To The Conservative Party of Canada

betsy

On 2017-02-25 at 4:24 AM, betsy said:

Can our candidates running for leadership please stop sounding like liberals?

Really.....I think most of you are liberals in conservative clothings - or you're now confused about your own stripes.  When I listen to you talk, all I have to do is close my eyes, and I feel like attending a blasted liberal rally!

I know, if you want to have the chance of getting elected in this land, you've got to talk the talk - you've got to sound liberal.  However, how can we ever change things around here if nobody will muster up the courage to say things that only makes sense?  Win or lose, you have to stand up and be conservatives in your visions!

There is a major shifting happening next door, and I don't think I'm imagining things when I say that it's catching on.  You've got to know when to seize the moment.  That's part of a being a great leader.

I think, all conservatives should watch this.  And I think, anyone who's aspiring to be leader of the party should take some lessons from it.

The era of empty talk is over.

The OP from the topic America Under President Trump was revisited.  He`s been doing as he`d promised.

What citizen doesn't glow hearing that he comes first?  That the best interest of his country comes first?

You bet, a lot of everday folks - folks who have no secret agenda -  are secretly wishing our politicians are like Trump.

I agree with you.   But you've got to contact the Conservative MPs and let them know your thoughts.  I think the only reason a lot of them are opposing M103 is because a lot of members contacted them and told them what they thought.  Otherwise they would have probably just gone along with it.

On 2017-03-08 at 7:24 AM, BillyBeaver said:

if you research O'Leary's history in life and business you'll find another silver-spooner that discarded his ethics for money. Not somebody I would want as PM.

Yes.  I don't like the idea of him living in the U.S. and just flying in here to grab the leadership.  A lot of his ideas are haywire too.  I think he even supports carbon taxes.  He could just as easily be a Liberal in a lot of ways.

I heard him say that he doesn't support carbon taxes, he thinks government should set limits and leave it up to industry to meet them, just like was done with vehicle emission controls. Penalties kick in if they aren't met. That way the money stays in the industry for R&D and infrastructure instead of going into general revenue for government. One thing I actually agree with.

Edited by Wilber

5 hours ago, betsy said:

I've got problems with Bernier.  He's a separatist.

I've got problems with him given most media outlets are tracing these phony membership purchases to his campaign. Where did you hear he was a separatist?

5 hours ago, betsy said:

I'm now voting for Leitch.

Leitch has zero charisma and there is zero chance of her beating Trudeau. In fact, a tory party led by her would likely come in third place. I'm thinking Scheer is best.

3 hours ago, Argus said:

I've got problems with him given most media outlets are tracing these phony membership purchases to his campaign. Where did you hear he was a separatist?

My husband read it somewhere that he was a separatist - and he claims to be  proud of that past. 

Leitch has zero charisma and there is zero chance of her beating Trudeau. In fact, a tory party led by her would likely come in third place. I'm thinking Scheer is best.

I'm voting for principle.   I can't vote for liberals - and that's what the rest of them sound like to me. 

Edited by betsy

2 hours ago, betsy said:

:blink:

What ethics did she discard?

If you look at most of the populist policies she has been promoting since September they're things she never spoke of before. Until September she was known to be a very red-Tory. When she realized her campaign was going nowhere after 5 months in the race she decided to bring up screening immigrants and tourists to Canada for anti-Canadian values, which she couldn't even define. She didn't promote the policy until her campaign manager did polling saying it could work for her.

She needed headlines because she was at ~1% in the polls so she started promoting controversial policies that would get her headlines and win support with small factions of the party.

• Like 1

So I went to the trouble of watching a few of these people on video, during the debates, during interviews and giving speeches (all available on You Tube).

No one really stands heads and shoulders above the others. I'd say Bernier is most "prime ministorial' in his look and speaking, but his English is imperfect and he has that cloud around him from his ex girlfriend the biker, plus this new thing about phony memberships. On the other hand, he has some great ideas, and he'd do really well in Quebec.

O'Toole and Scheer seem likeable, and Scheer made a pretty good point in several interviews and speeches about how it was the perception of the party and it's mean attitude, as opposed to their policies, which turned off so many people. He speaks well and he makes sense. But he's 37. He's been speaker, but he's never been a boss and has basically been a politician all his life. Does he have leadership abilities?

O'Toole has the best resume, as a minister, a lawyer, an officer in the military. He too has a likeable manner. It would be hard for anyone to attach the 'mean spirited' label to either him or Scheer. But I think Scheer is a bit better of a speaker, is probably a little more conservative, and really seems to know where he wants to take the party. Yet, there's an attraction in someone who has been in the military as opposed to a life-long politician

O'Leary is a tiger in front of the cameras, but all the old conspiracy theories about 'secret agendas' and all the dislike of tory 'meanness' would attach to him like a magnet. Because, let's face it, he IS mean. He's nasty and argumentative and the hard core people love him because he's hard core, insulting,  impatient and non-compromising. Some of that appeals to me, but as much as I don't mind a PM who can be an SOB that doesn't mean I want one who's heartless, and I haven't seen any sign of a heart in this guy. Adn that goes on top of all the other baggage of not living here, of dubious business history, etc.

I would say if I was going to rank them now it would be a tentative 1) Scheer 2) O'Toole 3) Bernier

11 hours ago, Argus said:

O'Toole and Scheer seem likeable, and Scheer made a pretty good point in several interviews and speeches about how it was the perception of the party and it's mean attitude, as opposed to their policies, which turned off so many people. He speaks well and he makes sense. But he's 37. He's been speaker, but he's never been a boss and has basically been a politician all his life. Does he have leadership abilities?

O'Toole has the best resume, as a minister, a lawyer, an officer in the military. He too has a likeable manner. It would be hard for anyone to attach the 'mean spirited' label to either him or Scheer. But I think Scheer is a bit better of a speaker, is probably a little more conservative, and really seems to know where he wants to take the party. Yet, there's an attraction in someone who has been in the military as opposed to a life-long politician

He may have improved over the last number of months, but I found Scheer struggled in interviews when he first entered the leadership. The night he entered I watched him be interviewed by Rosie Barton, she never asked him any questions that should have come as a surprise but it was like he was caught off guard and didn't know how to answer. He was also using uhhh.. and umm... a lot. He didn't seem to have that issue with the debates though.

O'Toole I've found to be impressive since first becoming a parliamentary secretary several years ago. On political panels at that time he always communicated effectively and didn't come off as a hardcore partisan toeing the party line, like many others. O'Toole and Raitt's resumes are definitely the strongest, although his might be a bit more interesting and diverse. Scheer's resume is my biggest issue with his candidacy, and I won't rank him high on my ballot partly because of it. Conservatives spent years criticizing Trudeau's weak resume and now we're going to put someone in as leader who has really only ever worked in politics and been an MP? Had he spent time as a minister - or even a parliamentary secretary - I'd be more comfortable with him.

While it's important to pick someone who will be a good party leader, we also need someone who would make a good Prime Minister.

• Like 1

There has been criticism within Conservative circles that O'Leary spends a lot of time in the US. As I see it, with O'Leary as leader, the Liberals would have a great opportunity to take revenge over the campaign to paint Ignatieff as "just visiting". For this reason and the fact O'Leary can come across as abrasive and haughty, I wouldn't support him. I can't see him defeating Trudeau.

On 3/18/2017 at 6:52 PM, Newfoundlander said:

If you look at most of the populist policies she has been promoting since September they're things she never spoke of before. Until September she was known to be a very red-Tory. When she realized her campaign was going nowhere after 5 months in the race she decided to bring up screening immigrants and tourists to Canada for anti-Canadian values, which she couldn't even define. She didn't promote the policy until her campaign manager did polling saying it could work for her.

She needed headlines because she was at ~1% in the polls so she started promoting controversial policies that would get her headlines and win support with small factions of the party.

You  have an odd way of looking at things.

Just because she's never spoke of it before? heck, what's wrong with that???   It could very well be that she finally realized that she should stop pandering to the liberals and  stand up for what she believes in, after all everyone sounds like a liberal!   

Being true to yourself -   I wouldn't call that a failing on ethics! :)  In fact, promoting liberal values while identifying yourself as a conservative, is what I'd say "throwing away ethics," BLATANTLY out the window! 

Even if she is indeed a "red tory," what makes her different from all the rest?  Her courage to go the opposite way  - even when she knows her views on immigration aren't popular!   If she was inspired by Trump's win - it shows she's quick on her feet, and willing to take the risk!

Edited by betsy
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, betsy said:

You  have an odd way of looking at things.

Just because she's never spoke of it before? heck, what's wrong with that???   It could very well be that she finally realized that she should stop pandering to the liberals and  stand up for what she believes in, after all everyone sounds like a liberal!   

Being true to yourself -   I wouldn't call that a failing on ethics! :)  In fact, promoting liberal values while identifying yourself as a conservative, is what I'd say "throwing away ethics," BLATANTLY out the window! 

Even if she is indeed a "red tory," what makes her different from all the rest?  Her courage to go the opposite way  - even when she knows her views on immigration aren't popular!   If she was inspired by Trump's win - it shows she's quick on her feet, and willing to take the risk!

Well, you're criticizing Bernier for not have ethics yet the policies he's pushing now are ones he had been promoting as an MP.

Leitch wasn't afraid of immigrants until she found out that people like you would be foolish enough to vote for her if she was.

1 hour ago, Newfoundlander said:

Well, you're criticizing Bernier for not have ethics yet the policies he's pushing now are ones he had been promoting as an MP.

Leitch wasn't afraid of immigrants until she found out that people like you would be foolish enough to vote for her if she was.

I didn't say Bernier has no ethics.

• Downvote 1

19 hours ago, Newfoundlander said:

Oh right, you said that about O'Leary. 

Well anyways if you think Leitch is ethical that's all that matters.

I didn't say O'Leary has no ethics.  Are you okay?

I don't see anything wrong with Leitch's ethics, just because she came out to say what she did about immigration, or that she's changed her position about that, too. 

Aren't you allowed to change your views at some point in your life?  Especially when there are mitigating factors that has emerged that weren't there before?   Who's foolish enough to cling to views that are no longer practical, and in fact are now foolish and reckless to have?

Edited by betsy

• 3 weeks later...