When they talk about de-funding or dismantling Law Enforcement

I've got my popcorn buttered and watching.  The best is yet to come.  The Looney Left Liberal Media depends upon commercial sponsors for most of their revenue, and a significant amount of that comes from...wait for it...COP SHOWS.   Yea, there's dozens of 'em and the boob tube is just playing them over and over all day every day.  Shit, they even want to ban Paw Patrol because there is a puppy cop character now in it.

In a typical classless and midless knee jerk reaction, Christia Freeland was on my television telling me that police need to be defunded.    I will invite her to live right next to a couple of reserves near North Battleford SK with all of her possessions and family and see how she likes it when 911 gets you a BLM feel good message instead of a cop.

9 hours ago, cannuck said:

I've got my popcorn buttered and watching.  The best is yet to come.  The Looney Left Liberal Media depends upon commercial sponsors for most of their revenue, and a significant amount of that comes from...wait for it...COP SHOWS.   Yea, there's dozens of 'em and the boob tube is just playing them over and over all day every day.  Shit, they even want to ban Paw Patrol because there is a puppy cop character now in it.

In a typical classless and midless knee jerk reaction, Christia Freeland was on my television telling me that police need to be defunded.    I will invite her to live right next to a couple of reserves near North Battleford SK with all of her possessions and family and see how she likes it when 911 gets you a BLM feel good message instead of a cop.

In some of the best TV shows this Century, the protagonists are actually the criminal. (Breaking Bad, the Wire, Sopranos) Just sayin'. 

True Detective is an outlier. 

Defunding has become a vague term. I suspect most people using it do not mean getting rid of the police. Reallocating some funds to other departments is one interpretation.There’s no question that police unions in the US have become belligerent monsters who terrify politicians. An exception is made for this particular union even by inveterate union-busters. It’s high time their wings were clipped. 

• Like 1

I'll post this here instead of in another BLM related thread. 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/05/defunding-the-police-us-what-does-it-mean

How much does America currently spend on police? 

In the past four decades, the cost of policing in the US has tripled and is now $115bn, according to a recent analysis. That steady increase comes as crime has been consistently declining. In most cities, spending on police is significantly greater than spending on services and other departments ($1.8bn on police in Los Angeles, for example, which is more than half the city’s general fund). The Covid-19 economic crisis has led cities and states to make drastic budget cuts to education, youth programs, arts and culture, parks, libraries, housing services and more. But police budgets have grown or gone largely untouched – until pressure from protests this week. 

If cities defund police, will violence and crime increase? 

Abolition groups argue that policing and prison are at their core racist and harmful and make communities less safe. They also point out that the vast majority of police work has nothing to do with responding to or preventing violence, and that police have a terrible track record of solving murders or handling rape and domestic violence.

When the officers took a break from “broken windows policing”, meaning targeting low-level offenses, there was a drop in crime. Researchers posited that aggressive policing on the streets for petty matters can ultimately cause social disruption and lead to more crime. Policing that punishes poverty, such as hefty traffic tickets and debts, can also create conditions where crime is more likely. When New York ended “stop and frisk”, crime did not rise.

Defund the police is bad marketing, but the ideas are solid. Police don't need to do a lot of the stuff that they do.

For example, why do we need armed officers giving out traffic tickets and directing traffic? 

Places with low crime don't have low crime because of the police, they have it because the socio-economic conditions make crime less appealing. Tackling that may be a better venue than spending billions equipping armed people looking for people to throw in jail. 

If you're throwing people in jail for low-level crime you're ruining that person's life an increasing the likelihood they'll continue with a life of crime. 

Edited by Boges

On 6/11/2020 at 11:49 PM, cannuck said:

If she said that I share your contempt.

23 hours ago, Boges said:

I'll post this here instead of in another BLM related thread. 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/05/defunding-the-police-us-what-does-it-mean

Defund the police is bad marketing, but the ideas are solid. Police don't need to do a lot of the stuff that they do.

For example, why do we need armed officers giving out traffic tickets and directing traffic? 

Places with low crime don't have low crime because of the police, they have it because the socio-economic conditions make crime less appealing. Tackling that may be a better venue than spending billions equipping armed people looking for people to throw in jail. 

If you're throwing people in jail for low-level crime you're ruining that person's life an increasing the likelihood they'll continue with a life of crime. 

With due respect delegating traffic functions will still require someone with a uniform and authority to enforce those laws, furthermore very few large cities require traffic police unless there is a power outage in which case police are used because of the strong likelihood of people getting angry in power outages. That is not what the defunding issue is about. It is about weapons and police tactics and an illogical belief that restricting police budgets will stop questionable police tactics. Ironically it started with the same people who loot and burn their neighbourhoods.

Have you spoken with high crime neighborhood residents? The last thing people in those neighbourhoods want are taking the police out of their neighbourhoods. Ask them. That is a recipe for turf war and gangs controlling the streets and selling drugs.

Most criminologists, sociologists and behaviouralists as well as urban planners agree and will tell you  that you lower crime in high crime neighbourhoods with a combination of police walking the streets and being given living incentives to live in these neighbourhoods,  better stree lighting and less dark space,  store cameras, building  parks and  recreational facilities, promoting strong community services for sports, arts, culture where police off duty can engage with youth and encouragement of strong stable family relationships and education. 

Much of that was never a police issue and is wrongfully displaced on police no different than we do with teachers. We expect them both to be multi-function social workers and blame them for all social issues.

With due respect defunding police is a trendy buzz word reaction to Floyd. It is the latest Me Too trend to jump on to appear like one cares.  It is a guilt reaction exercise.

Defund what?   I challengevpeople caught up in this latest buzz trend to give more thought to what people do to assure the freedoms we have.

If you think people don't need police you sure as hell need to give that a thought because those of you thinking you do not need them will and when you call 911, you may have defunded them from responding.

Oh I get.. defund them except if you need them...but tell me how that works...we want the police to be a little bit of police but not too much police..yah yah...we want to go on a diet...good luck on our list of restrictions.

Could any 9f us   last a day on restricted piolice use any more than Oprah can go a day without stuffing her face?

Regards 

A. Fatface

Edited by Rue

On 6/12/2020 at 5:59 AM, Boges said:

In some of the best TV shows this Century, the protagonists are actually the criminal. (Breaking Bad, the Wire, Sopranos) Just sayin'. 

True Detective is an outlier. 

Best?

Breaking Bad is for morons.

"My wife is dying and I need money so I'll make meth and ruin thousands of lives." Real compelling tv.

Even before any efforts to defund the police, several U.S. cities stopped enforcing laws because of competing political and social ideologies.   Defunding police will only accelerate the problems.

Here is an example that probably looks familiar to anyone living in or around Vancouver BC.

"Seattle is dying"....or more correctly, "Seattle is committing suicide".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpAi70WWBlw

10 hours ago, Argus said:

The kind of crap police are facing now. I can't breath! (screamed repeatedly at the top of her lungs)

So, they get stopped because they fear she is being assaulted. And because they resent being stopped by the police and don't want to deal with them, the police end up assaulting her. Very ironic. 

None of you know a police department's budget and how it allocates the funds its given . So how do you even begin to comment on what you do not want to pay for? Some of you think because you question police training and tactics it now magically gives you the right with no basis to start slashing budgets?

The word defunding is a reactionary word that arose as a result of anger over the Floyd incident. Now this board suddenly sees every interaction with an officer as a platform to accuse them all of brutality and better still slash budgets.

As for making sweeping generalizations about police unions, I pass. The need to say something negative whenever the word police is used, makes it difficult to discuss any issue with police.

Oh well no one is talking about covid. I give this a few weeks to die down and shrivel away like the Russian troll until he comes back with a new name. 

Edited by Rue

On 6/15/2020 at 1:15 PM, Boges said:

Seems like the education system could benefit from a few dollars moved over from the police budget.  How many teachers struggle just for basic supplies?

Dumping some money into healthcare will also be a good idea. Doctors struggling to get the basic supplies.

There was a video I watched yesterday where a couple in a Sams were detained by 3 police called in. After 10 minutes and both people detained in cuffs,  10 more police show up. Incredible. That's probably 1M in salaries.

Police reform is needed. It's used as a money making machine for the cities. More violations, means more revenue for a city. That incentivizes police to look for a problem where ever they are.

3 hours ago, Boges said:

So, they get stopped because they fear she is being assaulted. And because they resent being stopped by the police and don't want to deal with them, the police end up assaulting her. Very ironic. 

I've seen to many police vids that play out just like this. Cops and 'welfare' checks never go right. 

So schools are spending a lot of money on military grade stuff as well.

Can someone tell me why schools need these??

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2014/09/13/348242448/san-diego-school-district-s-new-15-ton-armored-vehicle-creates-stir

News that San Diego Unified School District has acquired an MRAP, or mine-resistant ambush protected vehicle, is adding a new facet to discussions about the practice of giving surplus military equipment to civilian agencies.

The six-wheel Caiman MRAP has an official value of around $733,000. But the San Diego school district paid only about $5,000 to transport it, according to inewsource.org, a website that partners with NPR member station KPBS.

Why do schools need these??

A day after the San Diego story came out, school board trustee Scott Barnett called the move a "misguided priority," saying the vehicle should be leased to police agencies. Barnett suggested the funds from a long-term lease could pay for new police cars. And he said the school board hadn't been notified about the acquisition.

So instead of getting rid of it,  leasing it to police to pay for new police cars?  How the F does that make any sense?

The day before Barnett addressed the issue, San Diego Unified School District Police Chief Ruben Littlejohn held a news conference to say the MRAP isn't a tank, which early reports had compared it to. He also said it's not a sign of new militarization in schools.

Well he is 100% wrong. This was in 2014.

Again from 2014.

https://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2020/06/not-from-the-onion-grenade-launchers-for-school-police.html

LATimes: Los Angeles Unified school police officials said Tuesday that the department will relinquish some of the military weaponry it acquired through a federal program that furnishes local law enforcement with surplus equipment. The move comes as education and civil rights groups have called on the U.S. Department of Defense to halt the practice for schools.

The Los Angeles School Police Department, which serves the nation’s second-largest school system, will return three grenade launchers but intends to keep 61 rifles and a Mine Resistant Ambush Protected armored vehicle it received through the program.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-schools-weapons-20140917-story.html

Wondering why you need mine resistant vehicles in Los Angeles.  That might scare kids more than make them feel safe.

4 hours ago, Iceni warrior said:

Not to mention innaccurate.

Obviously never watched a single episode if he thinks it was the wife who was dying.

It might have been someone else. I really don't care who it was.

The show is based on the premise that destroying the lives of hundreds of people was worth it to save one person in his family that was sick. 

You should watch Johnny Dangerously. It's a cheesy mafioso comedy about a guy who keeps on committing bigger and bigger crimes to make enough money to get his ma surgery for more and more expensive medical treatments. 

If you watch one 90 minute movie it spares you the need to watch dozens of hours of breaking bad. 

4 hours ago, Boges said:

You realize that the laws and directives written in the general rush to combat spousal abuse do not allow police any leeway in this, right? They need the names and to forward that information for further review. People are required to cooperate and provide ID. This was explained to them politely and repeatedly. Yet instead of providing it they're charged with assaulting and resisting police.

I might add that I read a lot about how black people are afraid of the police. I've never seen a video that shows the least fear of police, by blacks, not ever. Instead, all the videos I see seem to show the opposite - a complete lack of fear of the police. I've seen videos of dictatorships and how frightened people are when accosted by police. Not in the US or Canada. Not in the slightest. You don't give someone the finger if you're afraid they'll hurt you. You don't curse and swear at them and ignore their commands if you're afraid of them.

1 hour ago, New World Disorder said:

I've seen to many police vids that play out just like this. Cops and 'welfare' checks never go right. 

They go fine as long as people comply  with their legal directives and don't act like animals.

10 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Even before any efforts to defund the police, several U.S. cities stopped enforcing laws because of competing political and social ideologies.   Defunding police will only accelerate the problems.

It's really pathetic. Trying to decide which political party has the most dysfunctional morons in it would require full time work for King Soloman.

On 6/15/2020 at 1:15 PM, Boges said:

So you think we should return to corporal punishment, maybe? A nice caning, perhaps?

The idea that all you need to do to stop people from smashing things and stealing things is give them a nice, gentle talking-to is moronic. There was a video which viral the other day from New York of some thug pushing a 90 year old woman with a walker over as he passed her. He has been arrested over 100 times. I don't think a talking to would work. I think a nice blade across the neck would solve his problems much better.

By the way, I'm sure you won't appreciate the information, but it appears the cities with the lowest crime rates are generally the cities with the smallest minority populations.

Edited by Argus

6 minutes ago, Argus said:

It's really pathetic. Trying to decide which political party has the most dysfunctional morons in it would require full time work for King Soloman.

Both parties have had successes and failures with strong mayoral and police partnerships in the U.S....examples would include Daley in Chicago, Rizzo in Philadelphia, and more recently, Guliani in New York City.    Aggressive policing,  incarcerations, carding, etc. were supported decades ago.   Hell, Democrat Joe Biden wrote the 1994 Crime Bill that put 100,000 more police on the streets with more firepower.

Those models won't work anymore because of other pressures and priorities on top of pre-existing social and economic conditions.   Democrats are hell bent on keeping political power in urban zones, while Republicans have staked out the suburbs and flyover country.   Most of America's largest cities are now firmly under Democratic control, and they are not doing well.   Sanctuary cities have become the latest fad to undermine old fashioned law and order.

King Solomon never had to win elections.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Argus said:

They go fine as long as people comply  with their legal directives and don't act like animals.

I've seen videos of compliance but the police still throw the beat down or shot and kill.

Maybe if we had a few less 'animals' on the police force.

Violence is part of America's culture. Throughout all levels of the society.

Another murder by police.

Nope all on the up an up to throw jabs into the woman's side.