Are we not allowed to edit and or delete our own posts?

Smallc

So, I feel I asked a legitimate question - in light of that:

1 ) Why was my thread closed?  I had follow up questions.

2 ) How many deleted posts is too many?  Did the member that I'm obviously referring to delete all of his posts?  If not, this banning makes no sense unless you can give me a number.

Now I have further questions.

3 )Who is the legal owner of the posts of individual members on this site?  Answer that carefully, because I have a further question.  

4 )Who is legally responsible for the posts of individual members on this site?

31 minutes ago, Smallc said:

1 ) Why was my thread closed?  

--- because your question misrepresented reality.  Nobody was banned for editing a post. 

REALITY:  Somebody was banned for deleting ALL of his posts and the banning stopped that trolling. 

I had follow up questions.

You started VERY wrong and I have no patience for folks who misrepresent moderator interventions.  

The rest of your questions are irrelevent to folks who do not troll. Just follow the forum rules and guidelines and all will be fine. 

Now, my turn:  What is your best guess of the intentions of a person who deletes ALL of his posts? 

What would YOU do if you were moderator??

What is the difference between permitting a member to delete ALL of his posts and banning the member???

12 minutes ago, Charles Anthony said:

--- because your question misrepresented reality.  Nobody was banned for editing a post. 

REALITY:  Somebody was banned for deleting ALL of his posts and the banning stopped that trolling. 

All of them - all 30,000 posts?  Further, I said edit and or delete - it was an inclusive question.  The proper response would have been to answer each question, not to get all huffy and close the thread.

16 minutes ago, Charles Anthony said:

You started VERY wrong and I have no patience for folks who misrepresent moderator interventions.  

Charles, you've misrepresented your own moderation.by claiming you acted in response to someone deleting all of their post, yet i can still find content by the member.

18 minutes ago, Charles Anthony said:

The rest of your questions are irrelevent to folks who do not troll. Just follow the forum rules and guidelines and all will be fine. 

Trolling and legal ownership/responsibility are not necessarily related things.

19 minutes ago, Charles Anthony said:

Now, my turn:  What is your best guess of the intentions of a person who deletes ALL of his posts? 

What would YOU do if you were moderator??

What is the difference between permitting a member to delete ALL of his posts and banning the member???

If I had ownership of this website, I assure you, things would be very different.

5 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Deleting all/many posts vandalizes the forum.   Additional actions/intentions by such a member are unknown and should not be permitted.

Freedom of expression is never universally accepted.

15 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Deleting all/many posts vandalizes the forum.   Additional actions/intentions by such a member are unknown and should not be permitted.

I understand the need for continuity.  Couldn't there be a deadline on deleting posts?  Within a week, say?

Just now, bcsapper said:

I understand the need for continuity.  Couldn't there be a deadline on deleting posts?  Within a week, say?

Yes, the website could be changed to not allow editing past 1 week, or whatever.

Instead, we have a knee-jerk Mod who gets huffy and bans the member...  

Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

Not if done in such wholesale, malicious fashion.   Many members have deleted individual posts before without consequence.

I understand, but there's no... compassion, dammit!

21 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Throw a tantrum....get suspended / banned.   I suspect that the admin has/will also review this.  

Those who object can make cheesy  signs and go to the airport to protest.

And those who cheer-lead the ban will continue to troll this topic...

I suspect the banning was a culmination of things, as the member in question was known to be extremely insulting towards the moderators on prior occasions - not to mention me, which is why he was on my ignore list.

Nevertheless, I do think banning is an overreaction. If the thousands of posts here are considered to be, in some way, a kind of archive of Canadian political thought then we should be informed of this beforehand, not punished after we try to delete our posts. I also think that simply blocking people from deleting posts after a week or a month or something would be a relatively simple way to deal with the concern of 'the archive' being damaged. I can see people wanting to delete some of the more controversial things they've posted out of concern someone they know might read them, but we all use anon identities here.

But the risk of continued membership includes more than just deletion of his/her own posts.   The next tantrum driven actions might include malicious quotations of other members' posts, image trolling, scripted bot posts, SQL injection, harassing messages, etc.

Once a member exhibits purposely malicious behaviour(s) then it is prudent to not wait for the next tantrum manifestation.   Nobody has the right to MLW membership.

Also, other members have requested that their accounts be suspended and the mods have accommodated them without issue.

I suspect another issue comes with regard to the thread that Charles locked. The opening post was deleted, leaving newcomers with little idea what the damned thread was about, even though there were dozens of pages of conversation which followed. Since there was no longer any OP I guess that was why Charles blocked that topic.