What export tariffs should Canada impose on the US?

If Canada really wants to make the US feel the pinch, I don't think import tariffs are the solution. Instead, I think export tariffs are the way to go. I'd impose the following export tariffs on the US:

1. a 25% tariff on Canadian steel exports to the US. It doesn't seem the US wants our steel anyway and, if we must pay a tariff, Id rather the Canadian government collect at least half of it.

2. A 10% tariff on Canadian aluminium exports to the US for the same reason as above.

3. A 1/3 tariff on the export of Canadian non-renewable resources, animal products and byproducts, tobacco, and alcohol.

The above tariffs would shift the pain of a trade war to Canadian producers and US consumers rather than on Canadian consumers and US producers as is the case with import tariffs.

7 hours ago, Machjo said:

If Canada really wants to make the US feel the pinch, I don't think import tariffs are the solution. Instead, I think export tariffs are the way to go. I'd impose the following export tariffs on the US:

1. a 25% tariff on Canadian steel exports to the US. It doesn't seem the US wants our steel anyway and, if we must pay a tariff, Id rather the Canadian government collect at least half of it.

2. A 10% tariff on Canadian aluminium exports to the US for the same reason as above.

3. A 1/3 tariff on the export of Canadian non-renewable resources, animal products and byproducts, tobacco, and alcohol.

The above tariffs would shift the pain of a trade war to Canadian producers and US consumers rather than on Canadian consumers and US producers as is the case with import tariffs.

I've been suggesting we do the same thing to change the behaviour of dictators but Canadians apparently only do this to one another to force us to to deal with dictatorships.

FUBAR.

No other country in the developed world is so dependent on exports to a single nation as is Canada (75%) to the United States.

This tariff tiff will expose all the protectionist dirt on both sides of the border, especially Canadian dairy tariffs (240% !!!).

And just to make things interesting, American corps own 50% of Canada's manufacturing base....including French's ketchup.

Canada's no Angel, granted. Dancing, telecom restrictions, supply management needed to go long ago and that Canada study to such anachronisms irritate me. Those policies hurt us more than the US. They do not excuse Trump's behaviour.

And remember, this is Trump against everyone not just Canada. We can go back to normal relations once Trump is out. We're now at war.

• Like 1

Nope, the libs got it right, they targetted products that come from the counties and districts where the house majority speaker, senate leader and swing states are.  Make them feel the economic pain where the voters matter most so they learn voting for Trump is bad.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2018 at 2:42 PM, Machjo said:

Canada's no Angel, granted. Dancing, telecom restrictions, supply management needed to go long ago and that Canada study to such anachronisms irritate me. Those policies hurt us more than the US. They do not excuse Trump's behaviour.

And remember, this is Trump against everyone not just Canada. We can go back to normal relations once Trump is out. We're now at war.

Supply manangement has some virtues. At least it doesn’t flood the world market with excess product which is what subsidies tend to do. 

I have never met anyone who supports our Canadian telecom cartel. There’s nothing cultural worth preserving there. 

• 2 weeks later...

None. We should ditch the Quebec dairy subsidies and pursue true free trade with the US. It serves Canadian best interests to have full access to the largest First-World Market on earth. The Perfumed Prince Trudope should quit posturing and shut his gob hole. Canada will pay a heavy price for electing this ridiculous arrested adolescent man-child. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, BuzzKillington said:

None. We should ditch the Quebec dairy subsidies and pursue true free trade with the US. It serves Canadian best interests to have full access to the largest First-World Market on earth. The Perfumed Prince Trudope should quit posturing and shut his gob hole. Canada will pay a heavy price for electing this ridiculous arrested adolescent man-child. 

Yessss convince more people

• Like 1

On 6/27/2018 at 9:09 AM, BuzzKillington said:

• Us subsidizes it’s dairy farms to the tune of 20 billion. That isn’t free trade, learn the facts before attempting to betray your nation,

On 6/15/2018 at 11:11 AM, SpankyMcFarland said:

Supply manangement has some virtues. At least it doesn’t flood the world market with excess product which is what subsidies tend to do.

Yes, because it would be so terrible for poor people to have cheaper food prices! *Sarcasm*

1 minute ago, Jimwd said:
  • Us subsidizes it’s dairy farms to the tune of 20 billion. That isn’t free trade, learn the facts before attempting to betray your nation,

Maybe the people that want poor people to suffer by paying twice as much for milk, eggs, cheese, chicken, turkey and other basic food prices are the ones betraying the nation. Let along going into a giant trade war all in order to support such a terrible and unjust system.

1 minute ago, -1=e^ipi said:

Maybe the people that want poor people to suffer by paying twice as much for milk, eggs, cheese, chicken, turkey and other basic food prices are the ones betraying the nation. Let along going into a giant trade war all in order to support such a terrible and unjust system.

SO you don’t want free trade ? I thought you did, it looks like you want America to take advantage of Canada.

unbelievable 

2 minutes ago, Jimwd said:

SO you don’t want free trade ? I thought you did, it looks like you want America to take advantage of Canada.

I'm not against retaliatory tariffs or reciprocity.

But what I am against is not putting the dairy, egg or poultry cartels on the negotiating table. Or the trade war that has resulted due to the refusal to keep a terrible unjust system that makes 0 economic sense and greatly harms poor people.

Do you know why Australia and New Zealand got rid of their cartels 20 years ago? Because it's completely insane to keep them.

Just now, -1=e^ipi said:

I'm not against retaliatory tariffs or reciprocity.

But what I am against is not putting the dairy, egg or poultry cartels on the negotiating table. Or the trade war that has resulted due to the refusal to keep a terrible unjust system that makes 0 economic sense and greatly harms poor people.

Do you know why Australia and New Zealand got rid of their cartels 20 years ago? Because it's completely insane to keep them.

This is what you said my friend 

“ We should ditch the Quebec dairy subsidies and pursue true free trade with the US.”

So you want Quebec dairy subsidies ditched but not the us subsidies to the tune of 20 billion ditched?

explain your double standard, why you want Canadian subsidies eliminated but not American subsidies ?

Just now, Jimwd said:

This is what you said my friend 

“ We should ditch the Quebec dairy subsidies and pursue true free trade with the US.”

That was a different poster with the username BuzzKillington.

2 minutes ago, Jimwd said:

So you want Quebec dairy subsidies ditched but not the us subsidies to the tune of 20 billion ditched?

The American's are not so much concerned about the supply management system (which isn't a subsidy) as they are with the associated tariffs. The supply management system depends on tariffs but the tariffs do not require the supply management system. Abolish the supply management system unilaterally. Only give up the tariffs if that is reciprocated.

Just now, -1=e^ipi said:

That was a different poster with the username BuzzKillington.

The American's are not so much concerned about the supply management system (which isn't a subsidy) as they are with the associated tariffs. The supply management system depends on tariffs but the tariffs do not require the supply management system. Abolish the supply management system unilaterally. Only give up the tariffs if that is reciprocated.

You didn’t answer my question about the 20 billion in us subsidies,

13 minutes ago, Jimwd said:

You didn’t answer my question about the 20 billion in us subsidies,

Trade should be reciprocal. Realistically, the US will not give up their subsidies for Canada because then they indirectly given concessions to the Europeans. Also, it is unlikely that we would get a world with 0 agricultural subsidies even if we were to get 100% economically literate politicians because there are national security reasons to subsidize agriculture (the supply management does the opposite and harms national security by reducing the quantity of food produced). So one possible reciprocal solution is that Canada simply imposes reciprocal dairy subsidies.

One thing that I think is important to understand about trade issues internationally, is that often countries act completely against their interests, especially when it comes to subsidies. This is because of a combination of general economic illiteracy of politicians and because producers tend to have disproportionate political influence (be it the dairy farmers in Canada or the softwood lumber producers in the US). If a country subsidizes an industry then effectively the tax payers of the subsidizing country are subsidizing the consumption of consumers in another country. If you calculate the net impact on the economic welfare of a country due to the subsidy, the subsidizing country's overall welfare is always lower, while the other country may sometimes have a slightly higher welfare. Yet because producers tend to have disproportionate influence, many politicians and countries pretend that subsidies help the subsidizing country.

Edited by -1=e^ipi

On 6/2/2018 at 2:19 AM, H10 said:

Nope, the libs got it right, they targetted products that come from the counties and districts where the house majority speaker, senate leader and swing states are.  Make them feel the economic pain where the voters matter most so they learn voting for Trump is bad.

If US taxpayers want to subsidize the food that Canadians eat, Canadians should welcome it and thank them for it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Machjo said:

If US taxpayers want to subsidize the food that Canadians eat, Canadians should welcome it and thank them for it.

You damn right you should thank us. If you eat enough freedom you wouldn't be complain about us so much.