Who will stand up for Canada?

Rather than trying to find answers over the causes of death and identities of children buried at residential schools, most of whom likely died of the same illnesses and diseases that took the lives of many children and adults during a time without antibiotics or other modern medical treatments, radical voices are using residential schools as the reason to cancel Canada Day and erase the figures who founded this great country.

While Alberta Premier Jason Kenny bravely stood up in defence of Canada, his is a very lone voice.  Who will stand up for Canada and protect the workers who continue to fight to improve it?

https://apple.news/AnxmelO-ORM-FKGeLhmLxcg

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Rather than trying to find answers over the causes of death and identities of children buried at residential schools, most of whom likely died of the same illnesses and diseases that took the lives of many children and adults during a time without antibiotics or other modern medical treatments, radical voices are using residential schools as the reason to cancel Canada Day and erase the figures who founded this great country.

I don't find 1 July 1867 as being an institution worth defending

the day the British Empire refused to defend Canada from the Americans while demanding Canada defend the Empire still

I've never celebrated it to be honest

the story of my people is the founding of British North America, on 13 September 1759

5 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

While Alberta Premier Jason Kenny bravely stood up in defence of Canada, his is a very lone voice.  Who will stand up for Canada and protect the workers who continue to fight to improve it?

This whole narrative and discussion was formulated around the need to give Trudeau a chance to virtue signal like there's no tomorrow.

If this story didn't come up then the main story in the news would be the fact that we dissed Trump's travel ban as racist, followed the WHO blindly, defended them publicly, and they have now been exposed as nothing more than shills for Xi.

Honestly, I haven't been watching CTV or CBC lately, but I'm just guessing that this latest bit of information about C19 suddenly just doesn't matter to them.

Literally every other C19 topic under the sun was a chance to fear monger for covid some more, but possibly the biggest piece of covid-related news in the last 6 months is an afterthought. 

Again, that's just a guess, but it would almost be worth it to watch the news today just to see if they even mention it.

7 hours ago, Aristides said:

The British had a naval base at Halifax until 1905 and its Pacific Squadron was based at Esquimalt until 1911. There was no refusal to defend Canada, there were just no regular troops based in Canada after the Fenian Raids and Red River Rebellion.

a token defense isn't actually defending Canada from America

tripwire at best

Canada was not worth defending and couldn't be defended

even if they thought it was worth defending, which they didn't

India on the other hand, the British fought two world wars to prevent from being cut off from it

the difference in priority between a real defense of India and a token defense of Canada

says it all when it comes to how highly valued defending Canada was to the British after the American Civil War

Edited by Yzermandius19

5 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

tripwire at best

Canada was not worth defending and couldn't be defended

even if they thought it was worth defending, which they didn't

India on the other hand, the British fought two world wars to prevent from being cut off from it

the difference in priority between a real defense of India and a token defense of Canada

says it all when it comes to how highly valued defending Canada was to the British after the American Civil War

The forces that led to Confederation weren’t all external and in Britain.  There were many perceived benefits to the citizens of BNA and the local leaders who had worked towards full Confederation for decades.  

25 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

The forces that led to Confederation weren’t all external and in Britain.  There were many perceived benefits to the citizens of BNA and the local leaders who had worked towards full Confederation for decades.  

without the impetus from Britain not defending them anymore

and the Americans at the gates

there would have been no confederation

Canada only really confederated

to keep from becoming an American protectorate

and it failed miserably to do that

all of the perceived benefits

never came into fruition

Canada never built a military

that could prevent America from invading them

Canada never built an east-west trade alliance

that could keep America from dominating them economically either

the provinces in fact trade more north-south, than they do east-west

and have more barriers between each other than they do with America

the only time they were able to keep America at bay, even a little

was when Britain could afford to economically prop them up, prior to WWI

after that, Canada had to come cap in hand

to the very nation that drove them to confederate

to stave off having to bend the knee to America

so they could bend the knee to the Crown instead

but that didn't last for very long at all

Canada has to bribe Quebec to keep them from leaving

yet both would be better off without each other

Canada cannot keep America out

from a cultural or economic standpoint

and doing so would be undesirable anyway

Keeping the Indians down

is despicable on the face of it

F*ck Canada and the horse it rode in on

a useless shotgun marriage right from the very beginning

and getting worse as it goes

this toxic relationship that never served any good purpose

and actively undermines any benefits the union was suppose to provide

will inevitably end

it's just a matter of when

good riddance

Bye Canada

Edited by Yzermandius19
  • Like 1

I think it’s terrible that police didn’t protect the property at Ryerson University.  Allowing people to destroy property without permission or discussion with the owners of that property is a criminal act.  Ryerson did NOT found residential schools.  He was a key founder of public education.  Ryerson did important progressive work that all political parties supported, especially on the left.  He spoke Ojibwe and did much more good than bad.  He was a good man for his times who made Canada better for all. Slandering him and destroying his memory is neither honourable nor progressive.  It ranks in the same category as book burning.

“Ryerson spoke Ojibwe, he developed a close relationship with the Mississauga people outside of modern-day Toronto and even delivered the eulogy at the funeral of Peter Jones, a converted Ojibwe Methodist minister who had become one of Ryerson’s closest friends. And he was fervently against one of the most defining horrors of the Indian Residential School system: strict and ever-present corporal punishment.”

National Post

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

tripwire at best

not even a tripwire

the Americans had a million man army, the whole British Army worldwide was only 200,000

the American navy had surpassed the Royal Navy, the Americans had the latest warships, more of them

the British didn't stand a chance of projecting power into North America anymore

they simply were not capable of defending Canada, and they were not willing to risk a war over Canada

"Responsible Government" was just a euphemism

"sayonara, Canada, you are responsible for defending against the Americans now"

and thus the Canadian persona was formed, insecure about not being British anymore, in fear & loathing America

17 hours ago, Aristides said:

The British had a naval base at Halifax until 1905 and its Pacific Squadron was based at Esquimalt until 1911.

those bases were for the British Empire

that's how it worked, Canada provides for the British Empire, the British give nothing in return

those bases were for the British to control China & India, not to defend Canada from the Americans

2 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

nothing even happened on 1 July 1867

there was no great event, no battle, no drama, nothing

it was just the day the British announced that they weren't going to fight for Canada anymore, by sending a memo

whoop dee doo

Confederation was embraced within Canada.  I’m not sure the Brits liked seeing more colonies move to independence.  The British Empire was hard to sustain.  BNA could’ve joined the US.  Parts of the Maritimes supported that along with others like Toronto Mayor William Lyon Mackenzie who led the Upper Canada Rebellion.  

16 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

the Upper Canada Rebellion.  

any of these other events make a better Canada day than the ostensible "Canada Day"

1837 was when Canada got its democracy, handed down from London, to quell the rebellions

literally any other of these days are meaningful

22 June 1603

13 September 1759

10 February 1763

13 October 1812

12 April 1917

I am British, Canadian & British are the same thing

nothing of consequence in the history of the Britons really happened on 1 July 1867, it's fake news

as an Orangeman of Upper Canada, I celebrate Victoria Day, that's when have our fireworks

Victoria Queen & Empress, Mother Canada

"Canada Day" is the day when the Government of Canada celebrates itself

it's a big propaganda exercise for the Government of Canada

but I have no fealty to,  nor love for that government, I do not celebrate their corrupt & incompetent rule

12 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

any of these other events make a better Canada day than the ostensible "Canada Day"

1837 was when Canada got its democracy, handed down from London, to quell the rebellions

literally any other of these days are meaningful

22 June 1603

13 September 1759

10 February 1763

13 October 1812

12 April 1917

I am British, Canadian & British are the same thing

nothing of consequence in the history of the Britons really happened on 1 July 1867, it's fake news

I know that you see Canada through the lens of the Crown and its roots as a British colony, which are very significant.  I think that the dates that you cited are important, but I'd add the Statute of Westminster in 1931 and the Constitution Act of 1982, at least.

"[The Statute of Westminster] enacted recommendations from the Balfour Report of 1926, which had declared that Britain and its Dominions were constitutionally “equal in status.”  The Canadian Encyclopedia

The Clarity Act in 2000

The Constitution Act really did come from Canadian politicians.  It's really Pierre's baby.  I have to hand it to him, he was trying to do something big to distinguish and define Canada, love him or hate him.  We're still in PET's Canada.  His son doesn't get it at all and is destroying the legacy.  Pierre had no time for any one group tearing apart the country, whether separatist or Indigenous.  Chretien and Martin are from his school.  Harper seemed to be about restoring the Crown yet also recognizing Quebec's cultural significance as a nation.  Mulroney seemed very at home with the U.S., Harper too actually.  Justin talks a big game in Canada but doesn't know who he is or what he stands for: Catholic but not in practice, pro China when it suits him, weakly anti-China when it comes to protecting Canadian interests, junior partner to the U.S. administration.  Pierre was nobody's junior.

3 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I know that you see Canada through the lens of the Crown and its roots as a British colony, which are very significant.  I think that the dates that you cited are important, but I'd add the Statute of Westminster in 1931 and the Constitution Act of 1982, at least.

I don't salute Canada as being an other than British Americanized fake country, that's nothing to celebrate

I just cut straight to 4 July 1776, American Republic, no Canada required

really, 1 July is just Government of Canada Day

the Government of Canada's fake holiday to celebrate its fake country Post National State

and all the fake Americans gather to watch some canned Government of Canada approved entertainment

I'm perfectly happy for the Woke to cancel that, go right ahead, I wouldn't even notice

bear in mind, I already defended Canada, with my life & limb

and what did I get for that ?

stabbed in the back by the Ottawa criminals, while Canadians went along with it

that's why people won't defend Canada now, they've seen how Canada treats its soldiers

if you actually try to defend Canada, your own government will accuse you of "hate crimes" against the Woke

if you are want to defend this assemblage of cowards, cronies & sycophants,  more fool you

4 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

“Ryerson spoke Ojibwe, he developed a close relationship with the Mississauga people outside of modern-day Toronto and even delivered the eulogy at the funeral of Peter Jones, a converted Ojibwe Methodist minister who had become one of Ryerson’s closest friends. And he was fervently against one of the most defining horrors of the Indian Residential School system: strict and ever-present corporal punishment.”

You're bringing facts to a hysteria party.  The people who are most upset about the statue being felled, should be happy with the prospect of calming everybody down with a minor amount of effort.  At least you would think.  

But they didn't get to be in control by giving an inch, I suppose.

1 hour ago, Dougie93 said:

go ahead and fell a statue of Egerton Ryerson

it's no skin off my teeth, that's just American freedom in action, knock yourselves out

It’s not American freedom that felled the statue, wokester.  Ignorance, rage, and disrespect felled that statue.  The police need to do their jobs protecting property and the governments of Canada, Ontario, and Toronto need to defend the honour of the people who built this country, imperfect as they are.

It’s easy to destroy.  What great alternative do the wreckers offer?

7 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

It’s not American freedom that felled the statue, wokester.  Ignorance, rage, and disrespect felled that statue.  The police need to do their jobs protecting property and the governments of Canada, Ontario, and Toronto need to defend the honour of the people who built this country, imperfect as they are.

It’s easy to destroy.  What great alternative do the wreckers offer?

that's what Woke is all about, ignorance & rage

it's a product of the Information Age revolution, incited by the American internet

people are dislocated in this postmodern world

this leads to revanchism, Egerton Ryerson is the British Empire, like a Treaty of Versailles upon the necks of the Volk

Ryerson is just a proxy for the Crown, the ideology which is iconoclastic,  is the American freedom to overthrow it

15 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

that's what Woke is all about, ignorance & rage

it's a product of the Information Age revolution, incited by the American internet

people are dislocated in this postmodern world

this leads to revanchism, Egerton Ryerson is the British Empire, like a Treaty of Versailles upon the necks of the Volk

Ryerson is just a proxy for the Crown, the ideology which is iconoclastic,  is the American freedom to overthrow it

It’s also the freedom to respect those who worked hard to advance living standards for the greatest number of people.  As a key founder of public education, Egerton Ryerson was one of those people.  He didn’t found residential schools.  His push to educate all children was an important step in human development.

Just now, Zeitgeist said:

It’s also the freedom to respect those who worked hard to advance living standards for the greatest number of people.  As a key founder of public education, Egerton Ryerson was one of those people.  He didn’t found residential schools.  His push to educate all children was an important step in human development.

he was a White Supremacist British Imperialist who said women should only be educated to be housewives

if the kids ain't down with that anymore, it's not for me to tell them what to think

First Amendment to the threshold of Brandenburg v Ohio, American freedom in action