Women Soldiers

betsy

3 hours ago, AngusThermopyle said:

Gotta love it when the arm chair soldiers sit there and tell you what isn't important in this particular profession. Of course those same arm chair soldiers have never had to make a 30 k forced march with full kit in 110 deg weather either so it's quite easy to opine on something of which you have zero knowledge. I also enjoy hearing them inform us as to how modern warfare is practiced, once again with zero knowledge of the subject. Here's a clue, physical conditioning and strength are incredibly important, always have been and always will be. 

No one has said physical conditioning and strength aren't important.  Why would you think that?

1 hour ago, taxme said:

I doubt that there are that many female soldiers out there that can be compared to Sigourney Weaver in Aliens. But then again that was Hollywood and not the real world. Myself, I cannot see where a woman soldier will be as tough a soldier as Weaver was in her Alien movie. I think that woman are being given the wrong impression by Hollywood and are being led to believe that they would be an asset on the battlefield. 

Male soldiers are way tougher than women. Chuck Norris, John Rambo...

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello...

Israel doesn't play the PC game re: female soldiers. They serve where they do their best work and that's that. They saw more front-line action in the earlier wars, though. Still, over 500 female Israeli soldiers have been KIA.

Note the ol' Sten Gun...'48 War. Short-shorts, too...

Haganah_Woman.jpg.64b310597cf2768de4777f7e63bea83b.jpg

Edited by DogOnPorch
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Israel doesn't play the PC game re: female soldiers. They serve where they do their best work and that's that.

First rule of soldiering.  You're there to do as you're told.

On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 3:05 AM, bcsapper said:

First rule of soldiering.  You're there to do as you're told.

Over here, the first rule of military service is never to trust a member of the officer class to run a piss-up in a brewery - or anything, really, but to say 'Yes, Sir, No Sir, three bags full , Sir!' in a nice, polite way.

Edited by Penderyn
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, DogOnPorch said:

Israel doesn't play the PC game re: female soldiers. They serve where they do their best work and that's that. They saw more front-line action in the earlier wars, though. Still, over 500 female Israeli soldiers have been KIA.

Note the ol' Sten Gun...'48 War. Short-shorts, too...

Reveal hidden contents

Haganah_Woman.jpg.64b310597cf2768de4777f7e63bea83b.jpg

Hah!  World War z - showed us a sample of their tough woman soldier!

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1

Are we really ready to see our daughters gang raped, tortured and decapitated live on the Internet by Isil fighters? Because that is exactly what will happen if a female front line soldier is captured in Syria.

For terrorist or extremist organisations, any press is ‘good’ in their warped world view - and the more gruesome, disturbing and inhumane the better. A captured female soldier would be gold dust for their global radicalisation campaign.

I also think a blanket approach to opening up all ground combat roles to women is too ‘cookie-cutter’. 

I see no reason why women couldn’t serve in front line armoured regiments that aren't quite as physically demanding as, say, the infantry. These units do see direct combat, but the soldiers are 'mounted' in fighting vehicles, so there is less physical fitness required and they do not engage in hand-to-hand combat unless their vehicle is disabled and over-run by the enemy.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/work/putting-women-soldiers-like-me-on-the-front-line-is-dangerous/

No one can rule out hand-to-hand combat!   

Like her hypothetical scenario -  sometimes you're forced into it !  You can't say, "wait, wait wait....I'm with the armored regiment!  I'm not infantry!  I didn't sign up for this!" 

Woe to the unit with women in the group if ever they had to get into physical combat!  You're all as good as dead.

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, betsy said:

You sure those aren't toys?  :D By the looks of those cute faces - more like the "charm offensive" brigade!    Like North Korea's....

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42616982

Red China still manufactures several compact sub-machine guns. I wouldn't count on it being a toy. Looks like a Type 64 with some parade dressing.

;)

• 4 weeks later...

Canada has had females in all the combat arms trades for dozens of years now. Yes the Canadian Armed Forces  has lowered all the standards to accommodate this political decision to open up all trades across the entire spectrum of Army , Navy, Air force with exception of service in Subs, I am not sure at this time if that is still the case..

I have served with female Infanteers, and other trades as well both in the ranks, or as officers and have not found one that i would not trust my life to, or go into battle with .  Those that are not fit have been weeded out long ago, same as their male counter parts, everyone has proved their worth in training on many occasions before going into combat....

you bring up many valid points about strength, endurance, or the ability to defend themselves, and while they are not all created equal, in the physical being , you place a C-7 rifle in their hands, give them the training they require to defend themselves and you have a soldier, not just any soldier, but one that has had to prove herself or himself over and over again to ensure her or his comrades they belong there, that they have earned the right to fight with and beside any other Canadian soldier.

I've seen 120 lb female medic throw a 220 lb infanteer over her should and run down an ally under fire. and while i have not served under a female infantry officer , i have had good friends comment on some of the female officers in the CAF and said they performed better than any male officer they have served under and would do it again.

Do i think the standards are to low , yes i do, .....I also think that over time anyone can achieve any standard, if you have the will and drive..... while females are not known for being great on the physical side, there are a lot that have gone farther than their male counter parts of the same stature. everyone brings something to the table, it is a platoon commanders role to bring that out and to use that ability for the greater good of the platoon.  Remember in todays modern combat , everything is not as physical as it once was, a lot more mechanization, such as hybred suits or attachment braces  that allow persons to carry heavy loads, improved rucksacks the list is endless.....everyday the physical barriers get less and less.

• Thanks 1

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/work/putting-women-soldiers-like-me-on-the-front-line-is-dangerous/

Besty read your link sounds like she needs to grow a set of lady balls, She is a combat arms officer, not sure how the British field engineers work, but in Canada they are in the thick of all the action.. demining, explosive disposal, building bridges, clearing obstacles....the list goes on....it can be one of the most dangerous occupations in a war zone.....She lacks the confidence that comes with being part of a Combat force, that knows exactly what it is capable off and what power it can deal out to bad guys, ....* note not once in our 10 years of being in Afghanistan did one Canadian soldier get captured by the enemy.....NOT once....and for the most part combat arms spent most of their tour running the roads outside the wire.  In Afghanistan our military forces were not separated by sex, OK other than the bathroom and living quarters ....we were one big green machine....if a girl pulled the i'm a women card, she find herself on a plane back home....

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/jennie-carignan-will-be-the-first-female-general-from-the-combat-arms-trades/

http://www.thecasket.ca/archives/34673

https://ml-fd.caf-fac.ca/en/2017/06/5263

http://o.canada.com/news/war-experienced-canadian-maj-eleanor-taylor-advised-u-s-brass-on-females-in-combat