Section for Newbies?

betsy

I'm a newbie  :)

It would be nice to have a thread where people could introduce themselves.  I'm mostly here to learn, so I read a lot more than I comment.  I'm enjoying many of the older topics/threads.

I would really like to say that I enjoy reading everyone's thoughts and links, even if I don't agree with everything.  I do consider carefully and thoughtfully what everyone says.  The wealth of knowledge here is amazing.

Edited by Goddess

1 hour ago, Charles Anthony said:

Betsy, 
You did it. 

Personally, I do not see a need but you just created a thread in which newbies can introduce themselves.  Have at it. 

Well personally I think it's a good idea.  This could be the thread, but it would be better if it were not buried so that older posters won't often see it to welcome the new members, at least not until much later (by which point they probably would have already left the site).  Most of the other forums I'm on have a dedicated welcome section for new members to create a thread to introduce themselves.

At the very least I'd say betsy should maybe start another thread titled "New Members Introductions" or something, and then Charles you could possibly sticky the thread to the top of this forum section, or better yet to the top of the "Federal Politics" section so everyone would see it.  We need all the new members we can get, and for them to stick around.  Treating them like we care is a good start.

5 hours ago, Goddess said:

I'm a newbie  :)

It would be nice to have a thread where people could introduce themselves.  I'm mostly here to learn, so I read a lot more than I comment.  I'm enjoying many of the older topics/threads.

I would really like to say that I enjoy reading everyone's thoughts and links, even if I don't agree with everything.  I do consider carefully and thoughtfully what everyone says.  The wealth of knowledge here is amazing.

And you're a quality newbie, I've been enjoying your posts, thanks for posting!

See everyone, that worked out pretty well B)

Edited by Moonlight Graham

14 hours ago, ?Impact said:

Perhaps there should be a top level welcome message that encourages new members to fill out their profile as a means of introduction.

I reckon if somebody cares to learn about a fellow member, that somebody can click on that fellow member's profile page and read. 

My previous thoughts have not changed.

4 minutes ago, drummindiver said:

I wonder if expressing an opinion will get me banned? 

No.  Please read the forum rules and guidelines ---- most of them are intuitive.

Non-stop derailment of threads and feeding off-topic discussion are offenses. 

2 minutes ago, Charles Anthony said:

No.  Please read the forum rules and guidelines ---- most of them are intuitive.

Non-stop derailment of threads and feeding off-topic discussion are offenses. 

Thanks for the information Charles. I've read the rules and understand them.   The post you deleted was indeed directly related to the OP.  What would the reason then be for deleting that post if not the fact  you disagreed with my opinion.