Office of the Prime Minister

I doubt changing Prime Ministers would help either. Inflation always follows a plague and the war just makes it worse. They are global in scope and there isn’t much Canada can do.  The best strategy for Mr. Poilievre is to stay in opposition as long as possible and let the grits take the blame. That is taking a leaf out of MacKenzie King’s book. 
If the election comes too early, PP will have to explain why he can’t solve it. 

On 7/26/2023 at 1:30 PM, CdnFox said:

Factions are one thing but that is not the same as being split  Or having dedicate armed camps as in the case of the chretienites vs martinites

A little division on policy or the like is fairly healthy, and yes it exists in all parties. But that is not the same as a 'fracture'.  the cpc for example isn't "fractured' between red and blue.  There's different opinions and such but at the end of the day they still work well together

But the libs have suffered from serious fractures and power struggles not based on different opinions but on different loyalties. And that's a little different.

The Tories have already fractured, again, and have a Trumpy rump to their right threatening to nibble at support if PP gets too reasonable. 

The Liberals do have debates on policy. JT would be to the left of many in the party on fiscal issues. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

5 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

I doubt changing Prime Ministers would help either. Inflation always follows a plague and the war just makes it worse.

Justin's policies account for about 2 - 3 percent of the inflation spike - and are what is keeping the interest rates high.

Getting rid of him would very likely resolve that - stabilize inflation and get interest rates under control

5 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

If the election comes too early, PP will have to explain why he can’t solve it. 

He can solve it. So could trudeau. That's the issue.

Inflation is already dropping to the levels that the BoC is after. It wasn’t a surprise. It happened in the 1350’s, and the 1920’s. 
Due to the Covid pandemic, the governments, federal and provincial, had to spend a lot of money in a very short period of time. It was more important to save lives then and worry about inflation later. 
A Poilievre government would have done the same.

Edited by Queenmandy85

On 7/27/2023 at 7:15 PM, Queenmandy85 said:

I

nflation is already dropping to the levels that the BoC is after. It wasn’t a surprise. It happened in the 1350’s, and the 1920’s. 

It was a HUGE surprise to the banks and the gov't - well into 2021 they were insisting there WOULD BE NO inflation.  Then when it started it was going to be transitory, remember that?  This came as an utter shock to them!

I do agree that anyone with a brain wasn't surprised but man, if you said that back then the liberals pounced all over you about how you didn't know what you were talking about.

But - in fact INFLATION is NOT going back in the slightest.  The inflation rate... which is the amount inflation will CONTINUE TO RISE...  is getting closer to the bank's targeted rate but the inflation itself is probably there to stay. 

And wages haven't kept up. Which means canadians all took a pay cut thanks to justin.

And to top it off - they traded inflation rates for interest rates. So the fact that inflation is going down only as interest rates go up is of zero comfort

Due to the Covid pandemic, the governments, federal and provincial, had to spend a lot of money in a very short period of time. It was more important to save lives then and worry about inflation later. 

The vast majority of our new debt - the VAST majority of it -  was not spent on covid relief.

So sorry - can't blame covid.  For sure it is responsible for a small hunk of the increase.  But justin was responsible for a larger hunk thanks to his money and fiscal policy as well as the carbon tax.

We coudl have avoided much of the pain.

46 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

For decades, one relentless trend in our country has been the gathering of power in the hands of the PMO. Parliament and the Cabinet are becoming a sideshow. 

Every gov't everywhere is like that, It is a natural tendency for gov'ts to continue to grab more and more power over time. we see it with the president in the states, with our federal gov't in canada, there's issues with it in france and britian,  and i guess we don't need to discuss Germany :) 

Going back to Rome this is a problem - gov'ts realize at some point that it would be easier to do their jobs if they could just control everything.  So they look for ways to do that,

9 hours ago, CdnFox said:

It was a HUGE surprise to the banks and the gov't - well into 2021 they were insisting there WOULD BE NO inflation.  Then when it started it was going to be transitory, remember that?  This came as an utter shock to them!

I do agree that anyone with a brain wasn't surprised but man, if you said that back then the liberals pounced all over you about how you didn't know what you were talking about.

But - in fact INFLATION is NOT going back in the slightest.  The inflation rate... which is the amount inflation will CONTINUE TO RISE...  is getting closer to the bank's targeted rate but the inflation itself is probably there to stay. 

And wages haven't kept up. Which means canadians all took a pay cut thanks to justin.

And to top it off - they traded inflation rates for interest rates. So the fact that inflation is going down only as interest rates go up is of zero comfort

The vast majority of our new debt - the VAST majority of it -  was not spent on covid relief.

So sorry - can't blame covid.  For sure it is responsible for a small hunk of the increase.  But justin was responsible for a larger hunk thanks to his money and fiscal policy as well as the carbon tax.

We coudl have avoided much of the pain.

Inflation rates are transitory. If things stay on the present course, the rate will get below three percent in a year or two.

Interest rates have been far too low for years. How do you expect to get any return on your investments when the rate is 2 percent.

1 hour ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Inflation rates are transitory.

Ahhhh no.  Not in this case and the BoC has already admitted it was very wrong in that regard.  Excessive Inflation has been very sticky - going on for years now. Virtually every economist out there agrees that calling them 'transitory' was wrong.

Which strongly suggests you're being dishonest in your debate.  You don't care about the truth, you care about defending the liberals whom you consider to be "your" team.

Interest rates have been far too low for years

That is an !diotic and baseless statement.  Why? What makes them 'too low".  What's the actual 'correct number' they "should" be at?

Once again - not an ounce of thought or reason, just "must defend trudeau".

How do you expect to get any return on your investments when the rate is 2 percent.

You invest in business and the economy. That's what makes it grow,

If everyone put their cash in savings accounts we would go deeply into recession very quickly.  Our economy and society grows when people put their investments into new homes, starting and upgrading businesses, paying down their debt etc. People need a little in savings against a rainy day but their real investments should NOT be bank interest.

THAT is what keeps canada strong. The fact you think that the only way to 'invest' is to put money in the bank or a gic or the like, and worse think that's what we should be encouraging, shows you don't have the knowledge needed to be part of this discussion.

You don’t remember the inflation and interest rates of the late 1970’s. Canada savings bonds paid thirteen percent. I was working for a major bank writing mortgages at 14% IIRC. Before that, I worked for a finance company charging 24%. Marc LaLonde knocked inflation down with his “six and five” policy and when I got on with my department it was at the end of the contract. We got a 13% increase and after that, it was about 5% over 3 years. 
The problem is, people are borrowing too much. Consumer debt is a major contributor to inflation. 
Are you too young to remember what actual excessive inflation is?

You say investing in businesses is better than investing in GIC’s. What do you think the bank does with that money?

Finally, you should never think of your house as an investment. Read The Wealthy Barber. 

37 minutes ago, Contrarian said:

Are their fans like MAGA? blind followers, they just vote for him regardless if he has scandal after scandal. Same thing here, Liberals have scandal after scandal but are still over 25 %. Weird. 

Why is such a mystery given there's no way to monitor politicians for compliance?

We're just supposed to take the word of opposition politicians that the government they oppose is corrupt? Anyone can claim that.

1 minute ago, Contrarian said:

How do you monitor politicians as in Ancient Greece when the cyberwarfare is so complex, in 2023, that's like opening your house for foreigners to bug your house and listen to everything that is going on. 

I don't see how your solution is practical. 

Then why worry about it? Embrace the horror and hope your guy is more successful at avoiding accountability.

3 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

You don’t remember the inflation and interest rates of the late 1970’s. Canada savings bonds paid thirteen percent. I was working for a major bank writing mortgages at 14% IIRC. Before that, I worked for a finance company charging 24%. Marc LaLonde knocked inflation down with his “six and five” policy and when I got on with my department it was at the end of the contract. We got a 13% increase and after that, it was about 5% over 3 years. 

And? First off your memory is a little off - it was the beginning of the 80's that things got out of control, capping in abotu 1983 and the rate was a lot higher than 13 percent.

Second - MARK LALONDE ABSOLUTELY DID NOT fix inflation in the slightest.  At all.  It would be many years and a recession followed by stagnation before that was under control again. More than a decade .

And that was a result of the LAST trudeau's overspending. A decade of stagflation and recovery that only happened because the conservatives at the time brought in the gst and free trade.

Pretty selective memory there.

3 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

The problem is, people are borrowing too much. Consumer debt is a major contributor to inflation. 

Not exactly.  For example we've had high debt loads now for the last 20 years - but inflation wasn't a problem at all till 2021.

So no - it's not consumer debt.

Like the big man said, "inflation is always and everywhere a monetary problem".   We have the inflation we have today because trudeau decided to dump hundreds of billions of unearned dollars into the economy.  That means that suddenly money exists without the actual creation of goods or services to justify it.  ANd that ALWAYS ALWAYS means inflation.

Sure - he was going to have to do a little of that no matter what.  Covid dictated it.  But - above and beyond that his gst has added more than half a percent to the inflation rate (and actually it's a lot higher, that's just the amount the BoC admits to) and his policies add another 1.5 - 2 percent on top.  He grossly overspent without reason on covid AND SPENT EVEN MORE ON  NON COVID RELATED STUFF

And he's STILL got runaway budgets and massive overspending. While the bank is desperately trying to suck money out of the economy with high interest rates trudeau is pumping it back in just as fast.  It's like pushing the breaks and the gas at the same time.

You've been bullshitting your way throught this entre discussion.

You say investing in businesses is better than investing in GIC’s. What do you think the bank does with that money?

They don't buy GIC's :)

Finally, you should never think of your house as an investment. Read The Wealthy Barber. 

Ahhh yes - the 'financail expert' who told everyone that it was a bad idea to buy real estate :) ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

That book has been so discredited that it's not even funny .  I read it in the 90's and even then it was garbage.  If i'd followed that guy's advice my ner worth would be a tiny fraction of what it is.  The kind of person who reads that book is the kind who reads books about how to loose 10 lbs overnight with eating this simple food that the diet industry doesn't want you to know about.

Of course there are MANY ways to translate your own home into wealth without selling it (or downszing later), My mother rents out a portion of her house for enough to fund her retirement alone,  never mind her other income.  Good thing she didn't listen.

not to mention that anyone who bought their home even 5 years ago is still paying less for a mortgage at today's rates than they would for a similar rental in many markets and that difference is just going to keep going up.   I don't know that i coudl afford the rent on my place if i didn't own it.

I'd say that pretty much torpedoes your credibility completely.

But lets be fair - you've been bullshittting your way through this conversation from the beginning

We have the inflation we do brecause of Trudeau's policy.  ANd that increase is permanent. And jobs aren't keeping up, so we're facing stagflation. And 3 years later we're still not back at the bank's target.  THis is justin's fault.

10 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Why is such a mystery given there's no way to monitor politicians for compliance?

The gov't admitted to a crime, the ethics commissioner advised the crime was a crime, the police said it was a crime but they woulnd't charge because it was unclear if the pm was allowed to commit crimes.

And people still elected him again 2 times

You didn't even vote against him.

So more transparancy would do no good whatsoever

Cdnfox, you referred to JTrudeau’s GST. It was Mulroney’s GST. It took a lot of political will to bring that in. If you believe I am wrong then let me know where I have erred. 
Where you invest in a GIC, the bank lends that money out to businesses. If I invest in a business directly and it fails, I lose my money. With a GIC, my investment is safe. 

Edited by Queenmandy85

3 hours ago, Contrarian said:

what horror? You think even if you get this idea of yours to show everyone what is happening there, aside from the national security disaster that would bring, this way people will not follow blindly Liberals or Conservatives? Is this your theory?

It's the same theory a corner store owner uses when placing cameras so they can see the till. There's millions of cameras watching for corruption.

But...when it comes to our government, transparency is like the climate, everyone takes about it but...

So, I'm starting to buy into the idea that maybe corruption is good for us and that our country would suffer if didn't give politicians their due.

3 hours ago, CdnFox said:

The gov't admitted to a crime, the ethics commissioner advised the crime was a crime, the police said it was a crime but they woulnd't charge because it was unclear if the pm was allowed to commit crimes.

Despite Conservatives much vaunted Accountability Act...it defies belief really. 

That said I suspect Conservatives are actually breathing a sigh of relief knowing they'll be able to get around it too.

2 hours ago, eyeball said:

Despite Conservatives much vaunted Accountability Act...it defies belief really. 

So you think the accountability act was supposed to force voters to do the right thing? 

Sounds like you don't really understand any of this.   It's pretty simple - when the gov't gets found to be criminals or corrupt, you punish them by voting them out of power.  No amount of laws or accoutnability will fix ANYTHING unless that happens.

Unfortunately liberal voters such as yourself believe that when a liberal gov't gets found to be criminals or corrupt, you give 'em two more terms :) 

43 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Nope.

You clearly do - i mentioned voters didn't hold the libs accountable and you were absolutely shocked that this happened despite the accountability act. You must have thought that the act somehow forced voters to do the right thing.

But it doesn't.  ANd until liberal voters decide that it's important to  hold gov'ts accountable, MOAR transparency will do nothing.

4 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

You clearly do - i mentioned voters didn't hold the libs accountable and you were absolutely shocked that this happened despite the accountability act. You must have thought that the act somehow forced voters to do the right thing.

You can read the mind of the caricature of me that your mind created? That's a whole new level of irony.