What if your employer fired you for supporting Trudeau?

sharkman

Or what if your colleagues ridiculed and mocked you and would no longer associate with you simply because it became clear that you supported JT?  I think I know how most Canadians would respond to to this topic.  Outrage.  Disgust.  It's against our rights to be fired for such a thing.  And having colleagues respond that way would be akin to bigotry, and make one wonder if they were a bunch of red neck conservatives.  People don't treat each other like this in Canada, its wrong and probably should be investigated.  Right?

Well it's happening right now in the United States for people who supported Trump.  They're losing out on work.  Their colleagues are blacklisting them.  The industry they work in is networking to make sure everyone knows about them.  So what do you think about about it now?  Is it still unethical to you, or is it okay because it's a dirty little Trump supporter?

If someone were denied a job because of how they voted, that would be an actionable offence. I have a feeling, given the lack of citation, that isn't really happening. More likely that really dumb, poorly qualified people are not getting the jobs they shouldn't get and trying to be victims about it. 

4 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Isn't employment in most of the States 'at will', which means that people can be fired for any old reason, or none?  In which case, would these firings (if they're really happening) be actionable?

There are progressive labour regulations that prevent political discrimination in the workplace. So, in answer to the OP, if someone were fired for supporting Justin Trudeau, there is a system in place where action can be taken against that employer. Similar "anti-employer" regulations are in place in the U.S. so, if the fake news he subscribes to does one day turn out to be true and if that system hasn't been dismantled yet by Trump, those employees will have recourse.

Link on Quora  from someone who says he/she was fired for supporting Trump:

Team talking about politics, not paying close attention to why, working as an SWE, one asks who I voted, I said trump without paying attention to why, he got up & called me racist, led to domino effect calling me sexist, anti-semetic, team gathered around screaming, got fired.

Same link has this from a woman who says she is a lawyer:

At the federal level, it is permitted for private employers to fire someone for their political views or their voting choices. It is not legal to fire someone for their political views or their voting choices in a government job. The reason for this is that this would be a violation of the First Amendment. But the First Amendment does not apply to private employers, broadly speaking.

ETA:  Not saying it's right, by the way.   Also, I know it wouldn't fly in Canada, but am not sure what the OP wants to discuss - lack of employee rights in the States, gratitude for employee rights in Canada, or how awful Liberals are because someone who supported Trump got fired .... 

Edited by dialamah

1 hour ago, kimmy said:

Of course it's unacceptable.  And it's actionable as well, if someone can prove they were fired (or not hired) because of their political views

Chances of being able to do that is nil if you are looking for a job because there are always plenty of valid reason to reject a candidate.

Although it does sound like fake news the fact is people who don't follow the party line on climate change have been blacklisted/ostracized in the climate science field for years. Skeptical scientists have decided to leave the field all together because of the climate which is hostile to non-conformers. It would not surprise me to hear that this is going on in some fields with people who claim to support Trump. It is all to typical for the self-righteous lefties who have turned their political opinions in a fundamentalist religion.

Edited by TimG

If you are a shopkeeper, and put a Make America Great again sign in your window and I decide to shop next door instead am I violating any rules?

Food for thought. Your vote is private and if you choose to keep it private then good on you. Once you make your vote public, engage in promoting a cause, etc. then all is fair game.

Who cares?   People have been passed over for employment for a couple centuries because of the colour of their skin.   

If someone doesn't want to hire someone because they walked into the interview with a "MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN" ball cap on....   well, so be it   

32 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

Who cares?   People have been passed over for employment for a couple centuries because of the colour of their skin.   

If someone doesn't want to hire someone because they walked into the interview with a "MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN" ball cap on....   well, so be it   

Wasn't there a Canadian judge asked to step down from the bench for doing that? Yes there was, even after he apologized. I thought that was a little harsh, but then, forgiveness is not a virtue among the left.

Justice Bernd Zabel, who declared his support for Donald Trump in court, is no longer presiding in court, according to a spokeswoman for the Ontario Court of Justice.

Link

42 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

Oh sure, I agree completely. If one is okay with denying someone employment because of the colour of their skin, denying them employment due to their political affiliation is no big deal.  It's just that I am not.

Edited by bcsapper

42 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

So you solution for bigotry is more bigotry? I am of the opinion that supporters of "progressive" causes are the worst bigots we have in society today. It appears you think this is a good thing which makes you quite the hypocrite whenever you complain about discrimination.

Edited by TimG

10 hours ago, The_Squid said:

How does one spot a Trump voter if they aren't being an ass, racist or innapropriate in some other way?

Idk, maybe the same way we spot the sort of trash who does this.

https://t.co/YHYvYD5Rn2

Or maybe thinking people who think its ok to blacklist people for voting a certain way is enough, like you, and the other lesser lights in this thread, hey, maybe that guy posts here.

Another aspect of this was the artists that were to perform at the inauguration events.  An actual witch hunt ensued, with the fury of a woman scorned.  Jackie Evancho, Jennifer Holiday, Toby Keith to name a few, but most wouldn't go near Trump for fear of Facebook hate pages and death threats, which these artists received.  

Then there was the black witch hunt.  Any African American who dared to be seen at the Trump tower was attacked and mocked relentlessly.  Steve Harvey was called a mediocre negro being dragged in front of TV as a photo-op.  This on that wonderful bastion of open minded discussion, CNN.  Democrats preach tolerance, but I guess it comes with strings attached.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sharkman said:

Another aspect of this was the artists that were to perform at the inauguration events.  An actual witch hunt ensued, with the fury of a woman scorned.  Jackie Evancho, Jennifer Holiday, Toby Keith to name a few, but most wouldn't go near Trump for fear of Facebook hate pages and death threats, which these artists received.  

Then there was the black witch hunt.  Any African American who dared to be seen at the Trump tower was attacked and mocked relentlessly.  Steve Harvey was called a mediocre negro being dragged in front of TV as a photo-op.  This on that wonderful bastion of open minded discussion, CNN.  Democrats preach tolerance, but I guess it comes with strings attached.

Snoop by far led the most disgraceful rant. I thought better of him...ill placed.

15 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Wasn't there a Canadian judge asked to step down from the bench for doing that? Yes there was, even after he apologized. I thought that was a little harsh, but then, forgiveness is not a virtue among the left.

Justice Bernd Zabel, who declared his support for Donald Trump in court, is no longer presiding in court, according to a spokeswoman for the Ontario Court of Justice.

Link

According to the article, it was due to his blatant lack of impartiality in court, not because he supported Donald Trump.   I'd expect the same if a judge wore a hat saying "Trudeau Rocks!" and then announced in open court his support for Trudeau.

Also, it's not because the left is lacking forgiveness that the judge isn't hearing cases; it's because their disciplinary process hasn't finished; the 2-person panel composed of a judge and a community member, can decide on a reprimand, suspension or removal.   I personally think that a reprimand would be enough. 

forgiveness is not a virtue among the left.

Now, if you'd been able to read and understand the entire article you could have avoided making this idiotic generalization.  

3 hours ago, DogOnPorch said:

Snoop by far led the most disgraceful rant. I thought better of him...ill placed.

Yeah, that was ugly.  He was almost threatening any black who would perform at the inauguration.  And the MSM was, of course, pretty much fine with this and the other factors I mentioned.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

The Republicans had an active campaign to boycott Bradley Cooper (American Sniper) because he appeared at the DNC. There is absolutely nothing new here.

Nothing comes close to the hate and vitriol emanating from the left. All these people are doing is ensuring that Trump will get a second term.

1 minute ago, TimG said:

Nothing comes close to the hate and vitriol emanating from the left. All these people are doing is ensuring that Trump will get a second term.

Give me a break, every time someone from Hollywood talks about climate change the self-identified 'right' spew more hate than all the smokestacks in the world combined spewing C02. This victim card is getting tired. Trump supporters are not victims, and pretending they are is childish.

22 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

Give me a break, every time someone from Hollywood talks about climate change the self-identified 'right' "sane" spew more hate "common sense" than all the smokestacks in the world combined spewing C02. This victim card is getting tired. Trump supporters are not victims, and pretending they are is childish.

Fixed your quote for you. 

A Trump supporter is only a victim if they lose their job, or get their hair set on fire, or other such stuff, for being a Trump supporter.