The U.S. Launched 59 Cruise Missiles against an airfield in Syria .

The U.S. launched 59 Tomahawk Cruise missiles against a Syrian airfield after notifying the Russians the attack would be coming, enabling everyone to get out of the airfield in time.  This was in reaction to the chemical gas attacks against men, women, and children a few days ago.  News reports say it is to send a message to Assad not to do it again.  Canada PM announced Canada supports this action.

What happens next in Syria? 

Edited by Michael Hardner
spelling

5 minutes ago, blackbird said:

What happens next in Syria? 

Seems to me the ball is now in Assad's and Putin's court. What I'm anxious to learn is whether evidence is found that the Russians bombed the hospital treating sarin gas attack victims in order to erase evidence of Assad's war crime.

Here's a question: What incentive would Assad or the Syrian army have to use chemical weapons? And why did they wait so many years before using them?

Which group benefits the most from using chemical weapons? Assad and the Syrian army? Or the 'moderate rebels'?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, -1=e^ipi said:

USA has made lots of nonsense claims in the past such as Sadam Hussein having weapons of mass destruction.

I think the intelligence community is littered with confirmation bias, making it unreliable.

Chemical wpns are classified as wpns of mass destruction....And the US coalition found thousands of chemical devices, mass production sites..... 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, -1=e^ipi said:

USA has made lots of nonsense claims in the past such as Sadam Hussein having weapons of mass destruction.

I think the intelligence community is littered with confirmation bias, making it unreliable.

To me it's more of the 'fake news' we see. They lie to help the military achieve their goals.

5 minutes ago, -1=e^ipi said:

Here's a question: What incentive would Assad or the Syrian army have to use chemical weapons? And why did they wait so many years before using them?

See Ghouta sarin gas attack in 2013.   Consensus is that the Syrian government used rockets to attack rebels and civilians.

So this is not the first time the Assad regime has been implicated in chemical weapons attacks.

The incentive was/is preservation of power in Syria against opposition forces.

Which group benefits the most from using chemical weapons? Assad and the Syrian army? Or the 'moderate rebels'?

Assad.   Syria has long maintained chemical weapons stores for defense against superior Israeli military assets, not just rebels.

1 minute ago, Army Guy said:

Chemical wpns are classified as wpns of mass destruction....And the US coalition found thousands of chemical devices, mass production sites..... 

And they also noted that those sites were not used in a very long time when they were discovered.

OH remeber those mobile chemical trucks that turned out to be false? Powell_UN_Iraq_presentation,_alleged_Mob

10 minutes ago, -1=e^ipi said:

There are dozens of recorded uses of Chemical wpns , by at least 3 different groups in syria one being the Syrian regular army, groups loyal to assad, and the rebel group....and it has not been years....since the last attack....

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, -1=e^ipi said:

Here's a question: What incentive would Assad or the Syrian army have to use chemical weapons?

Assad is a madman. He doesn't need incentive to kill his own people. The Syrian army is there to carry out the madman's orders lest they suffer the same fate as those he executed.

And why did they wait so many years before using them?

Why does a madman wait to do anything. Your guess is as good as mine. I would say that Assad knew that Russia had his back and would be there to help him out of the pickle they caused by killing civilians.

Just now, Army Guy said:

There are dozens of recorded uses of Chemical wpns , by at least 3 different groups in syria one being the Syrian regular army, groups loyal to assad, and the rebel group....and it has not been years....since the last attack....

So you claim Assad, his forces and also the rebels are using chemical weapons , don't use wpn anymore. Use the right words here.

The line was drawn last time that the claim of chemical weapons were used in Syria.  Nothing happened. But nice distraction from what's going on in Iraq with the failure to push ISIS out of Mosul Iraq.

3 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

See Ghouta sarin gas attack in 2013.   Consensus is that the Syrian government used rockets to attack rebels and civilians.

I don't care what the 'consensus' is. Show me the evidence. Prove Syria did it and not the 'rebels'.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

There are dozens of recorded uses of Chemical wpns

Yes. Now prove the Syrian government did it. I'm not disputing that chemical weapons were used. I just don't know who they were used by, and I see no good evidence to conclude that Assad did it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, capricorn said:

Assad is a madman. He doesn't need incentive to kill his own people.

Yes... Assad's the madman. Not the crazy organ-eating fighters of ISIS who kill basically all non-Sunni muslims and will happily blow themselves up so they can get their 72 virgins.

I don't buy it.

But if you have evidence beyond just blindly believing Western propaganda then please present it.

• Like 1

Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

Prove it was the rebels and not Assad regime...easy game to play.

Maybe it was the rebels, maybe it was Assad. I don't know. I'm not the one going 'Oh it's definately Assad, therefore we need Western countries to overthrow Assad so that we can create a power vacuum for the Islamists to take over the country'.

2 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

And they also noted that those sites were not used in a very long time when they were discovered.

OH remeber those mobile chemical trucks that turned out to be false? Powell_UN_Iraq_presentation,_alleged_Mob

Are you suggesting that NO chemical wpns were found in Iraq.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2793452/u-s-troops-did-chemical-weapons-iraq-pentagon-kept-secret-discovery-5-000-warheads-shells-saddam-hussein-s-abandoned-weapons-program-hushed-soldiers-injured.html

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/14/world/middleeast/us-casualties-of-iraq-chemical-weapons.html?_r=0

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-chemical-weapons-iraq-2014-10

Just now, -1=e^ipi said:

Maybe it was the rebels, maybe it was Assad. I don't know. I'm not the one going 'Oh it's definately Assad, therefore we need Western countries to overthrow Assad so that we can create a power vacuum for the Islamists to take over the country'.

Doesn't matter...the Assad regime failed to control their chemical weapons stores either way.   

Syria and the Russians were suppose to declare and destroy stockpiles years ago.

9 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

So you claim Assad, his forces and also the rebels are using chemical weapons , don't use wpn anymore. Use the right words here.

The line was drawn last time that the claim of chemical weapons were used in Syria.  Nothing happened. But nice distraction from what's going on in Iraq with the failure to push ISIS out of Mosul Iraq.

Yep. ISIS is losing ground. Assad is winning in Syria. So after years of fighting, Assad is suddenly going to use chemical weapons to give the USA and other countries a reason to intervene?

Or maybe ISIS did it cause then they use the West to fight Assad so that they can fill the power vacuum.

I agree, it doesn't make sense.

Edited by -1=e^ipi