Warning to All MLW Members - Fear and the Cronavirus

Guest ProudConservative

The Canadian government should be able to tell us in a daily executive summary how many patients have been tested in the country so far. At the moment, only the federal number, 553, is provided on the front page of the official site with the caveat that this isn’t the total. That’s not good enough. More tests mean that the positive cases reflect a larger fraction of the total number infected in Canada, i.e. a more accurate description of the problem. I’d like to see us matching the British testing rate and have around 12,000 people tested already. From what I can see we are not near that figure. 

1 hour ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

The Canadian government should be able to tell us in a daily executive summary how many patients have been tested in the country so far. At the moment, only the federal number, 553, is provided on the front page of the official site with the caveat that this isn’t the total. That’s not good enough. More tests mean that the positive cases reflect a larger fraction of the total number infected in Canada, i.e. a more accurate description of the problem. I’d like to see us matching the British testing rate and have around 12,000 people tested already. From what I can see we are not near that figure. 

For what it's worth BC had tested over 2,000 a couple of days ago, while Ontario was nearing 1800 three days ago. But I don't think it really matters. The virus has been spreading undetected throughout the US for weeks now, with virtually no testing done there. In addition, the virus not only has a long incubation period but a lot of people who have it get few or almost no symptoms. They don't go to the doctor for that. They just carry on with their lives, infecting others. The last couple of positive tests we've had were people who traveled to the US and nowhere else.

When the US finally begins heavier testing I expect their reported numbers of infected to climb deep into the thousands and then the tens of thousands. Remember, people can't afford to take time off work. No work, no pay. They also can't afford to go to the doctor for a cough and sniffles. Even those with health care have a deductible to pay. I expect the virus to spread through the US as it has China. And for the same reason: vastly incompetent government that cares more about how it looks than whether people die, and a crappy health care system. From there it will spread worldwide. This virus is now beyond containment.

Edited by Argus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

If things reach Northern Italian levels, we don’t have much slack in the system to cope with the pressure on intensive care units and hospital staff. 

Phht. We don't have any slack in the system. Ontario has added 3 million more people in the last 20 years. It has a million more seniors. But it has added almost no new hospital beds over that time period. Hospitals are routinely 100% or more full. And one of the problems here in Eastern Ontario is all the Quebecers who come over here for treatment because THEIR system is even worse. Much worse, to listen to them.

Edited by Argus

45 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

There must be a fair chance that at least one of Trump, Biden or Sanders will end up with the bug this year. Trump is said to be a germaphobe but he was out shaking hands today. 

No impact on Canada's outbreak...none will be traveling there soon.

3 hours ago, Argus said:

Phht. We don't have any slack in the system. Ontario has added 3 million more people in the last 20 years. It has a million more seniors. But it has added almost no new hospital beds over that time period. Hospitals are routinely 100% or more full.

100% capacity appears commonly in hospital reports across the country but hospitals can adapt in a genuine crisis. 

12 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

100% capacity appears commonly in hospital reports across the country but hospitals can adapt in a genuine crisis. 

They already have...moving patients into hallways and meeting rooms, before the virus hit.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

On 3/5/2020 at 10:19 AM, Iceni warrior said:

It was called Spanish flu because Spain was the first country to talk about it openly in the media. There was a media blackout in the early stages in most countries and kept secret as a matter of national security.

How come we did not call this virus the Chinese virus? I think that I know why? Yup, that's the word alright! ;)

1 hour ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

There must be a fair chance that at least one of Trump, Biden or Sanders will end up with the bug this year. Trump is said to be a germaphobe but he was out shaking hands today. 

In true hilarious irony, Matt Goetz, the moron Republican congressman from Florida who wore a gas mask to congress to mock the idea anyone should fear the virus is now in self quarantine because he spent some time with a guy at a conservative convention who has tested positive.

Before he self-quarantined, though, he took a ride - on Air Force One - and then drove back from the airport with Trump in his limo...

You can't make this up. Well, you can, but it's more fun when it's true.

Edited by Argus

On 3/7/2020 at 3:43 PM, Iceni warrior said:

Were you just born yesterday by chance?  In reality nobody gives much of a dam about anybody. If the leftist liberals came for me tomorrow, you could careless, right, or would you come to my rescue? Just wondering. ;)

3 minutes ago, Argus said:

In true hilarious irony, Matt Goetz, the moron Republican congressman from Florida who wore a gas mask to congress to mock the idea anyone should fear the virus is now in self quarantine because he spent some time with a guy at a conservative convention who has tested positive.

Before he self-quarantined, though, he took a ride - on Air Force One - and then drove back from the airport with Trump in his limo...

You can't make this up. Well, you can, but it's more fun when it's true.

You always try to make up a lot of stupid things when it comes to Trump and the Republicans. Goetz probably wants to take time off from work. I am pretty sure that there are many people today who are using that excuse to get off of work for awhile. What boss is going to question his employees who say that they may have the virus but instead only have the flu. 

The leftist liberal pro democratic party like to make up fake news stories all the time about Trump and people like you will eat it all up and believe it. The last I heard from the fake and lying American media and the dumbocrats was that this is all Trump's fault. They will try to sell their garbage news to any dumbo out there who will believe their lies. The democrats do really know as to how to make things up. It's too bad that you have not learned that by now. And I am not making that up. ;)

29 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

Well, maybe if Canada would slow down or stop all immigration for awhile, maybe there would be no bed shortages. There is no doubt about it that many of these new immigrants that are being brought into Canada by the hundreds of thousands every year are now taking up space in our hospitals that host Canadians could and should be using instead. But I will bet that you probably still believe that immigration has been great for Canada, eh? The more new immigrants we keep bringing into Canada the more foreign viruses they will probably be bringing with them. Canada has had a number of new diseases and viruses that we never had before ever since Canada opened up it's doors to the rest of the world in massive numbers and the many diseases and viruses that these immigrants have to offer us. Canada probably is spending hundreds of millions on trying to eradicate these new diseases and viruses that we never had before. Aw well, like some say? Massive immigration will help Canada to become great. Chuckle-chuckle. 

9 minutes ago, taxme said:

Well, maybe if Canada would slow down or stop all immigration for awhile, maybe there would be no bed shortages. But I will bet that you probably still believe that immigration has been great for Canada, eh? 

As an immigrant myself, I’m rather biased on the question and shall recuse myself. 

I’m sure immigration has exacerbated bed shortages in many cities but there are other factors. In my province, for example, our main problem is an ageing population. 

15 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

As an immigrant myself, I’m rather biased on the question and shall recuse myself. 

I’m sure immigration has exacerbated bed shortages in many cities but there are other factors. In my province, for example, our main problem is an ageing population. 

As if Canada is also not taking in plenty of old age immigrants who will take up beds in hospitals if needed. No one over sixty should be allowed to immigrate to Canada and become a Canadian citizen. And that goes for family reunions. I believe  that after those old people are here for three years they are allowed to become Canadian citizen's. And they will be then taking up plenty of bed spots in our Canadian hospitals. With more immigration there will be a need for more hospitals. Common sense and logic should tell you that. Just saying. 

44 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

Not a phenomenon confined to Canada. 

Certainly not, but not very convenient right now.

Once again for emphasis....

"The number of acute care hospital beds in Ontario has stayed effectively the same for 20 years, at around 20,000 while the province's population has grown by three million people. Ontario now has fewer acute care hospital beds per capita than any other province: 1.4 beds for every 1,000 people. That's on par with Mexico, and half the number in the U.S. "

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-hospital-hallway-medicine-healthcare-beyond-capacity-1.5420434

7 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

Do u think this is really an issue. 

check it out here

7 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

8 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

The Saudis aren’t exactly helping on the economic front by flooding the oil market.

No and cheap oil doesn't help the environment as producers put economic pressure on regulators to cut the pricier corners that cut into investors profits.  Regulators will be facing similar pressure from political masters who are desperate to keep royalties flowing.

10 minutes ago, eyeball said:

No and cheap oil doesn't help the environment as producers put economic pressure on regulators to cut the pricier corners that cut into investors profits.  Regulators will be facing similar pressure from political masters who are desperate to keep royalties flowing.

When people start using less oil, demand will drop and thus prices at the tank will become cheaper.  People might be using gas vehicles for a long time as a result, though a smaller % on the road.