Canada Federal Carbon Dioxide CO2 Tax

16 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

I think the point is that we can’t ask poorer countries like China to tighten up if countries like Canada won’t.  Basically what the carbon tax does is put a price on pollution, so that it’s in your financial interest to reduce your footprint.

China isn’t a poor country.  It’s the 2nd soon to be the largest economy in the world with the highest GDP.

C02 isn’t pollution.

11 hours ago, bcsapper said:

Actually the point is, if you don't, then you won't stand a chance of stopping climate change.  And you won't, so you don't.  Climate change doesn't play fair. 

It's not going to wait until every country is a first world country.

Cutting isn’t a solution.  Technology is.  And as far as I know, climate change is still a one degree increase of the earths temperature by something like 2070.  It’s just not a global life threatening problem.  Sorry.  The earths been warmer in the past many times.  For instance the medieval warming period.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shady said:

Cutting isn’t a solution.  Technology is.  And as far as I know, climate change is still a one degree increase of the earths temperature by something like 2070.  It’s just not a global life threatening problem.  Sorry.  The earths been warmer in the past many times.  For instance the medieval warming period.

What was the population in the past, and did they like each other much?  Like I said earlier, it's not a binary situation. 

20 hours ago, Robert Greene said:

We keep running around in circles, debating token gestures to reduce climate change. The most efficient way to save the planet, would be through depopulation. As long as the population continues to grow, will have to make tremendous sacrifices in the name of sustainability. At what point does these economic penalties reduce freedom? I don't want the children of the future being told what the eat, and how to live, just because they have a large footprint.

Bigger isn't always better. It's not the side of the national GDP that matters. It's the GDP per capita. We can have fewer people with more wealth, or more people with less wealth.

You hit the nail bang on, right on the head. It is countries like India and China that have huge population that run into the billions that is contributing to this climate change that everybody is talking about and getting all upset over here in Canada. Just look at the highways and byways in China and India and the many vehicles that they have on their roads. It is utter chaos there on their roads. It is not Canadians that needs to do it's share anymore about climate change because we have done enough already and Canadians have been paying plenty money and tax dollars in the meantime. It is those two countries and other developing ones that need to get on board. As I said already, paying more carbon taxes is just plain theft of Canadians money and nothing more. It is the governments that have us all running around in circles. Those threats of cow farts adding to climate change was funny to hear but also quite silly to hear. 

I would prefer to live in a country that has fewer people. Why do our politicians keep bringing in hundreds of thousands of new immigrants every year who they must know will only be adding more heat to the environment and to climate change. There is something wrong with this picture of this so called climate change. 

14 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

What do you want me to say, give up because we’re fucked?

Maybe no one has given another thought as to why there is some global warming going on.  The elite ones want us to believe that people are creating all the problems when in fact it could be mother earth herself that is causing global warming and it may not have nothing at all to do with people causing global warming. Nature does not always stand still.

At one time half of North America was covered in hundreds of feet of deep snow and the earth survived along with the people who were around at the time. What caused that massive build up of ice? So, now the earth is supposed to be warming up and is melting the ice in the Arctic for some unknown reason that we will probably never know why. Some places on earth will see more floods while other places on earth will go dry. These changes have been going on for hundreds of centuries. We all adapt to it. So, people need to learn that the earth does not stand still. It likes to change the climate furniture around now and then. The only people that are f'n with you are the politicians and their elite masters and bull chitters like Gore and Suzuki. 

So, tonight I will go to bed and not loose any sleep over climate change because there is not a dam thing that I can do about it, and neither can you. If people are so concerned and uptight about climate change then they should get their asses over to China and India and get on their politicians arses. Good luck on that one, fella. :D

22 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

I think the point is that we can’t ask poorer countries like China to tighten up if countries like Canada won’t.  Basically what the carbon tax does is put a price on pollution, so that it’s in your financial interest to reduce your footprint.  Of course the reality is, and guys like DoFo know this, that we are carbon footprints and we already pay a lot for that footprint. The smartest governments are the ones that take good economic policies and label them climate initiatives.  Building rapid, frequent, convenient transit options is one such policy.  It adds economic capacity and productivity and lowers emissions.  Trudeau hasn’t created a climate change plan with a clear economic benefit.  Ford hasn’t branded his spending on mass transit as a climate change policy, which it is.  

I think that you need to stop worrying about climate change and start worrying about the wasting of your hard earned tax dollars that are being blown by your useless politicians and their foolish nonsense global warming talk. There are plenty of other issues that I can give you that you really should be concerned about and want to talk about that is going on in Canada today. Just saying. 

6 hours ago, taxme said:

I think that you need to stop worrying about climate change and start worrying about the wasting of your hard earned tax dollars that are being blown by your useless politicians and their foolish nonsense global warming talk. There are plenty of other issues that I can give you that you really should be concerned about and want to talk about that is going on in Canada today. Just saying. 

There's plenty of environmental issues getting ignored, because virtue signalers have their heads wrapped around carbon dioxide all day. Maybe we should condemn the Chinese for funding poaching in Africa, or do something about our aging nuclear reactors. Carbon doesn't scare me, but this does. I packed my freezer and stayed inside for 3 weeks after the explosion. It didn't want to breath in any plutonium particles, so I waited until the dust settled. It took me 5 years since I had any fish from the Pacific. I still won't eat food from Japan.

Edited by Robert Greene

On 4/20/2019 at 5:54 PM, bcsapper said:

Actually the point is, if you don't, then you won't stand a chance of stopping climate change.  And you won't, so you don't.  Climate change doesn't play fair. 

It's not going to wait until every country is a first world country.

Why does no one realize that climate is always changing? No Tax can change that. The CO2 Tax will increase our cost of living. 

4 minutes ago, egghead said:

Why does no one realize that climate is always changing? No Tax can change that. The CO2 Tax will increase our cost of living.  

Why should we pay for a carbon tax, just because slutty idiots keep on having 4 or 5 kids? I shouldn't have to pay for other peoples procreation.

Edited by Robert Greene

6 minutes ago, egghead said:

They do,  Everyone does.  And no-one actually thinks a tax will help.  Not even Justin.  He's just playing to his base.

18 minutes ago, Robert Greene said:

Yeah but if we all agree to depopulate, then maybe we can stop worrying about carbon taxes. Prove me wrong.

Maybe.  I don't know what agree to depopulate means.

29 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Maybe.  I don't know what agree to depopulate means.

It means India and China need to knock it off, because they are breeding like rabbits. How do we send them the message? Maybe it's time not to mind our business, and being the suckers having to pay for a carbon tax.

Edited by Robert Greene

22 minutes ago, Robert Greene said:

It means India and China need to knock it off, because they are breeding like rabbits. How do we send them the message? Maybe it's time not to mind our business, and being the suckers having to pay for a carbon tax.

C'mon, you are the mayor of wrongville. China had "One-child policy" since 80's, and they were fine before lefists let China into WTO. CO2 has little to do with population, and it has a lot to do with industrial revolution.

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

They do,  Everyone does.  And no-one actually thinks a tax will help.  Not even Justin.  He's just playing to his base.

You just defy logic :P

Just now, egghead said:

C'mon, you are the mayor of wrongville. China had "One-child policy" since 80's, and they were fine before lefists let China into WTO. CO2 has little to do with population, and it has a lot to do with industrial revolution.

You just defy logic :P

That's the dumbest thing I've heard from you. The more people on the planet, the more demand for resources and industry that increase C02. Efficiency will always be offset by population growth. 

We can either punish people for consumption, or do something about the population. I rather people stop having having 4 or 5 kids.

3 minutes ago, Robert Greene said:

That's the dumbest thing I've heard from you. The more people on the planet, the more demand for resources and industry that increase C02. Efficiency will always be offset by population growth. 

We can either punish people for consumption, or do something about the population. I rather people stop having having 4 or 5 kids.

First of all, you make an assumption that all people are equal.

Are you telling me that those kids 

african-kids.jpg

will have more co2 footprint than those kids?

six-kids-running-outdoors.jpg

6 minutes ago, egghead said:

First of all, you make an assumption that all people are equal.

Are you telling me that those kids 

african-kids.jpg

will have more co2 footprint than those kids?

six-kids-running-outdoors.jpg

I'm telling you that, if given the chance, those kids would try and join the middle class.

The only way to provide a high quality of life to every citizen on the planet, is to reduce the population.

If we fail to reduce the population, will either destroy the planet, or start rationing resources.

We can't provide a good lifestyle to every citizen, without desecrating the planet.

So we can blame the rich kids for not wanting to be poor, or we can lower the population so the poor people can have a chance to industrialize.

I have a four year university degree in Environmental resource management. I know what I'm talking about.

David Suzuki wants the white kids to be poor like Africans. I want the Africans to become rich like us.

The only way for capitalism and the environment to be compatible, is through ethical depopulation.

Edited by Robert Greene

4 minutes ago, Robert Greene said:

I'm telling you that, if given the chance, those kids would try and join the middle class.

The only way to provide a high quality of life to every citizen on the planet, is to reduce the population.

If we fail to reduce the population, will either destroy the planet, or start rationing resources.

We can't provide a good lifestyle to every citizen, without desecrating the planet.

So we can blame the rich kids for not wanting to be poor, or we can lower the population so the poor people can have a chance to industrialize.

I have a four year university degree in Environmental resource management. I know what I'm talking about.

Too bad, you have a management undergraduate degree; may be you should take a research undergraduate program next time. If you do little research on population structure, you will find that middle class parents in western world trend to have less kid. You do not need to lower the population by rule.Unless you are AOC's friends, it is a different story. :rolleyes:

Just now, egghead said:

Too bad, you have a management undergraduate degree; may be you should take a research undergraduate program next time. If you do little research on population structure, you will find that middle class parents in western world trend to have less kid. You do not need to lower the population by rule.Unless you are AOC's friends, it is a different story. :rolleyes:

I'm a hardcore conservative, and she's a hardcore liberal. Whatever you say.

9 hours ago, Robert Greene said:

I'm a hardcore conservative, and she's a hardcore liberal. Whatever you say.

sorry for not making myself clear :rolleyes:. I was saying you were unable to distinguish between correlation and cause and effect, and we should let "nature takes its course"