Comment by Elizabeth May

The comment of May, that compared the Conservative climate policies to appeasement of the Nazis by then, British PM Chamberlain. The Cons went off on this comment and "court jester" Baird couldn't help himself but to do show Canadians how good he was in acting. May never said Harper was a Nazis, she said compared their climate policies. BTW, how did the press find out about this when, if I'm not mistaken, she said it in church this past Sunday?? did someone alert the Jewish community??? Yes, London Ont. is know as conservative city.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The comment of May, that compared the Conservative climate policies to appeasement of the Nazis by then, British PM Chamberlain. The Cons went off on this comment and "court jester" Baird couldn't help himself but to do show Canadians how good he was in acting. May never said Harper was a Nazis, she said compared their climate policies. BTW, how did the press find out about this when, if I'm not mistaken, she said it in church this past Sunday?? did someone alert the Jewish community??? Yes, London Ont. is know as conservative city.
If you believe that GHG represent a serious threat to life on this planet, then May's comment makes perfect sense.

If you believe on the other hand that Kyoto is a Leftist crock (Y2Kyoto), then May's comment is outrageous.

(On the Right, there is similar hyperbole about the menace of Islamism.)

----

Modern politicians must find their way through these minefields. IMV, many Canadian voters understand instinctively May's comment.

Harper does too because he replaced Ambrose with Baird.

Modern politicians must find their way through these minefields. IMV, many Canadian voters understand instinctively May's comment.

Baird used the comment to paste the Liberals, not the Greens. I don't think it is working because the Tories are now behind the Liberals in the polls.

"Preaching in London about the threat of climate change, Green party Leader Elizabeth May brought herself to tears yesterday, not for children who will inherit the Earth, but for the God she believes created it.

It wasn't the first time May has mixed politics and faith -- she says she speaks often at churches.

But her voice broke and her eyes filled with tears as she delivered a moving sermon at Wesley-Knox United Church in Wortley Village.

"We have a moral obligation to our Lord and Father to ensure we don't destroy the creation that was given to us," she said."

http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/News/Local/200...141314-sun.html

I've watched the first few minutes of The Great Global Warming Swindle, link provided by BuffyCat.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=449...warming+swindle

I must say, the first few minutes of this documentary had already pinpointed accurately to an existing obvious fact.

The vicious aggressiveness of Suzuki and Gore and May in attacking the green plan of the government....and now, with May delivering the Green Gospel on a pulpit (complete with theatrical tears).....only shows that it's true: this scam had gone beyond politics.

It's now taken on a "Moral" stand.

And these environmentalists, as demonstrated by Suzuki....use INTIMIDATION, and censorship.....as tools to further their agenda.

What is amazing is how these people.....Suzuki, May and Gore....are actively involved in our politics, to the point of hijacking the House of Commons debate when other pressing issues should be addressed.

Who are these people to be given so much importance? Their words taken as absolute facts!

It is equally worrisome when we see the leaders of the three opposition parties taking the counsel of these three so seriously........these leaders appearing as puppets, with no minds of their own.

These three are the pied piper....and the party leaders are spellbound followers!

For those of you who hadn't seen the Great Global Warming Swindle.......you owe it to yourself, and to the rest of the world (including your own children and grandchildren)....to at least, know the other side of the argument.

Tis true, it's the future generation who'll be greatly affected by our decisions now....whatever they may be.

Btw, wasn't there another Green MP who made outrageous racist comment in BC? This was pointed out yesterday by a journalist.

This on-stage mime of May.....only seem to suggest....there could be more to her than meets the eye.

Did Dion jump hastily into bed with a.....tooner?

This must be Fatal Attraction 2.

Lol.

May is a whack job, and her party seems to be rapidly filling up with leftist flakes like her. Canadians won't buy a leader who whimpers and sobs about climate change while accusing those who aren't willing to sacrifice the economy of being akin to Nazi appeasers.

She uses wildly inflamatory language about the conservatives because their green plan isn't as good as she wants, yet she appears smiling on stage making a deal with Stephan Dion and the Liberals despite their 13 years of inaction and despite the fact Dion actually opposed any action on emissions when he was in cabinet. How anyone can take this shrill harpy seriously is beyond me.

Canadian politicians are following the public on this issue. If the politicians are not careful, they may find themselves at the end of the parade.

However, two public figures in Britain have used a similar analogy on the climate issue.

Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett said last week that climate change should be thought of as "climate security" and compared the pre-Second World War actions of Winston Churchill with those of Chamberlain, who history sees as having been a Nazi appeaser.

"It was a time when Churchill, perceiving the dangers that lay ahead, struggled to mobilize the political will and industrial energy of the British Empire to meet those dangers," she said. "He did so often in the face of strong opposition and not always with success."

On Tuesday, Prince Charles made the point in a speech to a business conference that "I do not want my children and grandchildren, or anyone for that matter, saying to me, 'Why didn't you do something when it was possible to make a difference and when you knew what was happening?'"

CTV

I don't think the Tories really understand what to do. They are being blind-sided and we're all watching it happen.

Wednesday AM, on CBC, May said she was repeating what a British politician views on what Canada was doing as far as the Koyto program.

So....she's just "repeating" the trashy views of a British politician about her own country. And repeating it with outmost relish. Never mind if it offends certain sectors of the public.

For someone who entered politics, and supposedly the leader of a political party....and the star side-kick of the Liberal Party...I can only ask in dismay: Is she stupid?

She just blabs whatever comes to "mind"? Without weighing the consequences?

Dion said May should withdraw the comment. I wonder if he regrets his agreement now.

Oh you should've seen how they played this on MDuffy yesterday. Everybody's referring to Elizabethe May as "the candidate of the Liberal Party" in McKay's riding. Boy, were they all really rubbing it in.

And Jane Taber was saying Dion must do more to distance himself from May. She also pointed out that Dion had not really known what May stands for. In other words, Dion showing his true "leadership" skills....had made a serious decision...without really analyzing or knowing much about this woman.

I guess a lot of people don't really take May seriously.....she's like a caricature of an airhead actually.

But it says a lot about Dion.

Wednesday AM, on CBC, May said she was repeating what a British politician views on what Canada was doing as far as the Koyto program.

This is a classic case of back pedalling if I ever saw one, and a pathetic excuse to boot. She's hoping like crazy this will blow over without her having to withdraw the comment, which would have her lose even more face.

This, coupled with the recent incident in Vancouver with a Green party candidate whose sympathy with 9/11 theories came to light, make the Green party substantially less of an option for the middle in Canada.

She may not have called Harper a Nazi but she most definitely called whoever she thinks Harper is appeasing Nazis. Does that make anyone who receives a benefit from government that she doesn't agree with a Nazi in her eyes? Not very bright, Ms May.

The comment of May, that compared the Conservative climate policies to appeasement of the Nazis by then, British PM Chamberlain. The Cons went off on this comment and "court jester" Baird couldn't help himself but to do show Canadians how good he was in acting. May never said Harper was a Nazis, she said compared their climate policies. ...

WHAT? A minister in the Harper government falsely misrepresented someone's comment to score political points? That's just so totally ... um, expected and within their filthy established pattern.

If she wasn't calling someone a Nazi, why was she using the word as a comparison? She obviously doesn't know the forum rules. The first to use "Hitler" or "Nazi" loses. She should know that rule applies to a large degree in the court of public opinion.

expected and within their filthy established pattern.

While I am not intending to report this (if I did, I'd be prohibited from mentioning it), I will point out to you that this comment violates the forum rules (q.v.). I'd suggest you use the 'edit' function to amend it.

If you believe on the other hand that Kyoto is a Leftist crock (Y2Kyoto), then May's comment is outrageous.

(On the Right, there is similar hyperbole about the menace of Islamism.)

Yes, and the fundamentalist Christian right uses both the Neville Chamberlain quote and the Nazis analogy quite often, when speaking about ALL other people other than their rarified selves. Plus in a much worse way.

Any people from that camp, requesting May to recall her words, are hyprocrits of the worst order. But of course they instinctually know that.

IMV, many Canadian voters understand instinctively May's comment.
I think you are absolutely correct, and more than instinctually, they undetsand it cognitively. Perhaps they do not like having the shoe on the other foot either, eh?
Of course he does, he is a fundamentalist, and apparently I have read elsewhere, the CPC use Nazis and this kinda Nazis talk quite frequently in the HOC.

Perhaps be back later with some examples.

Of course he does, he is a fundamentalist, and apparently I have read elsewhere, the CPC use Nazis and this kinda Nazis talk quite frequently in the HOC.

Perhaps be back later with some examples.

Exactly what does his being a 'fundamentalist' have to do with his position on the environment, I have also read elsewhere that the Liberals have used that term (Nazi) to score political points. I guess the 'progressive' smear machine is in action.

So much hyperbole on the issue of Harper's religion - kinda gets you right here that they care so much about his religion more than anything else. Are Christians really overtly trying to dismantle our governments - enquiring minds would like to know LOL

May needs control her excesses of rhetoric including the belittling and demonizing of Evangelical Christians, characterizing their theology as "waiting for the end of time in glee," kinda sounds like some on here and in other places.

By comparing today's approach to the environment to pre-war approaches to the Nazis, Elizabeth May shows insensitivity to context and history. Her comparison of Stephen Harper to Neville Chamberlain is both demagogic and inappropriate, revealing that the Green party leader is still too green to have learned to control her excesses of rhetoric. Further, her belittling of Evangelical Christians, characterizing their theology as "waiting for the end of time in glee," signals a truly dangerous mindset. The Green party leader, who is also an Anglican minister-in-training, demonstrated that she considers herself and her religion to be morally superior to another. And it doesn't matter that she ridiculed the beliefs of a branch of her own religion, rather than those of an altogether different faith.

No Sunni Muslim in Canada should have to tolerate a Shiite politician denigrating Sunnism, no Orthodox Jew should have to tolerate a Reform Jewish politician's assertion of religious superiority, and all the vice versas one can think of.

Ms. May is not giving private lectures to her congregation now that she is running as Green party leader in alliance with the Liberals. She is being heard by a diverse public at large on an important policy issue. She should start respecting all of them.

Ed Morgan, national president, Canadian Jewish Congress, Toronto.

May is finished. That was a really stupid thing to say. She was annoying in her former incarnation as well. IMO as soon as she was declared leader of the Greens they lost me completely.

That said, the conservatives can stop whining about it now - the point was made. Suck it up and do some real governing. Silly distraction, rise above it and all that.

If they can.