not part of the Washington establishment.

Have you seen the YouTube video of her firing off some rounds at a shooting range in Kuwait. Powerful stuff...USA! USA! USA!

ALL HAIL SARAH -- FUTURE QUEEN OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF AMERICA!

So, you admit you are voting for an image that is all junk food and no meat or potatoes. Gotcha.

If I were an American voter, I would support John McCain because I think Sarah Palin is the most attractive woman on the planet. I am completely in love with her and I want to worship at her feet!

As the saying goes about great looking women....."someone somewhere is sick of her shit" *

*applies to good looking men-present company excluded

I got a better idea then; nominate Tina Fey for VP -- she looks strikingly similar, except that her face isn't starting to sag, and she's a hell of a lot more intelligent than Sarahbarracuda!

Whoever moves into the Whitehouse next year could theoretically do everything right and there are still enough screwballs in Washington (senators, congressmen, administators, bureaucrats) to mess things up royally.

Much has been made of her supposed lack of experience, but can anyone ever really claim to be qualified for the job of leader of the free world? Hardly.

Republican mouthpieces on talk radio and FoxNews can't blame this mess all on Congress and bureaucrats (especially when they controlled Congress when most of the deregulation was going on)! Harry Truman had a sign on his desk in the Oval Office: "The Buck Stops Here," and he was likely the last U.S. president willing to accept full responsibility when things went wrong. There's no escaping the fact that these foreign and domestic disasters could have been prevented, or minimized if there was a leader in the White House with the cognitive ability to understand more than his edited briefing papers, and actually had a grasp of economics and a decent knowledge of what forces were at work in the countries that he wanted to invade.

America (and the rest of us) are in this mess because Americans hate "elitism" in their politicians, and would rather have a folksy, fumbling oaf who they would want to have a beer with. In an editorial in Newsweek, Sam Harris asks the question: Is elitism a bad thing in political leaders? Would you choose your doctor, mechanic, or plumber on the basis of which one you would rather have a beer with? If not, why would you want an ordinary idiot running the ship of state?

The problem, as far as our political process is concerned, is that half the electorate revels in Palin's lack of intellectual qualifications. When it comes to politics, there is a mad love of mediocrity in this country. "They think they're better than you!" is the refrain that (highly competent and cynical) Republican strategists have set loose among the crowd, and the crowd has grown drunk on it once again. "Sarah Palin is an ordinary person!" Yes, all too ordinary.

We have all now witnessed apparently sentient human beings, once provoked by a reporter's microphone, saying things like, "I'm voting for Sarah because she's a mom. She knows what it's like to be a mom." Such sentiments suggest an uncanny (and, one fears, especially American) detachment from the real problems of today. The next administration must immediately confront issues like nuclear proliferation, ongoing wars in Iraq and Afghanistan (and covert wars elsewhere), global climate change, a convulsing economy, Russian belligerence, the rise of China, emerging epidemics, Islamism on a hundred fronts, a defunct United Nations, the deterioration of American schools, failures of energy, infrastructure and Internet security … the list is long, and Sarah Palin does not seem competent even to rank these items in order of importance, much less address any one of them..................................................................

What is so unnerving about the candidacy of Sarah Palin is the degree to which she represents—and her supporters celebrate—the joyful marriage of confidence and ignorance. Watching her deny to Gibson that she had ever harbored the slightest doubt about her readiness to take command of the world's only superpower, one got the feeling that Palin would gladly assume any responsibility on earth:

"Governor Palin, are you ready at this moment to perform surgery on this child's brain?"

"Of course, Charlie. I have several boys of my own, and I'm an avid hunter."

"But governor, this is neurosurgery, and you have no training as a surgeon of any kind."

"That's just the point, Charlie. The American people want change in how we make medical decisions in this country. And when faced with a challenge, you cannot blink."

The prospects of a Palin administration are far more frightening, in fact, than those of a Palin Institute for Pediatric Neurosurgery. Ask yourself: how has "elitism" become a bad word in American politics? There is simply no other walk of life in which extraordinary talent and rigorous training are denigrated. We want elite pilots to fly our planes, elite troops to undertake our most critical missions, elite athletes to represent us in competition and elite scientists to devote the most productive years of their lives to curing our diseases. And yet, when it comes time to vest people with even greater responsibilities, we consider it a virtue to shun any and all standards of excellence. When it comes to choosing the people whose thoughts and actions will decide the fates of millions, then we suddenly want someone just like us, someone fit to have a beer with, someone down-to-earth—in fact, almost anyone, provided that he or she doesn't seem too intelligent or well educated.

I believe that with the nomination of Sarah Palin for the vice presidency, the silliness of our politics has finally put our nation at risk. The world is growing more complex—and dangerous—with each passing hour, and our position within it growing more precarious. Should she become president, Palin seems capable of enacting policies so detached from the common interests of humanity, and from empirical reality, as to unite the entire world against us. When asked why she is qualified to shoulder more responsibility than any person has held in human history, Palin cites her refusal to hesitate. "You can't blink," she told Gibson repeatedly, as though this were a primordial truth of wise governance. Let us hope that a President Palin would blink, again and again, while more thoughtful people decide the fate of civilization.

Edited by WIP

Funny, somehow I get the feeling you would really look down on the woman who says:

I'm going out on a limb here. I realize my views are shallow, and I don't care. If I were an American voter, I would support Obama because I think he is the most attractive man on the planet. I am completely in love with him and I want to worship at his feet!

I could care less if he screws things up, which I don't think he would. He's not part of the Washington establishment [...]

Edited by BC_chick

I got a better idea then; nominate Tina Fey for VP -- she looks strikingly similar, except that her face isn't starting to sag, and she's a hell of a lot more intelligent than Sarahbarracuda!

Sorry, but Tina Fey is gross. And I'm not sure how you figure she's "a hell of a lot more intelligent" than Sarah Palin. But I can tell you one thing, I'm a hell of a lot more intelligent than you.

Tina Fey, Lindsay Lohan and Matt Damon can complain about Palin all they want. It's easy to throw stones when you're sitting on the sidelines. Fact is none of them have the guts to actually get into any sort of political contest. If supporters on the political left want to let Oprah Winfrey tell them who to vote for, thats up to them. Heck, it's easier than thinking for yourself. It's not as if Oprah will ever be president either.

ALL HAIL SARAH!

Edited by the janitor

Tina Fey, Lindsay Lohan and Matt Damon can complain about Palin all they want. It's easy to throw stones when you're sitting on the sidelines. Fact is none of them have the guts to actually get into any sort of political contest.

My, how you ignore reality to make a dumb post.

What have Hannity and Colmes, O'reilly, Limbaugh,Beck, ever run for?

Limbaugh, he runs, from the cops everytime they ask for a prescription for his "drugs" . You want frauds, there you go.

Got to at least give Franken kudos for running.

My, how you ignore reality to make a dumb post.

What have Hannity and Colmes, O'reilly, Limbaugh,Beck, ever run for?

Limbaugh, he runs, from the cops everytime they ask for a prescription for his "drugs" . You want frauds, there you go.

Got to at least give Franken kudos for running.

Limbaugh doesn't need to run for office. He already knows Palin is the best woman for the job.

Republican mouthpieces on talk radio and FoxNews can't blame this mess all on Congress and bureaucrats (especially when they controlled Congress when most of the deregulation was going on)! Harry Truman had a sign on his desk in the Oval Office: "The Buck Stops Here," and he was likely the last U.S. president willing to accept full responsibility when things went wrong. There's no escaping the fact that these foreign and domestic disasters could have been prevented, or minimized if there was a leader in the White House with the cognitive ability to understand more than his edited briefing papers, and actually had a grasp of economics and a decent knowledge of what forces were at work in the countries that he wanted to invade.

America (and the rest of us) are in this mess because Americans hate "elitism" in their politicians, and would rather have a folksy, fumbling oaf who they would want to have a beer with. In an editorial in Newsweek, Sam Harris asks the question: Is elitism a bad thing in political leaders? Would you choose your doctor, mechanic, or plumber on the basis of which one you would rather have a beer with? If not, why would you want an ordinary idiot running the ship of state?

The problem, as far as our political process is concerned, is that half the electorate revels in Palin's lack of intellectual qualifications. When it comes to politics, there is a mad love of mediocrity in this country. "They think they're better than you!" is the refrain that (highly competent and cynical) Republican strategists have set loose among the crowd, and the crowd has grown drunk on it once again. "Sarah Palin is an ordinary person!" Yes, all too ordinary.

We have all now witnessed apparently sentient human beings, once provoked by a reporter's microphone, saying things like, "I'm voting for Sarah because she's a mom. She knows what it's like to be a mom." Such sentiments suggest an uncanny (and, one fears, especially American) detachment from the real problems of today. The next administration must immediately confront issues like nuclear proliferation, ongoing wars in Iraq and Afghanistan (and covert wars elsewhere), global climate change, a convulsing economy, Russian belligerence, the rise of China, emerging epidemics, Islamism on a hundred fronts, a defunct United Nations, the deterioration of American schools, failures of energy, infrastructure and Internet security … the list is long, and Sarah Palin does not seem competent even to rank these items in order of importance, much less address any one of them..................................................................

What is so unnerving about the candidacy of Sarah Palin is the degree to which she represents—and her supporters celebrate—the joyful marriage of confidence and ignorance. Watching her deny to Gibson that she had ever harbored the slightest doubt about her readiness to take command of the world's only superpower, one got the feeling that Palin would gladly assume any responsibility on earth:

"Governor Palin, are you ready at this moment to perform surgery on this child's brain?"

"Of course, Charlie. I have several boys of my own, and I'm an avid hunter."

"But governor, this is neurosurgery, and you have no training as a surgeon of any kind."

"That's just the point, Charlie. The American people want change in how we make medical decisions in this country. And when faced with a challenge, you cannot blink."

The prospects of a Palin administration are far more frightening, in fact, than those of a Palin Institute for Pediatric Neurosurgery. Ask yourself: how has "elitism" become a bad word in American politics? There is simply no other walk of life in which extraordinary talent and rigorous training are denigrated. We want elite pilots to fly our planes, elite troops to undertake our most critical missions, elite athletes to represent us in competition and elite scientists to devote the most productive years of their lives to curing our diseases. And yet, when it comes time to vest people with even greater responsibilities, we consider it a virtue to shun any and all standards of excellence. When it comes to choosing the people whose thoughts and actions will decide the fates of millions, then we suddenly want someone just like us, someone fit to have a beer with, someone down-to-earth—in fact, almost anyone, provided that he or she doesn't seem too intelligent or well educated.

I believe that with the nomination of Sarah Palin for the vice presidency, the silliness of our politics has finally put our nation at risk. The world is growing more complex—and dangerous—with each passing hour, and our position within it growing more precarious. Should she become president, Palin seems capable of enacting policies so detached from the common interests of humanity, and from empirical reality, as to unite the entire world against us. When asked why she is qualified to shoulder more responsibility than any person has held in human history, Palin cites her refusal to hesitate. "You can't blink," she told Gibson repeatedly, as though this were a primordial truth of wise governance. Let us hope that a President Palin would blink, again and again, while more thoughtful people decide the fate of civilization.

Unlike most people, myself included, you appear to have actually put some thought into your views.