Pipeline protestors need to be jailed

Argus

It’s sad to see investment flee from places like Wet’suwet’en territory, but these communities are held hostage by an archaic self-governance model where a minority of unelected chiefs can ruin prospects for their own people, supported by a misinformed fringe of radical activists who won’t be as impacted by the lack of resource development as the people they claim to support.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, jacee said:

RCMP prepares to crack down on Wet'suwet'en Nation as bottom falls out of LNG market in Asia

Some analysts believe that high-cost fossil fuels from Canada will never be economically viable in a low-carbon world

We're not in a low carbon world. And the price of oil and gas will shoot up again once the Russians and Saudis come to an agreement, and once we have a handle on the virus.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Well Shady let's start with the fact that natural gas is mostly methane.

Are you with me so far?

When it is burned it burns much cleaner than other fossil fuels.  Worrying about leaks is fine.  We monitor closely and repair in a timely manner, as is required by the new regulations that started in January.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, jacee said:

Do you even grasp the contradiction in your comments? 

2 The AFN represents Canada's elected Band Councils, some of whom are the "FNs that support resource extraction"

Lol 

1 The vast majority of Canadians - 72% - believe that Canada should be "actively resolving the core issues with Indigenous peoples". 

Federal-politics-March-4-2020-VF-updated.pdf

Nowhere does it say what you claim.

Greta Thunberg is certainly right: The fossil fuel lobby's dirty tactics, outright lies and inability to provide links/evidence/proof of their claims are just a sign of increasing desperation, knowing they are losing. 

I fully support resolving Indigenous issues one of the most important being the riding Canada of the racist Indian Act that is fully supported by the AFN.  Giving individual community members an actual voice in decision making without fear of being shunned by corrupt bands and chiefs is of utmost importance. 

Teresa Spence wasn't and isn't the only chief who used Federal funding for her own gain - there are numerous examples of such fraudulent activity by certain chiefs. 

Get rid of the Indian Act.  Get rid of the AFN.  Give every single member of a reserve title to their land.  Support bands that understand resource extraction is the only way to improve life in their communities.

Greta who?  Sorry I don't bother to pay attention to children who preach but don't bother to stay in school so they might actually learn how to make our world a better place.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Well Shady let's start with the fact that natural gas is mostly methane.

Are you with me so far?

When it is burned it burns much cleaner than other fossil fuels.  Are up with me so far? :lol:

22 hours ago, jacee said:

It means resolve clean water issues, Aboriginal land claims, rights and title issues, duty of the Crown to consult and accommodate Aboriginal rights ...

BEFORE government inaction erupts into occupations and blockades, the only way Indigenous rights issues have ever gained national attention and brought about some short-lived government action. 

Clean water on reserves:  Build water treatment plants that plan for future increases in number of residents on reserves - then MAINTAIN them properly.

If you have a solution that will bring the bands currently involved in land boundary disputes with each other - Everyone would love to hear it because until they do find a compromise there is nothing you, I or any government can do to resolve that issue.

Rights and Titles:  Get rid of the Indian.  Disband the AFN and the INAC.  Give every reserve member title to his or her own land.

Duty to consult:  Already entrenched in case you missed that.

22 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Not true.  We spend 10’s of billions on health, education, services and infrastructure on reserves, and collect very little tax revenue in return.  That’s the fundamental fact that makes true self- determination impossible.  Most reserves aren’t self-sustaining, and they never will be without resource development, which is why Jacee’s brand of radical green activism is so detrimental to Indigenous.  

How very true, Zeitgeist.  Radical greenies will never admit nor care that their strident calls for the death of oil/natural gas lines would effectively condemn remote reserves to status quo.  Which means that suicide, abuse, rampant drug use and all the other ills that plague such reserves will simply continue to be the norm. 

It doesn't take a genius to see how well those communities that have signed agreements with resource industries are doing compared to those that haven't or are prevented from doing so by ignorant, backward band councils and chiefs.

2 minutes ago, eyeball said:

That wasn't the question I asked you Shady so let's try again. 

Natural gas is mostly methane.

Yes or no?

Does it burn cleaner than other fossil fuels?  Has the United States used it to significantly cut it's C02 emissions?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

The Green Plan was a crippling double blow

Not only has the Wind & Solar Greenwashing been a disaster unto itself

The coal plants were already propping the Green Plan of the 1950's up, the huge costs of nuclear were being subsidized by cheap coal

So now there is just the twin costs of Nuclear and Green, and the cheap coal to prop it up is gone.

A dirty secret about wind turbines.

"Wind turbines may be carbon-free, but they’re not recyclable.

A photograph of dozens of giant turbine blades dumped into a Wyoming landfill touched off a debate Wednesday on Twitter about wind power’s environmental drawbacks. The argument may be only beginning."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-31/turbines-in-landfill-trigger-debate-over-wind-s-dirty-downside

21 hours ago, DogOnPorch said:

You didn't answer.

So the creation of numerous race based Bantustans with hereditary succession (kings) that Canada pays for?

Well?

And not a single link to the statement...........for all that the poster demands same from others.  It is to laugh.

Edited by mowich
to add an 's'
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mowich said:

Preaching to the choir, as a land owner in the boonies, wind turbines are the enemy

I have no shame in being a NIMBY,  threaten my property values, that's war

The Ontario Green Plan is just Toronto treating the rest of the province as their serfs

Edited by Dougie93
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jacee said:

RCMP prepares to crack down on Wet'suwet'en Nation as bottom falls out of LNG market in Asia

Some analysts believe that high-cost fossil fuels from Canada will never be economically viable in a low-carbon world

https://www.straight.com/news/1355886/rcmp-prepares-crack-down-wetsuweten-nation-bottom-falls-out-lng-market-asia

I actually bothered to read the entire screed....................funny thing............not one single word about the so-called 'crackdown by RCMP'.  Next time find an article that provides details about the headline.  Sheesh.

1 hour ago, mowich said:

I fully support resolving Indigenous issues one of the most important being the riding Canada of the racist Indian Act that is fully supported by the AFN.  Giving individual community members an actual voice in decision making without fear of being shunned by corrupt bands and chiefs is of utmost importance. 

Teresa Spence wasn't and isn't the only chief who used Federal funding for her own gain - there are numerous examples of such fraudulent activity by certain chiefs. 

Get rid of the Indian Act.  Get rid of the AFN.  Give every single member of a reserve title to their land.  Support bands that understand resource extraction is the only way to improve life in their communities.

I don't agree with prescribing how Indigenous people 'should' improve their lives. 

There are many reasons to get rid of the 'Indian' Act, but there are also many rights enshrined in the Act that need to be preserved. Again, it's their call, and I would like to see Indigenous people take the lead in drafting a new agreement.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, mowich said:

"Wind turbines may be carbon-free, but they’re not recyclable.

A photograph of dozens of giant turbine blades dumped into a Wyoming landfill touched off a debate Wednesday on Twitter about wind power’s environmental drawbacks. The argument may be only beginning."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-31/turbines-in-landfill-trigger-debate-over-wind-s-dirty-downside

There is substantial effort going into increasing the efficiency and reducing unwanted effects of wind turbines.

Eg, 

https://ca.dhgate.com/product/400w-12v-24v-vertical-axis-helix-windmill/431511618.html

No doubt the issue of recycling will be addressed. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, mowich said:

I actually bothered to read the entire screed....................funny thing............not one single word about the so-called 'crackdown by RCMP'.  Next time find an article that provides details about the headline.  Sheesh.

This article is from before the RCMP raid that happened Feb 20th.

My point in posting that article is the issue of the TCEnergy/CGL pipeline project fast becoming non-viable

" ... bottom falls out of LNG market in Asia

Some analysts believe that high-cost fossil fuels from Canada will never be economically viable in a low-carbon world"

Edited by jacee
  • Haha 1