Special interlocutor 'waiting' for MP bill criminalizing residential school denialism (more speech policing)

CdnFox

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/special-interlocutor-waiting-for-mp-bill-criminalizing-residential-school-denialism-1.6661615

Kimberly Murray called on lawmakers to consider "legal mechanisms" that could address the practice of denying or minimizing the abuses Indigenous children suffered at residential schools in her interim report released back in June. 

"Make it an offence to incite hate and promote hate against Indigenous people by … denying that residential (schools) happened or downplaying what happened in the institutions." 

In the meantime, Murray says she hopes to see NDP MP Leah Gazan bring forward her private member's bill seeking to criminalize such denialism, as the Parliamentarian has indicated that she will. Asked recently about its status, the Winnipeg representative said "there is something in the works."

Not the libs this time, but once again the left looks to cancel those who disagree by locking them up.

I don't think anyone out there ever has denied the school program happened.  But - they throw in that whole' minimize the impact' thing. IN other words - if you dare to say "i don't think first nations children today are impacted by the residential school system which closed a generation ago", then you should go to jail?  It's spreading hatred if you say "ok, but shouldn't we be over that by now?" or "when does that supposed 'generational' damage end? Are we saying first nations are now damaged forevermore by that?

I've never particularly agreed with jailing holocaust deniers either -  i think they're largely nuts but whatever.  But at least there's some sort of validity. But suggesting as they do in this article that the residential school system is the same as the holocaust...   ooops,  i guess i better stop there, don't want to go to jail.

• Like 1

What does 'downplaying' mean? Pointing out facts? Like as far as we know everyone who died, died of diseases that periodically swept through the entire population? Like those talking about how they were abused did so in an environment in which they were given tens of thousands of dollars to do so? No evidence required?

4 hours ago, I am Groot said:

What does 'downplaying' mean? Pointing out facts? Like as far as we know everyone who died, died of diseases that periodically swept through the entire population? Like those talking about how they were abused did so in an environment in which they were given tens of thousands of dollars to do so? No evidence required?

Well that's the biggest problem.  So if anyone suggests any part of it including the 'permanent harm to future generations' part which they mention specificaly is not as severe an impact as they suggest then you're spreading hatred and should go to jail.

I went to high school with a native who lived in Calgary with a family while attending school. Smart guy...nice guy...great hockey player. We became friends and one Christmas he went home to see his family.

He came back with a black eye and was visibly beaten. Turned out his own family beat him daily for going to get an education.

Who sympathizes for the native kids in this position? Not the fckin' Libbies, that's for sure. The Libbies...just like their racist American brothers the Democrats...prefer their natives out of site on reserves...or drunk in a corner of an alleyway asking passers by...

"Hey buddy...got a shmoke?"

3 hours ago, Nationalist said:

I went to high school with a native who lived in Calgary with a family while attending school. Smart guy...nice guy...great hockey player. We became friends and one Christmas he went home to see his family.

He came back with a black eye and was visibly beaten. Turned out his own family beat him daily for going to get an education.

Who sympathizes for the native kids in this position? Not the fckin' Libbies, that's for sure. The Libbies...just like their racist American brothers the Democrats...prefer their natives out of site on reserves...or drunk in a corner of an alleyway asking passers by...

"Hey buddy...got a shmoke?"

Funny enough i know of something similar, tho not so severe.  When i was growing up there was a first nations kid in my class who was a math genius. We all agreed, the kid was beyond gifted, had real potential to be something special.  He got pulled from the school by his parents because of prejudices about 'whitey' education.  Which was very weird to me because the local band had up to that point been actually pretty involved and supportive of the school and the chief had come and done lectures on first nations history and culture and even held a mock potlatch.

I think a new chief got in after he retired and was just racist towards whites and schools and the community changed and they pulled this kid who could have had a very promising future.

On 11/28/2023 at 9:47 AM, CdnFox said:

But suggesting as they do in this article that the residential school system is the same as the holocaust...   ooops,  i guess i better stop there, don't want to go to jail.

Says the guy who suggests the ME conflict is the same as Paul Bernardo's murder spree.  I better stop here lest I spray more coffee all over my screen.

13 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Says the guy who suggests the ME conflict is the same as Paul Bernardo's murder spree.  I better stop here lest I spray more coffee all over my screen.

Why do you have to take such a nonsensical approach to every thread? 

This Kimberly Murray is trying to criminalize the truth. Is that realistic?

"When you talk about res schools, you have to pretend that every single kid was raped hundreds of times, many of them were murdered, no one had any good intentions at all when they sent them there, and not a single one of them benefitted from it in any way! Anything else is a criminal offence!"

We just went through a year+ of pretending that some tree roots were 'a mass grave of children who were murdered in a genocide - there could be no other possible explanation for graves [from the Spanish flu/TB/smallpox era]', and I bet that Kimberly Murray doesn't think of that as a crime. 

Try to be on the common sense side of a thread for once in your life eyeball. Your drooling inbred SJW shtick is so tired. 

30 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I think it means to imply it's over and behind us - ancient history IOW.  I think its main thrust is driven by the resentment people have over paying taxes to settle these things.

Or maybe it's the resentment over being constantly accused of things without evidence, or seeing our common history, which is a touchstone to our past and to the pride people feel in their nation constantly derided and insulted - again mostly without facts and always without context. Maybe it's also the tens of billions being awarded by the progressive government and progressive courts to a group of people seen as lazy loafers who do no work and pay no taxes.

52 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Never said that once.  But of course you've got to lie to try to make  your point, you can't defend your point other wise

Dare i say we're only a few posts away from your regularly scheduled hissy fit when you realize you're completely wrong and can't defend it :) 

46 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I think it means to imply it's over and behind us

It's literally over and behind us.  The penalties have been assessed, the schools shut down, reparations paid - if you can find a priest sill alive that can be charged with a sex crime i'm all over that but the school thing is over and behind us.

She would like to lock me up in jail for sharing that opinion.

I think its main thrust is driven by the resentment people have over paying taxes to settle these things.

Ahh - so  if i say " i don't think we should give them any more money for residential school issues than we already have" - i should go to jail.

That seems pretty reasonable.

53 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

Why do you have to take such a nonsensical approach to every thread?

In case you didn't notice I was pointing out a nonsensical approach.

55 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

Try to be on the common sense side of a thread for once in your life eyeball. Your drooling inbred SJW shtick is so tired.

How about if you just fu ck off instead?

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

Funny enough i know of something similar, tho not so severe.  When i was growing up there was a first nations kid in my class who was a math genius. We all agreed, the kid was beyond gifted, had real potential to be something special.  He got pulled from the school by his parents because of prejudices about 'whitey' education.  Which was very weird to me because the local band had up to that point been actually pretty involved and supportive of the school and the chief had come and done lectures on first nations history and culture and even held a mock potlatch.

I think a new chief got in after he retired and was just racist towards whites and schools and the community changed and they pulled this kid who could have had a very promising future.

Its sad. We hear all sorts of stories about how these schools and the programs were full of one racist or another...and I'm sure some cases are quite true. But apologizing endlessly for the mistakes of a few, and completely ignoring the potential for enhanced racial relations is...counter productive.

and maybe that's the point?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

Or maybe it's the resentment over being constantly accused of things without evidence,

You take things way to personally.  It's not about you.

or seeing our common history, which is a touchstone to our past and to the pride people feel in their nation constantly derided and insulted

- again mostly without facts and always without context. Maybe it's also the tens of billions being awarded by the progressive government and progressive courts to a group of people seen as lazy loafers who do no work and pay no taxes.

On the whole I'd say progressive governments have proven to be as slack-assed and useless at settling First Nations issues as they have been at curbing climate change.  All they've really accomplished is to keep everyone pissed-off.

If it wasn't for the courts nothing would be getting done.

31 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Its sad. We hear all sorts of stories about how these schools and the programs were full of one racist or another...and I'm sure some cases are quite true. But apologizing endlessly for the mistakes of a few, and completely ignoring the potential for enhanced racial relations is...counter productive.

and maybe that's the point?

A whole industry has grown up around being a professional victim unfortunately. Those people will not want to give up their money

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eyeball said:

About the logic you were using to arrive at a conclusion, not the two conflicts.

This is a common leftie trick - if i say 'comparing gaza to bernardo is like comparing apples to oranges" then you say "so you're saying bernardo is the same as a fruit!?!?!! *angry pikachu face*

I never compared the two at all - i compared the logical thought process you applied to one and showed what it would look like if applied to another thing,

But thanks for admitting you lied to try to make a bad point again :) Hissy fit now? or later.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, herbie said:

Why do all the Free Speechers rants boil down to the mistaken idea they have the right to LIE in order to simply promote hatred and public disorder?

Why do all lefties lie about that being teh case :)

I know - the left would LOVE to be the only ones to determine what is truth and what isn't. 

Anything they don't like, no matter how factually accurate, is "lying simply to promote hatred'.  Also the person is a nazi.

Free speech is predicated on the idea that if YOU think it's a lie, you can make your own case and explain why.

But being the socailist totalitarians you are - you don't want to go through that work so everyone who disagrees is a liar and should be canceled.

This lady's concerns, which  i doubt you've even listened to, were perfectly factual and legit.  What did she say that you feel was a lie? Or was spreading hate? Or are you just full of shit as usual?