BORAT

Has anyone seen this yet?

From what I understand this (phony) Immigrant from Khazakstan walks around uttering and acting out hugely terrible things (such as anti semitic remarks and other horrible social faux pas).

Also I think most of the other people in the movie are real people who are unaware its a stunt.

Basically most of the people stumble all over themselves to "appreciate his cultural differences" despite the terrible things he says and does.

Sound like a country you know and stand on guard for thee????

Apparently if you think our "tolerant" society has gone too far you'll find this movie to be hilarious (ie. you'll "get it"). If your a lefty PC tolerance foot soldier - you probably won't even understand it.

Anyway - I can't wait to check it out and I think for anyone who likes to discuss issues of the day - this will be a good discussion topic.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sasha Baron Cohen is a jew. The movie is a parody. The character he plays is an anti-semite to be laughed at. These are all indisputable facts that I can't believe you just don't get. You're even thicker than I thought.

We all know he's a jew - I'm not sure how that's relevant.

We all know he plays an anti semite - and part of the schtick is the unbelievable tolerance to his anti-semitism - something that rings completely true in today's world.

Think about it.

You need to look past the basic "Entertainment Tonight" stuff your MSM feeds you.

C'mon. Crissy - think...I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT ;)

We all know he plays an anti semite - and part of the schtick is the unbelievable tolerance to his anti-semitism - something that rings completely true in today's world.

You think it's a statement that people are too tolerant of anti-semitism?

Again you're over simplifying.

But certainly people are tolerant of antisemitism and this movie apparently reveals that, among other things.

I raced to the theatre after work on Wednesday to see this film, other than having to sit in the front row (packed theatre) and getting whiplash from trying to read the subtitles fast enough, I loved it. There were some pure slapstick(?) moments like the naked fight, but most of the movie is "Borat" giving poeple some "rope" and them "hanging" themselves. I can't believe how he manages to stay in character, especially during the rodeo anthem scene.

I laughed a lot, and cringed a lot too. One especially funny, but disturbing scene was the Pentecostal church service, I'd never seen what goes on at one of these churches before, and it freaked me out a bit. I guess if you grow up in the church it seems much more normal.

All in all I give it two thumbs up, hooray for satire!!

But certainly people are tolerant of antisemitism and this movie apparently reveals that, among other things.

If you were capable of clearly making your point, I wouldn't have to over-simplify. But you're just confusing the issue more. Is this film a statement that people are too tolerant of racism or a statement, as you originally seemed to state, that people are too politically correct and too tolerant of other cultures?

If you were capable of clearly making your point, I wouldn't have to over-simplify. But you're just confusing the issue more. Is this film a statement that people are too tolerant of racism or a statement, as you originally seemed to state, that people are too politically correct and too tolerant of other cultures?

You seem to think racists and "other cultures" are mutual exclusive terms. ;)

Got it now?

I think there are three types of scenario in the film.

The first is the indirect scenario, where "Borat" interacts with others on screen, and presents them with difficult social situations to showcase their reactions.

The second is the direct scenario, where "Borat" addresses the theatre audience directly, and the interesting reaction takes place in the theatre.

The third is slapstick, some scenarios are just there for the humour.

Most of the scenes don't fit the strict guidelines above, and can be a mixture.

P.S. Many interesting reactions can also be observed inside oneself during the film, if one is given to introspection.

Perhaps her confusion stems from her inability to see that "racists" and "other cultures" are not mutually exclusive.

Didn't she explain to you he's pretending to be a racist from another culture? Once again, rather than owning up to the fact you don't know what you're talking about, you try to confuse the issue. But the confusion only really works on yourself.

From what I heard, this guy who plays Borat is really a Jew in real life. He comes from England.

There is a law suit launched on him according to the news because of this movie, and if I'm not mistaken it's because some people in the movie were allegedly unaware of his stunt.

From what I heard, this guy who plays Borat is really a Jew in real life. He comes from England.

There is a law suit launched on him according to the news because of this movie, and if I'm not mistaken it's because some people in the movie were allegedly unaware of his stunt.

Another character of his is Ali G. I think Cohen is brilliant.

Another character of his is Ali G. I think Cohen is brilliant.

I would like to see the movie.

Kazakstan said it has no intention of stopping the movie. That although the movie makes fun of Kazakstan, they're hoping the movie will give interest to tourists to visit the place.

Wouldn't it be something if in the end we find out it was the government of Kazakstan who brilliantly financed this movie to gain the attention of the world? :lol:

Jerry, maybe you should go see the movie before putting down other people. If you did, you might find that your opinions on the movie are not grounded in fact.

The movie isn't just about showing what our society will tolerate. There are some scenes where it shows people tolerating Borat's clearly outrageous behaviour. But there are many other scenes where Cohen uses Borat to show the prejudices that other people have. He uses Borat's anti-semitism to bring out those types of statements / slurs from other people. In a way the movie shows us that beneath that first layer of tolerance that everyone claims to have, is a layer of anti-semitism, racial bigotry and anti-homosexual beliefs.

I don't think it's showing that our tolerant society has gone too far, it's showing that for some people, tolerance is only a thin veil. As you say, part of his act is to show the tolerance towards his anti-semitism. What you seem to be missing is that, more often than not, that tolerance is coming from people who agree with the anti-semitism and go on to show their own racial (and other) prejudices.

As for statements like this:

I haven't seen it - but from what I understand you are completely mistaken and revealing your lefty ignorance of the ...er..."nuance" :lol:

The only person revealing their ignorance is the one who thinks it's rational to claim "I haven't seen the movie, but based on the movie I think you are wrong."

I don't know if it's 'tolerance' or mere 'politeness' that people are showing.

After all, people generally put up with Borat whether he's casually making an anti-Semitic comment, or talking about some sexual matter that's totally inappropriate.

I think the film's success is due to the fact that it destroys all boundries of social convention. Fascinating to watch, but not as funny as I thought it would be.