Drunk Driving

DUI_Offender

I made a terrible mistake a couple of months ago in Edmonton, Alberta. I was celebrating a job promotion on a Saturday night. I must have had 14-18 drinks the night before between 7 PM and 2 AM), and was pretty hungover the next morning. I made the foolish decision to grab something to eat to feel better, as I was exhibiting all the symptoms of a hangover (dehydration, feeling jittery, slight headache, etc.).

I went to a strip mall at noon, and when exiting, I accidentally side-swiped a vehicle when I was pulling out. Since it was over $2000 damage, the Police came, noticed I reeked of booze (since I crashed at a friends place, and had yet to shower), and detained me.

I blew a 0.11 BAC, and was given a 90 day suspension, with eligibility for the Interlock Ignition device in one month. It was a stupid mistake as I should not have been driving until I had sobered up more. On the bright side, I have not touched a drink since, and celebrated my 2 months of sobriety. I never want to find myself in this predicament again.

Having said that, now I have to bite the bullet, and find an affordable insurance company for high-risk drivers. Would anyone have any advice as to what insurance provider I should try? I assume I will be looking at $600-800/month or more in insurance for the next year. I am not exactly sure when rates start to fall, but it looks like I will be working long hours for the next couple of years lol.

The moral of the story is don't drive hungover! I am a 200 pound man, and had not had anything to drink in over 8 hours, and still blew over. It's not worth it.

How-to-Expunge-a-DUI-in-New-York.jpg

Edited by DUI_Offender

On 11/15/2023 at 5:42 PM, DUI_Offender said:

I am not exactly sure when rates start to fall, but it looks like I will be working long hours for the next couple of years lol.

It will stay in your MVR (Motor Vehicle Report) for 10 years although certain insurance companies only consider these records for 6 years maximum. But they're rare. The rates won't fall any time before that unfortunately for you. You're not going to be eligible to any standard insurance for many years. You'll have to go to a substandard market, and I would suggest you to get quotes from multiple independent brokers, do not even bother calling standard insurance companies, you'll waste your time and the brokers/Licensed insurance agents time.

If you're not very wealthy, maybe your best option in your case will be to keep a 1 way insurance with a used car driven mainly by demographics who have less accidents, and also to suspend coverages for many months of the year to save as much as possible. Even better would be that the car would be registered in someone else's name such as your spouse or a family member living with you, having you as a secondary driver.

Thank God that there were only material damages by the way.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2023 at 5:42 PM, DUI_Offender said:

The moral of the story is don't drive hungover!

I know a criminal lawyer who made a good living (and has a beautiful wife): Most of his cases were intoxicated DUI morning, 8 am stops.

He retired to the south of Spain. True story.

Edited by August1991
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2023 at 2:21 PM, QuebecOverCanada said:

It will stay in your MVR (Motor Vehicle Report) for 10 years although certain insurance companies only consider these records for 6 years maximum.

Ten years, pshaw. Don't expect any forgiveness. With these over-the-top punitive measures he may end up doing what I'm sure a lot of them do. 

Screw the insurance. Just get in the car, shut up and drive.

49 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Ten years, pshaw. Don't expect any forgiveness. With these over-the-top punitive measures he may end up doing what I'm sure a lot of them do. 

Screw the insurance. Just get in the car, shut up and drive.

It's 10 in Ontario.  I believe it only affects your car insurance in Alberta for 3 years.

" While driver's licence demerits only stay on your licence for two years, minor and major convictions stay on your record for three years. Three years plus one day past your conviction date, your insurance premiums will no longer be impacted. Criminal code convictions will remain on your insurance record for four full years"

source:  https://www.armourinsurance.ca/blog/how-tickets-in-alberta-impact-your-insurance-prices#:~:text=Three years plus one day,will no longer be impacted.

14 hours ago, DUI_Offender said:

It's 10 in Ontario.  I believe it only affects your car insurance in Alberta for 3 years.

" While driver's licence demerits only stay on your licence for two years, minor and major convictions stay on your record for three years. Three years plus one day past your conviction date, your insurance premiums will no longer be impacted. Criminal code convictions will remain on your insurance record for four full years"

source:  https://www.armourinsurance.ca/blog/how-tickets-in-alberta-impact-your-insurance-prices#:~:text=Three years plus one day,will no longer be impacted.

They will get you by asking you 'Have you ever had a license suspension in the last 10 years?'.

4 hours ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

They will get you by asking you 'Have you ever had a license suspension in the last 10 years?'.

It must be different in Ontario, since there is actually an auto insurers chart that lists the increase of premiums. It's 250% for a DUI, however that ends 3 years and a day after the offense, so it will drop back to prior levels, even with a suspension as it's a mandatory 90-day suspension regardless.  Another thing to consider, is Alberta passed laws mainly decriminalising drunk driving, which means it's an issue with the Highways and Traffic division.

I received a "administrative penalty."  Even though it's pretty much the same penalties as a DUI, it does not go on a criminal record, and in Alberta, does not affect insurance premiums as long as Ontario.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DUI_Offender said:

It must be different in Ontario, since there is actually an auto insurers chart that lists the increase of premiums. It's 250% for a DUI, however that ends 3 years and a day after the offense, so it will drop back to prior levels, even with a suspension as it's a mandatory 90-day suspension regardless.  Another thing to consider, is Alberta passed laws mainly decriminalising drunk driving, which means it's an issue with the Highways and Traffic division.

I received a "administrative penalty."  Even though it's pretty much the same penalties as a DUI, it does not go on a criminal record, and in Alberta, does not affect insurance premiums as long as Ontario.

Good to know then when I'll be drinking and driving in Alberta, thanks.

(of course take that to the second degree...)