Road Rage

betsy

On 3/9/2017 at 10:18 AM, ?Impact said:

I don't disagree, but it will most likely be aggravated assault. 268 (1) Every one commits an aggravated assault who wounds, maims, disfigures or endangers the life of the complainant.

Yes, it is a maximum of 14 years instead of life but the actual sentence would probably be the same anyway. The minimums for attempted murder are associated with gang crimes and firearms use.

No, his intent was to kill her by repeatedly swinging an iron bar at her head, and he would have killed her had she not defended herself somewhat.  And he has been charged with attempted murder.

2 hours ago, Army Guy said:

Nice, deflection...Not sure why your afraid of surveillance, it is every where in our lives, every where public, the bank machines, the mall , the food stores, hiways,schools , government buildings every where

And this to you is a good thing? 

2 hours ago, Bonam said:

I've got nothing to hide.....i may have the odd beer sitting on my tail gate....but i don't get bent out of shape when driving, to the point i break a women arms, or pepper spray a 2 year old....So ya hook them cameras up....i might give every one time to think about what they are doing....might even save you some money on a insurance claim, maybe even a ticket....

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

My boyfriend and I were talking about this last night.  He asked if I thought people's reaction to this was greater because it was a woman who was attacked.

He feels the fact it was a woman, helped.  I think it was so horrible, it didn't really matter if it was a man or a woman.

1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

I've got nothing to hide.....i may have the odd beer sitting on my tail gate....but i don't get bent out of shape when driving, to the point i break a women arms, or pepper spray a 2 year old....So ya hook them cameras up

Ah yes, the good ole "the innocent have nothing to hide" justification of surveillance, search, torture, etc. I'm a little surprised I'm apparently the only one left on this forum that gives a damn about privacy, individual rights, limitations on state surveillance and state power, etc. Oh well, I guess that's the world we live in now, the ideals upon which Western civilization is built can all be thrown away whenever someone has some emotional incident to respond to. 

7 hours ago, Bonam said:

6 hours ago, eyeball said:

Its an inevitable thing. If anything people should be doing it to protect themselves, especially from the authorities.

It's both inevitable and good.  If we lived in a different time and place it might not be necessary, but it is now.

16 hours ago, Bonam said:

Before I'd say, no.......but the world has changed so much.   Blame technology for that. 

Your own tv can even spy on you, in your own home!  A stranger can even communicate with your child through her baby monitor, while you think her safe in her own bedroom.

Anyway, how many police brutalities would've gone without the world knowing about it had it not been for cameras? You think that's not a good thing?

Edited by betsy

1 hour ago, betsy said:

Before I'd say, no.......but the world has changed so much.   Blame technology for that. 

Your own tv can even spy on you, in your own home!  A stranger can even communicate with your child through her baby monitor, while you think her safe in her own bedroom.

I can't think of anything more boring than spying on me through my TV. I don't think the world has changed so much that that has become interesting.

1 hour ago, BubberMiley said:

I can't think of anything more boring than spying on me through my TV. I don't think the world has changed so much that that has become interesting.

I don't know if anyone would be spying on you - I said, "can.

So you hadn't noticed technology has changed that much.....boy, you really must be boring. :lol:

Edited by betsy

21 hours ago, Bonam said:

Ah yes, the good ole "the innocent have nothing to hide" justification of surveillance, search, torture, etc. I'm a little surprised I'm apparently the only one left on this forum that gives a damn about privacy, individual rights, limitations on state surveillance and state power, etc. Oh well, I guess that's the world we live in now, the ideals upon which Western civilization is built can all be thrown away whenever someone has some emotional incident to respond to. 

Nobody said anything about torture. It's silly hyperbole to suggest because someone doesn't care about cameras on the corner they don't care about torture.

You have no privacy. It's silly to worry about it. Every time you make a purchase that goes into your file at the bank or credit card company or points card company or all of them. They know where you live, and they know what you like, and they know where you shop and eat and  your income level so they can tailor advertising to you and sell that info to others. I get all kinds of catalogs in the mail. My brother gets none. Why? Because of where I live and my income. They all seem to know this somehow.

I've said it before. The state is not what is violating your privacy. Google and Facebook and  Visa and the banks have already done that. Every time you install an app on your phone you give them permission to do everything but give you a proctology exam. People do it anyway a million times a day.

On 3/11/2017 at 3:12 AM, Bonam said:

So since crime levels are at near historic lows, we don't need much surveillance. 

Are they at historical lows or are they on the raise.....perhaps a source that shows 2017 is even lower than 2016

11 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

Are they at historical lows or are they on the raise.....perhaps a source that shows 2017 is even lower than 2016

I don't know about 2017 since we're only on the 3rd month of it but here's a look at historical crime rates. This graph I quickly found stops at 2012 but data is available for 2013, 2014, and 2015 on Statscan's website showing that the trend of decline has continued. Crime peaked in ~1990 and has been on a 25+ year decline since. 

6088481be218e8a83de3123d5010bc8ec4049611

Edited by Bonam

On 2017-03-11 at 1:32 PM, Argus said:

Nobody said anything about torture. It's silly hyperbole to suggest because someone doesn't care about cameras on the corner they don't care about torture.

You have no privacy. It's silly to worry about it. Every time you make a purchase that goes into your file at the bank or credit card company or points card company or all of them. They know where you live, and they know what you like, and they know where you shop and eat and  your income level so they can tailor advertising to you and sell that info to others. I get all kinds of catalogs in the mail. My brother gets none. Why? Because of where I live and my income. They all seem to know this somehow.

I've said it before. The state is not what is violating your privacy. Google and Facebook and  Visa and the banks have already done that. Every time you install an app on your phone you give them permission to do everything but give you a proctology exam. People do it anyway a million times a day.

In Trumpland, The Senate is going made it legal for ISP's to sell an American's browsing history to the highest bidder.

Edited by Wilber

On 3/11/2017 at 1:32 PM, Argus said:

Using every one of those services is optional, and the terms of service are clearly stated. Further, most of these services can be used in such a way so as to obfuscate any meaningful information about oneself, if one feels like doing so. On the other hand, government surveillance is not optional, and in many cases is secret so you do not even know what is being surveilled. 

19 hours ago, Bonam said:

I don't know about 2017 since we're only on the 3rd month of it but here's a look at historical crime rates. This graph I quickly found stops at 2012 but data is available for 2013, 2014, and 2015 on Statscan's website showing that the trend of decline has continued. Crime peaked in ~1990 and has been on a 25+ year decline since. 

6088481be218e8a83de3123d5010bc8ec4049611

Says here that violent crimes is up 20 % since 2003....20 % is a huge jump, that of course is just violent crime....it also says in the bottom link that non violent crime is also up ....so much for the good old days....

http://globalnews.ca/news/2836239/violent-crime-surges-upward-in-canada-for-the-first-time-in-12-years/

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85-002-x/2016001/article/14642-eng.htm

19 hours ago, Bonam said:

Crime peaked in ~1990 and has been on a 25+ year decline since.

It does not say any such thing. It specifically and carefully says "Police reported crime" has declined. Meanwhile, Stats Canada's victim studies have been showing a steady decline in the percentage of crimes that gets reported to police, including assaults, rapes and robberies.

49 minutes ago, Argus said:

Stats Canada's victim studies have been showing a steady decline in the percentage of crimes that gets reported to police, including assaults, rapes and robberies.

So what do you have to say about Sweden then, where their victim studies consistently show about 20 point higher reporting to police?

1 hour ago, ?Impact said:

No, it does not.

It says that violent crime is 31% lower than it was in 2005, and that it is the first increase since 2003.

Here is the first couple of lines in the story.......you be the judge does it say violent crime is up 22 %......So if it is UP....that would be the opposite of Down would it not.....Bonam has posted that crime has been declining since 1990.....and yet 

Police-reported crime in Canada went up last year for the first time in over a decade, Statistics Canada revealed on Wednesday, with particularly startling upswings in violent crime across the country.

The number of attempted murders alone was up 22 per cent year-over-year, the agency said.

Here is the next couple of sentences....which show over all crime was up 5%, another increase so looks like crime is not declining , but rather increasing since 2014.....

Canada’s Crime Severity Index (CSI) and the overall crime rate both grew between 2014 and 2015, with the CSI (an index that measures both the volume and severity of police-reported crime) up 5 per cent.

and while it may still be below the 1990 peak numbers....it is still an increase is it not.....