Freedom of speech

1 minute ago, Argus said:

I guess Trump supporters are a lot like this. Like you, the media they consume never offers up a hint of challenge to their world view, and never challenges their preconceptions. Indeed, it does everything it can to reinforce their beliefs. Your view of life is through the eye of the CBC and other left wing media, and it hasn't ever struck you as even possible that there are vast numbers of Canadians who don't share your beliefs.

Actually trump supports are the EXACT American equivalent of you. Reactionist, simple minded, xenophobic, social program haters. You pretty much ARE them.

Your view of life is through the eye of the CBC and other left wing media

Again this just shows your normal propensity for completely misunderstanding others. "The left" for you is just an imaginary bunch of people in your head. It was kind of ironic that in your inane OP you went off on some mindless diatribe against the "the left", and the "the forces of the left", then  a couple of posts later lamented that "people cant debate intelligently". 

I have not watched the CBC in years. And I don't watch any left wing media at all. I don't even have cable, and I almost never read news media at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Argus said:

My opinions on the financial crisis and those responsible are a matter of easily found record here. And while it might surprise your cliche'd view of me they aren't flattering to the financial establishment.

Extremists like you don't understand how some people can take an even-handed view of things. I've written a lot of nasty things about the RCMP and Toronto Police for their actions against Left wing protesters in Toronto and Vancouver. I also don't think much of Trump or his supporters, but I feel contempt for those trying to shut them down. Similarly, while not pro life I think they have the right to their marches and speeches.

I'm not as narrow-focused as you. As much as I disdain much of the world views of 'the other side' I don't hate them, and I feel they have the right to explain themselves and state their opinions.

Again... Iv challenged you to show a single example of any extreme view I have ever had, and you completely shat the bed. Crickets.

The point remains... people shouting each other down might be a problem, but you are ascribing that problem to an imaginary enemy that only exists in your head, and that is a problem with YOU. Not anyone else.

Edited by dre

Just now, dre said:

Actually trump supports are the EXACT American equivalent of you. Reactionist, simple minded, xenophobic, social program haters. You pretty much ARE them.

And yet, I am able to hold a discussion on an internet web site without frothing at the mouth. Maybe if you get some anger management courses you'll be capable of the same some day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Argus said:

And yet, I am able to hold a discussion on an internet web site without frothing at the mouth. Maybe if you get some anger management courses you'll be capable of the same some day.

You are probably the biggest mouth frother on this whole site bud. I'm not angry at all, and barely even interested. I think today is the first time I have posted here in about a month.

Edited by dre

4 hours ago, dre said:

Pretty funny OP. 

Those liberals chanting is ALSO an expression of free speech. Look... college campuses are full of students and teachers... both strong liberal demographics. Its just naturally going to be an unfriendly place for conservative idealogues, just like if a liberal ideologue tried to give a speech at a chamber of commerce meeting, or an old folks home. He would get booed.

Too bad.... So sad.

Part of "freedom of speech", is that you CAN shout someone down and tell them to go fvck themselves if they say things you think are gross.

If someone is trying to speak at an organized event, and people stand up and want to chant for 10 seconds or whatnot to make their point of protest, then sure that's free speech and peaceful protest, but they you chant endlessly just to disrupt and shut-down the event, I think that's disturbance of the peace IMO.

16 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

If someone is trying to speak at an organized event, and people stand up and want to chant for 10 seconds or whatnot to make their point of protest, then sure that's free speech and peaceful protest, but they you chant endlessly just to disrupt and shut-down the event, I think that's disturbance of the peace IMO.

Yup and under the law it is.  You can even get tasered bro!!!   https://www.google.ca/search?q=dont+tase+me+bro&rlz=1C1CHBF_enCA732CA732&oq=dont+tase+me+bro&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.3935j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-

In any case... all this blabbing on about the "forces of the left" and "free speech" is pure BS, from a guy that produces pretty much nothing else. Both sides of the political spectrum do the same thing for the same reasons. People have invested themselves in this culture war for whatever reasons. Its really stupid, but it is what it is. It would be kinda nice if they all just died but that would reduce our population by about 70%.

Edited by dre
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Argus said:

Once again, I'm talking about Canada. Perhaps you've heard of the place. And most of those trying to silence advertisers here are the BLM crowd.

oh, ok.

Idiot Trump supporters decided to hold a 'free speech' rally in Portland. Now not being a Trump supporter I'd be like meh, and simply ignore it. But that's not the mentality of some on the Left, so of course, they gathered in their hoodies and black masks - with weapons.

So which part of Canada is Portland in?

(After that Trump-loving "patriot" stabbed people to death in Portland last week, is it surprising that the anti-Trump protestors are arming up?)

Or punching them in the face. Or hitting them on the head with clubs. 

I guess that we are headed for the US, and that people seem to want it to go that way. I hope they're happy when our own Trump is elected.

So where in Canada are conservatives getting punched in the face or beaten with clubs?

-k

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kimmy said:

So where in Canada are conservatives getting punched in the face or beaten with clubs?

I've posted videos of them doing the same thing in Toronto a couple of weeks ago, and apparently they were at it in Ottawa this weekend.

Johnston said he covered up on the ground while he was kicked repeatedly. He then went to the aid of his videographer, who was also on the ground. He managed to call 911 and later was able to point out several of his alleged assailants to police.

Johnston’s ear was badly cut in the assault. The videographer suffered a concussion and was taken to hospital by ambulance, he said. Johnston also said that two video cameras and his wallet were stolen during the attack, which he blamed on members of the “ANTIFA” or anti-fascist movement.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/if-there-was-a-5000-strong-pro-trump-rally-ottawa-police-didnt-hear-about-it

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, bcsapper said:

Richard Dawkins falls foul of a US radio station that exhibits an absolutely stunning failure to understand what free speech means.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/richard-dawkins-islam-muslims-islamophobic-row-twitter-tweets-atheist-kpfa-us-university-of-a7854751.html

Well, it's Berkeley. You can't expect free speech in the land of the permanently outraged. Like other atheists before him have discovered (all very left of centre, incidentally) you're welcomed and applauded when you say nasty things about Christianity, but the moment you start pointing out how nasty Islam is your previous progressive admirers recoil in horror and start accusing you of "islamophobia". Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris being prime examples.

12 minutes ago, Argus said:

Well, it's Berkeley. You can't expect free speech in the land of the permanently outraged. Like other atheists before him have discovered (all very left of centre, incidentally) you're welcomed and applauded when you say nasty things about Christianity, but the moment you start pointing out how nasty Islam is your previous progressive admirers recoil in horror and start accusing you of "islamophobia". Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris being prime examples.

His statement on this bears out the story.  Criticism of religion needs to be allowed 100%.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

The OP would have more credibility if he weren't so riled up himself all the time. 

I am not a turn-the-other-cheek kind of guy. An unbiased examination of any of the times I have written intemperately to others here would show virtually all of them provoked those words with their own generally personal accusations.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

Are you sure about that? I think I've detected spittle on occasion. 

I'm sure that I generally treat sneering, sophomoric dullards with the back of my hand. 

I presume you've been given it on occasion given your decision to enter this thread for no other purpose but to insult me.

And so you define yourself.

Edited by Argus
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Argus said:

I'm sure that I generally treat sneering, sophomoric dullards with the back of my hand. 

I presume you've been given it on occasion given your decision to enter this thread for no other purpose but to insult me.

Usually you just come off sounding like what you just described when your argument begins to fail. 

2 hours ago, Argus said:

I do not intend to insult you; rather, I'm just telling you how you sound some times. 

1 hour ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

I do not intend to insult you; rather, I'm just telling you how you sound some times. 

I've never denied insulting people or treating them disrespectfully. But I very rarely initiate that style of discussion.

And you most certainly did intend to insult me.

43 minutes ago, Argus said:

But I very rarely initiate that style of discussion.

Bullshit.

And you most certainly did intend to insult me.

Your ability to read minds is astounding.  One wonders why you aren't out solving the world's problems since you have such talent in ascertaining the true motivations and thoughts of absolutely everyone.  Or at least making a killing among the gullible who believe that sort of claptrap.

• Like 1