Darwin Strikes Again....

On 9/4/2022 at 2:25 PM, WestCanMan said:

Some people in Colorado signed a contract which basically says "In exchange for the sum of $100, I agree not to use my $10,000 A/C unit when it gets too hot outside" ???

I laugh, but I've never read a EULA when I started using a App on my phone.... ?

1) How is that an example of Darwinism? 

2) Who's spending $10k for a residential AC unit? 

3) A cite would be helpful 

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/colorado-utility-company-locks-22000-thermostats-in-90-degree-weather-due-energy-emergency

4) Even if you have an old-school thermostat, the hydro provider can throttle your access to electricity. This was a Thermostat provided by the company. I doubt an Ecobee or a Google Nest would be able to be over-ridden similarly. 

7 hours ago, Boges said:

1) How is that an example of Darwinism? 

2) Who's spending $10k for a residential AC unit? 

3) A cite would be helpful 

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/colorado-utility-company-locks-22000-thermostats-in-90-degree-weather-due-energy-emergency

4) Even if you have an old-school thermostat, the hydro provider can throttle your access to electricity. This was a Thermostat provided by the company. I doubt an Ecobee or a Google Nest would be able to be over-ridden similarly. 

So stupid! Accepting $100!

In Texas, they do it the right way and just shut down everybody’s power at random. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah?  Check out the hilarity in California.  Every summer they have power grid issues and the resulting announcements and warnings that there isn’t enough power to go around.  Brown outs and the like.

So the left down there can’t rub these facts together and realize that buying electric cars is a really bad idea, and instead buy them in droves to put even more demands on the grid.

The resulting situation is so predictable that even Oregonians are laughing at them.  Californians are being warned to not charge their electric vehicles because of the power situation.  I kind of wish I was making this up.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/losangeles/news/flex-alert-extended-to-saturday-ev-owners-asked-to-not-charge-vehicles-during-peak-hours/

“Drivers might have to walk if they don't charge their vehicles strategically on the third day of an extended Flex Alert.”

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sharkman said:

Yeah?  Check out the hilarity in California.  Every summer they have power grid issues and the resulting announcements and warnings that there isn’t enough power to go around.  Brown outs and the like.

So the left down there can’t rub these facts together and realize that buying electric cars is a really bad idea, and instead buy them in droves to put even more demands on the grid.

The resulting situation is so predictable that even Oregonians are laughing at them.  Californians are being warned to not charge their electric vehicles because of the power situation.  I kind of wish I was making this up.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/losangeles/news/flex-alert-extended-to-saturday-ev-owners-asked-to-not-charge-vehicles-during-peak-hours/

“Drivers might have to walk if they don't charge their vehicles strategically on the third day of an extended Flex Alert.”

Electric cars get charged mostly at night, when there is a surplus of electric power available.  The brownouts occur during the day, when air conditioning units create a massive spike of electric use. 

Electric cars don’t put a strain on the electric grid.  

14 minutes ago, Rebound said:

Electric cars get charged mostly at night, when there is a surplus of electric power available.  The brownouts occur during the day, when air conditioning units create a massive spike of electric use. 

Electric cars don’t put a strain on the electric grid.  

That’s what the plan is supposed to be, apparently it isn’t working.  They are putting a strain on their the grid, and the California government is telling them not to charge their cars.

We have the technology to build more capacity in the electric power grid.  I think in California it’s probably illegal…

• Like 1

Just now, sharkman said:

That’s what the plan is supposed to be, apparently it isn’t working.  They are putting a strain on their the grid, and the California government is telling them not to charge their cars.

We have the technology to build more capacity in the electric power grid.  I think in California it’s probably illegal…

Electricity comes from a wall socket. Food comes from the grocery store.

Right?

?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sharkman said:

Well, in spite of being the fossil fuel king, Texas has power grid issues ALL YEAR cause their ideologue right wingers refuse to hook up to the national grid.

7 hours ago, robosmith said:

Well, in spite of being the fossil fuel king, Texas has power grid issues ALL YEAR cause their ideologue right wingers refuse to hook up to the national grid.

Ok, so is your point that there are normies in Texas too, because I’d be on board with that.

it doesn’t negate what’s going on in California, however.

5 hours ago, sharkman said:

Ok, so is your point that there are normies in Texas too, because I’d be on board with that.

it doesn’t negate what’s going on in California, however.

CA has had grid problems in the summer for decades. AKA, for as long as I've lived here.

Not much of a problem for me since I live near the coast. Inland is a bitch though.

2 hours ago, sharkman said:

Exactly.  Worst thing they could do is put new demands on their grid with the electric car. Like my link above said, Californians are being told not to charge their electric cars.  

That’s like saying, don’t go to work for a while, we’ll let you know…

If you have an electric car, you need a solar install, too, cause electricity is just too expensive from the power company.

No strain on the grid.

37 minutes ago, robosmith said:

If you have an electric car, you need a solar install, too, cause electricity is just too expensive from the power company.

No strain on the grid.

You are disconnected from reality.  Wake up. In California right now, they are telling people not to charge their electric cars because it’s putting a strain on the grid.  

• Like 1

On 9/15/2022 at 9:58 AM, sharkman said:

No, you are entirely incorrect.  
On September 7, 2022, PG&E asked customers not to charge electric cars during the peak use times of 4pm and 9pm.  One day. Five hours. 

And as I said, no big deal, most car owners can simply plug in after 9pm or use programmable charging, which is better for the car anyway, and start charging around 3am.

Heres the link, so you can see for yourself that’s the case.  Please don’t be a MAGA. We all make mistakes sometimes and it’s ok to make mistakes. No need to reply about Hillary or Hunter’s laptop. 

https://www.pge.com/en_US/about-pge/media-newsroom/news-details.page?pageID=0e1c6f7d-c15a-45c7-af3a-c1e6e04ef4c7&ts=1663350218936

Edited by Rebound

Okay, maybe the “flex alert” has been rescinded.  The point is, California tells electric car owners not to charge their cars at times during the summer, because it puts a strain on their grid.  Facts are stubborn things.  My link above, from CBS, is from September 2, not 7.  
Beleive whatever makes you happy.

Edited by sharkman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkman said:

You are disconnected from reality.  Wake up. In California right now, they are telling people not to charge their electric cars because it’s putting a strain on the grid.  

You do know that your solar panels put power into the grid, not take it out, don't you?

If not, it is you and your quote which is disconnected from reality.

I swear, if I was wrong as often as you, I would stop being so arrogant. But it seems MAGA never learns.

24 minutes ago, robosmith said:

You do know that your solar panels put power into the grid, not take it out, don't you?

If not, it is you and your quote which is disconnected from reality.

I swear, if I was wrong as often as you, I would stop being so arrogant. But it seems MAGA never learns.

I'm simply quoting.  What they.  Are telling.  The people in California to do.  Facts are stubborn things.  Solar panels might start to have a macro effect on the grid in a few years, but for now people are moving out of California in droves... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sharkman said:

I'm simply quoting.  What they.  Are telling.  The people in California to do.  Facts are stubborn things.  Solar panels might start to have a macro effect on the grid in a few years, but for now people are moving out of California in droves... 

If it's -40, does one plug-in one's electric car twice?

?

5 minutes ago, sharkman said:

They're talking about charging from the grid. Maybe you didn't notice, but I specifically said SOLAR.

People are taking HUGE PROFITS by SELLING their CA houses for a fortune.

11 minutes ago, robosmith said:

They're talking about charging from the grid. Maybe you didn't notice, but I specifically said SOLAR.

People are taking HUGE PROFITS by SELLING their CA houses for a fortune.

So people are installing solar panels in California to up the value of their homes making them better able to escape the place? Seems inefficient.