Saudi Arabia expells Canadian ambassador

47 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

Wow some of the board members here astound me.

With all the complaining about radical Islam, you'd figure that the people that oppose Islam (radical or not) would welcome this move by Trudeau. But that does not seem to be the case, instead the move is to insult Trudeau and continue to support a brutal Islamic dictatorship like Saudi Arabia.

Kicking the Saudis out of Canada would be a great move in my view.  Why is this met with such resistance by certain members here?

You seem to be operating under the misapprehension that this dispute relates to actual principles when in all probability it doesn't. JT's government fell into this little crisis as a result of an apparently indiscreet tweet. But assuming he can limit the damage and prevent the cancellation of a large military contract, he seems content to play politics with it by virtue-signalling to his base. In the meantime, serious sanctions, which could be warranted were the government actually serious about human rights abuses, probably won't be considered unless the Saudis up the ante. The Trudeau government has no intention of getting into a fight over Islam. Are you encouraging him and his government to go full-out Islamophobic? The progressive tribe in this country long ago made peace with the cultural hypocrisy it espouses.

• Like 3

Just now, GostHacked said:

Really? This is the kind of childish question you put forth?

Fine, Alright so you DO support the Saudi Arabian radical Islamic terrorist regime. I'll play your silly little trolling game.

Loaded questions get loaded answers.

Just now, turningrite said:

You seem to be operating under the misapprehension that this dispute relates to actual principles when in all probability it doesn't. JT's government fell into this little crisis as a result of an apparently indiscreet tweet. But assuming he can limit the damage and prevent the cancellation of a large military contract, he seems content to play politics with it by virtue-signalling to his base. In the meantime, serious sanctions, which could be warranted were the government actually serious about human rights abuses, probably won't be considered unless the Saudis up the ante. The Trudeau government has no intention of getting into a fight over Islam. Are you encouraging him and his government to go full-out Islamophobic? The progressive tribe in this country long ago made peace with the cultural hypocrisy it espouses.

No I am holding them accountable for their hypocritical stances.  Getting rid of Assad is GOOD, but getting rid of the Saudis is BAD. When both act the same fucking way.

No I am holding them accountable for their hypocritical stances.  Getting rid of Assad is GOOD, but getting rid of the Saudis is BAD. When both act the same fucking way.

Now you're making stuff up.

• Like 1

Prove it. But you won't.

Your the one claiming folks want Assad removed. Again...every word ever written here is available for quoting...start backing-up your claims or stop making accusations.

3 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Your the one claiming folks want Assad removed. Again...every word ever written here is available for quoting...start backing-up your claims or stop making accusations.

I ask a legit question and it is met with ' do you beat your wife'??   Is that how this works? Is that the kind of childish talk we can expect from you? But let's get back to the topic of Canada and Saudi Arabia. Let's not make this about my wife that I beat up all the time. I am flattered, but stop trying to make it about me.

Edited by GostHacked

28 minutes ago, turningrite said:

The Saudis were the subject of that post, not Islam in general. GostHacked isn't the one having trouble making the distinction.

Edited by Wilber
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Wilber said:

Eastern Canadians will still be able to enjoy Saudi Oil

Guess they still like our money and the prospect of an Energy East has them worried. We wouldn't need their oil and we would be added competition in the European market. All the more reason to build it.

Exact same reason Trudeau and Freeland won't cancel that big, fat $15 billion LAV contract with the KAS.

Economics Trumps Virtue.

Trudeau is a confused.  He claims to care about human rights in Saudi Arabia as he is striving to reopen the Iranian Embassy in Ottawa, while refusing to list the Revolutionary Guard Corps as a terrorist entity despite their list of human rights violations!

2 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Exact same reason Trudeau and Freeland won't cancel that big, fat $15 billion LAV contract with the KAS.

Economics Trumps Virtue.

Be careful.  One day you may be quoted you back to yourself when the shoe is on the other foot.  Virtue must ultimately trump economics, if we still oppose slavery, pogroms, mass political arrests, concentration camps...

1 minute ago, scribblet said:

Trudeau is a confused.  He claims to care about human rights in Saudi Arabia as he is striving to reopen the Iranian Embassy in Ottawa, while refusing to list the Revolutionary Guard Corps as a terrorist entity despite their list of human rights violations!

This row was the result a comment concerning the fate of two people,  nothing more. 

Very alarmed to learn that Samar Badawi, Raif Badawi’s sister, has been imprisoned in Saudi Arabia. Canada stands together with the Badawi family in this difficult time, and we continue to strongly call for the release of both Raif and Samar Badawi.

It was the Saudis who escalated it to its present state, not Canada.

More Justin Trudeau virtue signaling nonsense and revisionist history....his own father was the PM of Canada when "human rights" abuses were rampant against First Nations people in Canada, with repercussions still being confronted today.

“Canadians have always expected [us] to speak strongly, firmly, clearly and politely about the need to respect human rights at home and around the world."

The Trudeaus have always practiced "human rights" values as a matter of selective, political convenience...demonstrated again with Freeland's latest global affairs ill advised tweets.    Trudeau can keep preaching to his base in Canada, but the world has tuned out his government's tired ranting in this case.

...We seem to be doing far more talking than listening, favouring a form of megaphone diplomacy that only seems to work with smaller countries that need our diplomatic support or our aid dollars. Yet we stubbornly favour broadcast mode even when it comes to major powers, something that contributed to our recent diplomatic debacles with China and India. We’re strangely reluctant to believe that our “values-based” foreign policy can come across as preachy, insensitive and interfering.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-the-saudis-deliver-a-sobering-lesson-in-diplomacy-words-do-matter/

Edited by bush_cheney2004

3 hours ago, Wilber said:

The Saudis are torturing the Badawis around the clock  and it is all Canada’s fault. The Saudis are forced to torture people  because of people’s tweets. Talk about f%@#*>d up logic. Talk about tribal bullshit. You take the cake.

My comment on your Christian hypocrisy stands.

Lol.  Torture is an ordinary procedure in  dictatorial regimes.   I didn't say the Saudis are forced to torture because of people's tweets.  Read again.....and understand what you're reading.

Edited by betsy

:lol:

2 hours ago, GostHacked said:

Wow some of the board members here astound me.

With all the complaining about radical Islam, you'd figure that the people that oppose Islam (radical or not) would welcome this move by Trudeau. But that does not seem to be the case, instead the move is to insult Trudeau and continue to support a brutal Islamic dictatorship like Saudi Arabia.

Because Trudeau is a dolt!   We're all affected by his decision(s)!  That's why!

Instead of de-escalating this situation, which his Minister of Foreign Affairs had caused,  he came out digging in, and throwing gasoline into the fire.....with his baloney so-called stance on human rights.   HELLO?  He and Freeland pick and choose their dictators!  Did anyone ever hear them publicly calling out to China the way they did towards KSA?

Edited by betsy

1 minute ago, betsy said:

Lol.  Torture is an ordinary procedure in  dictatorial regimes.   I didn't say the Saudis are forced to torture because of people's tweets.  Read again.....and understand what you're reading.

The poor Badawis must be getting tortured round the clock now in that Saudi prison - being the "cause" of all these, you know.

These self-serving politicians don't care at all that their big tweets would likely have severe repercussions on those that are at the mercy of a brutal regime!

I think I understood it pretty well.

If Freeland truly is serious about wanting to secure the release of the Badawis, they would've done so quietly......and, diplomatically.  The last thing she'd want would be to ruffle any sensitive feathers.  She knows the Saudis are sensitive - she must know!   Look what happened to Sweden and Germany.   I hope she did her homework.

If the government had been involved in a quiet diplomatic process we wouldn't know about it would we? That's what being quiet and diplomatic is all about. 

A logical person would consider the likelihood that Freeland's tweet was a result of frustration with a diplomatic process going nowhere, which even though unadvised, would put it in a completely different context. Badawi's wife and children are Canadian citizens after all, living in Quebec. Your tribalism makes you incapable of even asking yourself that question. You want to believe that it was some kind of three AM Trump style brain fart so that's what you run with.

This government is being hypocritical as has already been stated.  They point out Saudi Arabia but leave out equally repressive regimes, like in Cuba, China, etc.  It's easy to be critical of Saudi Arabia, and takes literally no courage at all.  It's actually the easy way out.