Why Trust the Bible?

betsy

On 6/30/2017 at 4:08 PM, JamesHackerMP said:

Actually, the landmasses expanded and contracted several times, to be precise.  But I'm sure you were implying that.

Read:

On time scales lasting hundreds of millions of years, the supercontinents have assembled and broken apart. Roughly 750 Mya (million years ago), one of the earliest known supercontinents, Rodinia, began to break apart. The continents later recombined to form Pannotia, 600–540 Mya, then finally Pangaea, which also broke apart 180 Mya.[71    (Wikipedia, "Earth")

:rolleyes:

Rodinia (from the Russian "Родина", ródina, meaning "The Motherland")[2] is a Neoproterozoic supercontinent that was assembled 1.3–0.9 billion years ago and broke up 750–633 million years ago.[3][not in citation given] Valentine & Moores 1970 were probably the first to recognise a Precambrian supercontinent, which they named 'Pangaea I'

According to J.D.A. Piper, Rodinia is one of two models for the configuration and history of the continental crust in the latter part of Precambrian times. The other is Paleopangea, Piper's own concept.[18] Piper proposes an alternative hypothesis for this era and the previous ones. This idea rejects that Rodinia ever existed as a transient supercontinent subject to progressive break-up in the latter part of Proterozoic times and instead that this time and earlier times were dominated by a single, persistent "Paleopangaea" supercontinent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodinia

James, whatever the name is......there was one supercontinent and one ocean!   Which is compatible with the biblical verse.  That's the point.

On 6/30/2017 at 4:08 PM, JamesHackerMP said:

I'm assuming you mean animal species mostly.  They're actually not called "asexual" but "hermaphroditic".  Asexual reproduction is typically observed in single-celled organisms.  But maybe you actually single-celled organisms when you said "asexual".  I'm sure that's what you meant, though.

You're scrambling to google something - anything - in an attempt to discredit what I say.  You don't even bother to find out more about what you gather from the internet.  But, they're all coming back like pies splattering to your face. 

Given the posts that you'd just made.....I guess we can conclude that......

............you don't know what you're talking about.

Edited by betsy

Earlier, we talked about one land mass (super continent) and one super ocean.

The Creator has intimate knowledge of His creation, another evidence is given to indicate the divine inspiration of the Bible, by revealing detailed knowledge of the physical world that was not understood by ‘science’ until many centuries, if not millennia, later.

THE FORMATION OF CONTINENT(S)

Genesis 1

9 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.

10 And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.

Psalm 104

5 Who laid the foundations of the earth, that it should not be removed for ever.

6 Thou coveredst it with the deep as with a garment: the waters stood above the mountains.

7 At thy rebuke they fled; at the voice of thy thunder they hasted away.

8 They go up by the mountains; they go down by the valleys unto the place which thou hast founded for them.

Since earth was already created, so was land. However, land was covered with water.  If land was covered with water, how can water go up by mountains and go down by the valleys, unless land itself, started moving?

The verse seems to describe the formation of continents through some form of tectonic activity.

This is compatible with science's explanation about the formation of earth's surface.

According to the theory of plate tectonics, Earth's crust is composed of a number of individual plates that change shape and position over time. Geophysical evidence indicates that the face of Earth's surface has changed significantly since its initial formation and that the plates on which the continents are located are in constant motion.

https://www.pbslearningmedia.org/resource/ess05.sci.ess.earthsys.lp_platetectonics/plate-tectonics/#.WVpF_OmQzIV

Edited by betsy

Betsy you seem to keep going back and forth over the same points, even after we've already said we disagree with you, and that it's unlikely we're going to be convinced otherwise since we look at it a little differently than you do.

I'm only saying that, no matter what you want to quote, the Bible wasn't intended to teach science.  I'm going to rest my case on that.

2 minutes ago, JamesHackerMP said:

Betsy you seem to keep going back and forth over the same points, even after we've already said we disagree with you, and that it's unlikely we're going to be convinced otherwise since we look at it a little differently than you do.

I'm only saying that, no matter what you want to quote, the Bible wasn't intended to teach science.  I'm going to rest my case on that.

Bye, James. 

Well, this is interesting.

Genesis 1

20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.

21 And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

22 And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth.

Abundantly. They were created in great abundance.

The fossil record confirms that there was a great introduction of bird and mammal species at the start of the tertiary age.

There Was a Big Bang for Birds

http://time.com/3631609/big-bang-for-birds/

Sudden abundance of birds!

The Tertiary Period:

The Age Of Mammals Begins

The Tertiary Was For The Birds

Birds did almost as well as mammals during the Tertiary Period.

Many of the birds we know today were present. There were also many large flightless birds that are now extinct. These birds did particularly well before the mammals developed so many species.

http://www.fossils-facts-and-finds.com/tertiary_period.html

Edited by betsy

Just so to be clear:  I don't believe in evolution.

To those who are at a lost as to why science and evolution are being used - I'm using science to show that even with scientific CONJECTURES about origin - the Bible seems flexible that it reaches out even to those who make such conjectures. 

The conjectures, somehow match up with some Biblical passages.   The Bible reaches out in the terms scientists know - that's why  some scientists  ended up converting.

Edited by betsy

14 minutes ago, Goddess said:

Not flexible - vague.

It's vague enough that you can make it mean anything you want it to.

Seeing "Tertiary Period" is an outdated term...betsy's "science" hovers somewhere around 1850.

;)

The better defined current term is called the Quaternary Period which extends back about 2.6 million years. Well beyond the Bible's claimed 6,000 or so years for the Earth's age. This is again broken-down into the the Pleistocene and Holocene epochs. We're in the Holocene....roughly beginning when we started recording the odd thing...about 12,000 years ago. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene

And if the faithful start adopting elements of science in an effort to explain-away the Bible's contradictions, we have a condition called "God of the Gaps" where the God's "magic" is reduced to an ever shrinking circle...getting a bit smaller with each actual cosmic revelation brought forth via the scientific method.

Plus, as demonstrated in the other thread on this subject, the faithful rarely understand the various "scientific proofs of God" that they bandy-about. It reminds me of putting actors into lab-coats to sell medicine...et al.

As one of my great influences, Dr Richard Feynaman said: "It doesn't matter how beautiful your 'guess' is (hypothesis), or how smart you are, or who made the guess or what his/her name is...if your guess disagrees with experiment...it is WRONG."

Here he is saying it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL6-x0modwY

1 hour ago, DogOnPorch said:

Seeing "Tertiary Period" is an outdated term...betsy's "science" hovers somewhere around 1850.

;)

The better defined current term is called the Quaternary Period which extends back about 2.6 million years. Well beyond the Bible's claimed 6,000 or so years for the Earth's age. This is again broken-down into the the Pleistocene and Holocene epochs. We're in the Holocene....roughly beginning when we started recording the odd thing...about 12,000 years ago. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene

Tertiary is the term used by science for that specific period.  Check out the new system in my source. 

They're periods, DOP!

The Tertiary Period marks the beginning of the Cenozoic Era. It began 65 million years ago and lasted more than 63 million years, until 1.8 million years ago. The Tertiary is made up of 5 epochs :

• The Paleocene Epoch - 65 to 54 million years ago
  • The Eocene Epoch - 54 to 38 million years ago
  • The Oligocene Epoch - 38 to 24 million years ago
  • The Miocene Epoch - 24 to 5 million years ago
  • The Pliocene Epoch- 5 to 1.8 million years ago

Each epoch has unique characteristics for climate and geography. The plants and animals changed from epoch to epoch also.

In the early 1800’s a system for naming geologic time labeled only four periods. They were named using the Latin forms of numbers for first, second, third and fourth. The word tertiary means “third.” It was the third period in this system. Today, we use a different system, but the name Tertiary is still common for the first part of the Cenozoic Era. 

• Today’s system looks like this:

Edited by betsy

Again, the "Tertiary Period" is a 19th century term and was replaced with the much better globally defined Quaternary Period...which is part of the Cenozoic Era. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternary

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tertiary

The word, Tertiary, still enjoys wide use by non-geologists (etc), however.

Including yourself. :)

4 minutes ago, betsy said:

Anyway.....no need to get all excited about that. 

Did I give it officially as an evidence?   I  said, it looks interesting....:lol:

You've just discovered that birds had a period of dominance in Earth's history? That's great. Before them, there were giant reptiles called Dinosaurs....some of them flew and evolved into birds.

One of my personal favorites...flightless Phorusrhacos. From around 20 MILLION years ago. A bit before your incestuous Adam and Eve with all their universal DNA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phorusrhacos

8 foot tall on average...

On 7/4/2017 at 4:34 AM, betsy said:

Just so to be clear:  I don't believe in evolution.

To those who are at a lost as to why science and evolution are being used - I'm using science to show that even with scientific CONJECTURES about origin - the Bible seems flexible that it reaches out even to those who make such conjectures. 

The conjectures, somehow match up with some Biblical passages.   The Bible reaches out in the terms scientists know - that's why  some scientists  ended up converting.

The bible has always been "flexible". It has to be to accommodate the incredibly flexible minds people need to believe the crap within. 

1 hour ago, hot enough said:

The bible has always been "flexible". It has to be to accommodate the incredibly flexible minds people need to believe the crap within. 

If that's your counter-argument......then, everything must be going well over your head.

Edited by betsy

18 minutes ago, betsy said:

If that's your counter-argument......then, everything must be going well over your head.

That's hilarious, coming from a "christian", Betsy.

Christians believe in fantasies, they always have, their whole world is a fantasy. They stroke each others fantasies like horses doing mutual grooming, only what horses do has a meaning, a purpose, a benefit.

It isn't intended to brainwash as your mutual grooming is.

Edited by hot enough

10 minutes ago, hot enough said:

That's hilarious, coming from a "christian", Betsy.

Christians believe in fantasies, they always have, their whole world is a fantasy. They stroke each others fantasies like horses doing mutual grooming, only what horses do has a meaning, a purpose, a benefit.

It isn't intended to brainwash as your mutual grooming is.

The Creator has intimate knowledge of His creation, another evidence is given to indicate the divine inspiration of the Bible, by revealing detailed knowledge of the physical world that was not understood by ‘science’ until many centuries, if not millennia, later.

The Bible Describes The Correct Order of Creation

Day-Age interpretation means that each day in Genesis 1 is actually a long period of time during which God had created life.

This interpretation of Genesis 1 is not figuratively in any way, and is astoundingly consistent with scientific findings/ theory. Read the article given below for the interpretation.

At its foundation is a literal translation of the Hebrew word, "yom," which can mean a twelve hour period of time, a twenty-four hour period of time, or a long, indefinite period of time.

God has not revealed the entire creation process, but only those that are particularly relevant to mankind.

The interpretation presented here is based upon the creation accounts found throughout the entire Bible (Job, Psalms, Proverbs, etc.1) as it relates to God's creation of the heavens and the Earth, and is consistent with all the biblical texts in addition to the revelations of science.

Day-Age Genesis Interpretation

More......

Does Genesis One Conflict with Science? Day-Age Interpretation

9 minutes ago, betsy said:

God has not revealed the entire creation process, but only those that are particularly relevant to mankind.

Yup, he smites/strikes down any scientists who get ahead of him revealing his creation process. These revelations only come thru Haggard, Jim Jones, ... or the war criminal Billy Graham and are passed on to worthy young men and women in trysts had in public washrooms around the USA. 

Go and spread my seed, unnnnuunnnn, message child to the people of the world!