Our Canadian Media Totally Ignored This!

9 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

It is telling that Joe Biden asked Justin Trudeau to be the surviving champion for open borders and very liberal immigration policies.

That's why the Trump Factor is good for Canada.  Surely puts a clamp on that stupidity.

Whether Canadians are willing to accept it or not, we've got two choices:  either dance to Trump's tune.....or find trade elsewhere.

Trudeau had chosen to dance. Best choice for Canada.

Edited by betsy

Just now, betsy said:

That's why the Trump Factor is good for Canada.  Surely puts a clamp on that stupidity.

Not being Canadian, I don't have a good feel for how much political rope Trudeau has to keep pushing more refugees and immigrants, especially from high risk nations that trigger a thicker border. 

Would Canadians famously "boycott" the U.S. to stand with refugees and those denied entry into the United States ?   Some would, but my guess is that more won't.   Canadians want access to the U.S. border.

7 minutes ago, betsy said:

And?

Obviously, we're discussing US-Canada borders!

And the point is this whole agenda of immigration policy is driven by Donald Trump selective ban on 7 Muslim nations. Justin Trudeau whilst he doesn't agree with Trump's policies he didn't come to US to lecture him about this. You are suggesting that US is dictating the terms to Canada concerning the immigration which isn't the case....

So I refer back to the question if it is a Muslim ban by the Trump administration why is it that Saudi Arabia is not on that list? I sure as hell don't think Trudeau sees eye to eye with Trump on this immigration ban.

36 minutes ago, kactus said:

And the point is this whole agenda of immigration policy is driven by Donald Trump selective ban on 7 Muslim nations. Justin Trudeau whilst he doesn't agree with Trump's policies he didn't come to US to lecture him about this. You are suggesting that US is dictating the terms to Canada concerning the immigration which isn't the case....

So I refer back to the question if it is a Muslim ban by the Trump administration why is it that Saudi Arabia is not on that list? I sure as hell don't think Trudeau sees eye to eye with Trump on this immigration ban.

You may not want to accept it....but yes, Trump is dictating the terms upon which the borders will remain easily accessible to Canadians and trade!

Why do you think Trudeau brought up, "looking to improve our immigration system?

Why would our immigration system suddenly needs improvement, when all this time Trudeau's been touting our success with immigration?  :D

The rest of your argument is irrelevant.  It's not an all-Muslim ban....since other Muslim nations have not been banned.  Now, back to topic.

Edited by betsy
  • Like 2

He diplomatically said that US's Immigration policy is their own. JT is awful but he struck the right tone here.

The US media thought he was throwing shade at Trump. Trump must know that this guy isn't a fan of his immigration policy. They have more important things to discuss. 

Edited by Boges

13 minutes ago, Boges said:

He diplomatically said that US's Immigration policy is there own. JT is awful but he struck the right tone here.

The US media thought he was throwing shade at Trump. Trump must know that this guy isn't a fan of his immigration policy. They have more important things to discuss. 

Yes, he handled it well. 

If he did meant that last remark as a dig at Trump - it was, I suppose, in response to Trump's dig.  It was Trump who had thrown the first dig -  the common sense stance - as explained in the OP.

Edited by betsy

2 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

You want to talk about immigration but not talk about immigration?

This isn't about immigration.  It's about security on the US-Canada borders (related to Trudeau's meeting with Trump).

If you want to talk about immigration - create your own thread.

Edited by betsy

8 minutes ago, betsy said:

This isn't about immigration.  It's about security on the US-Canada borders.

Here is how secure the US-Canada border is:

Google Image of the border - 0 Ave.

The road is in Canada.  On the right, across a small ditch is the USA.

When will Canada build a wall to keep out the illegals from the USA?  22 of them in Manitoba alone!!

Edited by The_Squid

14 minutes ago, betsy said:

This isn't about immigration.  It's about security on the US-Canada borders (related to Trudeau's meeting with Trump).

If you want to talk about immigration - create your own thread.

So you wanna talk about border security and not talk about immigration?

50 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

When will Canada build a wall to keep out the illegals from the USA?  22 of them in Manitoba alone!!

Ask Trudeau.  He was the one who tweeted the invitation, and laid out the welcome mat!

What did he expect?  Of course they'll be coming.

Edited by betsy

It appears the topic of this thread is to talk about what the topic of this thread is. My interpretation is it is about slagging the other guy, or at least one persons perception of that.

Regarding border security, my sense of the press conference was there was no discord on that issue from either party. There might be some differences in how they balance between an open society and security, but there is ongoing cooperation on improving border security.

Then again, that is just my opinion. Of course I don`t have a hidden agenda trying to slag Canada.

5 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

It appears the topic of this thread is to talk about what the topic of this thread is. My interpretation is it is about slagging the other guy, or at least one persons perception of that.

Regarding border security, my sense of the press conference was there was no discord on that issue from either party. There might be some differences in how they balance between an open society and security, but there is ongoing cooperation on improving border security.

Then again, that is just my opinion. Of course I don`t have a hidden agenda trying to slag Canada.

I don't think I've said that there is any discord.  There are disagreements - no doubt about that - and there were digs given by both that reflect those disagreements (open borders).  Refer to OP.

The media had mused that Trudeau had managed to give a slight dig at Trump.  That was the first sentence of the OP.  And I'm pointing out what was ignored.

The cooperation on the open borders rest mostly, if not all, on Canada's shoulders.  We have to cooperate with the USA with regards to ensuring that no undesirables manage to get to the USA through Canada.

"We wont' stand for it.  We won't put up with it.  We won't let it happen."

Refer to the video.  Trump spelled out the veiled warning.

Edited by betsy

Just now, betsy said:

...The media had mused that Trudeau had managed to give a slight dig at Trump.  That was the first sentence of the OP.  And I'm pointing out what was ignored.

Agreed....Trudeau can get a lot more mileage out of standing up to Trump on any issue.  This has long been the Canadian tradition vs. U.S. presidents.  The opposite is not so true since most Americans don't really care and are indifferent.  

"Border security" cuts at the very relationship of two bordering nations, as in good fences make for good neighbours. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

What fence?

Yes, there are a lot of place like that. I have in places crossed the 'border', because it was there (a la mountain climber). I didn't actually continue on into the US, but I have walked around the monuments, etc. that define the border. I know one farmer who has a fence behind his house with a gate in it that sits on the border line. The farmer lives in the US, but works fields in Canada (I assume he owns them as well, but it is possible he is just renting them). I assume in this day and age there is some level of monitoring of the border in many of those places, but it might just be the odd camera. More likely there are drone airplanes that are looking for more telltale signs like a car/truck dropping off a bunch of people. Of course there are many rivers and lakes where it is very easy to cross. There are several parks that also cross the border (yes 2 different, but adjoining parks) where you can easily hike/canoe across. The point is that if they do catch you trying to cross without reporting to the local customs house then you will be in big trouble.

Thanks for this bush_cheney:

As U.S. President Donald Trump eyes border security, the Trudeau government is investing millions to offset growing pressures along the Canada-U.S. border, including organized crime and the threat of terrorism.

Following a face-to-face meeting with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in Washington on Monday, Trump was asked whether he considered his country's border with Canada to be secure. He replied: "You can never be totally confident."

While the supplementary estimates were approved by cabinet last week, well before Trump made that comment, the new U.S. president has talked extensively about border security and protecting the United States from terrorist attacks.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/border-security-terrorism-organized-crime-1.3983105

That meeting with Trudeau can all be summed up in a nutshell:  BORDER SECURITY!

No wonder they didn't talk that much - that's what it's all about!  Trade hinges on border security.

That last-minute meeting was just a grace meeting in a diplomatic way  to get Trudeau to save face. 

Edited by betsy

17 hours ago, ?Impact said:

I came here to add my points about things the Canadian media have not reported on, which is the thread title. I  found out Oscar Brand died from reading the New York Times and not from the local Manitoba media in the province where he was born and raised. I was both shocked and appalled.

Edited by BubberMiley