Federal Conservative Leader

Who will be the leader?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

43 minutes ago, scribblet said:

No they were not.  Harper never ever talked about his beliefs or made religious comments and actually neither did Scheer.  it was the media that continually harped on it.  j

Not true. Harper coined the term "theo-cons" and called for the Conservative party to take a stronger stance on social conservative issues, saying: "On a wide range of public-policy questions, including foreign affairs and defence, criminal justice and corrections, family and child care, and health care and social services, social values are increasingly the really big issues."

He may have tried to downplay his beliefs to maintain power, but they were still his beliefs and he still made them known.

Marci McDonald was pretty good at fearmongering about Harper and religion, I wouldn't believe much of any thing she says about Harper,  it was all supposition and innuendo. 

Harper went to church I suppose but his politics were informed by economics not religion. Obviously his actions during his term put a lie to whatever she purported to know. 

Edited by scribblet

12 minutes ago, scribblet said:

Marci McDonald was pretty good at fearmongering about Harper and religion, I wouldn't believe much of any thing she says about Harper,  it was all supposition and innuendo. 

Harper went to church I suppose but his politics were informed by economics not religion.

Yep, like the tanks in the streets ad, or whatever it was.  All they have is fearmongering.  Harper’s secret agenda, every election time.  They’re all bigots.

• Like 1

The only problem with the theory that he is not a social conservative is that he has made it clear he is a social conservative.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. You can vote for or against it, as you wish. The bigots seem to be those who treat it like some kind of slur and automatically try and deny it, like you're calling him a white supremacist or something.

Edited by BubberMiley

1 minute ago, Shady said:

Yep, like the tanks in the streets ad, or whatever it was.  All they have is fearmongering.  Harper’s secret agenda, every election time.  They’re all bigots.

Right, because his so called religious agenda never materialized, didn't happen.  in fact, some people were unhappy that he did not not pursue it.   waiting for someone to mention but    John Hagee 

14 minutes ago, BubberMiley said:

The only problem with the theory that he is not a social conservative is that he has made it clear he is a social conservative.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. You can vote for or against it, as you wish. The bigots seem to be those who treat it like some kind of slur and automatically try and deny it, like you're calling him a white supremacist or something.

He’s the worst social conservative ever then.  Did nothing as PM.

9 minutes ago, scribblet said:

Right, because his so called religious agenda never materialized, didn't happen.  in fact, some people were unhappy that he did not not pursue it.   waiting for someone to mention but    John Hagee 

Yep.  To some people, just being catholic or Christian automatically makes you a so called bible thumper.  But they’d never reference a Koran thumper or Torah thumper. Meanwhile they gladly vote for a turban wearing guru granth sahib thumper.  Cause that’s ok.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, scribblet said:

Right.  this is all reminiscent of the "scary Harper agenda" days you know...the so cons are coming,  the so cons are coming , with hyperbole and innuendo intended to set liberals shivering in fear...   guess it still works. 

You guys are the ones insinuating his social conservative beliefs are a bad thing. I don't have a problem with them at all. I just wouldn't vote for them.

14 minutes ago, scribblet said:

Right.  this is all reminiscent of the "scary Harper agenda" days you know...the so cons are coming,  the so cons are coming , with hyperbole and innuendo intended to set liberals shivering in fear...   guess it still works. 

I’m not sure it works.  I think it actually helped Harper get his second majority.  Nobody believed it based on his first term.

2 hours ago, Shady said:

Yep.  To some people, just being catholic or Christian automatically makes you a so called bible thumper.

Hopefully it won't be long until being these things simply make you a delusional idiot.

But they’d never reference a Koran thumper or Torah thumper.

Ditto for these idiots.

Edited by eyeball

4 hours ago, Shady said:

How so?  They pretty much stuck to economic policy.  Just average church goers.  How long have you been a bigot?

They're anti-abortion.  They don't like homosexuality, neither have ever attended any Pride events.  How long have they been bigots?

As I said, they're Bible thumpers.  CPC needs some fiscal conservatives who have left the 20th century socially in order to appeal to most Canadians because most Canadians aren't Bible thumpers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scribblet said:

No they were not.  Harper never ever talked about his beliefs or made religious comments and actually neither did Scheer.  it was the media that continually harped on it.  j

Religious nutjob:  https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2010/03/17/harper_governments_aid_plan_omits_birth_control.html

10 hours ago, scribblet said:

Harper went to church I suppose but his politics were informed by economics not religion.

I doubt Harper's politics were informed by economics. Just look at his support of mass crony capitalism and his love of the dairy cartel. He had the economic illiterate belief that implementing a tax on CO2 emissions would not decrease CO2 emissions, despite that going against basic understanding of economics as well as empirical studies. He also lowered the GST, despite it being the more efficient than personal income taxes or corporate income taxes at raising government revenue per cost the the economy (justified again by economic theory and empirical studies).

Honestly, it's very possible for a poli-sci person to take some economics classes, barely pass without understanding anything, and then being able to claim they have a master's in economics. I doubt Harper could even do a simple OLS regression.

Edited by -1=e^ipi

One major issue that hurt Mr. Sheer was the CPC's percieved lack of understanding of the climate change crisis. 

It is ironic that when Mr. Harper named Ms. Ambrose to be Environment Minister, it was seen as an indication that the portfolio was not important by putting a non-entity in as Minister. How things have changed for her.

1 hour ago, -1=e^ipi said:

I doubt Harper's politics were informed by economics. Just look at his support of mass crony capitalism and his love of the dairy cartel. He had the economic illiterate belief that implementing a tax on CO2 emissions would not decrease CO2 emissions, despite that going against basic understanding of economics as well as empirical studies. He also lowered the GST, despite it being the more efficient than personal income taxes or corporate income taxes at raising government revenue per cost the the economy (justified again by economic theory and empirical studies).

Honestly, it's very possible for a poli-sci person to take some economics classes, barely pass without understanding anything, and then being able to claim they have a master's in economics. I doubt Harper could even do a simple OLS regression.

I contend you  advocate on behalf of anything the People's Republic of China  tells you to say on this forum. So your bias against Harper is transparent. He stood up to China and you now feel it is your patriotic duty to slag him with name calling. Oh say your raising Chong's name was based on his "qualifications". Got it.  Hey no problem. People love China, Turkey, Trump on this board. We all have our biases. I love Tonga.

12 hours ago, BubberMiley said:

You guys are the ones insinuating his social conservative beliefs are a bad thing. I don't have a problem with them at all. I just wouldn't vote for them.

But you'd vote for a Muslim or Hindu or Sikh without even a second thought about what their religious values were.

10 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

So not wanting to spend $600 million of our money to help foreigners have abortions makes you a religious nut job? I guess I'm a religious nut job then.