Why Trust the Bible?

betsy

3 hours ago, dialamah said:

Between 800 - 1100 AD, Islam was the center of research and scientific discovery.  We benefit today with Arabic numerals, algebra and algorithms among others.  They also studied the universe, which is why so many stars have ended up with Arabic names.   In 1100, that all stopped.  Why?   Because a follower of Islam decided that all glory should be given to Allah, that mathematics was the work of the devil.   So, scientific investigation stopped and we see where Islam is today.

In the 21st century, there is a significant push to teach 'intelligent design' in the schools of America and to present evolution as a theory against which creationism holds equal validity.   The anti-science movement has become a problem that is killing people, especially children, as "natural remedies" are chosen over medicine and vaccines are considered poison.  The States, formerly a powerhouse of scientific advancement, now has at it's helm people who are scientifically illiterate and dismissive of science in general.  

I don't trust God, whether he is called Lord, Allah or Yaweh, because he holds people back - to their detriment.   Magic instead of knowledge, myths over truth, judgment and oppression over tolerance and freedom - that is the legacy of religion.   No religion is free from this; given power, it's first order of business is to eliminate opposition, especially ideas that contradict their myths.    Those who claim that Christianity is 'different' ignore history and they also ignore the example in the States where the current "Christian" administration is following in the path of Islam, 1000 years ago, attacking science and scientific institutions.

Notwithstanding the fact that many religious people are decent, loving, tolerant and pro-science, I sincerely hope there comes a day when humanity leaves every form of "God" in the dust.

Sam Harris on Islam's Golden Age

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I2WyY_R_hA

• Like 1

Ok a couple of things:

1-to Eye: drugs or no drugs you remain a crazy bastard;

2-to Blackbird: the passage you refer to as we Jews being chosen is not interpreted by we Jews to mean we are God's favourite people-all it means is

we entered into a covenant or promise-we promised to remember him as a collective, God promised to communicate back to us as a collective identity.

Its a faith promise-its a concept that was used to create a collective identity at a time when Hebrews were not united and faced attacks from external tribes trying o wipe them out as well as internal disputes and disunity. You have to go on to read the Talmud and religious commentaries to get clarification that it only refers to a promise of worship we entered into with God. It does not mean we were God's favourite just that we entered into a covenant. The Talmud clearly states people of all religions are equal in the face of God and this is why we don't convert people or proseltyze;

3-to Dialamah, people such as me and many others define God as a physics equation standing for infinite energy movement and transformation and we see the Bible as having many meanings including codes for the Atom, energy movement, etc.-i.e., God is a math equation in that abstract sense-I don't myself see math and God and science opposite to one another but echos of one another-the God concept you talk of yes is a harsh one and used for wars and all kinds of crap but not your God-you don't use your God like that so I would say geez don't give up your God-your spirit centre, your inner balance, your sense there is something bigger than you you are attached to, your belief that life and nature is something you and I are plugged into and can help grow or injure, etc.-don't let the way God is used by many depress you- yah some people  turn that God concept into horror-not you;

4-Besty all the Hon. Mr. Hacker I believe is saying is that the three of us look at the same painting and may see 3 different things but it doesn't mean we have to only see the same thing-why? Who says art is only supposed to have one meaning? The whole point is when Monsieur Hacker says, Mr. Rue that is a bull's testacle and I say, uh no Monsieur Hacker that is Salvador Dali's eye ball, and then you say uh no gentleman that is the aura of an angel, we all then can stand to the side while some child comes by and says, uh no I just placed by gum there for a second while I was drinking my water, I think I'll take it back.

I don't know this religious talk can get sad. Some people fear religion now because of how its used as a weapon. It always has been. Its simply a reflection of the thoughts of the day. What we reflect has equal parts evil and good I think. Its all in what you choose to see.

On that note the scariest version of the image of  God I ever saw was in the mirror.

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎24 at 8:44 PM, Omni said:

People fear death and the concept of the great beyond, so they grasp the bible, the koran, the torah, or whatever to try and allay those fears. If it works for them then that's fine. Just don't try and shove your form of garbage down others throats. 

....unless of course you are a Muslim at a swearing in ceremony for Canadian citizenship.

You are so full of it. You are all for shoving certain religious views of what is tolerant down people's throats as long as you get to choose which ones to shove.. .loved the two face talk..you start with that lame phony insincere liberal message of that's just fine, then in the very next breath show what a bigot you are and you don't think its fine by calling what you call fine  garbage. Two faced liberalism. Say one thing through phony gritted smiling teeth, but believe the exact opposite.

Oh I got your number Omni and no I won't join your club.

" I hate Liberal gatherings. A room full of clenched buttoxes bugs the crap out of  me."

Rue 2333 

3 minutes ago, Rue said:

....unless of course you are a Muslim at a swearing in ceremony for Canadian citizenship.

You are so full of it. You are all for shoving certain religious views of what is tolerant down people's throats as long as you get to choose which ones to shove.. .loved the two face talk..you start with that lame phony insincere liberal message of that's just fine, then in the very next breath show what a bigot you are and you don't think its fine by calling what you call fine  garbage. Two faced liberalism. Say one thing through phony gritted smiling teeth, but believe the exact opposite.

Oh I got your number Omni and no I won't join your club.

" I hate Liberal gatherings. A room full of clenched buttoxes bugs the crap out of  me."

Rue 2333 

I don't shove religious views down anybody's throat. I think my post was quite clear on that. 

And you're sounding more and more like taxme everyday. 

On 2017-06-24 at 5:44 PM, Omni said:

People fear death and the concept of the great beyond, so they grasp the bible, the koran, the torah, or whatever to try and allay those fears. If it works for them then that's fine. Just don't try and shove your form of garbage down others throats. 

Nobody is shoving anything down anyone's throat or forcing anyone to believe anything.  One would have to be God to have that power.

I'm not sure why anybody would get bent out of shape by someone else's comments.  Reading is strictly voluntary.  Take it or leave it.

8 hours ago, Rue said:

4-Besty all the Hon. Mr. Hacker I believe is saying is that the three of us look at the same painting and may see 3 different things but it doesn't mean we have to only see the same thing-why?

We're not talking about art.  We're talking science.

Would you have another way of seeing......and have any other explanation about gravity, as an example? Or why we have night and day?

I think you better review my posts.  You and James are missing the logic behind the argument.

Edited by betsy

18 hours ago, eyeball said:

That's easy, its because of the often abhorrent way people who love him behave.

surprised-smiley-emoticon.png

Do you hate all parents with children who commit crimes? 

You're laying the blame on all parents for the crimes of their children?

Edited by betsy

7 hours ago, Omni said:

When I speak about separating church from state I speak for the majority, not just myself.

Create your own topic!  This thread is not about separation of state and church. 

You can speak for all the majority about anything  you want.....

....................but you're not going to do it on this thread! 

Edited by betsy

7 hours ago, Omni said:

Therefore you can prattle on about the bible at your leisure.

He can prattle on about the Bible at his own leisure.......because he's on the thread about the Bible!  

Check the title of this topic!   For crying out loud, you are in Philosophy section -  and in philosophical discussions, you're expected to use REASON! 

Reason

a. The capacity for logical, rational, and analytic thought; intelligence: "Most of us would like to believe that when we say something is right or wrong, we are using our powers of reason alone" (Carl Zimmer).

Having common sense, is the most basic requirement for this section! 
You feel the discussion here is offensive to you, you feel the pressure, you getting hot around your collar and you're getting palpitations, you think things are being shoved down your throat...........then,  use your common sense!
GET OUT!

Now.....stop derailing this thread!   

Edited by betsy

1 hour ago, betsy said:

We're not talking about art.  We're talking science.

Would you have another way of seeing......and have any other explanation about gravity, as an example? Or why we have night and day?

I think you better review my posts.  You and James are missing the logic behind the argument.

Wow you claim to understand God and can't see the infinite process of creativity that fuels the "God"  concept in the Bible? Really? Say it aint so.

It could be you have gravity to give you something to hold on to so you can then try to earn to let go. Work with that one. We can deal with darkness and light another time but here is a hint they do cross over at points and become somewhere in between at evening and morning sun rise.. Ever wonder why people overhwlemed with sadness laugh and overhwhelmed with joy cry? 

Oh  come on give it a try. You talk of God like you can hold on to jello. Good luck.

" there's always some wise guy in the audience trying to scream out the punch line..that's why I do slap stick as well.."

Red Skelton

"ultimately God is whatever you want it to be if you simply be quiet and hand me that bottle.."

W.C. Fields

" she insists the colour is yellow, I don't care what the colour is, I just know the diaper needs to be changed..."

Rue 2017.11111111

Edited by Rue

3 hours ago, Rue said:

Wow you claim to understand God and can't see the infinite process of creativity that fuels the "God"  concept in the Bible? Really? Say it aint so.

It could be you have gravity to give you something to hold on to so you can then try to earn to let go. Work with that one. We can deal with darkness and light another time but here is a hint they do cross over at points and become somewhere in between at evening and morning sun rise.. Ever wonder why people overhwlemed with sadness laugh and overhwhelmed with joy cry? 

Oh  come on give it a try. You talk of God like you can hold on to jello. Good luck.

" there's always some wise guy in the audience trying to scream out the punch line..that's why I do slap stick as well.."

Red Skelton

"ultimately God is whatever you want it to be if you simply be quiet and hand me that bottle.."

W.C. Fields

" she insists the colour is yellow, I don't care what the colour is, I just know the diaper needs to be changed..."

Rue 2017.11111111

I don't understand your point.  You're comparing art with science - in having different way of seeing it! 

Artistic interpretation isn't comparable with scientific facts!  Thus I gave gravity as an example.

Do you have any other explanation for gravity?  Why don't you answer the question?

Edited by betsy

7 hours ago, betsy said:

I don't understand your point.  You're comparing art with science - in having different way of seeing it! 

Artistic interpretation isn't comparable with scientific facts!  Thus I gave gravity as an example.

Do you have any other explanation for gravity?  Why don't you answer the question?

Science does not have the answer .. yet.  That's how this science thing works. You do repeated experiments that can consistently give you the same results via the same processes. You don't first have and answer and work backwards from it.   So far the correct answer (and more humbling answer as being humble is a trait God likes hehhehehe) is that we do not yet know how gravity works.

15 hours ago, betsy said:

You can speak for all the majority about anything  you want.....

....................but you're not going to do it on this thread! 

I'm sorry Betsy, who died and appointed you Pope?

15 hours ago, betsy said:

Now.....stop derailing this thread!   

I think you've done a pretty good job of derailing it yourself.  I respect the fact that other people have a different view than me.  However, you don't have to present your own views with such smugness.  That won't spread the word of Jesus Christ, the good news, or save souls.  It only turns people off.  When making an argument, especially a religious one, it's best to keep in mind that you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.  You're trying to shove pseudo-scientific arguments down our throats, and when we have the awful temerity to disagree with you, we're either idiots or somehow un-Christian.  And on that note:

Why do you notice the splinter in your brother's eye, but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove that splinter from your eye,' while the wooden beam is in your own eye? You hypocrite, remove the wooden beam from your eye first; then you will see clearly to remove the splinter from your brother's eye.  (Matthew 7:3-5)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Omni said:

Jesus Christ apparently. 

You'd think, lol.  Actually, my knuckles are starting to hurt! The Mother Superior of the Convent of the Visitation of Maple Leaf Web is at it with the yard stick again! (Anyone who went to Catholic school would know what I'm talking about, e.g., yard sticks and nuns, lol)

Edited by JamesHackerMP

21 minutes ago, Omni said:

And I really need to educate myself on the use of imoji's more up to date. :wub::lol: Where does Betsy get all those fancy buggers?

Maybe there is one with a halo over a smiley face? Tres appropeau, n'est-ce pas?

You know something I am curious about regarding the interpretation of the Bible? The Old Testament is the Jewish Canon---why do so many Christian clerics go around interpreting it for everyone like they're actually rabbis? Has anyone bothered to ask a rabbi what it means to the people who are actually the same religion as the divinely inspired authors what wrote it?

Edited by JamesHackerMP