A different kind of troll

Argus

12 hours ago, The_Squid said:

This board definitely welcomes crackpots and Breitbart types.   They go well together.

It is an issue. I don't even care to really make threads anymore because I know there are certain people on here that will trash a thread up in a couple pages making the effort pointless.

IN comparison,  I got crapped on from Rue in the 'Israel has fun with terrorism?' thread I created. It was seen as Jew bating. Really it's just Rue having no control and thinking there is bait to bite. That's more of a problem for Rue than me, but well we all have to see it. Rue is not debating, or having a conversation, well not with me anyways. Most of my posts are met with complete vitriol from him. But is totally nice to others who never questions anything Israel.  Rue does not want to debate, just wants to throw out the 'never be a victim again', but ends up getting in the way to bash and then when pushed back, claims to be a victim of 'anti-semetism'.

I also made the post about Rethinking Canadian sales to the Saudis. And Rue got in there and started shitting it up right away.  I mean I cannot fucking win at all here.

There are some good conversations, but nothing near like it used to be some years ago.  I've been a member of this board for over 10 years now, and well, it's a shadow of it's former self. 

Often I've had my words twisted so out of the original meaning and in many cases out of context, that the replying member attributes things to my post that were never mentioned.  Why would that take place for any other purpose than to troll??  Ignoring it does not make it go away.  Greg seemed upset that he even thinks I am trolling him and the moderation now. But it's not trolling, it's asking them, begging them, to deal with the absolute asshatery that has taken place here with certain members.

The problem is not me.

• Like 1

Why do you guys feed/respond to that which you want suppressed?

On 8/9/2017 at 11:55 AM, betsy said:

We do have a troll.  A different kind of troll.  Please read the other topic, On Insults - and that particular thread Venezuela.

No, it is not that exciting. It is all a question of perception. Nobody knows everything but most of yous think you do. 

You all have your own individual chips on your shoulders, your own pet peeves and your own pet rocks to protect.  The whole premise of the OP is absurd. As a Support question, it is worse. 

On 8/10/2017 at 1:16 PM, Charles Anthony said:

Why do you guys feed/respond to that which you want suppressed?

No, it is not that exciting. It is all a question of perception. Nobody knows everything but most of yous think you do. 

You all have your own individual chips on your shoulders, your own pet peeves and your own pet rocks to protect.  The whole premise of the OP is absurd. As a Support question, it is worse. 

Some have bigger chips than others.  

1 hour ago, hot enough said:

Argus, quoting the US "intelligence" community whose total raison d' etre is propaganda as his favored source. You can't make this stuff up. 

Don't you quote them sometimes?  I seem to remember something by the CIA in one or ten of your posts.

Flame trolling

Flame trolling is the posting of a provocative or offensive message, known as "flamebait",[15] to a public Internet discussion group, such as a forum, newsgroup or mailing list, with the intent of provoking an angry response (a "flame") or argument.

Posted flamebait can provide the poster with a controlled trigger-and-response setting in which to anonymously engage in conflicts and indulge in aggressive behavior without facing the consequences that such behavior might bring in a face-to-face encounter, a fact parodied in a YouTube video by Isabel Fay.[16] In other instances, flamebait may be used to reduce a forum's use by angering the forum users.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaming_(Internet)#Flame_trolling

There are times when "flamers" run out of original trolling material and will repeat the same message incessantly. They are easy to spot. The best response is to see it for what it is...lame comedy.

2 hours ago, capricorn said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaming_(Internet)#Flame_trolling

There are times when "flamers" run out of original trolling material and will repeat the same message incessantly. They are easy to spot. The best response is to see it for what it is...lame comedy.

It's not even comedy. It's lame yes, but not comedy.

This place has never actually dealt with trolls.  It's, as I've suggested privately to Charles and MH, probably why membership is so small.  In the last year or so, I've seen troll posts from some of the mods even.  You can say, "ignore it and move on", but when you start seeing post after post from somebody who clearly should be institutionalized of has an IQ under 60, eventually, you just start ignoring everything until you just ignore the thread altogether.  I'll agree that everyone has their schtick, but there are some posters who actually post 1000's of times and yet never once add anything, challenge anything or even bring a personal perspective.  It's tiring to see someone write a thoughtful (from either side) post and show the opposing side to an issue only to be met with the "big 4" conversation killers, you're a racist, islamaphobe, homophobe and misogynist. 

I wonder what a person would write if they couldn't use those 4 insults in the rebuttal?

4 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

It's tiring to see someone write a thoughtful (from either side) post and show the opposing side to an issue only to be met with the "big 4" conversation killers, you're a racist, islamaphobe, homophobe and misogynist. 

Actual insults in this way are few and far between.  I feel that if you're right-wing, you should call out right-wing trolls first and vice versa if you're left-wing.  Don't call them out by name, but point out their fallacies in their posts.  The number one fallacy on both sides is projecting the views of groups (Muslims, police, conservatives) onto individuals.  We're individuals here.

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

Actual insults in this way are few and far between.  I feel that if you're right-wing, you should call out right-wing trolls first and vice versa if you're left-wing.  Don't call them out by name, but point out their fallacies in their posts.  The number one fallacy on both sides is projecting the views of groups (Muslims, police, conservatives) onto individuals.  We're individuals here.

You see, this is why I've always told you that you personally have a problem recognizing trolls.  And, BTW - I've called out trolls on both sides and you've chosen to ban me for flaming.  If the mods did their job, I wouldn't get banned...or if they didn't bother such as we saw a few weeks ago, then yes, we could call them out.  The fact is; calling them out when the mods are active is just asking for a suspension.  I've pleaded with you to talk to a few members, and you've flat out done nothing - where does that leave us? 

It's like in sports, the agitator always gets away, while the retaliation is punished.  This mentality has been ruining hockey for years.

2 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

1. You see, this is why I've always told you that you personally have a problem recognizing trolls.  

2. And, BTW - I've called out trolls on both sides and you've chosen to ban me for flaming.  If the mods did their job, I wouldn't get banned...or if they didn't bother such as we saw a few weeks ago, then yes, we could call them out.  

3. The fact is; calling them out when the mods are active is just asking for a suspension.  I've pleaded with you to talk to a few members, and you've flat out done nothing - where does that leave us? 

4. It's like in sports, the agitator always gets away, while the retaliation is punished.  This mentality has been ruining hockey for years.

1. An actual insult is "you are a troll".  My observation is that the mods will eventually act on such insults.

2. I don't recall ever banning you for flaming.  If you called someone a troll, then yes that is an insult.  Maybe Charles suspended you, I don't know.

3. I don't know what 'mods are active' means.  Also, the mods won't act against personalities but will act on posts.  I'm not moderating, so it's not me you're referring to here.

4. Generally, the worst insulters are dealt with in my observation.

I agree Hal

I''ve had my thread about Saudi Arabia locked, because I highlighted a posters constant abuse and name calling.  And the notion from Charles A. was that I did not want to discuss the topic. How can one discuss anything with posters who always throw out insults? Reporting that does not change it in anyway. I thought I try something different to call it out, but again, no effect on resolving it.

Mods don't even want to ban anyone.

3 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. An actual insult is "you are a troll".  My observation is that the mods will eventually act on such insults.

2. I don't recall ever banning you for flaming.  If you called someone a troll, then yes that is an insult.  Maybe Charles suspended you, I don't know.

3. I don't know what 'mods are active' means.  Also, the mods won't act against personalities but will act on posts.  I'm not moderating, so it's not me you're referring to here.

How many times can I get called an anti-semite without calling that person a troll??

Calling a troll because they are a troll is not an insult. The real insult is that moderation does not want to recognize or deal with the real trolls.

44 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

How many times can I get called an anti-semite without calling that person a troll??

Again, it's a question for Charles not me.  I would report it and move on.

44 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

Calling a troll because they are a troll is not an insult. The real insult is that moderation does not want to recognize or deal with the real trolls.

Yes, it is an insult.  Trolling is subjective, which is why we are lucky to have Charles to weigh in and make an assessment.  The mods do want to deal with trolls, but you have to accept that they won't agree with you all the time.  This is the part that people don't seem to get.

10 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Again, it's a question for Charles not me.  I would report it and move on.

Yes, it is an insult.  Trolling is subjective, which is why we are lucky to have Charles to weigh in and make an assessment.  The mods do want to deal with trolls, but you have to accept that they won't agree with you all the time.  This is the part that people don't seem to get.

How many times can you be called an anti-semite before it is considered trolling? I mean insults are also against the rules, but when the insults are against ME, fuck all is done about it.  I'll use my example of the Saudi Arabia thread I created in the Canada section.

Is calling someone an anti-semite not also an insult? If not, please explain why?  And I know you are in support of Rue and his insults to others. You've clearly shown support for Rue in those threads.

Folks,

Do not quote posts that you want censored. Do not respond to posts that you want censored. If you want a post censored, then report that post and tell us why you want it censored and then ignore it and move on.  If you want a fellow member censored, send us a Personal Message saying so and saying why so and do not converse with that member. 

HINT: The set of "ignore it" actions excludes the "quote it" and the "respond to it" actions.

If the above directives are too difficult to follow, then whatever problem exists lies elsewhere and MLW Support can not help.

If the above directives disagree with you, then go elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, Charles Anthony said:

Folks,

Do not quote posts that you want censored. Do not respond to posts that you want censored. If you want a post censored, then report that post and tell us why you want it censored and then ignore it and move on.  If you want a fellow member censored, send us a Personal Message saying so and saying why so and do not converse with that member. 

HINT: The set of "ignore it" actions excludes the "quote it" and the "respond to it" actions.

If the above directives are too difficult to follow, then whatever problem exists lies elsewhere and MLW Support can not help.

If the above directives disagree with you, then go elsewhere. 

Each time I reported, you did nothing. SO I took matters in my own hands to address the situation. I was hoping for different results, but no, that poster Rue, is able to continue with insulting me and others. 

I have no faith in your ability to moderate anymore.

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

Ok, but then you are complaining as though your expectations are not being met ?  It's confusing.

Actually I am going with the board/moderation expectations which are not being met. 

The reason there is no consistency is because trolling to me seems to be different from their version or 'interpretation' on trolling.  I've reported some pretty bad stuff that got a pass from moderation and I was notified that no action will be taken.

6 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

You see, as long as you don't recognize being called "racist", "sexist", "homophobe" or "islamophobe" "anti-semite" as insults, but then "troll" is an insult, then I think I've made my point.

After seeing your responses as a regular poster, I'm glad you're not moderating!

1 hour ago, Hal 9000 said:

You see, as long as you don't recognize being called "racist", "sexist", "homophobe" or "islamophobe" "anti-semite" as insults, but then "troll" is an insult, then I think I've made my point.

I do recognize those as insults and didn't allow them to get past when I was moderating.  Most people can't make the distinction between calling an idea racist and calling a person racist, though the different isn't that subtle.

1 hour ago, Hal 9000 said:

After seeing your responses as a regular poster, I'm glad you're not moderating!

I'm sorry your feelings are hurt, but as the Stones said you can't always get what you want.  You're welcome for my years of service, too.

On 8/21/2017 at 6:32 PM, Michael Hardner said:

I do recognize those as insults and didn't allow them to get past when I was moderating.  Most people can't make the distinction between calling an idea racist and calling a person racist, though the different isn't that subtle.

I didn't know you weren't moderating anymore.  So who is on the mod staff these days?

On 8/21/2017 at 6:32 PM, Michael Hardner said:

The distinction is so important that recognizing (or not) any of those labels as insults is an irrelevent point. 

On 8/21/2017 at 4:40 PM, Hal 9000 said:

You see, as long as you don't recognize being called "racist", "sexist", "homophobe" or "islamophobe" "anti-semite" as

It does not matter how you or I or anybody recognize any of those labels because our racism, sexism, homophobia, islamophobia, anti-semitism, etc. are not the topics of discussion.   If you encounter thread derailment, please avoid feeding it.  If you encounter a thread derailment that comes in the form of an insult, please do not respond in kind.  If you want an insulting post censored, then please do not add to our workload** by quoting/responding to the same post.   

** It is not a question of workload. 

Back to the topic of this thread. 

I do not see anything different and luckily it does not matter.  If somebody can clearly elucidate what they want mod staff to do with "A different kind of troll" I would appreciate that.