How Fake News Goes Viral

9 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

I don't believe that....carriage of U.S. and other foreign networks is common for Canadian cable television providers. 

Non sequiter.  

Fake news is not illegal in the United States, but it is in Canada.

Care to show us the legislation that makes it illegal?

21 minutes ago, Bryan said:

90% of the time, the person referencing those stations saw a clip someone shared on the internet. Ditto for knowing the names  -- someone told them who they were. It's REALLY rare for a Canadian to watch any US news channels. It doesn't even register on the Numeris ratings.

Still not buying it....because U.S. "content" matters so much in Canada, it is logical and practical that many Canadians would subscribe to and watch U.S. news networks.   Here is an example from the G&M:

On Tuesday, after a long and gruelling campaign, American voters will finally determine the next president of the United States. One big U.S. winner, however, has already been crowned in Canada: CNN.

The Atlanta-based U.S. cable news network has seen ratings soar in Canada in the run up to the presidential election, “Trumping” the competition.

For the final presidential debate on Oct. 19, CNN saw its share of Canadian viewers climb above the 1.5 million mark in overnight estimates. Broken down into half-hour periods, CNN pulled an estimated 1.2, 1.3, 1.5 and 1.1 million viewers between the hours of 9:30 p.m. and 11:30 p.m. ET.

That dwarfs the overnight estimates registered by CBC News Network, which drew 428,000, 400,000, 300,000 and 194,000 on the same day and times. Further behind was CTV News Channel, clocking in at 112,000, 117,000, 125,000 and 108,000 estimated viewers.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/cnn-gets-big-boost-in-canada-from-coverage-of-presidential-election/article32677306/

Even the so called "fake news" outlets cited by Canadians are often U.S. based.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

19 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

CRTC Regulations....prohibit false or misleading news.   Except for the CBC when it comes to Israel, of course.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2011/2011-308.htm

Show us the section and paragraph(s) in the CRTC regulations that exempt the CBC from producing fake news when it comes to Israel.

Edited by eyeball

18 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Still not buying it....because U.S. "content" matters so much in Canada, it is logical and practical than many Canadians would subscribe to and watch U.S. news networks.   Here is an example from the G&M:

1.5 million. So less than half of one per cent of the population. Even less than I thought. I was being way too generous when I said I thought it might be 10 percent!!

None of those stations listed in your article were even in the top 30.

http://assets.numeris.ca/Downloads/October 17, 2016 - October 23, 2016 (National).pdf

Lots of American SHOWS in the top thirty, but no American CHANNELS. The only news program in the top thirty was CTV at 18.

Also note something else in that article. It says CNN has better ratings than FOX News in the US. Do you believe that to be accurate? Because I sure don't.

3 minutes ago, Bryan said:

1.5 million. So less than half of one per cent of the population. Even less than I thought. I was being way too generous when I said I thought it might be 10 percent!!

That's not how television cable ratings are measured.   CNN even had more viewers than Canada's own CBC News.   Further, other U.S. networks were watched as well, boosting the number of Canadians watching U.S. news channels.    Canadians watching U.S. news content is neither rare or surprising.

Also note something else in that article. It says CNN has better ratings than FOX News in the US. Do you believe that to be accurate? Because I sure don't.

For election night coverage, yes I do believe that.   Otherwise, FOX News dominates U.S. cable news ratings and has done so for many years.

26 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

That's not how television cable ratings are measured.   CNN even had more viewers than Canada's own CBC News.  

More than CBC's News CHANNEL, sure. Nobody in Canada watches that either. More than CBC news on the main CBC network? Not a chance 

Further, lets revisit how CNN's ratings in Canada are in December or January. A spike to a puny 1.5 during THAT specific election is understandable, but they aren't keeping any measurable number of those viewers down the road, you can bet your house on that.

5 minutes ago, Bryan said:

More than CBC's News CHANNEL, sure. Nobody in Canada watches that either. More than CBC news on the main CBC network? Not a chance 

OK...apples to apples...more Canadians watched U.S. cable news sources over the CBC or CTV.    Makes sense...it was U.S. "content".

Further, lets revisit how CNN's ratings in Canada are in December or January. A spike to a puny 1.5 during THAT specific election is understandable, but they aren't keeping any measurable number of those viewers down the road, you can bet your house on that.

I don't know that....carriage of U.S. networks and broadcast stations is a priority for Canadian cable companies and the CRTC.   Must be a reason for that.  IIRC, U.S. cable television content is what made services in Canada financially viable in the first place.   Take away all the U.S. content, and the CBC could not carry the day.

Fake news is just more of the backlash against MSM and content control.   America's YouTube is also very popular in Canada.

9 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Fake news is just more of the backlash against MSM and content control.

What the heck is content control?

And while you're at it.

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

CRTC Regulations....prohibit false or misleading news.   Except for the CBC when it comes to Israel, of course.

Show us the section and paragraph(s) in the CRTC regulations that exempt the CBC from producing fake news when it comes to Israel.

3 minutes ago, eyeball said:

What the heck is content control?

Don't shine me on....the CRTC's CanCon rules are famous for content control.

Huh ?   That doesn't even make any sense.   I have to find the CRTC regs and explain them to you as well ?  

6 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Don't shine me on....the CRTC's CanCon rules are famous for content control.  

Yes I know, but that doesn't include fake news content at CBC News.

Huh ?   That doesn't even make any sense.   I have to find the CRTC regs and explain them to you as well ?

No, you have to find them to back up your non-sensical statement that the CBC is exempt from producing fake news when it comes to Israel.  Here, allow me rub your nose in it one more time for you;

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

4 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Yes I know, but that doesn't include fake news content at CBC News.

Why do think CBC News is so special ?   It has very low ratings in Canada because it....sucks ?

No, you have to find them to back up your non-sensical statement that the CBC is exempt from producing fake news when it comes to Israel.  Here, allow me rub your nose in it one more time for you;

What are you talking about?  I specifically cited the CRTC regulation prohibiting false and misleading news (because you couldn't / wouldn't ).

Fake CBC news about Israel routinely gets rubbed into the CBC's face, so they provide corrections/retractions.   Rinse and repeat.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

What are you talking about?

I'm talking about this;

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Where's the exemption in the CRTC regs that allow the CBC to produce fake news when it comes to Israel?

3 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

I don't know that....carriage of U.S. networks and broadcast stations is a priority for Canadian cable companies and the CRTC.   Must be a reason for that.  IIRC, U.S. cable television content is what made services in Canada financially viable in the first place.   Take away all the U.S. content, and the CBC could not carry the day.

Televisions SHOWS yes. Channels, NO. I already showed you the TV ratings. Not a single US channel is in the top 30 in Canada..

27 minutes ago, Omni said:

BC seems to like to think Canadians pay all this attention to things US, but then drones on continuously about all things Canadian. I betcha he watches a lot more CBC than any of us watch Fox. 

Yup. We aren't the ones posting on a US politics site.

6 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Televisions SHOWS yes. Channels, NO. I already showed you the TV ratings. Not a single US channel is in the top 30 in Canada..

If it's American prime time content, what difference does the channel make except for ad revenue, which would be much lower with only the CBC and fake CBC News dreck ?

18 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

If it's American prime time content, what difference does the channel make except for ad revenue, which would be much lower with only the CBC and fake CBC News dreck ?

Different ads, different PSAs, different NEWS, and it's a mix of Canadian and American content. There are no Canadian channels that only show US content.

1 minute ago, Bryan said:

Different ads, different PSAs, different NEWS, and it's a mix of Canadian and American content. There are no Canadian channels that only show US content.

Of course not....that would be illegal because of CanCon even if they wanted to.   Except for Quebec, U.S. based content remains the prime time draw for revenue, complete with simsub.   Other American media sources dominate the Canadian market as well, from (dying) print to the interwebs.    That's where "fake news" can make the greatest penetration compared to carriage of grandpa's favourite American network(s).

News and political junkies are not going to be satisfied with just what is available from strictly Canadian media.   The CBC routinely uses AP and other American feeds for news content, science pieces, business/financials, entertainment, etc.