Are we not allowed to edit and or delete our own posts?

Smallc

I think you have to question why would one want to edit a post say they added 2 years ago. If it's to correct the idea or change their opinion I am all for it.

But it would be good to see how their opinion has evolved over time....

For example, one may consider abortion as illegal but changes their mind after several years. It would be good to see how their way of thinking has changed over time. 

1 hour ago, kactus said:

I think you have to question why would one want to edit a post say they added 2 years ago. If it's to correct the idea or change their opinion I am all for it.

But it would be good to see how their opinion has evolved over time....

For example, one may consider abortion as illegal but changes their mind after several years. It would be good to see how their way of thinking has changed over time. 

If their ideology or position had changed from as far back as two years ago.....they're better off to resurrect and post on that thread, and explain their new position.  Changing a previous stance by editing previous statements,  is not the way to go. 

I used to be pro-capital punishment, but I'm not for it now.   What happens if I go all the way back and correct all those to coincide with my current position?  They wouldn't jive with the discussion that was going on at that time.  Viewers who want to read all the way back will get confused.

Edited by betsy

2 minutes ago, betsy said:

If their ideology or position had changed from as far back as two years ago.....they're better off to resurrect and post on that thread, and explain their new position.  Changing a previous stance by editing previous statements,  is not the way to go. 

I used to be pro-capital punishment, but I'm not for it now.   What happens if I go all the way back and correct all those to coincide with my current position?  They wouldn't jive with the discussion that was going on at that time.  Viewers who want to read all the way back will get confused.

That is my point. One should not be able to edit something they have written two years ago whether from a political or moral standpoint. That way you could ascertain how they have evolved.

• Like 1

• Forum Admin
1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Looks like editing is disabled after 90 minutes per Admin post.

And that may be bumped, but lets give things some time to settle in before we make too quick of judgements.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

The present setting is 90 minutes....after that...forever carved in stone.

Correct. 

This is an experimental trial.  If you prefer a longer open time, let us know. 

I am of the opinion that a time is unnecessary.  I would prefer that the editing function stops as soon as a fellow member quotes your post. 

3 hours ago, Charles Anthony said:

I am of the opinion that a time is unnecessary.  I would prefer that the editing function stops as soon as a fellow member quotes your post. 

Why not reads the post?

As I have said before, what we really need is a revision capability. The latest revision should always be shown, but make it easy to see earlier revisions. That way we always have a record, but the author still has the ability to make corrections, etc.

7 hours ago, Charles Anthony said:

No.  You do not need that capability. 

I think it's a great idea. That way we can see the original and the revised post. There are many things we don't 'need' on here, but yet they are here. Like the stupid status updates, they are useless and don't bring ANYTHING to this forum.

I agree with ?Impact, it's a great idea.

• Downvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2017 at 9:49 AM, Greg said:

No one is allowed to delete all their posts - period.  

I'm going to turn on the function that stops members from editing/deleting old postings today.

I didn't turn this feature on in the past because I figured we're all adults here, but I guess i have to evolve my thinking somewhat.

The current system has issues. For example, I cannot fix typos from a post that was made a few hours earlier.

More problematic is that creating any future threads like these:
http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/topic/24698-emission-scenarios-and-economic-impacts-of-climate-change/#comment-1070139
http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/topic/23461-effectsimplications-of-climate-change-on-jetstreams/#comment-954768

Will become basically impossible because they involved a lot of editing of the original post and future posts to update information and correct mistakes.

Can we at least have some members on an exception list so that they can modify old posts?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2017 at 7:25 AM, Charles Anthony said:

I tend to edit my post a few minutes after I posted it - tweaking it.   Some folks are quick to respond to a post.  A few minutes grace period would be nice - let's say 20 minutes?

3 hours ago, betsy said:

I tend to edit my post a few minutes after I posted it - tweaking it.   Some folks are quick to respond to a post.  A few minutes grace period would be nice - let's say 20 minutes?

You know what you do before you hit post?  Re-read your own posts and make adjustments before hitting submit.  I do often, but then I still need to go back and edit here and there for grammar and spelling.

1 minute ago, GostHacked said:

You know what you do before you hit post?  Re-read your own posts and make adjustments before hitting submit.  I do often, but then I still need to go back and edit here and there for grammar and spelling.

Yes I do that....but then, I usually end up wanting to add something....or deleting something....

I don't know why I behave that way.  Sometimes, the 30 minutes time allotted at the other forum isn't enough.   :lol:

Edited by betsy

• 2 weeks later...

This change is sort of changing the behaviour of forum posts to more resemble twitter. People are more likely doing short and simple posts and less likely to post longer and more in depth posts since short simple posts are less likely to have mistakes that you won't be able to correct due to the banning of editing posts.

If I wanted to do political discussions in a twitter format, I would use twitter. One of the advantages of a forum format is that it is supposed to allow for more in depth discussion, but getting rid of post editing eliminates one of the main advantages of a forum format.

I don't really get how 1 person (cybercoma I think) going on 1 post deletion spree in the 10+ years this forum has been around justifies eliminating one of the most essential features of any forum, post editing. The fix is worse than the problem.

• Like 1