Budget 2024: A majority of Canadians think the Trudeau government is spending ‘too much,’ poll finds

https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/budget-2024-a-majority-of-canadians-think-the-trudeau-government-is-spending-too-much-poll/article_8fdecfe8-f804-11ee-99b1-2370ed160582.html

Long story short - 60 percent of Canadians or more think spending should be cut, that the deficits are too large and the debt is way too high.  (also - the star reporter doesn't know the difference between debt and deficit and keeps mixing them up :) )

This was justin's last real trick for trying to win favour.  He does a double whammy of trying to smear his opponent and promise spending to special interest groups etc.

With a comfortable majority of people seriously concerned about his spending, that's going to be off the table. He can't even promise to reduce spending moving forward.

After the last trudeau got in  "balance the budget" became a necessary plank in every party's election platform for 30 years, because a generation learned what happens when you let that get out of control. I think we're probably going to see that kind of sentiment again after justin.

If "a majority of Canadians think Trudeau is spending too much", they do not realize all the spending and promises are after the next election.

Stupid question and poll.

Edited by ExFlyer

14 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

If "a majority of Canadians think Trudeau is spending too much", they do not realize all the spending and promises are after the next election.

Stupid question and poll.

No, sorry - i forgot you need this stuff explained in crayon.

They think the gov't is spending too much right now. They are concerned that the CURRENT spending is too high, and believe that cuts to the CURRENT spending, not the promised spending, is justified. They are worried about the CURRENT debt. Not future debt.

So it has nothing to do with future promises or the like. It's a great poll and a great question.  Probably one justin should have been asking before he created his latest budget

But what that tells us is that considering trudeau's budget is almost certainly going to include massive spending increases based on his announcements his new budget probably won't win him a lot of votes.  It may actually cost him votes.

It will also depend of course on where he gets the money from. If it's just borrowing that's going to upset a lot of people, if it's new taxes i doubt that'll go over well - is he going to make cuts somewhere? I doubt it - but we'll see.

Just now, herbie said:

And a majority will oppose cutting spending on anything that affects them.

well that's the funny thing - most of the liberal spending doesn't affect the average person. At least not positively.

In fact a lot of it hasn't affect anybody at all execpt negatively - we spent hundreds of milions on arrive can - who's life was better after that? We spend tonnes on things like the MMW's inquiry - achieved nothing. THeir lives are no different.

Some people will miss things like the cbc but those people weren't voting cpc anyway and as the liberals have taught canada - you don't have to listen to people who you don't like.  :)

The carbon tax benefits no one. The pharmacare thing is a joke, nobody can find these supposed daycare spaces.

And a lot of it is gov't service people that were hired and currently really don't do anything.

Doesn't sound like it's going to be a problem.

There's stuff we need to spend on, and stuff we need to spend more on.  But there's a ton of other stuff i'd much rather they allocate to those other more important things (defence, healthcare etc) or just give me back the money I'm spending on it that they took from my income taxes, HST etc.

My income vs my net take-home pay is ridiculous and it makes me really annoyed.

5 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

There's stuff we need to spend on, and stuff we need to spend more on.  But there's a ton of other stuff i'd much rather they allocate to those other more important things (defence, healthcare etc) or just give me back the money I'm spending on it that they took from my income taxes, HST etc.

My income vs my net take-home pay is ridiculous and it makes me really annoyed.

Well i think that's where a lot of people are at. There's lots of fat to be cut.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

I do not know about Canada but in the US... it would blow most people's mind if they knew the finer points of the budgets/expenditures. 

There's a fair bit of transparency for spending here actually. And we have the freedom of information act so for a few bucks anyone can file a request for more details on a specific expenditure item and by law they have to provide it, tho they can be dinks about it.  Reporters use that a lot.I'm not actually familiar with the level of detail in us budgets.

Edited by CdnFox

2 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

As in PP's ass??? LOL

Whoop Whoop, here it comes LOL

Oh look - he's back to fantasizing about people's asses again.

Honestly - next you'll claim you just read this forum for the articles :)

6 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

There's a fair bit of transparency for spending here actually. And we have the freedom of information act so for a few bucks anyone can file a request for more details on a specific expenditure item and by law they have to provide it, tho they can be dinks about it.  Reporters use that a lot.

I'm not actually familiar with the level of detail in us budgets.

Digging through federal and state govt budgets is not for the faint of heart. You may see a line item but then you explore a bit more and it gets very murky very quickly. Most do not have the stamina to wade through it. 

Edited by impartialobserver

A majority of Canadians think the Trudeau government is spending ‘too much,’ poll finds

Meanwhile...

When Canadians were polled on the prospect of a wealth tax on the one per cent back in 2021, it garnered almost 90 per cent support nationwide, including 82 per cent from Conservative voters.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2024/02/22/opinion/canada-needs-wealth-tax#:~:text=When Canadians were polled on,per cent from Conservative voters.

In a very real way these polls indicate Canadians might agree that the government is not collecting enough taxes to meet society's needs. I wonder if PP would have the courage to pose such a question in the context of income disparity in the face of our national debt?

Maybe PP could make it easier to swallow a wealth tax on the 1% by promising to cut funding for things the other 99% need.  How could any self-respecting Conservative voter ever say no to that? That said when people are actually faced with the piteous situation the 1% find themselves in it could be too much for even moderate Conservatives to accept anything less than tax-cuts for everyone...and especially the 1%.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, eyeball said:

A majority of Canadians think the Trudeau government is spending ‘too much,’ poll finds

Meanwhile...

When Canadians were polled on the prospect of a wealth tax on the one per cent back in 2021, it garnered almost 90 per cent support nationwide, including 82 per cent from Conservative voters.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2024/02/22/opinion/canada-needs-wealth-tax#:~:text=When Canadians were polled on,per cent from Conservative voters.

In a very real way these polls indicate Canadians might agree that the government is not collecting enough taxes to meet society's needs. I wonder if PP would have the courage to pose such a question in the context of income disparity in the face of our national debt?

Maybe PP could make it easier to swallow a wealth tax on the 1% by promising to cut funding for things the other 99% need.  How could any self-respecting Conservative voter ever say no to that? That said when people are actually faced with the piteous situation the 1% find themselves in it could be too much for even moderate Conservatives to accept anything less than tax-cuts for everyone...and especially the 1%.

So - that article not only doesn't link to the poll they're referring to (which is now three years old apperently) - they don't even give the polling company.

There are not many polls  that i miss.  The ONLY poll i remember about a wealth tax was abacus in 2020.  And they didn't propose a tax on the 1 percent - they proposed a 1 percent extra tax on the wealth of anyone who had more than 20 million in assets. Which is a lot less than the 'one percent' in canada.

Oh - and it specifically was only to pay for the costs of covid, which were a concern in 2020. The question specifically mentioned that.

And it was more of a thought exercise.  Of course if that happened people would wind up sheltering assets in corporations to aovid it, it was just to see how people thought

Bottom line is that TODAY the public is worried about spiralling debt and deficits and feels spending should be cut.  And i suspect that in PP they'll get what they're asking for

Edited by CdnFox

2 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

There are not many polls  that i miss.  The ONLY poll i remember about a wealth tax was abacus in 2020. 

Maybe you just fainted in disbelief when doing your homework. You might want to sit down before clicking this wealth-tax polling

In any case it looks like someone in Ottawa still has their heads screwed on right.

By Voting Against a Wealth Tax, Canada’s Politicians Have Shown Who They Really Work For

BY

CHRISTO AIVALIS

The vast majority of Canadians support a wealth tax, but 90 percent of the country’s MPs recently voted against a proposal to establish one. When push comes to shove, Canadian politicians are just as much in thrall to the rich as their US counterparts.

https://jacobin.com/2020/12/canada-new-democratic-party-tax-the-rich

• Like 1

Just now, eyeball said:

Maybe you just fainted in disbelief when doing your homework. You might want to sit down before clicking this wealth-tax polling

Why? It's a google search that doesn't even focus on canada.  Why would that make me sit down? There's not even a Canadian one that i can see quickly scanning the list. 

I mean...  i suppose you're stupidity is a little blinding but i'm used to it by now :) 

You DID remember we were talking about Canada right?

So basically you couldn't find one - just as i said.  Well there you go.

In any case it looks like someone in Ottawa still has their heads screwed on right.

LOL - certainly has his head screwed UP right :) 

2 hours ago, herbie said:

And a majority will oppose cutting spending on anything that affects them.

Cut it all in the first couple years and most Canadians won't even remember come the next election...

2 hours ago, herbie said:

Are you effing kidding? Pull your head out of your Torified arse.

Name some liberal spending programs that effect most or all Canadians....?

16 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Why? It's a google search that doesn't even focus on canada.

You do your homework then. And if you're saying the polls indicate people are against a tax on wealth perhaps you could direct me to one.

I've looked and I couldn't find any at all.

Just now, eyeball said:

You do your homework then.

I did.  I named the poll that came up in my homework :) Which is more than your article did 

Is there another one you found? No? Well there you go,

I've looked and I couldn't find any at all.

Then you admit i was right.

There's just the abacus 2020 wealth tax poll and it's quesiton was specific to covid - "to pay for the pandemic", which was a huge concern in 2020.   Might be different  a  bit now that they've seen what woke politics can do and there's no pandemic scare :) 

So your article either got the date wrong or it's referencing a poll neither of us can find.

image.thumb.jpeg.e0a551b0267aa421b86bdce3190e8250.jpeg