Kevin O'Leary & Pierre-Karl Péladeau

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Omni said:

Harper limited access to only the reporters he liked (of course), and then limited them to 5 questions. And that from a man who promised more transparent government. Ha ha ha is about all you can say to that.

Every young journalist wants to meet Justin Trudeau. And Trudeau takes selfies with them.

Omni, what's your point?

====

IMHO, a leader in a civilized society knows how to say "no". Lucien Bouchard explained this better than I can.

Edited by August1991

21 minutes ago, Omni said:

Harper limited access to only the reporters he liked (of course), and then limited them to 5 questions. And that from a man who promised more transparent government. Ha ha ha is about all you can say to that.

You said he was afraid, that is not the same thing.

He didn't reward journalists who were unprofessional and unethical. He did plenty of long sit downs with ones who reported accurately.

Also, his government was several orders of magnitude more transparent than the current one, and than most of the ones before him.

Edited by Bryan

22 minutes ago, August1991 said:

Every young journalist wants to meet Justin Trudeau. And Trudeau takes selfies with them.

Omni, what's your point?

====

IMHO, a leader in a civilized society knows how to say "no". Lucien Bouchard explained this better than I can.

The point is he's not afraid of the press. If people want a selfie that's up to them n'est pas?

20 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Also, his government was several orders of magnitude more transparent than the current one, and than most of the ones before him.

You'd have one hell of a time convincing anyone who was paying attention during his 9 years of that.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/stephen-harpers-five-question-limit/article579733/

Edited by Omni

Yet, as I pointed out to O’Leary, countries are more than economic engines. What about culture, identity, nationhood? What about not speaking French? I reminded him that his comments to Postmedia’s David Akin, especially his belief that, having been born in Montreal, he knows how Quebec works despite not knowing the language spoken by 82 per cent of the population, were not well received in the province (a word Quebec nationalists hate).

The province’s foremost political commentator and former federal Liberal Transport minister Jean Lapierre editorialized that O’Leary’s comment was the most arrogant thing he’d ever heard. The Gazette’s city columnist Basem Boshran declared “nonsensical” O’Leary’s apparent “unwillingness to be conversant in both of this country’s official languages” if he runs for high office.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/lise-ravary-kevin-oleary-and-the-french

2 hours ago, Omni said:

You'd have one hell of a time convincing anyone who was paying attention during his 9 years of that.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/stephen-harpers-five-question-limit/article579733/

Intelligent people know that it's true. Liars with an agenda claim otherwise. It's not a coincidence that those are the very people whom he stopped talking to. Legitimate journalists got plenty of access, activists pretending to be journalists did not.

Besides that, the article is talking about his two to three a day campaign stops, not his government.

4 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Intelligent people know that it's true. Liars with an agenda claim otherwise. It's not a coincidence that those are the very people whom he stopped talking to. Legitimate journalists got plenty of access, activists pretending to be journalists did not.

Besides that, the article is talking about his two to three a day campaign stops, not his government.

He did the same thing all through the latter part of his time in office. And he decided the handful of "legitimate" journalists, (5 in total) that he let into a briefing.  

Just now, Omni said:

He did the same thing all through the latter part of his time in office. And he decided the handful of "legitimate" journalists, (5 in total) that he let into a briefing.  

He hid from the press the same way he hid from the provincial premiers. One year in and JT has had 3 meetings with all in. Not all ended in finalized agreements, but if you listen to the premiers they all say at least now we are talking. To me that has to be a step in the right direction.

If it takes this long for O'Leary to make up his mind - it doesn't say much about him! 

He's asking Canadians if he should run!  Heck, why ask me? What do I know about you?  :) 

Do you want to run?  Do you want the responsibility and the challenge? Do you think you have something valuable to offer to Canada?  What do you have in mind?   - questions to serve as the basis, aren't they?

Trump, he's not.  He's too afraid to make a decision!

Edited by betsy

4 minutes ago, betsy said:

If it takes this long for O'Leary to make up his mind - it doesn't say much about him! 

I tend to agree, I was very supportive of the notion of an O'Leary run, but his recent statements and fence sitting have put me all in behind Mad Max......

Just now, Derek 2.0 said:

I tend to agree, I was very supportive of the notion of an O'Leary run, but his recent statements and fence sitting have put me all in behind Mad Max......

There's good fire in Leitch.  I don't think she's easily cowed.  When the time comes....I'll take a real close look at her.

16 minutes ago, betsy said:

There's good fire in Leitch.  I don't think she's easily cowed.  When the time comes....I'll take a real close look at her.

No French language = Not Prime Minister material...

Never mind the fact that she's a nutcase.

9 minutes ago, betsy said:

Coming from you.....

........that must mean she's really good!  She's dah one!

I hope so!  It will mean the Conservatives won't have a hope of becoming government.Go Kellie!

Conservative leadership candidate Kellie Leitch’s campaign manager, Nick Kouvalis, admitted Monday night to sharing false information

Leitch campaign manager gloats about spreading false info

https://ipolitics.ca/2017/01/03/leitch-campaign-manager-gloats-about-spreading-false-info/

This opinion piece summed it up nicely...

... the vile brand of politics her candidacy has unleashed won’t go away any time soon. It’s bringing the lunatic fringe (the mainstream media euphemistically calls her methods “populist”) out of the woodwork. There’ll be more Leitches in our future if we don’t stand up to this one.

Only, a small part of me hopes she does win, since that would certainly draw a clear line for moderates and hardliners in the CPC – and finish the job of relegating the party to its rightful place as a former Reform rump. The slow descent into that abyss has been happening ever since Harper took over after the merger of the Reform offshoot Canadian Alliance and PCs in 2003. Leitch would finish the job. In fact, we’re seeing a similar schism between Wildrose and PCs in Alberta.

https://nowtoronto.com/news/think-free-blog/kellie-leitch-shoots-to-thrill/

Edited by The_Squid

On 1/3/2017 at 1:28 AM, August1991 said:

No Conservative ever gets many seats in Quebec. I think Quebecers would respond to the proper message from him if he has a Quebec lieutenant who he proposes as deputy prime minister. I think they'd respond better, at any rate, than to a social conservative like Scheer who's bilingual.

1 hour ago, The_Squid said:

I hope so!  It will mean the Conservatives won't have a hope of becoming government.Go Kellie!

Unfortunately, you could be right on that. 

UNLESS something remarkable happens in the USA under Trump, and Canadians  want what Americans are having! 

Btw, Fox mentioned Kellie Leitch.  She's getting attention.  Maybe Trump will notice?

http://nation.foxnews.com/2016/12/29/trump-populism-comes-canada-conservatives-seek-leader

Edited by betsy