Olympics PyeongChang 2018 - you are excited

RB

4 minutes ago, Boges said:

Anthems are usually just instrumentals. 

...and just hope they don`t cue up the wrong one on the LP at that. It seems every so often someone messes up and plays the wrong national anthem. The most notable was in 2012 but not at the Olympics but rather an international shooting championship in Kuwait. When it was time for gold medal recipient Mariya Dmitrienko from Kazakhstan, they played the parody national anthem from Borat (not the movie is banned in Kuwait as well).

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

What makes you think the women's team Canada could not beat an NHL team?

1) Men are objectively stronger than women 

2) Women's hockey doesn't have checking

3) The NHL is the best hockey league in the world. If women were a match at the highest level, you'd see more women in lower level of men's hockey OHL, AHL, KHL ECHL etc. 

1 hour ago, Boges said:

1) Men apre objectively stronger than women 

2) Women's hockey doesn't have checking

If they played without bodychecking, would #1 have a real impact? Perhaps some slapshots, but how big a factor is that in the game.

Anyone who has seen women's roller derby doesn't understand #2

7 hours ago, -TSS- said:

Russians lose their first game but so do the USA. However, every team makes it to the play-offs.

Surprising result against Slovenia, who are not known to be a very good hockey team. Perhaps because no NHL players. Might make for an interesting tournament!

On 2/6/2018 at 2:58 PM, RB said:

I hope we bring the medals and sing the updated anthem from "in all thy sons command" with "in all of us command"

Go Canada Go!!

I like to hear "The Maple Leaf Forever" when raising the flag, but I also like O Canada. I also know someone would have a problem with some words in the Maple Leaf too.

We don't get to see much of the Olympic hockey in my area. They've only shown a few games so far, and then only very late at night. What we do get is as much Curling as we can handle, which for me is none at all. Couldn't care less about that "sport", but I suspect the events we get to see has a lot to do with the cost of licencing to broadcast an event. 

I dunno, bobsledding- I just don''t see this as a "sport". Where is the athleticism? You sit in a sled and steer. To me it's more like tobogganing than a sport requiring true physical skill, strength or finesse. Another variation on this can be "Crazy Carpeting", or "Downhill tire tubing".
Even curling is more physically demanding.

Does it drive anyone else nuts when the curlers kick the rocks before they stop moving?

I just noticed the British curlers' trousers.  Sorry about that.

Edited by bcsapper

21 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Does it drive anyone else nuts when the curlers kick the rocks before they stop moving?

I just noticed the British curlers' trousers.  Sorry about that.

Curling is a lot like shuffleboard, or playing darts. Not a sport but a game, frequently played while the players are drinking and smoking.
But hey, now they're "Olympians".

22 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

I dunno, bobsledding- I just don''t see this as a "sport". Where is the athleticism? You sit in a sled and steer.

You need to leap from the starting line while pushing 500 pounds of bobsled at full speed, yet you need to be lean to lighten the load and wind resistance as you hunker down in the sled. Strength is needed to achieve the powerful launch to reach winning speeds. You need to have a precise balance of speed, muscle, balance, and weight. You would probably die panting after a 50 yard dash, let alone pushing a heavy sled all the way.

Some winter sports seem to have a real spirit of camaraderie, e.g. bobsledding and skiing, even in the new events like ski cross where they race against each other. Competitors summon up more enthusiasm when they congratulate the winners than one usually sees in regular pro sports. 

That downhill skiing is mad - must be brutal on the knees. I remember taking a look at the course at Nakiska in 88. It was a wall of ice.

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

On 20/02/2018 at 5:47 PM, ?Impact said:

You need to leap from the starting line while pushing 500 pounds of bobsled at full speed, yet you need to be lean to lighten the load and wind resistance as you hunker down in the sled. Strength is needed to achieve the powerful launch to reach winning speeds. You need to have a precise balance of speed, muscle, balance, and weight. You would probably die panting after a 50 yard dash, let alone pushing a heavy sled all the way.

The sled weighs less, is pushed by two people and is on ice. The total amount of time pushing the sled is less than ten seconds, hardly "all the way". After that brief burst, you get to have a nice little ride.

Edited by OftenWrong

5 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Congratulations to the Canadian women's hockey team for winning the silver medal at the 2018 Winter Olympics.

These girls are all champs. With the exception of one player who took off her silver medal they all took the loss quite well. There were not many tears in the lineup after the game. I think the way people accept a loss says something as well.

Trudeau and his wife had to chime in of course, and what they said was stupid. Rather than giving congratulations for a silver medal by making it all the way to the end and losing by shootout, "tough loss, I feel for you."

The media coverage reflects what a generation of snowflakes we have become. Women's hockey silver medal - "Devastating loss", "A grim daybreak", "Disappointment". "Now let's turn to some GOOD news on the ice- Kim Boutin wins silver in 1000 metre short track!!  Men's skating team wins a bronze!!!"

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

The media coverage reflects what a generation of snowflakes we have become. Women's hockey silver medal - "Devastating loss", "A grim daybreak", "Disappointment". "Now let's turn to some GOOD news on the ice- Kim Boutin wins silver in 1000 metre short track!!  Men's skating team wins a bronze!!!"

Seriously sensitive....."Put your medal on !!! "

Jocelyne Laroque was the third Canadian to receive her second-place medal. She took it off as if it was hot. Jillian Saulnier was crying so hard that dipping her head to accept hers was a difficulty. Meghan Agosta, a Vancouver cop, assumed a thousand-yard stare and accepted her punishment.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/kelly-its-a-shame-canada-lost-but-there-is-no-shame-in-it/article38062054/